The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
getting stiffed on a deal Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Addict

Yeh I know, I've been around this loop a few times on both sides. Just gotta learn how to handle it I guess, it will be the same in many such deals be it vintage car parts, antiques, railway-arna etc. I know with selling (outside eBay) I really have to force myself into - first at my door with cash gets the item. I would naturally try to "hold" an item but, it's a recipe for a waste of time. I'm sure we all have stories of being messed about, usually turn up at door and say they've only got XX in cash (80% of the agreed price - I reply, "bye then"). And then some people do need the money to survive (eviction bills etc.) so need to sell as fast as possible.

I'm always reluctant to take offers on items from people living some distance away no matter what the deal might be, these carry a very high chance of failure. Many people get excited about the item and don't even check up on just how far away it is, or have time or even transport to collect, so they fall off the radar.

The main thing is, no loss of money, although different people have different views on this. A seller may not be bothered with the hassle of returing money, they will think it's up to the buyer to get their money back. Some will see the extra cash a gift and spend it not thinking (or care) that's stealing.

On the flip side, I now tend to use it to my advantage, probably like most of you, I've always got an eye on what's available, when I see an item of interest and local I'm on it like a flash, a quick convo. agree a price and collection time and I'm there. It's a good way to get a bargain. In fact my last two synths came that way, for little money and two great synths! Mostly as I got the the seller's house within two days.
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

well i don't really use paypal, unless i've got some in there, and i didn't.
why is 'send as friend' a 'scam' (unless it's scamming paypal)? i agree it
isn't very safe. normally people i deal with are quite chilled out, and i
make sure i speak to them on the phone, know where they live, have
their email - nor am i in some acquisition frenzy of stuff everyone wants.
so i don't know, i feel a bit out of step with all this scammy vibe. not
really something i deal with or need to.

anyway, the matter is closed for me. moving on.
thanks for your advice.
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

to moderator, plz:

to the Moan Zone, let's go >>>
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
you don't beat feet to the other side of the country, if it's by post.
a lot of you are making assumptions. (quite snarky too, disappointing.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
well i don't really use paypal, unless i've got some in there, and i didn't.
why is 'send as friend' a 'scam' (unless it's scamming paypal)? i agree it
isn't very safe. normally people i deal with are quite chilled out, and i
make sure i speak to them on the phone, know where they live, have
their email - nor am i in some acquisition frenzy of stuff everyone wants.
so i don't know, i feel a bit out of step with all this scammy vibe. not
really something i deal with or need to.

anyway, the matter is closed for me. moving on.
thanks for your advice.
Instead of being snuffy about this you certainly could educate yourself about how internet scams work.

With Craigslist, they send you a spoofed email from Paypa1.com.clownpenis.circus. Never ever ship from a local sales site. Cash only. In person. It's a moot point because the vast majority of requests to ship commodity goods from FB groups, Craigslist, Offerup are West African scammers looking to get you to send "the item" to a parcel mule who will divert the items overseas.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Instead of being snuffy about this you certainly could educate yourself about how internet scams work.

With Craigslist, they send you a spoofed email from Paypa1.com.clownpenis.circus. Never ever ship from a local sales site. Cash only. In person. It's a moot point because the vast majority of requests to ship commodity goods from FB groups, Craigslist, Offerup are West African scammers looking to get you to send "the item" to a parcel mule who will divert the items overseas.
whaa? you reminding me of this now? look, i didn't get to buy my thing,
don't remind me... what are u on about? i don't even know what
craigslist is, we don't have it here (i do know,... but i wasn't talking about...
i'm not going to read through this thread again to find out what this was
about - i commiserate about getting burned or whatever ... i wouldn't ship
anything until the money was in my hands. fck reverb and things like that.
yes, deal in cash if poss.)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't rip me off. Or else.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One time I got a great deal on some old gear. The seller said that he had listed a Jupiter 6 a few days ago and that some guy had driven non stop from the next state over to pick it up - with cash.

It's all about how motivated you are as a buyer, and cash rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
You seriously expect a seller to pass up a paying customer because someone he’s never even met might pay an agreed upon amount later? How does that make any sense?

If you want something, be the first one to show up with cash in hand. Then the guy who was foolish enough to think a few text messages were some kind of binding agreement will be the one whining instead of you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's frustrating but some sellers have integrity and some don't.

One time GS User hakanai was selling a **** ton of GIK stuff in the classifieds. He's in Brooklyn, I'm in Queens. I reach out and tell him I'll swing by to Brooklyn, with cash and throw it all in my car. Ok, all good. We go back and forth and arrange for me to come pick it up that Friday and pay him.

Friday I contact him to let him know I'm coming. "Uh, oh, I sold it all to some other guy".

I don't know what's more annoying - sellers with a lack of integrity or that fact that some people are just time f**kers. I get if you don't respect yourself, but don't drag me into your world.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I was looking to buy a DSI Tetra once from a guy halfway across the country for a very reasonable price. Text messages were exchanged and he was supposed to send me a video of the unit working and I would PayPal him the cash the next day. The said video didn't come and I texted the guy. No response. I had been ghosted and figured either there was a problem with the synth, or he had sold it locally for cash.

About 2 weeks later I received a video of the unit working, followed by a number of messages asking if I still wanted the synth. I texted him back saying he had taken too long and the funds had been allocated elsewhere. Guy was not happy and became irate.

His flakiness cost him the sale. I saw the same unit advertised a month later, so perhaps this was not a one off. Hard to say, but the guy was definitely useless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search