The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ripped off on Reverb.com Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Addict
 
JSVice's Avatar
Ripped off on Reverb.com

I spent $2600 on a Neumann M149 off of Reverb.com. I didn't feel too worried about purchasing a used mic. I've done it many times before and besides, the guy stated on his ad "100% Money Back Guarantee." He also gave the same money back guarantee in a private message to me. Well, needless to say, the mic arrived broken. Nothing obviously cosmetic, but just a loud buzz when plugged in. I contacted the seller 2 hours after delivery to inform him of the damage. I decided to let it sit overnight, just in case there was any condensation in the mic that was causing an issue. The next day, it still didn't work, so I told the guy I wanted my money back. He gave two excuses for not doing it. First he said that the damage must have occurred during shipping and he was not responsible. Then he said that "it is past our refund policy." This was about 24 hours and 20 minutes after delivery. He then stated that "Reverb would pay for any repairs". If a seller can just say, "It was fine when it left here," then what the hell is the point of a money-back guarantee? Sounds like no guarantee at all to me.

I've filed a dispute with Reverb.com. Should I also go to PayPal and file one there, or do I just sit tight and wait for a response from Reverb? Any suggestions are appreciated. In over 20 years of buying and selling online, I've never had someone rip me off like this. So yeah.... Kinda stressed. I have screenshots of the convo for anyone interested.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Sorry this happened to you. The seller is clearly a handler and someone who is clueless. Reverb and PayPal can make it difficult for him.

I do recommend also filing a complaint / case with PayPal. They will act.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 
JSVice's Avatar
Thanks for the reply. The seller seemed legit, but may be just a broker or handler as you said. Wouldn't you think money-back guarantee would mean money back? Neumann M 149 Multipattern Tube Condenser Microphone | Reverb
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
I would contact PayPal ASAP and tell them what transpired. Was the microphone insured when he sent it to you? That may muddy the water a bit if he says it was broken in transport. Best of luck on getting this resolved.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

I'd contact Paypal also and if you used a credit card through Paypal, contact your CC company. The sellers refund policy should be negated by the mic not arriving in the condition it was advertised.

Any decent seller would go to great lengths to make sure you are whole.

That said, if it's a tube based mic, the seller should have immediately suggested replacing the tube to see if that rectified the problem. Tube cracking in transit can happen in the best of circumstances. Sucks, but it does happen.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Hey OP -- Dan here from Reverb HQ. Really sorry to hear about this order, obviously not the way we expect sellers on the site to act in this sort of situation. If you want to DM me your email or order (or email me at dano @ reverb.com), I'm happy to look into this directly. We will absolutely make sure that you are set up for a return and refund on this as quickly as possible. Thanks.

Edit: I was able to find the order through the link above actually. Looks like someone will be in contact with you from our resolutions team shortly if they have not been already. Also in this case, no need to file anything with PayPal as we can take care of the entire process directly.

Last edited by danoverb; 4 weeks ago at 04:36 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Way to GO! Danoverb!
Chicago Power!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

This is why Reverb is the best.. Can you think of an alternative site that would get involved, answer on a forum.... on a Sunday....
I'm drawing a blank.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 
JSVice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoverb View Post
Hey OP -- Dan here from Reverb HQ. Really sorry to hear about this order, obviously not the way we expect sellers on the site to act in this sort of situation. If you want to DM me your email or order (or email me at dano @ reverb.com), I'm happy to look into this directly. We will absolutely make sure that you are set up for a return and refund on this as quickly as possible. Thanks.

Edit: I was able to find the order through the link above actually. Looks like someone will be in contact with you from our resolutions team shortly if they have not been already. Also in this case, no need to file anything with PayPal as we can take care of the entire process directly.
Dan, thank you so much. This means more than I can express. I've been torn up over this for days.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I would contact PayPal ASAP and tell them what transpired. Was the microphone insured when he sent it to you? That may muddy the water a bit if he says it was broken in transport. Best of luck on getting this resolved.
Just a note on this comment - nobody in their right mind would insure a shipment for that kind of money. It would be prohibitively expensive. The last time I insured something for the true value (custom guitar I built for my nephew) it added like $250.00 to the cost of the shipment. If you are already taking a 17% hit selling something online it's tough to justify taking another 10% hit instead of just making sure your shipment is buffoonery proof.

It's a tough call, but typically my method of operation is to overkill the packaging and save on the insurance.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhknicks View Post
This is why Reverb is the best.
I agree that they're the best. But it's on a scale of two, the alternative being Satan.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Addict
 
JSVice's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I agree that they're the best. But it's on a scale of two, the alternative being Satan.
Well, say what you want, but I received my refund today in full, and it wouldn't have happened without Dan and Hailey at Reverb. I think it's great that a company would step up like that and take care of buyers when a shady seller tries to screw them over.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSVice View Post
Well, say what you want, but I received my refund today in full, and it wouldn't have happened without Dan and Hailey at Reverb. I think it's great that a company would step up like that and take care of buyers when a shady seller tries to screw them over.
I'm saying it as (mostly) a seller. Nonshady.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
The future's so bright... you are nonshady!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Would the real nonshady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up?

Last edited by adrianww; 2 weeks ago at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Head
 

That sucks to hear. I got ripped of a couple of weeks ago online. It was with less money but I never got it back. I thought I bought a Strymon BigSky but it never arrived. The police couldn't do anything, the bank can't do anything and I feel like a fool. I'm glad Reverb helped you out, I wish the site I was using did.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
peteone / So much gear, so little time
23
Tomuk1548 / So much gear, so little time
33
Jim Roberts / The Moan Zone
13
PaulMac / So much gear, so little time
24

Forum Jump
Forum Jump