The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has Reverb.com Surpassed eBay In Fleecing People? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
In my town there is no such "safe spot" to do CL transactions. I have been burned more than once by someone agreeing to all my stipulations as to payment and then to have them show up wanting to buy the $450.00 priced item for $50 since that is all they brought with them. When I tell them there is an ATM within one mile of my house where they can get the money I get blank stares or am told that the item is only worth $50.00. I am glad you CL clients are not like that.

If you think you are being ripped off by Ebay and Reverb why not start your own auction site. $100,000 should be enough to get you started and then after a few weeks you will see why it takes a lot of overhead to run an online auction house.

I understand your frustration and wish there was a simple solution. Maybe some day someone will start up an online auction where the prices for doing "business" will be less expensive. I personally hope so.

FWIW
I can believe your "safe spot" story. People can be just as sleazy on eBay or Reverb by stealing parts off of an item you sell them, filling a claim, and then getting a refund, leaving the seller to take the hit for the initial shipping. On Reverb there is no protection against this. Although you can sell an item with a "No Return" policy, the stipulation is that the item must be sold as described. So if you say the item is in working condition, all the buyer has to do is remove/replace the part(s) they want, say the item doesn't work, and then demand a refund. That has happened to me.

Start my own site? I don't have the desire. As far as the overhead, it is all speculation unless you have personally run a site yourself. From what I have been reading, there will be more eBay/Reverb alternatives propping up.

Let's not pretend that sites like eBay and Reverb are hurting. In the case of eBay, since they are a publicly traded company all you have to do is Google their Annual Income Statement. in 2014 for example the company generated $8.5 billion in the United States, $9.4 billion elsewhere. Do they have overhead? Absolutely, but they are also very profitable. In that sense I cannot blame their success, I just personally don't care for their fees. I no longer support them.

Comparatively, Reverb is a small fish. Their total 2017 sales were expected to reach $429 million. They certainly do not have the same overhead as eBay, and yet their fees creep up ever so closely to eBay's? If/when they decide to go public we can expect their fees to increase. That s the way the Stockmarket works. It's all about increased profits to the shareholders.

Here is a bit of irony from the founder of Reverb.com (bold is mine for emphasis):

David Kalt created Reverb shortly after purchasing a guitar store, Chicago Music Exchange. While working to find unique vintage guitars online for his shop and to sell gear online for extra revenue, he found that available options were cumbersome, [/B]expensive[/B], and not tailored for musicians and the nuances that come with buying and selling music gear.

Although I admire what he has built, I find it odd that he seems to have forgotten where he came from in terms of the "expensive" of his comment.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Although I admire what [Kalt] has built, I find it odd that he seems to have forgotten where he came from in terms of the "expensive" of his comment.
He had ideals, invested in a business, and then found out what it actually takes to run that business. Nothing unusual about that.

At least Reverb is still around and eBay isn't a monopoly, at least not when it comes to music and audio. Remember when eBay first started out and they had, like, a half dozen competitors in the online-auction space? May they rest in peace.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
At least Reverb is still around and eBay isn't a monopoly, at least not when it comes to music and audio. Remember when eBay first started out and they had, like, a half dozen competitors in the online-auction space? May they rest in peace.
Cant argue with that. Hopefully there will be more startups/competition. Amazon to my surprise, is even more expensive to sell on than eBay and Reverb.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Cant argue with that. Hopefully there will be more startups/competition. Amazon to my surprise, is even more expensive to sell on than eBay and Reverb.
There's always Etsy. But it has to be guitars you've made yourself. Preferably crocheted.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

If you think you are being ripped off by Ebay and Reverb why not start your own auction site. $100,000 should be enough to get you started...

FWIW
Wow what a really reasonable suggestion mentioned here. That is only about 1/10th of a small loan of a million dollars!
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my town......

Your town/region is a complete disaster from all of the stories you have shared on GS You have said you can't leave, but OH MY......I'd have packed my bags long ago and gotten out of the rust belt if I were you.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's always Etsy. But it has to be guitars you've made yourself. Preferably crocheted.
My daughter (14) crochets a lot. Makes hats, mittens, scarves. I encouraged her to check out Etsy, I didn't really know much about it, but thought maybe I could help her understand what it means to price a thing out - materials, labor, opportunity cost blah blah blah. She looked and wasn't interested. I checked it out, Etsy is a race to the bottom. No way anyone on there is making more then $10 an hour for their labor. She continues to be content with buying yarn on sale at Jo-Anne Fabrics, crocheting in class and having it sold by the time I pick her up. Clearing $150 a week just going to school. She's one to watch.
Old 8th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
Your town/region is a complete disaster from all of the stories you have shared on GS You have said you can't leave, but OH MY......I'd have packed my bags long ago and gotten out of the rust belt if I were you.
If I would have known what was going to happen 24 years ago I would have probably NOT settled in Oberlin. I would have gone somewhere else. My mastering studio is built here and for personal reasons I cannot leave at the present time.

I was talking to a few of the merchants up town and they told me that the people in Oberlin are the cheapest <expletive> they has ever had to deal with.

It seems no one who lives here wants to spend ANY money for ANYTHING. (I have seen some of my clients who complained about how much I charged them for a transfer) out at the local "wine and beverage store" spending $75 per bottle on some wine but...I guess they have money for that. It is all in what is important to the buyer.

As for CL clients I really don't post on CL anymore due to multiple buyers being
AH about their purchases.

FWIW
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Arent reverb and eBay both about 5 or 6% in total fees with shipping added? I really don't understand the issue except you'd rather they limit their profit for expensive items.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
Arent reverb and eBay both about 5 or 6% in total fees with shipping added? I really don't understand the issue except you'd rather they limit their profit for expensive items.
More like 10%. Capping the fees on higher priced items would be nice
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
More like 10%. Capping the fees on higher priced items would be nice
No, it's not more like 10%, it's 6.2% if you use their payment system, or 6.4% if you use PayPal. And they do cap their transaction fees...their transaction fee tops out at $350, so the overall percentage goes down for items priced about $10,000.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
No, it's not more like 10%, it's 6.2% if you use their payment system, or 6.4% if you use PayPal. And they do cap their transaction fees...their transaction fee tops out at $350, so the overall percentage goes down for items priced about $10,000.
eBay disagrees with you. You cannot ignore the "Final Value Fees"

Selling fees | eBay
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
...so the overall percentage goes down for items priced about $10,000.
Hopefully you are being sarcastic. Percentage goes down for items priced at $10k?

$10K is that all?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I mostly buy. Stuff on reverb always seem more expensive then Ebay. Ebay has this new internal payment bypassing Paypal that I don’t like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Stuff on reverb always seem more expensive then Ebay.
That's because Reverb has haggling built in. Like a pawn shop. Some people are uncomfortable with that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search