The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Current generation of young people 500 Series Chassis
Old 1 week ago
I couldn't help but think about this thread this week.

Strangely, I don't think I had bragged above about the $62 refurbished LG more or less first gen Android I bought back in 2012 (my carrier specializes in byo phone stuff) and have happily used since. Maybe because it was starting to get a little flaky... increasingly, it seemed like a ghost hand was tapping random elements after I'd use the phone. Sunday night and Monday morning, it came to a head. My phone looked haunted, doing stuff on its own -- calling people on its own. I kept pulling the battery to reboot it.

I'd looked previously at what was available (while staying with my own carrier) and it looked like I was going to have to drop $150, even on a used phone!

(Actually there were a whole slug of used iPhones listed for $50 but the Androids started around $150 in exchanges and stores I visited. But I'm not an Apple guy and can't imagine I will be, though that's no slag on those who are and I have to say that many of the company's social stands seem quite admirable. And, for that matter, I'd been finding Android increasingly frustrating -- not on my old phone, which was still running Android version 2.11(!) but on my cheapo tablet running 6.x. But I'm really not an Apple guy.)

So, Monday morning, I'm doing battery pull reboots every hour or two to keep my phone usable (the weirdness never started until I'd been using apps or in-build services), prowling used phone stores/exchanges on my computer and I try my carrier's online store one last time -- and lo and behold, there's a new Lenovo Moto E4 Plus with a $100 monthly service rebate that would reduce its ultimate cost to $70 + tax and shipping. I look at it, read some (mostly positive) reviews and think about the price, which is less than half what it had been looking like I'd have to spend to get a reasonable smart phone. So I plunged.

I ended up having to call the order in because of an order form issue (wouldn't take my apt number ) and when I got off my old phone, I expected to see it go wack again. It did not. I started playing with it gingerly (my new phone was days away) and then less gingerly, trying to get it to do its haunted phone routine. It would not.

The next day I woke up and (like someone who hadn't bought any significant new tech/toys in a long time) revisited the site to check details of the new just-ordered phone. I saw that the price was back up and the promo was now off -- and realized that I'd bought the new phone on Cyber Monday without even realizing it, accidentally taking advantage of a 'one time only' price promo.

And the shenanigans from my old 2012 Android had all but forced me to -- and then it went back to seemingly normal operation after the phone was safely ordered and the discount rebate obtained.

Now that's a smart phone!

PS... the new phone isn't perfect -- a bit big for my tastes -- but it smokes, performance-wise. Much, much faster than my tablet, which seems both processor and RAM starved. And far more capable than my old Android 2.11 phone. I mean, now I'll be able to deposit a paper check online. Ain't modern life wonderful?

Last edited by theblue1; 1 week ago at 08:06 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Will be buying my Mom her first smartphone this Christmas, she's 67.
We're alike in that we will not change for the most part, or consume new products, until we absolutely have to, or it becomes absurd not to. I'd say it's important to have a ("common") sense, a sort of internal equilibrium about when it is becoming a virtue or vice.

She had been in poverty for most of her life, never graduated HS, never owned a new car, etc. Just an old school hardheaded survivor.

I suggested that I get her this smartphone 2 or 3 years ago.
After I am sure, wrestling with the Archangels for a time, she finally agreed.
Old 1 week ago
Got my first cellphone last year- my son moved out and I needed a way to keep in touch with him. Very handy, but for some time I sent texts to the wrong person; thankfully I don't send sketchy texts. The only apps I have are Metronomerous and Asteroids.

Funny story about the generational thing- my daughter showed me how to do stuff on my phone. Now she's asking me to teach her Excel- I'm an advanced Excel user and she's never used it but will need it for her co-op term.

It's funny what tech the generations are good at. I'm good with tech that makes me money. Seeing the young 'uns walking and texting and almost walking in front of buses boggles my mind.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

25 year-old here. Most young people assume older adults don't know how to use technology because the vast majority come to us (i.e. our parents, teachers, relatives, etc.) to solve simple problems. We would all be free of college debt if we had $1 for every time a parent or someone over the age of 45 asked us to help with something simple like "taking a picture" or something like getting email to work on an iPhone, exporting a document to a different file type.

Obviously producers and engineers are the exception, so it is surprising to a degree that people in a professional context would assume anything of the sort.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate_this View Post
We would all be free of college debt if we had $1 for every time a parent or someone over the age of 45 asked us to help with something simple like "taking a picture" or something like getting email to work on an iPhone, exporting a document to a different file type.
if you had said over the age of 55, your post would have been more compelling. Most Gen Xers are tech-literate.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Yesterday i was doing some audio work for a young college aged student. I remarked that about a week ago I was having problems getting audio off a client's Android phone. The client then launches into a 10 minute one sided discussion about how I should talk to my "grand kids" about how to work with computers. He somehow made the assumption that I knew very little about computers because of my age. I listened to what he had to say but I did not have the heart to tell him that I personally designed and built all the PCs in the mastering and video studios and that I did all the troubleshooting and repairs on all our PC and Mac computers. I will just let him bask in his own made up reality.

A lot of young people today seem to think that anyone over 50 years of age is dumb when it comes to computers and anything technical. Most of my close friends are over 50 and most of them are very computer savvy. Where this idea comes from is probably from watching too much TV where they portray older people as computer illiterates when it comes to anything technical. This is typical of what people see on TV YouTube. What a load of CRAP.
We all experience this in a way or another from time to time. lol

I would probably bluntly put him into place.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate_this View Post
25 year-old here. Most young people assume older adults don't know how to use technology because the vast majority come to us (i.e. our parents, teachers, relatives, etc.) to solve simple problems. We would all be free of college debt if we had $1 for every time a parent or someone over the age of 45 asked us to help with something simple like "taking a picture" or something like getting email to work on an iPhone, exporting a document to a different file type.

Obviously producers and engineers are the exception, so it is surprising to a degree that people in a professional context would assume anything of the sort.
I think what you are doing is called "profiling" and sometimes gets people into trouble. Example "you are over 45 so that means you do not know how to do anything having to do with a computer". Sorry to burst your bubble but for everyone who cannot open their Emails there are others, over 45, who can program complex computers or design them.

I did not "grow up" with computers so I had to learn the hard way how to use them. I guess now they are starting to have Kindergartners use tablets so by the time they reach 18 they should be masters at computing. And the world progresses... of course their will be some new things to learn and the people who grew up with computers will have to learn something new and their kids will have to show them how its done.

When I was born there were no cell phones, no atomic bombs, no computers, no front wheel drive cars, no trips to the moon, no internet, no LED bulbs, no frozen meals, no TV, no microwave ovens, no tape recorders. no GPS, no Jet aircraft and most people did NOT go to college and there was no Global Warming. FWIW, those are all things that were "added" while I was growing up.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Thomas, that would make you about 88. Tape recording came into use in Germany in 1930. You could be 82 as the first jet aircraft flew in 1936 and the BBC started the worlds first regular TV broadcasts. But you could also be a younger 72 as the first microwave oven was sold in 1946.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
Thomas, that would make you about 88. Tape recording came into use in Germany in 1930. You could be 82 as the first jet aircraft flew in 1936 and the BBC started the worlds first regular TV broadcasts. But you could also be a younger 72 as the first microwave oven was sold in 1946.
Close...I am not 88 nor 72 but old enough to have witness the first in many areas. First Commercial tape recorder was on the market in 1948. It was an Ampex. The German recorders used steel bands at the time you mentioned.

Actually you should probably read this The Development of the Tape Recorder | Encyclopedia.com and this Tape recorder - Wikipedia.

As to commercial jet aircraft: The first purpose-built jet airliner was the British de Havilland Comet which first flew in 1949 and entered service in 1952. Also developed in 1949 was the Avro Canada C102 Jetliner, which never reached production; however the term jetliner came into use as a generic term for passenger jet aircraft. The US military had jets in late 1940 and were used in the Korean conflict in the early 1950s.

As to TV Watch: The first TV commercial, which aired 75 years ago today — Quartz in 1941.

FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Hi Thomas.
The first tape recorders were made by AEG with oxide coated paper tape invented by Fritz Pfleumer made by BASF. Ampex gained the technology after the war. Yes, the Comet was the first jet airliner, but the first jet powered plane to actually fly was the Heinkel HE178. As to tv, I give you.... BBC - The Birth of TV - Opening Night - History of the BBC and YouTube
Aint this fun
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
Hi Thomas.
The first tape recorders were made by AEG with oxide coated paper tape invented by Fritz Pfleumer made by BASF. Ampex gained the technology after the war. Yes, the Comet was the first jet airliner, but the first jet powered plane to actually fly was the Heinkel HE178. As to tv, I give you.... BBC - The Birth of TV - Opening Night - History of the BBC and YouTube
Aint this fun
I was very young in the 1940s and non existent in the 1930's. So I have to rely on my memories of what was happening or reading about them later. Have a GREAT holiday and keep up the detective work.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Have a great holiday too Thomas!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Recently took a trip with an aunt and uncle in their late 70's. They wanted me to drive them to their daughter's house in another state. They have a vehicle less than 6 months old.

They called AAA to get them to highlight the route on a map for them. Then mail them the map.

When they told me they had the map, I said, "but you have a navigation system right here". To which my uncle said, "yeah, when I called triple A, the guy on the phone asked if I had a GPS. If I knew how to use it I wouldn't have called him."

Now I'm in my late 50's, but I found that funny. They also had no idea about Driver's aids like adaptive cruise control and that the vehicle would even apply brakes to stop itself if needed.

You have to laugh. If we live long enough, we'll all get there one day.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Ive never enjoyed the theory of a generational gap, as though certain babies born between 1 year and the next will experience nature differently.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
Ive never enjoyed the theory of a generational gap, as though certain babies born between 1 year and the next will experience nature differently.
I agree. But there can be some generational 'shears' between different cultural eras.

When I was getting out of high school at the end of the 60s, my friends, left and right, leaned anti-war, anti-authoritarian. We listened to rock and hippie music.

But guys 4 or 5 years older seemed to be far more politically and culturally conservative -- which was largely NOT how my contemporaries were a half decade later... the era had left a real cultural watermark on us, just as the late 50s and early 60s had left a mark on the 'older guys' who honed so much closer to mainstream values for much longer (though, they, too, were often swept along in cultural current eddies -- all those flowered polyester shirts had to go somewhere, for sure, my sub-generation wouldn't have anything to do with them).

As someone who has always got bored with pop culture quickly, I found that as the mainstream folks adopted trappings of the alternative/youth culture, that that pushed me farther away. I cut off my once-nearly waist-length hair in 1973, prowled what outsider/art damage music I could find (the initial 'progressive music' era fielded a lot of outsider stuff that was FAR more interesting to me than the commercial prog stuff like ELP, Yes, etc -- though I respected Yes for that killer rhythm section).

Around 1975, I notice the younger folks at adventurous music clubs I'd sometimes go to were also affecting a different style, shorter hair, straight leg jeans. As soon as I saw a bunch of seemingly hip kids with straight leg jeans, I realized I was out of balance... bell bottoms are perfect for balancing out long/big hair... but you look like a dork with short hair and bell-bottoms. I literally went out a day or two later and bought a bunch of second-hand straight legged jeans.

Over the next couple of years as punk and other new music emerged stylistically, after a bit of shock (the very first time I heard the Pistols it was on a funky, plastic speaker teen hi fi and you couldn't make out anything), I began to see the continuity to outsider music of the past, from bands like the Blue Cheer and the Stooges on the one hand to Eno, Roxy, Bebop Deluxe, etc on the other.

But, of course, when the music biz finally began being able to partially decode the to-them 'surprising' popularity of the new music, pumping out sanitized, safe new wave from outfits like the Cars, Police, and U2 and hack, cookie-cutter faux punk, it was time to move on... I guess I'm just a cultural hobo.
Old 2 days ago
I think this (from the late 1950s musical, Flower Drum Song) sums it up nicely...

the older generation speaks...

the younger generation reprises...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search