The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What happened to ebay? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Addict

Awe come on. Where else you gonna find 'The Meg' in 3d Blu ray for $4.99 region ABC from Korea?
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Guru

ebay's algorithm was the only person I felt ever really understood me
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
ebay's algorithm was the only person I felt ever really understood me
It always knew the right thing to say such as: "Your auction has been cancelled due to violation of our terms of agreement..."

Thought I was inflating shipping costs to avoid the higher percent haircut on the actual product price. Probably easier to get some face time with paul mccartney than speak to an actual human at ebay...
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
This is my favorite vendor on e-bay. Very fair pricing.
This is very confusing to me. Why bother? This is like those idiots who keep calling my home phone, knowing that I'll either not answer or pick-up and hang-up in one second. Why bother? What's in it for them?
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
So it's you guys stealing all my IEC cables! I'm always out, and ordering new ones. Maybe I'm the only person providing them when I sell something?
LOL, Wasn't me! I just break displays on a regular basis. Plus i had a lot of old computer stuff that was door stop quality that i disassembled for parts.
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
It's basically a hillbilly flea market now. Flooded with tons of valueless garbage. A few gems in there, but who wants to wander through all of that junk.

No matter what you search, results are mountains of garbage and overpriced BIN crap.

Are you talking about YouTube and music??? or Ebay? -GRIN-
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Oh, I don't know about that... I can at least get a hotdog and some free entertainment (people watching) at the local hillbilly flea market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
It's basically a hillbilly flea market now. Flooded with tons of valueless garbage. A few gems in there, but who wants to wander through all of that junk.

No matter what you search, results are mountains of garbage and overpriced BIN crap.
Old 14th February 2019
I love iec cables. I hack em up all the time for 1950's power whips that go all crackly, or cheap supply wire. 2 bux at the goodwill like all day.

Chop up wal-warts too. I got a bucket of each!
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I love iec cables. I hack em up all the time for 1950's power whips that go all crackly, or cheap supply wire. 2 bux at the goodwill like all day.

Chop up wal-warts too. I got a bucket of each!
Your children will have stories to tell after they clean out your place. Multiple dumpsters.
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Your children will have stories to tell after they clean out your place. Multiple dumpsters.
Well that's just the tip of the iceberg of my parts bin collection/project shelf.

What's more likely to happen is me as an old man trying to schlep off all these gears cause i can't hear anymore and the remainder hitting a resale store near me when they find me boiled in a bathtub or something.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well that's just the tip of the iceberg of my parts bin collection/project shelf.

What's more likely to happen is me as an old man trying to schlep off all these gears cause i can't hear anymore and the remainder hitting a resale store near me when they find me boiled in a bathtub or something.
Am I correct in recalling your day job involves making wire/cables?

And you won't boil in the tub as long as none of those loose wires hanging off the bathroom ceiling is hot.
Old 14th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Am I correct in recalling your day job involves making wire/cables?

And you won't boil in the tub as long as none of those loose wires hanging off the bathroom ceiling is hot.
I used too. I worked at general cable in chicago before they closed that branch and sold gepco off to belden.

Now im a low voltage technician. Access control/security/nurse call that kind of stuff. Working in a sweat factory didn't pay much and they shut down rather then go union!

All my studio cables are gepco. Shhhhhhhhhh
Old 15th February 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
EBay didn't shift, its sellers did.
Quote:
Not true,
plus one!

Quote:
Yep, that stuff and the banning of payments other than paypal was the day i left. I probably sold $30k a year for the entire previous decade.
yep.

i have not nor do i plan to sell on ebay any more. and i use to sell a fair amount.
Old 15th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
I quit ebay/paypal back in 2002, never to return!
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

For every shady buyer, there are 10 shady sellers.

Particularly bad when it comes to packing and shipping gear, they don't even bother to do it themselves half the time.

You guys just have no idea how much gear is being damaged every day by these people and their lazy way of life.
Old 16th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
For every shady buyer, there are 10 shady sellers.

Particularly bad when it comes to packing and shipping gear, they don't even bother to do it themselves half the time.

You guys just have no idea how much gear is being damaged every day by these people and their lazy way of life.
I've certainly had my fair share of that.

I just got shipped to me a record cutting head and electronics..........through ups.........who also packed it.

I was ****ting bricks, constantly checking status updates and looking at repair routes. Thankfully everything came in fine.

I think that's another reason im not buying gear much anymore. The whole buy/ship/repair buisness
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yup, just got an old bit of Roland rack gear and the rack ears completely bent to f**k.

Quote:
I've certainly had my fair share of that.
Old 18th February 2019
I'm trying to sell some stuff on there at the moment, the organic traffic is almost non exsistent, it was at its peak in the early to mid 2000s, so what are good alternatives? I am even considering using mobile apps like shpock, would like to know UK only alternatives, so reverb is out of the question.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Addict

A nightmare story of mine.

I sold a Quadraverb 4 one week from Thanksgiving free shipping. He paid I shipped it to a hub UPS. The package was delayed and he complained. It was part of an international shipping program on top of this . It was participating in the tracking system and still set to arrive. Ebay still gave him the money back. It arrived. He signed for it. UPS international, would not ship it back for free. He would not pay for return shipping. Ebay gave him his money back from my paypal, without ever contacting me. He got the item too.

He complained that it did not come on time. It was participating in the tracking system. It was free shipping!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
A nightmare story of mine.

I sold a Quadraverb 4 one week from Thanksgiving free shipping. He paid I shipped it to a hub UPS. The package was delayed and he complained. It was part of an international shipping program on top of this ...
I refuse to sell overseas for fear of oddball things happening. I once sold a techniques sl-1200 to dude in Canada--maybe $600-800? Gets to the border and some Canadian customs agents decide its really a new item or some such and they want dude to pay like $300 import tax. Well, he was stewing about it for a couple of days while customs had it in their custody, but nothing I could do on my end to help. He ended up paying, and a good deal became a bad deal for him. I felt bad for him, but it was his own countrymen who were screwing him over.

Also, everyone overseas has some sort of crushing vat tax, so they want me to mark the declared sale price on the customs form way down so they can defraud their govt. I have no moral objection to that, but if lost in transit or there is a dispute, I have limited what I can recover.

Sure, he was a stand-up guy and completed the sale, but that international stuff can go sideways 7 different ways. Also, no shipping guarantees from carriers once it leaves their jurisdiction.

Also, never ship to mexico. A ups guy told me that the level of theft from the trucks is astronomical. In process of selling dude a nice adc unit. He lived in mexico and I refused to ship, but he knew someone in texas--a five hour drive for him. I shipped it to texas and he did the big drive, and the sale went without a hitch.

PS. If advertising and no buyer interest, my opinon the price is to high. I do a reverse auction on craigslist where I drop the price every two weeks and eventually it hits some magic number folks express an interest.

A little off topic--I was selling a nice double-bass on craigslist. I had it there for at least a year and had lowered the price somewhat. So, one dude expresses interest but has no car, so we make an appointment for him to get it a week later. Day before sale, another dude starts asking questions about it, and I sold it per appointment to the other guy the next day. After all that time and two people want it at the same time. It didn't bother me on the sale time--I figure a nice bass like that is likely going to sell before school starts in a rich neighborhood, as its good enough for a college orchestra, so I thought I would sell it this fall.

Last edited by ponzi; 4 weeks ago at 03:15 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think just about everyone has had an oversees nightmare with eBay.

I sold a pair of DA-88s for parts (even though they worked fine) to a guy in France who somehow bid even though it was a US only auction.

It cost me a ton - like about $200 - to ship these to the guy. He gets them and complains that the parts machines don't work - again sold for parts. I tell him ship them back and I'll refund his money sans shipping - which would still leave me in the red. Luckily he never shipped them back but it took a long time to settle.

Another time I sell a guy in the UK a Fender Strat that was a parts guitar. The body, neck, neckplate, tremolo and tuners were all correct 70s parts - just from different guitars (74 body and neck but bought seperately, etc...). Lollar California Blondes and a new guard, pots and wiring.

The guy decides the tuners are not what he likes and wants a refund of like $400 back. Keep in mind that in the UK this guitar is worth way more than the US price he paid. I tell him to ship it back and I'll refund then all of a sudden he wants $300 back then $200 then $100 then I get bad feedback but never hear from him.

The 'partial refund' extortion game is something more and more people are playing on eBay.
Old 4 weeks ago
Buyers don't really read the complete description they only see what they want to see.

We have also sold some equipment for parts and clearly stated that in the posting but someone gets the item and then they contact Ebay saying the item was not as described as it is DOA or does not work properly. They have just purchased a professional VCR that cost $8500 new for $50.00 and since they did not read, or more likely comprehend, the posting they are upset. We answer all questions they have both before and after the sale and still they want to ship the item back because it does not work (and that was made clear in the posting). Most times Ebay sides with them.

I also will not ship to Italy (too many packages lost with addresses like the third red door from the town square) or the states that formerly were the USSR as most of the "buyers" never pay for what they purchased or they find fault with the shipping cost or with the item and want to return it after using it for 29 days.

There seem to be a lot more scammers on Ebay lately. People who are buying things to use (like expensive microphones) only to return them after 29 days or who get some piece of equipment and take off parts and then return it saying it was DOA or "missing parts" only the "parts" were on the piece of equipment before they got it or the people who say they never received the item even though they signed for it. I REALLY wish there was some where else to go to sell gear. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
the worst thing I've done on there was to sell acoustic diffusers, I custom made a box for them like a crate thinking they'll be fine but they still arrived damaged, obviously I refunded the buyer but it was very frustrating because I lost all that cost in materials as well as it arriving damaged, lesson learned though, that was pretty depressing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Buyers don't really read the complete description they only see what they want to see.
Yeah, reading with comprehension is apparently not a thing most humans are good at. I spent a lot of years honing clear descriptions, and the things people will ask which contradict all evidence are amazing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
...I sold a pair of DA-88s for parts (even though they worked fine) to a guy in France who somehow bid even though it was a US only auction....
I am pretty sure that when I put the item for auction and check the '48 states only' box, overseas can't bid. But I could be wrong. I get emails begging to sell it overseas, but I decline--so the top bidder is $20 more and all of a sudden I am filling out customs forms... I think after auction completes, seller can cancel the highest bid and sell to the second highest if the buyer did not meet legitimate stated criteria--but this was years ago, maybe that has changed. I also prefer not to sell to single digit feedback types, but I have done so.

I will repeat my best wisdom from over 100 ebay transactions: The people who ask the stupidest questions never end up winning the auction, so don't spend a lot of time answering the stupid questions, and also make sure the Q and A is public on the auction as one never knows how many stupid people there are with the same question. They are typically nervous nellies or power seekers who like to jerk around an eager seller by giving them tasks to do.

"So on that marshall jcl 800, are the chassis screws brass, or stainless steel? Please send high resolution photos as I want very much to buy your item for lots of money once I know..." (not an actual question but just as asinine as the actual ones were--focussed on trivial matters that do not reflect product performance or quality, or indicate complete lack of product knowledge).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post

I will repeat my best wisdom from over 100 ebay transactions: The people who ask the stupidest questions never end up winning the auction, so don't spend a lot of time answering the stupid questions, and also make sure the Q and A is public on the auction as one never knows how many stupid people there are with the same question. They are typically nervous nellies or power seekers who like to jerk around an eager seller by giving them tasks to do.
I think I have over 400 positive and about 20 years (hard to believe) on eBay.

I agree with you. I've seen the detailed photos that have been requested show up as poser's new guitar or new amp day on TGP, etc.... Also have learned to go with my gut. If people seem weird I will block them so they can't bid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are typically nervous nellies or power seekers who like to jerk around an eager seller by giving them tasks to do.
Lol one time I was selling an effects unit for around $2k, buy it now. So this guy messages me and starts asking me to do all this crazy stuff and has me listening to the power supply and all this sh!t. So finally I ask him what the hell is up. So he tells me, "Well, I'm on the fence between yours and another one on ebay. The other one is $200 cheaper but I think yours is in better condition".

I just had enough of this guy and I said point blank, "Do me a favor. Buy his. I don't want you to buy mine. I want you to leave me the f**k alone. I'm telling you - buy his - it's cheaper. You'd be an imbecile to buy mine when it's more expensive." Seriously - just like that I said it. I just snapped.

Lol right after I sent that message, he bought mine instantly. I shipped it against my better judgement thinking that this guy would be a headache but surprisingly I never heard from him again so I guess he was happy with my unit.

I'll never figure people out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

I'll never figure people out.
He probably liked the look of your item better and was just being a "nervous nellie" - you gave him a bit of a shove and that works with some people to help them make a decision.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
...I just had enough of this guy and I said point blank, "Do me a favor. Buy his. I don't want you to buy mine. I want you to leave me the f**k alone...
Exactly--called his bluff and game over.

I was selling a daking compressor on reverb and I put a low price because I was in a hurry to sell. So some idiot messages me and tells me something is wrong with it as the price is too low, so I need to come clean and be honest about the condition (Pictures of it show minty).

So I immediately log in and add $200 to the price and tell him he was right. He writes back begging me to sell it to him at the original price and I refused--I sold it eventually at a good price, but not to him. I still laugh about that dolt and his perception he had some power in the situation to call me on the carpet. Dumbest buyer I think I have encountered.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This really makes my day!

Quote:
So I immediately log in and add $200 to the price and tell him he was right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search