The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying something without realizing that you'll need something else to make it work... Studio Monitors
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head

Buying something without realizing that you'll need something else to make it work...

... and then realizing you'll need yet something else to make something else #2 work with something #1 . Ad nauseum.

So I wanted another set of reference monitors, so I bought a pair of Auratones for $200. Thought I'd just use my old Sony AV receiver and I'd be alright. Then I realized I don't have enough outputs on my audio interface.

Bought a new basic mixer with two pairs of outputs. +$50 (no biggie)

Then I realized I absolutely needed some NS10s otherwise my mixes will suck, Auratones are nice but not enough. Ordered a nice pair of those.+$650

Then I spent some quality time on gear slutz and realized I need super-duper amps for both of these otherwise they will sound like a swarm of syphilitic monkeys.

Two amps: +$150 (things are starting to add up)

Then I realized I have THREE pair of speakers and can only connect two with my mixer because when I ordered the mixer I didn't plan on adding NS10s.

Here comes the Monitoring Station to handle all three +$150 .

Now I finally hooked everything up and realized my QSC amp I bought for $100 is a noisy SOB (fan), can't live with that. Will have to buy another low-noise amp. Probably +$100.

Oh and before I sell QSC air conditioner I need to buy Deoxit D5 to fix scratchy knobs on it. +$15

Then after reading some more GS I realized my original Rode NT1 mic is garbage and ordered a new (used but better) mic. +$150

Then after setting my new studio in a brand new acoustically decent room I realized my JBL monitors had no bass to a point when NS10 almost sounded better. Here comes a new pair of monitors +$1250

Total: $2715

And all I wanted in the first place a month ago was just another set of reference monitors for no more than $200.
Old 4 weeks ago
Do some research on the WWW before buying ANYTHING. It will save you a lot of time and trouble and $$$. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Do some research on the WWW before buying ANYTHING. It will save you a lot of time and trouble and $$$. FWIW
I did. A lot. Some stuff just doesn't come up in suggestions. Like the need for monitor controller when you have a few pairs of monitors. I didn't even know these things existed. People talk about monitors and that's it. Not how to connect them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
To the OP. Every headache you describe is a problem you solved, and the results each improved the audio or workflow in your studio. Why the angst? I’d feel pretty good, considering the outcomes. If having the money made you happier than spending it on your studio, your true calling is more towards the Scrooge end of the spectrum. If that’s not you, enjoy the fruits of your expenditures. Whichever, make yourself happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
To the OP. Every headache you describe is a problem you solved, and the results each improved the audio or workflow in your studio. Why the angst? I’d feel pretty good, considering the outcomes. If having the money made you happier than spending it on your studio, your true calling is more towards the Scrooge end of the spectrum. If that’s not you, enjoy the fruits of your expenditures. Whichever, make yourself happy.
I get what OP means, though. It's infinitely more complicated now. If Dylan had to "get discovered" in 2019 it'd never happen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The best example of this mechanism is when a guy go buy a cheap guitar 100W head for 400 bucks, because he has small budget...

...but then he discovers after some months that, having 4x 6L6 and 6x 12AX7, he is gonna spend over 200 (half the amp head price) for a decent retubing....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I get what OP means, though. It's infinitely more complicated now. If Dylan had to "get discovered" in 2019 it'd never happen.
Maybe.. part of it is that most of us so love to air our grievances. Festivus is such a good idea, it shouldn’t be limited to a season.
If 17-year-old Bob Dylan dropped out of the time machine tomorrow, he’d probably figure something out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Then after reading some more GS I realized my original Rode NT1 mic is garbage and ordered a new (used but better) mic. +$150
I'm sorry to say, but for 150 you surely bought another garbage...you need to spend at least 5000$ for having a not so decent beginner mic, just for demo use.
10'000$ for a decent one if you want your song not to sound ridicolous.
I've a collection of 7 mics and their price goes from 15K to 50K for example.

Lol, I'm just kidding, sorry but can't resist :P
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post
I'm sorry to say, but for 150 you surely bought another garbage...you need to spend at least 5000$ for having a not so decent beginner mic, just for demo use.

Lol, I'm just kidding, sorry but can't resist :P
Resist, please...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
No angst. I'm moaning but with a smile. I enjoyed the whole process of researching, hunting and buying new gear. Just mildly frustrated at studio building complexity and how quickly small modifications lead to massive investments/changes.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search