The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Im gonna say it... Native Instruments sucks Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
Well then... You go girl! The SEM is okay. I can see you're giddy about it.

the point is that outside of reaktor and absynth.... ni does suck
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post

But not nearly as much as Arturia
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Quote:
But not nearly as much as Arturia
Wow...Komplete and the Arturia V5 bundle are 2 of my most relied on packs of instruments...sounds like the indian not the arrow!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Wow...Komplete and the Arturia V5 bundle are 2 of my most relied on packs of instruments...sounds like the indian not the arrow!
There are so many indians, and so many arrows... and let's not forget about all the bows to shoot those arrows with...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow... That comment is almost as uninformed as it is racist.

I love kontakt, although I've never used any of the included sample library. I find the 3rd party stuff (LASS, Chris Hein, East West, Scarbee, etc) to be far superior. I did purchase the Vintage Organs as well, but I still prefer the good old B4.

Arturia sounded okay when it was the only game around, but I quickly found lots of alternatives that sound much better.

But if you think the Arturia piano, rhodes, B3, CS80, Minimoog, Prophet, Jupiter 8 and Matrix 12 are great sounding emulations, more power to you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

sounds like we've both bought both packages... I'm sure that both bundles are what many many people rely on and the word sucks might be too crass for some to handle but the truth is that it's all subjective, it's just my opinion that the majority of the ni bundle sounds like junk, as far as the Arturia collection there is a lot in it that could be improved but I love the sound of the titles I listed and feel that those titles alone make it worth far more to me than the komplete bundle. I hardly even open up komplete anymore at all and spend most of my time in Keyscape, v-collection, and uhe.......... even the maschine I spent too much money on sits lifeless and without a purpose housing that tired excuse for a sequencer. It is what it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I love kontakt, although I've never used any of the included sample library. I find the 3rd party stuff (LASS, Chris Hein, East West, Scarbee, etc) to be far superior. I did purchase the Vintage Organs as well, but I still prefer the good old B4.

Arturia sounded okay when it was the only game around, but I quickly found lots of alternatives that sound much better.

But if you think the Arturia piano, rhodes, B3, CS80, Minimoog, Prophet, Jupiter 8 and Matrix 12 are great sounding emulations, more power to you.
It’s just a saying - no racism intended of course. I can see why it’s an easy PC way to score points though.

Like most people I don’t have the originals to compare; however I tend to find that when ignoring snobbery and just making music, the Arturia plug-ins are useful and get results. I don’t really care if they sound like the originals or not (the only synth of which I’m familiar with is the Minimoog); they make sounds that fit.

I’m not a massive fan of their piano either but I have lots of options there anyway.

I’m just pointing out that saying “NI sucks” or “Arturia sucks!” probably days a lot more about the user than it does about the companies involved. Their success also says as much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It’s just a saying - no racism intended of course. I can see why it’s an easy PC way to score points though.

Like most people I don’t have the originals to compare; however I tend to find that when ignoring snobbery and just making music, the Arturia plug-ins are useful and get results. I don’t really care if they sound like the originals or not (the only synth of which I’m familiar with is the Minimoog); they make sounds that fit.

I’m not a massive fan of their piano either but I have lots of options there anyway.

I’m just pointing out that saying “NI sucks” or “Arturia sucks!” probably days a lot more about the user than it does about the companies involved. Their success also says as much.
It is racist, regardless of how it's meant. There are a million other ways to say that. (As you did in your last paragraph) Word choice matters, and your comment about PC, seems to be a dodge on your end.

Regarding your point that you don't care what if they sound like the originals. I don't own hardware synths these days but I've owned or played everything in the current bundle and if you're going to advertise something as being a replica, it should actually sound like the synth your advertising it as replicating.

When Hans Zimmer's CS-80 went down and he needed something to finish up whatever he was working on at the time (I got this info second hand from Kent Spong, who fixes his CS80s), he didn't use the Arturia. He used Uhe's Zerbra2, which isn't a CS80 emulation. But it does CS type sounds much better than the Arturia. Except for the SEM, Arturia's replicas sound thin to me. There's always something that sounds better.

Your last sentence is just wrong. Success at selling something doesn't equal it's really good. Pro Tools is the best seller, but is it really the best? Behringer sells more stuff than anyone, but does that make it the best? The current US president played the world's greatest deal maker on TV and got great ratings.

enough said. As I mentioned above, if you think their great, more power too you. I think it's more PC to have people jumping down your throat for saying something sucks... Who's the snowflake here?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got a question, who's got better Farfisa and Vox than Arturia, cause I'd like to try it out?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
It is racist, regardless of how it's meant. There are a million other ways to say that. (As you did in your last paragraph) Word choice matters, and your comment about PC, seems to be a dodge on your end.

Regarding your point that you don't care what if they sound like the originals. I don't own hardware synths these days but I've owned or played everything in the current bundle and if you're going to advertise something as being a replica, it should actually sound like the synth your advertising it as replicating.

When Hans Zimmer's CS-80 went down and he needed something to finish up whatever he was working on at the time (I got this info second hand from Kent Spong, who fixes his CS80s), he didn't use the Arturia. He used Uhe's Zerbra2, which isn't a CS80 emulation. But it does CS type sounds much better than the Arturia. Except for the SEM, Arturia's replicas sound thin to me. There's always something that sounds better.

Your last sentence is just wrong. Success at selling something doesn't equal it's really good. Pro Tools is the best seller, but is it really the best? Behringer sells more stuff than anyone, but does that make it the best? The current US president played the world's greatest deal maker on TV and got great ratings.

enough said. As I mentioned above, if you think their great, more power too you. I think it's more PC to have people jumping down your throat for saying something sucks... Who's the snowflake here?

Typical brainwashed zombie overdosing on a propaganda mentality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
When people cry racism, it usually says more about them than anything. Funny how you can only see racism in things. Sounds like you got some dark demons you need to take care of.

Oh yeah, snowflake, Tumblr's that way ====>
Get movin'...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I don't want to derail the thread with this, but learn the difference between "racisim" and "political correctness".

I appreciate that in some cultures, using the term "indian" instead of "native american" might be a cause of offence. If that's you - I apologise. This metaphor isn't offensive where I'm from, where this board is based, or where I live now, but I suppose the reach here is global, so I can see why some might take offence. For that I apologise, but there's a big difference between unintended offence and racism. So don't pull the racism card if you don't understand the term. It's quite clear a metaphor in this instance is not insulting any particular race!

Quote:

I get that point, and I don't know Hans Zimmer's repair guy (nor do I know Hans Zimmer's expertise on synth sounds). You don't like something? fine. But that doesn't mean it "sucks"! I have a REAL B3 in our studio. Sometimes I use the Arturia version instead (the purist in me would always use the real thing, but if the player isn't great, or time is short, it's not possible). Most of the time, in the end result, you would't know.

Quote:
Your last sentence is just wrong. Success at selling something doesn't equal it's really good. Pro Tools is the best seller, but is it really the best? Behringer sells more stuff than anyone, but does that make it the best?
Pro Tools isn't the "best seller" by any means, but it's in top end studios almost exclusively because it does the job it's designed for (tape machine replacement) better than any other solution...

Quote:
Anytime someone says "snowflake" I think "argument lost" FWIW...

My point is that anyone who says "xyz sucks" when xyz is a successful product used by successful people worldwide, is showing more about themselves than anything else. NI |(this isn't even Arturia we're talking about!) make the #1 3rd party sampler in Kontakt - think of all the libraries available for it (Output, Spitfire etc). Even if that was their only product - they wouldn't "suck". Lots of their own libraries (Abbey Road drums for example) are great. Some of the reacktor instruments are inspiring. Komplete is worth it for all that!

And - these libraries are used on worldwide hits all the time. If you prefer something else - fine - as you say - but it simply doesn't mean something "sucks".

Make a bold statement, expect a bold rebuke.
Old 4 weeks ago
liv
Gear Addict

Absynth and Massive are two of my top favorites. Both are brilliant, each with it's ingenious designer, Brian Clevinger and Mike Daliot.

I am very confident Massive X will be something extraordinary and enjoyable to work with.

Personally I have only good things to say about NI, both products and support.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
Absynth and Massive are two of my top favorites. Both are brilliant, each with it's ingenious designer, Brian Clevinger and Mike Daliot.

I am very confident Massive X will be something extraordinary and enjoyable to work with.

Personally I have only good things to say about NI, both products and support.
But how much development or improvements have happened with Absynth and Massive over the past decade? . Even just a GUI improvement with Absynth would do wonders.

Reaktor was virtually ignored for years until V5 was finally released.

There were great features in Battery 3 that were abandoned in Battery 4. The amazing aspect is that not many people apparently noticed. That says a lot about NI's user base even by the time Battery 4 was added.
YouTube

And my personal wound...abandonment of Kore..to this day no replacement. You would think, based on todays NI revenue, they would revive Kore or replace it with the equivalent, but to my knowledge, there are no plans for that. Again I must wonder if part of the reason is that Stephen and JWH are long departed from NI?

Today NI to me means lots of samples, sample based tools, and never ending Maschine expansions. I guess someone is buying them. Yes, I'm aware of the current exceptions, but it's nothing like the innovative days of Kore.

I can't blame NI because the big money is at a wider or more casual user base. I just wish a developer would come along and replace the type of innovation that NI has abandoned. But even JWH, with his Sonic Arts Freestyle hasn't introduced Kore-type morphing so I guess the amount of resources isn't worth the financial gains...at this point anyway.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've got a question, who's got better Farfisa and Vox than Arturia, cause I'd like to try it out?
I have an old Farfisa Mini Compact in my basement that still works perfectly, but I'm guessing you want a plugin. I usually just use B4 or Vintage Organs by NI and turn off the Leslie. It's not an exact replica (neither is the Arturia), but it does the trick. I prefer that sound. Brian Wilson used it a lot, instead of Farfisa/Vox.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

PM... You're idea of "bold" is rather limp. Kind of like the sound of Arturia.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
When people cry racism, it usually says more about them than anything. Funny how you can only see racism in things. Sounds like you got some dark demons you need to take care of.

Oh yeah, snowflake, Tumblr's that way ====>
Get movin'...
Oh man! You really got me! Why dark demons, though? Are you racist? It's funny how much you and Steve King have in common. It's usually racists who say that people who "cry racism" are the real racists. And you're such a bully s/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shire View Post
Typical brainwashed zombie overdosing on a propaganda mentality.
Maybe you and ionian should get a room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lol, you guys crack me up
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
PM... You're idea of "bold" is rather limp. Kind of like the sound of Arturia.
Whatever. I know what I meant, and it’s pretty clear.

Quote:
Oh man! You really got me! Why dark demons, though? Are you racist? It's funny how much you and Steve King have in common. It's usually racists who say that people who "cry racism" are the real racists. And you're such a bully s/
I try not to mod threads I’m involved in, but a polite warning - drop the off topic racism-accusations. Nothing has been said here that’s racist. If you think so, you don’t understand the term.

I accept my metaphor might not have been PC and I’ve already said as much, but it’s not racist, and neither is anything else here. So let’s leave it there please.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Whatever you say boss. You've got the power of the life-time ban. We'll just leave it at Arturia may be acceptable for some non-discerning users and move on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever you say boss. You've got the power of the life-time ban. We'll just leave it at Arturia may be acceptable for some non-discerning users and move on.
can't leave it like that man, first of all outside of the farsi in your basement the Arturia is the best one I've been able to find in software.

secondly... this is the NI sucks thread, lets get that straight pal
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not your pal. But I'll give you this. NI sucks. But since I love Kontakt, it sucks far less than Arturia.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yeah well I love absynth and reaktor but yeah NI sucks and I think the important thing here is that we agree that NI sucks and that we're not Pals, but I can't help but wonder .... what if we were pals, would that change things hmmm..... nope NI would still suck.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lol...you're welcome?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
People need to realise that just because someone might be a mod, I'm not going to ban people for disagreeing!

Generally I try not to mod threads I'm involved in; the deletion above was merely to keep this on track (well as on track as it was).

You only get bans or infractions for rule breaks, not for having an opinion!

It really does astound me that people think otherwise, it's not from prior experience!

Apologies for not being "discerning". I've just been working on production for one of the biggest artists in Aus (and becoming known all over the world - playing Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen etc). Arturia all over the place (and Kontakt too!).

Maybe you could clarify it to "people more interested in getting the job done than obsessing over exact differences in tone in their bedrooms"?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think some people need to watch some vids of producers making a whole new song from a single sample. It'll show what can be done if you know how.

Why is that relevant? Whilst some manufactures might apply processing like stereo widening, saturation and volume boosting to their samples to fool you into thinking that they are so much more pristine, vibrant and hard hitting. Other manufacturers just give you the original as is (or nearly as is) and leave it to you to pristine it up the way you want. Either can be used in a production and neither is inferior.

Quick, somebody better tell the tens of thousands of producers using NI daily that they don't know what they are listening to!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You only get bans or infractions for rule breaks, not for having an opinion!
Tell someone thanks for that.

For example, in years past, negative opinions in the Cubase forum, has led to heavy handed moderation, vanishing posts, and even bans. The result led to proliferation of the Gearslutz Cubase forum. Then Cubase representatives, running to the Gearslutz Cubase forum for damage control, addressing identical Cubase issues, plus the same banned Cubase forum members.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefjack1000 View Post
Im gonna say it... Native Instruments sucks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Absynth was the first VI I ever bought. Fond memories of making loops with no DAW on an old iMac lol.

That said, feels like NI became a cash grab over the years. Innovation stopped. Every Komplete bundle update seems like they just added mediocre libraries that eventually get lost on a hard drive.

I did grab a used Komplete Kontrol mk2, though. Thing is pretty nice for getting ideas out quickly, but can't say I would've ever bought it at full price. Between that and Push 2, I do feel like I'm actually making music like I used to (with instruments and a Tascam 4 track) and not just doing work on a computer.

Arturia is meh to me. A few bright spots. But I'm using u-he (or even Roland) over their classic emulations all day.

I feel like 60% of the complaints about the sound being "thin, weak, etc" can be remedied with the overabundance of processing tools we have nowadays anyway. By the time I'm done working on sound design, I can barely remember where it came from in the first place.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search