The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How To Get Over Writer's Block
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

How To Get Over Writer's Block

Hey what’s going on? I just wanted to share some of the ways I’ve gotten over writer’s/beat block in the past and even now. Artists and producers, I understand your frustration of either coming up with something great…but can’t find the final piece of the puzzle or just shooting nothing but blanks (shooting blanks haha). Most of us believe or even say something like “If only I had XYZ this would be better” or “Maybe I should sound like so and so”. To be completely honest, I learned that there really isn’t such thing as writer’s block, but there is such thing as burning out or fatigue. Which leads me to my first point:

1) HOW TO SOLVE BURNOUT

Like I mentioned above, there is such thing as burnout/fatigue and it’s easy to do. Trying to crank out as many songs or beats in a day not only burns you out, but also diminishes your final product. I use to do this a lot and often wondered why most of my music sounded sub par or even complete garbage…eww. When I started paying more attention to “Quality over Quantity” I noticed my focus level was a little better. To avoid burning out you will need to give yourself breaks like you would do at any job (unless you work at McDonald’s…they hate giving breaks haha). Anyway, giving your mind and ears a break from the music can be beneficial. You could simply step away and take a walk or just watch a couple of clips/listen to other artists/producers on YouTube. This allows you come back with fresh ears and even come up with better or new ideas which I will talk about more in point 2.

2) LISTEN TO VARIOUS STYLES OF MUSIC

I’ve been a music lover since the day I realized I can hear! So, I can technically listen to anything and enjoy it…only if it makes sense though! With that being said, we can benefit more from listening to styles of music outside of our own. You may not particularly like that style of music really, but every genre has it’s own uniqueness, which if you incorporated it into your music, it may can be the very piece you’re missing and help cultivate your own sound. Let’s be honest at the end of the day we all want to be original yet relevant at the same time. Just think if R&B and Hip hop stayed completely separate…we wouldn’t have many of the great songs we’ve grown up with. Take a moment and just live again without putting so much pressure on how particular your song/beat needs to sound. Last but not least:

3) JUST LIVE!

Yea, I know this doesn’t seem beneficial for “making” music, but it actually is. Just think about it, when is the last time you just cut off your phone and went fishing? Or how about going to a park, movies with friends, bowling, dancing (I can’t dance), etc the list goes on. If it’s been while, and you feel stuck go have fun. Relax a little, because too much pressure on one thing can cause you to ruin it or even yourself. Making music is suppose to be fun, relaxing, stress-free. You should never have to force music, because if you are having to, you’re not making it for the right reasons.
I hope this helped a little to at least bring back some of the motivation. It’s hard for us musicians, because no one would truly understand the process, long hours, stress, sleepless nights we put in to give to the world. So, just remind yourself daily (like I do myself) why you started in the beginning, and get back to that place so we can start having fun making music again ?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

All creative people will at some times experience a "lull" in the creative juices.

Sometimes it's best to just take a break, go fishing, do something else completely different until it comes back. Creativity can't be forced.

As a side note djtaynoel44, it's probably best not to change the text size/style from the default. It makes it very hard to read.

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
All creative people will at some times experience a "lull" in the creative juices.

Sometimes it's best to just take a break, go fishing, do something else completely different until it comes back. Creativity can't be forced.

As a side note djtaynoel44, it's probably best not to change the text size/style from the default. It makes it very hard to read.

Cheers.
Ok and thanks for the tip
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Which tip was that?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Which tip was that?
More specifically about the font, but also the added advice about the topic
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Cool.

What sort of stuff do you write about - Love Songs, Political, Something else?

Also just wanted to say that after 10+ years not doing much with music playing/recording/production I'm getting the feel to get back into it. Sometimes it takes a very long time for that sort of creativity to come back.

It also depends on your circumstances, like family kids etc. Things that you HAVE to do, and things that you WANT to do will change your priorities.

I've always loved music, playing bits, but especially recording and mixing. Whenever I feel down and can't see a way forward I listen to this:

YouTube

Last edited by stixstudios; 6 days ago at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Not telling.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

There's this whole hair-shirt thing about becoming a pro songwriter that you have to get your 10,000 hours in, and write X-hours per day, and eventually you'll start writing good or even great songs. Like the proverbial monkeys locked in a room with typewriters. You post-millennials may have to Google "typewriter."

Please don't do that. Doing that leads to writing songs even when you have nothing to say. When that happens, you write boy-girl-songs, or I-grew-up-Country songs, or Inna Gadda Da Vida. Plenty of those already.

Write when you have something to say. Write when you're feeling it. Of course, sitting down with an instrument for some therapeutic banging may get you to the point where you're feeling it while still having nothing to say. Which makes you an ideal collaborator for someone who does.

Thanks. :-)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I agree with what you said Brent. Well, I've hardly written many lyrics. I've written a few tunes though.

The last band I was in, the vocalist (not the best vocalist, but a great singer) did come up with most of the lyrics, and I came up with most of the music and arrangements. He spewed forth those lyrics from who knows where. Mostly political type lyrics, but what he said and sung in those lyrics, the rest of the band agreed with and liked.

I mainly played bass and a bit of keys and did my best to record and mix it.

Don't forget that you can SAY something, MANY things, with a bass or keyboard or any other instrument. I guess that's what you do when you aren't the vocalist.

Collaboration? ABSOLUTELY!!! Otherwise you are an individual bouncing ideas off no-one. Which can lead to an un-imaginative outcome. No matter how good you think you are (which you may be) will never substitute for have a wrangling and sometimes heated argument/conversation with others to get to a better result.

When others get involved, that's when things become interesting.

Last edited by stixstudios; 6 days ago at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Dropped my beer.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I also have to say that often the lyrics were ad lib, and so was the music (if you could call it that). Obviously the vocalist/lyricist had something in mind but it mostly revealed when the band started to play.

The next day we would go over the recordings and try to put down (finalise) the lyrics and arrangements.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Cool.

What sort of stuff do you write about - Love Songs, Political, Something else?

Also just wanted to say that after 10+ years not doing much with music playing/recording/production I'm getting the feel to get back into it. Sometimes it takes a very long time for that sort of creativity to come back.

It also depends on your circumstances, like family kids etc. Things that you HAVE to do, and things that you WANT to do will change your priorities.

I've always loved music, playing bits, but especially recording and mixing. Whenever I feel down and can't see a way forward I listen to this:

YouTube
It's hard. I mainly produce, but I'm also an artist with family so balancing can get difficult. As far as what I write about is normally from personal experience. I try not to dive into politics much
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's this whole hair-shirt thing about becoming a pro songwriter that you have to get your 10,000 hours in, and write X-hours per day, and eventually you'll start writing good or even great songs. Like the proverbial monkeys locked in a room with typewriters. You post-millennials may have to Google "typewriter."

Please don't do that. Doing that leads to writing songs even when you have nothing to say. When that happens, you write boy-girl-songs, or I-grew-up-Country songs, or Inna Gadda Da Vida. Plenty of those already.

Write when you have something to say. Write when you're feeling it. Of course, sitting down with an instrument for some therapeutic banging may get you to the point where you're feeling it while still having nothing to say. Which makes you an ideal collaborator for someone who does.

Thanks. :-)
I agree. You should always create something you feel connected to vs what you "think" the masses want
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search