The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
No, I won't be RENTING your software.
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Imagine leasing an apartment for a year and only living there for a month, or maybe two. That only sounds reasonable to people made entirely of money.
But buying is in the beginning more expensive than leasing. As far as I know Avid allows us to rent temporarily, so the rental would be equal to renting that apartment for a brief period - clearly less expensive than buying outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Further thought: actually, most businesses lease because they expect to make far more money out of basically sub-letting what they've leased for much more than they paid on the original lease (so, double-scam!), than because of the write-off and easy disposability (reduction of sunk cost) of the leased item. No point in leasing if it's not profitable.

So, I could see leasing software if you expected to essentially rent it to others for much more than you're paying for it. But you're now into the business world of finding a sucker (born every minute) for this shell game. If that's what you enjoy more than making music..... Go for it. But you are now part of the parasitic "rentier" class, who accumulate profit off of other people's labor without contributing anything themselves.
Huh? You rent the software to use it to create something. Whether or not that end product provides you with any revenue is a different matter. But this whole sub-leasing is really odd. I mean, you could absolutely do that in various indirect forms I bet. I'm sure you could set up your DAW and lease out the entire studio or even just the computer, should you choose to. But the thing about leasing out, or sub-leasing, is that the very second you do that you have yet another responsibility towards a client; that DAW (or software-only) now has to work flawlessly because your client pays for it.

So sub-leasing isn't always that simple.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
But buying is in the beginning more expensive than leasing. As far as I know Avid allows us to rent temporarily, so the rental would be equal to renting that apartment for a brief period - clearly less expensive than buying outright.

Huh? You rent the software to use it to create something. Whether or not that end product provides you with any revenue is a different matter. But this whole sub-leasing is really odd. I mean, you could absolutely do that in various indirect forms I bet. I'm sure you could set up your DAW and lease out the entire studio or even just the computer, should you choose to. But the thing about leasing out, or sub-leasing, is that the very second you do that you have yet another responsibility towards a client; that DAW (or software-only) now has to work flawlessly because your client pays for it.

So sub-leasing isn't always that simple.
I'm just saying it's a very common model in the business world, that clearly works there.

The temp rental story - where you can turn it on or off as needed, and only pay during use - is probably a better model, similar to what used to happen when musicians paid for studio time and professional engineering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search