The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Whole "Martin Luther Coon" Thing...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The Whole "Martin Luther Coon" Thing...

You may have heard about this:

The guy got fired for saying it. Does anybody really think someone like that's gonna deliberately ruin his entire life that way?

It was a Spoonerism. He meant to say "Martin Luther King Junior" but it was going to come out of his mouth as "Martin Luther Koon Jingyer" or some such thing. Only he caught himself in the middle and regrouped.

Is it only obvious to me?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

He's on, or was on my local news. No matter what was, or what was not intended to be said, the protected class get their pound of flesh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Political correctness is the new McCarthyism - a way to take down enemies and zero concern for all the innocents who get taken down with them.

Here's an antidote.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You may have heard about this:

The guy got fired for saying it. Does anybody really think someone like that's gonna deliberately ruin his entire life that way?

It was a Spoonerism. He meant to say "Martin Luther King Junior" but it was going to come out of his mouth as "Martin Luther Koon Jingyer" or some such thing. Only he caught himself in the middle and regrouped.

Is it only obvious to me?
It's a fairly common linguistic phenomenon known as "preservation." We all do it, usually without such embarrassing consequences and on TV. John McWhorter has a great essay on this very topic at The Atlantic.

As to the other comments on this unfortunate, misplaced thread, who are pretty much exhibiting the very thing they bemoan, social media mobs don't negate 300 years of chattel slavery and Jim Crow and The Comic Masturbator can go fvck himself into oblivion. Pun intended.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
As to the other comments on this unfortunate, misplaced thread...
By "unfortunate" you mean it's an observation that I shouldn't have made? And if that's what you mean, it can't be misplaced because there's no appropriate place.

Later edit: I read the Atlantic article. One of the examples McWhorter cites in his analysis of the on-air "mistake" is, in fact, a Spoonerism. But he doesn't call it that.
Old 1 week ago
Working in radio and TV is stressful with lots of last minute changes to the script, some as the presenter is going on the air. I am amazed that there are not more of these fluffs. I worked in radio for a long time. We had two sponsors who were both named "Miller" one was a florist and the other was a flour used for baking. More than once I said " and don't forget Millers mills the finest flowers". The best method is to either pre-record your newscast OR find a good way to cover your flub. Most stations today record every newscast because there could be flubs and the stations want to protect themselves. One of the most famous flubs was an announcer saying "and now the President of the United States, Hoobert Heever. See FACT CHECK: Harry von Zell and Hoobert Heever. I have heard what is suppose to be the original tape and you can clearly hear his flub, snopes not withstanding. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Or, you could distort the guy's middle name into "Luthier" and imply he made guitars... not sure where the would fall on the outrage scale....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Or, you could distort the guy's middle name into "Luthier" and imply he made guitars... not sure where the would fall on the outrage scale....
If the weatherman had said "Lucifer" I'd have to change my vote.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
... my vote.
"Loser" would be another mispronunciation that would call for raised eyebrows, at the very least.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
...and The Comic Masturbator can go fvck himself into oblivion. Pun intended.
Shocking how it used to be right wingers and religious nutters shutting down free speech and telling consenting adults what was sexually acceptable and now it's the left. Lenny Bruce must be spinning in his grave.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Lenny Bruce must be spinning in his grave.
As y'all would say, anticlockwise.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
As y'all would say, anticlockwise.
That would be cyclonic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search