The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has Reverb.com Surpassed eBay In Fleecing People?
Old 21st August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Ebay take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That’s a great deal! What is a private seller on eBay?

Yes, total fees on eBay in US are about 12.95% and 13.5% if sold to someone transferring non-US currency Via PayPal.

eBay did lower their take on guitars only to 3.5% a year or so ago. That did not apply to any other musical instrument or gear of any kind.

If I were in the UK with gear to sell, I’d take that eBay deal before it expires.
Ebay has done this on all pro gear as well, more than once, assumably to compete with reverb. Been awhile though.
Old 21st August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Ebay has done this on all pro gear as well, more than once, assumably to compete with reverb. Been awhile though.
Perhaps I missed that offer. I just checked last week and guitar/basses are @3.5% and "all other musical insturements/gear" @10%. That was for the US. Perhaps it's different elsewhere
Old 22nd August 2020
When I was a young boy growing up in the 70’s, I wanted to buy a great used bicycle. My father imparted wisdom on me that he thought was accurate for any loose goods- Cars, tools, bicycles. “Never pay more than half for anything that is used!” Thanks Dad. That philosophy really never has panned out, especially when the acquisition of ‘specialty’ items is at stake.
A 500 series Moog filter is a specialty in a specialty in a specialty bracket.

Moan zone- For example why would I buy a pair of RND 511 for the same price as buying them new from the same retailer I always use, when they offer free shipping and a warranty?

I’m Reverb’s worst nightmare of bloat- I browse constantly, seldom purchase and never sell anything. But I do enjoy the ‘window shopping’
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
If I lived in LA Craigslist would definitely be my first choice of selling platform.
Biggest pain in the A$$ dealing with buyers in LA, Im now getting the "would you deliver?" after lowballing me at less than 50% of my asking.
Enjoy waiting for them to show up on time, or maybe even showing up at all.
If they show up, they renegotiate in person.

My time is money:
Ill stick with Reverb, and pay the fees, never had an issue there.
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear

if somebody offers less than 50% of my price the solution is very easy... It's called not responding to the moron.

Dealing with figuring out when to meet up and stuff does suck but that's the price you pay for doing CL with local pickup.

It's a pick your poison kind of situation, you can either deal with that or pay for ebay or Reverb.
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Head
You didn't tell us how much the guitar sold for....that info would be very helpful.
What shipping service did you use? Did you ship through the Reverb system, or did you ship it yourself?

I sell on Reverb all the time and haven't had any crazy fees like that.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=JLast;14922515]

I do understand some of your frustrations though, tax on used items is pretty bullsh!t. The tax was paid already when it was new, the state expecting money every time an item changes hands is kind of ridiculous.

This. Definitely this.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
In Los Angeles USA there used to be a platform that eBay destroyed called Recycler, a totally by gone model where buyers bought the paper (app) week to week and sellers listed for free.
Pretty much CL except having to purchase the paper- but it was a lot less creepy back then and I even got laid once- it wasn’t in the advert.
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

TAX

[QUOTE=hitlength;14992415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post

I do understand some of your frustrations though, tax on used items is pretty bullsh!t. The tax was paid already when it was new, the state expecting money every time an item changes hands is kind of ridiculous.

This. Definitely this.
Ever bought a used car from a dealer. Tax.

Legally if you sell anything you are responsible to the state you live in to pay the tax to your state government.

But I do agree charging tax on used items is bollocks.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bacon View Post
In Los Angeles USA there used to be a platform that eBay destroyed called Recycler
In the 1980's I used to make a lot of money buying/selling music equipment from the Recycler magazine. Getting up early on Thursday mornings and going to the newsstand on Wilcox Ave to find the good deals before anyone else.

B&H carries a decent amount of music equipment and if you use their "PayBoo Card" there is no sales tax (a hefty 9.5% in Los Angeles) so in a lot of cases it is cheaper buying Brand New from B&H vs USED on Reverb.com
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=StillCrazy;15013493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlength View Post

Ever bought a used car from a dealer. Tax.

Legally if you sell anything you are responsible to the state you live in to pay the tax to your state government.

But I do agree charging tax on used items is bollocks.
Yes, I understand how sales tax works with used items, what I'm saying is that I disagree with it.

The new ways we are getting stuck with it lately like on Reverb aren't justified simply because we have been paying tax on used cars for a long time... which is also wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
been an active member on reverb, both buying but mainly selling, on reverb for a while now.

so this morning I get the following email from them:
The Reverb account associated with xxxxxxx has been placed under review for the following:

The account was flagged as suspicious or potentially harmful. Possible reasons include: This may be due to the user’s location, the account is a duplicate, or the user has ties to another previously suspended user.

The account will remain under review indefinitely. If you think this action was taken in error, please reply directly to this email and ( bla bla bla )

Is it just me or are all these net based companies going Orwell after they reach a certain size? but then not even evilbay has ever done this to me !

In fact reverb has made a decent amount of cash on my sales! Is it time to move on the vemia..? Anyone have experience with them?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
A lot of variables here.

Where are you located? Do you have negative reviews? Have you had buyers complain about products you sold after the return window has expired? Has your account or email been hacked? Have you sold anything brand new in box but aren’t a dealer?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
A lot of variables here.

Where are you located? Do you have negative reviews? Have you had buyers complain about products you sold after the return window has expired? Has your account or email been hacked? Have you sold anything brand new in box but aren’t a dealer?
Well I am in France and have had the account for awhile. NO ONE has complained about anything. I never had so much as a discussion about flawed deliveries whether as seller or as buyer.

At least no one has ever complained to me before or after. If anyone were to complain to reverb I am sure reverb would contact me to try and find a resolution.

I did sell an ACID yellow TD03 in the box long ago but I had no idea that was verboten and why would this matter now all of a sudden?

There are are plenty of people selling new items btw.

let's hope that Gearslutz and Vemia can fill the gap. I find this a bit orwellian. Seems like reverb is making plenty of money so they can afford to alienate people.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
Well I am in France and have had the account for awhile. NO ONE has complained about anything. I never had so much as a discussion about flawed deliveries whether as seller or as buyer.

At least no one has ever complained to me before or after. If anyone were to complain to reverb I am sure reverb would contact me to try and find a resolution.

I did sell an ACID yellow TD03 in the box long ago but I had no idea that was verboten and why would this matter now all of a sudden?

There are are plenty of people selling new items btw.

let's hope that Gearslutz and Vemia can fill the gap. I find this a bit orwellian. Seems like reverb is making plenty of money so they can afford to alienate people.
I had a post suspended for selling an unopened item as brand new because I wasn’t a dealer.

I don’t think being located in France raises any flags but you might want to reach out to reverb and see what’s up. Someone might have tried to clone your account or use your email to create one.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear