Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheseyez View Post
I'm wondering why anybody would ever be sorry about Tecno being dead
So edgy.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
I didn't say that some didn't do that. No argument there. In Marika's case specifically, I think she knows she looks good, and does play it up. I'm actually fine with that. She also changes her hair color with each gig too, wears some out there clothing regardless of how skimpy, etc. She's going tthe rock-star angle/route, and definitely leaning a bit on the sexy side, and I for one don't really care. She plays an excellent techno set, can play on discs or vinyl, and also makes plenty of her own music. As far as I'm concerned she's a pretty cool artist.

You don't have to agree with her aesthetic, but she's doing it, it's quite obviously her choice, nobody is holding her back otherwise.

There are tons of female DJs that don't go this route. Paula Temple is a gorgeous, natural beauty who wears normal clothes, and plays absolutely brutal techno sets. Fernanda Martins is largely the same. Great sets, (a few six hour sets) widely varied styles, technically good sets, wears t-shirts.

Amelie Lens wears baggy sweatshirts half the time.

Charlotte de Witte? T-Shirts most of the time, I've seen her in sweaters, ski-gear, etc.

Some of these ladies even model, separately, and then wear normal every-day clothes to gigs.

Sure, there are others that quite obviously lean way on their looks, with little underlying depth. However, once again, that's a choice. There are plenty that don't do this, and are still pretty big in the scheme of things.

I'm seeing this get applied as a blanket scenario here, when quite clearly it doesn't fit many artists, and many of the ones I've posted examples of. In fact, Marika Rossa is the only one that I posted, and I even said, "leans a bit toward the glam side". She's a force to be reckoned with though. She doesn't remotely seem the type to bow to other people's standards. If you know differently, feel free to correct me.

Making judgement calls on the public-facing personas of performers is kind of ridiculous. Unless you know who these people are, what do you know about it?

I'm not blind, I'm just not judging these people.

Also, Instagram... ...that's part of your problem right there.

Even some Metal scenes have their glammed out artists and crowds. Not all, but in their own way, many do.

As far as male DJs go, sure, most of them just wear whatever, but there are plenty that dress up, some that dress down, some that wear gimmicky rodent masks :P Some are even spastic self-proclaimed "super-stars". That's fine too. As a performer, you can present yourself however you like. I think if someone's got an advantage, and wants to get seen, they'd be silly not to take it. I mean, if becoming a big thing is even your goal.

That's an entirely different subject though.

Oh, also, I only think it's blatantly sexist if it's forced in some way. If you've got a flamboyant bombastic artist that likes going around half-clothed with crazy rock and roll hair, then great. If the same artist does NOT want to be like that, and someone holds them back because of it, then that's a problem, and I'm right with you. It's not as clear cut as that of course, and I'm aware of the changing social climates these days, but I'm also for personal accountability. If your career path is taking you somewhere you don't feel like you should go, then go somewhere else. Or try another way, or try harder, or bolster your other peripheral skills to get around that. The world is definitely not perfect, but we're talking about Techno here. A little perspective helps.
For a second there, I thought we were talking about Elvis Presley. Tight pants, gyrating hips, did he really need the looks to push his career???

But when women do it.....

Now, Lords of Acid are a different story.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut
Techno isn't so much a genre, it's more of a method, like jazz is a method, or rock is. It's machine music with a machine like aesthetic. It's not about a 4 to the floor kick drum or even about DJing (tho both became a prominent part of techno over the years, just like like saxofone became an prominent part of jazz, even if the clarinette was there first). It's also not about keeping it pure, Kraftwerk, Detroit, the UK rave scene, the Frankfurt scene, ... they all had different versions of this machine music and over the '80s and '90s (and after) it evolved, mixed up and influenced genres in many ways. As long as people enjoy making music with machines, techno can not die.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _musique View Post
Techno isn't so much a genre, it's more of a method, like jazz is a method, or rock is. It's machine music with a machine like aesthetic. It's not about a 4 to the floor kick drum or even about DJing (tho both became a prominent part of techno over the years, just like like saxofone became an prominent part of jazz, even if the clarinette was there first). It's also not about keeping it pure, Kraftwerk, Detroit, the UK rave scene, the Frankfurt scene, ... they all had different versions of this machine music and over the '80s and '90s (and after) it evolved, mixed up and influenced genres in many ways. As long as people enjoy making music with machines, techno can not die.
Agreed, it is more of an ethos that guides music making
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Agreed, it is more of an ethos that guides music making
I don't have a problem with this definition and philosophy, but it's definitely not universally understood, and - for many years - Techno definitely had a clearly recognizable and pretty consistent sound, and is/was a legit genre, sound wise.

If it's changed, 70% of the people never got that memo.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I don't have a problem with this definition and philosophy, but it's definitely not universally understood, and - for many years - Techno definitely had a clearly recognizable and pretty consistent sound, and is/was a legit genre, sound wise.

If it's changed, 70% of the people never got that memo.
it is much more an observation/cultural commentary/opinion from a history of art perspective than a "fact" or rule people have to comply.

Like when we look to past art/cultural movements.

Last edited by login; 12th April 2019 at 06:27 PM..
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
it is much more an observation/cultural commentary/opinion from a history of art perspective than a "fact" or rule people have to comply.

Like when we look to past art/cultural movements.
Cool, cool. It's a solid philosophy.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where to begin.
First, "unmelodic". That's Techno. If it was melodic, it would be another genre.
Yeah, EBM.

Quote:
By definition, getting paid to do something makes you a professional.
I prefer the idea that your current occupation makes you a 'professional'.
At the end of the year when your employer gives you the W-2 form; your job 'title' is right there for all to see.

Of course, if you are self employed, you can write anything on the IRS Form 1040 as your 'job' position.

In the past, I have sold a few paintings and I did fix a few pianos, alas, not as a full time gig; yet.

Cheers,
~HW
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Of course, if you are self employed, you can write anything on the IRS Form 1040 as your 'job' position.
Here in LA, everyone fibs about how they make a living. But I've only run into one person who's conflicted about it. And I don't even know her -- I was eavesdropping in a bar.

"So next week I'm gonna be on 'Jeopardy.' When Alex asks me, should I tell him I'm a sexual surrogate?"
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Here in LA, everyone fibs about how they make a living. But I've only run into one person who's conflicted about it. [...]
I am a bike courier since 1981 and still going strong.

Old 14th July 2020
So I've read through most of this and below are my thoughts. It's an interesting post, and for the most part I agree with the original poster.

Is Techno dead? Yes and no. As recent as 1995, had you asked me if Techno would be around in 2020, I would have told you "Nobody will have even HEARD or Techno in 2020". So the fact it's even known is surprising to me. I guess when you are extremely close with something fron its infancy, you never realize how large it gets.

I been rocking wuth Techno since 1986. I was in Toronto the summer of 86 and would go to Detroit, sneak in to these clubs and watch these these "Techno bands". By 1989 I was full fledge making as good as songs as anything out there, playing live in different venues varying from 50-500 people. Studio work was expensive then, and people only did it hoping for a ROI, which I never looked at Techno as a revenue stream. At the most it was pocket money, although I am featured on two tracks for an international compilation CD series called Radikal Tekno. I designed both songs as well as laying the bass lines and VOX for each, while in Belguim (this was either 90 or 91).

I read one comment about that Techno isn't a "genre". Honestly, I stopped reading after that, as alas...we've come to 50% of problem at hand. Complete and utter misinformation. I'm unsure if these folks are real life Cliff Clavins, or if they have been fed misinformation and pound their chest while spewing it as they claim it's fact, but the problem as I see it is:
1. 50% - most people making music today don't truly understand what Techno is (and it's not like it's that hard to get your pulse on it)
2. There is no progression of the souund. If anything it's regressed.

#2 is due to the fact no one is MAKING music anymore. The true musicians are either flying completely under the radar, or selling out by selling midi-packs and what not. So now it comes down to simply math. (EXAMPLE NUMBERS): You have 10 people selling "Techno Midi-packs" Of those 10, only 6 of them truly understand the sound of Techno. They each create 2 midi-packs they sell to 2,000 people consuming those midi-pakcs and "making Techno music". So you 2,000 making Techno music off of 12 midi-packs.

But let's think about Music itself. This is real simple: We have gone from:
1. What is the next new sound.
to
2. Who will be the next new star?

In other words, one thing we can all agree on, when it comes to music and it's popularity, the music itself is an after-thought. In fact, I predict within the next 20 years we will have a grammy winner who has never released a single song. I repeat. sometime between 2021 ans 2040, there will be a person or persons who win "Best Artist" or "Best New Artist" and they have yet to release ANY music. All someone has to do is put an animal head or something real goofy like that to capture the attention fo gullible youth, and tell them they make music. The kids don't f*ck if the "cool guy" makes music or not. They are just enamored with the peronslity in front of them.

In all candor, this is the sole reason I give everything away. Mark my words, I could create midi-packs (that would be, IMO, as hard as anything out there), and crank one out DAILY (I work super-fast)...but my goal is to balance it out, and show people "don't spend your money on that...here ya go, this is the real for ya...for free".

To that end, I am creeping up on 2k beats (comprised of 30+ genres). I have a website 90% baked right now with about 1200 of the beats on it. I assure you there is something for everyone (today I focused on 2-Step Garage). It's a perfect setup because my jaw is dropping at the prowess of today's machines, so I am GOING OFF. Know that. #AllFreeAllTheTime . I think you will all be impressed with the quality and breadth of music on it, and 1in all candor there should not be a reason to spend money on any beats going forward while I am around. As I do custom beats and all you have to do is point me to a beat where someone is charging and I will recreate it and make it better for free.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

This is why the only way left to be a music producer is just to make pop and get scantily clad youths to, "sing and look pretty," while fixing every little error with autotune, melodyne, variaudio, vocalign, or whatever you are using in this, "genre," of, "fix any vocal," software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKaBitchBeats View Post
In other words, one thing we can all agree on, when it comes to music and it's popularity, the music itself is an after-thought. In fact, I predict within the next 20 years we will have a grammy winner who has never released a single song. I repeat. sometime between 2021 ans 2040, there will be a person or persons who win "Best Artist" or "Best New Artist" and they have yet to release ANY music. All someone has to do is put an animal head or something real goofy like that to capture the attention fo gullible youth, and tell them they make music. The kids don't f*ck if the "cool guy" makes music or not. They are just enamored with the peronslity in front of them.
I was listening to Whitney Houston earlier today... and let me tell you, "Whitney Houston vs today's garbage." OMFG.

There is no music. Music production is, "who will be my scantily clad vocalist, and which plug should I initiate - autotune, or melodyne?"

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 14th July 2020 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: tori spelling
Old 14th July 2020
So to throw a nasty curve ball in to this....Trance is MAD SCARY right now. Oh my. Listen, I know Techno much better than Trance, but I prefer the Trance genre.

It comes down to one genre stayed progressive and the other didn't. The clearest delineation is location/culture. Techno: USA / Trance: GER/EE. I'm not gonna lie, the European "EDM" scene was kind of haughty back then. Like around '93 you started getting these Hans and Fritz with those beedy rounded glasses in black turtlenecks, wigged out on the "Trip" playing MEAN TRANCE. I mean real FOUL stuff. Ugh.

So that is what Trance has always been about and to this day some of these cats are really sick. Trance has PROGRESSED. Lot's of unique sounds and structures....you know in the end (or as of now) I wonder which one has been most popular? I always viewed Techno as the All-American jock and Trance as the bully thug.

So why didn't Techno make it?

I can only imagine many real Techno guys back then, did as myself and said "Welp. It's time to get married and raise a family," ie. Get a real job. I mean no one aspired to be a Techno DJ back then. We thought it was going to be EXTREMELY short lived. Perhaps that's why it came out so hard. By 1990 we knew that it was word wide, but also realized it was very niche. Thus the reason for the hierarchy (which I can explain my understanding as working with industry media at that time (a few rags) the media was helping shape the structure of 'electronic' music.

I had the opportunity once to talk with Neil Peart (I had met him once before but it was just high (I won't pretend to be a long-awaited friend) / shake his hand and keep it moving.. while he gets mobbed.

But I had his attention once while in Toronto (where I'm from).. I had to ask him what was up with the synthesizers and to keep it honest--he schooled me.
He started talking about how if Rush would have stayed with the same sounds and structures (I remember those words clearly) from the past they wouldn't be Rush and basically told me they are a progressive band and so they are always pushing the envelope. At any single moment there will be people that love it and people that hate it. All they can do is create what they love and hope other have the same taste...[Nerdy Neil laugh]. He also explained how he felt the old sounds were antiquated, etc ". He was very cool to me though as i like 19. Ironically if you read "Ghost Rider" we end up on the same life paths at the same age starting (read and you will understand)...and I was about to try and reach out to him, but he passed right as I had started to. Very sad on all fronts.
Old 14th July 2020
One little side note about Techno being a genre or not, as I found it interesting that was actually written above. He might have been joking for all I know because I did not even go past that...if he is serious, why does it matter his reasoning and I do cringe at things like that, just being honest, not trying to be rude].

However he is misinformed is on him. I've seen them all it seems. I read recently where someone said "the media came up with all the genres/subgenres...." and that's almost true. The media COMMUNICATED the genres and in doing so structured it so that people in Detroit knew what people in Dallas were doing. So we might say "Dallas calls it X and Detroit Y and Baltimore A, Berlin T": but they all mean Z. Remember, on internet, and it's not like this was making the nightly news (world-wide), ha ha

I will tell you some real history. When this whole hierarchy was being designed it became a "bit (at least with everyone I knew), By that, we were categorizing each new sound. It was like "Oh you play X...? We play Y." Everything was about "the new sound" as I don't think there was a more drastic change in music save for the early 70's and of course mid-50s. Those are the big eras in the past century. Mid-50's/Early 70's/Late 80's

So I am certainly not going to even debate this, but only tell you without fail, 100% Techno was a full fledged genre. In fact, I did not even start using the term genre until I got in to Techno. Something tells me I almost was involved with an album called "Techno the new Super Genre" or "What is Techno? A musical genre."

Was that word "genre" even around prior to Techno? Not saying it wasn't...just I can't remember it. But regardless, please go to sleep tonight confident without a doubt Techno is to genre as apple is to fruit. Either that or all these years I've never understood what that term meant and mislabeled Techno
but maybe he is thinking of "Electronic music" which that term specific I can never remember as a genre. To go way off track, EDM was a genre I remember (it was like a new wave/disco version of hard Electro.

But going back to the media, they helped structure it. Where it became muddied was with the 'new media" that being the Internet. Because (just using this as an example) someone would jump on and say "House isn't a genre" , and people would get confused (because that person sounded so confident but had no substance--it's just what he wanted to say) So without the governing body {industry media), it became a free-4-all a cluster-f* k. Unfortunately this manifested itself to the actual level of performance. Really interesting topic. I have not talked about Techno in years to anyone. It's funny yet sad what has happened to it.
Old 14th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

I can't remember who but i think it was the partial title of a Juan Atkins track? It's fairly amusing to see people discussing this as it is wiithout a doubt, bigger than ever across the whole of Europe.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Head

If Techno ever died, this is what the funeral would look like

Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Can't believe this is an 11 PAGE thread.

Can I submit the participation within this thread that has been running for over a year as evidence?? .... that, indeed, techno is not dead... it's just old and smells funny.
Old 26th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Cause View Post
If Techno ever died, this is what the funeral would look like

I was thinking this, one more tune.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Was that word "genre" even around prior to Techno? Not saying it wasn't...just I can't remember it.
The word "genre" was around for many many years, I'd say at least since commercial art is around. Think of paintings (landscape, still life, portait ...), literature (tragedy, comedy, novel ...), or film (western, melodram, slap stick ...). Some genres just don't lead to a well structured taxonomy, a western could be a melodram too, a monster movie could be a melodram or what not.

Quote:
To go way off track, EDM was a genre I remember (it was like a new wave/disco version of hard Electro.
I guess what you're referring to is EBM (Electric Body Music)? Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, DAF ...

Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Here in LA, everyone fibs about how they make a living. But I've only run into one person who's conflicted about it. And I don't even know her -- I was eavesdropping in a bar.

"So next week I'm gonna be on 'Jeopardy.' When Alex asks me, should I tell him I'm a sexual surrogate?"
I suggest: Psychic Nutritionist -----"you shouldent eat that!"
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear