The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why to continue & how to get some return from your music?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Why to continue & how to get some return from your music?

While I love making original music, original covers and remixes, programming sounds etc, sometimes its like "why to continue"?

Let me summarize some points:

- music is not valued as it once was: piracy, streaming fees for next to nothing, even selling cds is a problem

- everyone's making music and so loads of music is avail (along with loads of crap music) so to stand out is not at all easy

- touring must be global so worldwide to even something of a living

- you must have a unique sound or super skills to get even noticed; the number of videos on youtube is staggering from all kinds of so called producers etc.

- streaming video/audio in the hands of the big players who take a big cut

- The internet and the globalization did not make it better; easier, yes, to offer your hard work for free online or to market yourself... but it will take loads of time and work while return is very very little

Of course a good thing is that talent shows on tv give people a chance to really shine ... but to be honest record deals are sparse and how many are forgotten the next year?

What would you advise the next skilled music artist?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
While I love making original music, original covers and remixes, programming sounds etc, sometimes its like "why to continue"?

Why not?

Quote:
If you can't at the get go prioritizing personal satisfaction over monetization, do something else. But that would be my advice to any potential wage slave regardless of endeavor.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"why to continue"?
Because you love it. If not, leave it.

Quote:
- music is not valued as it once was: piracy, streaming fees for next to nothing, even selling cds is a problem
For even the biggest bands/singers/whatever the primary source of income is touring and merchandising.

Quote:
- touring must be global so worldwide to even something of a living
Not necessarily. I made a quite comfortable living as musical director for a "legacy" or "oldies" band. We spent most of our time in the NorthEast US with the occasional weekend foray into other parts of the country.

Quote:
you must have a unique sound or super skills to get even noticed; the number of videos on youtube is staggering from all kinds of so called producers etc.
There are quite a few acts out there that, at least in my opinion, are not very talented, at least as performers, although they may write terrific songs. And I hear plenty of successful "soundalike" acts capitalizing on an established sound (i.e. the Seattle grunge scene after the success of Nirvana).

Quote:
- streaming video/audio in the hands of the big players who take a big cut
So just a new variation on the scams run on performers in the 1950s. It's just taken on a different form.

Quote:
- The internet and the globalization did not make it better; easier, yes, to offer your hard work for free online or to market yourself... but it will take loads of time and work while return is very very little
Are you complaining that it's hard work getting noticed? If it was easy the field would be even more crowded than it is already.

Quote:
Work hard, then work harder. Persevere. However, there is quite bit of luck involved. I've known many very talented folks who worked hard and did all the right things but still never made it big. Consumers are fickle; they'll love something one day and hate it the next, and in the new digital age the cycle keeps getting shorter and shorter. I would bet that you have never even heard of 90% of the bands that were huge in each generation. Emerson Lake and Palmer were HUGE in the mid 70's; I would guess that, unless their parents were fans, most millennials have never heard of them - nor Linda Ronstadt, Three Dog Night, Roxy Music, Traffic, Jackson Browne…. You get the idea.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search