The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Fires Single-Channel Preamps
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Then again, I have a client who sincerely believes it's all caused by the Men Behind the Curtain and their airborne lasers.
There's a 'theory' doing the rounds that it's all to do with the railway expansion? Apparently the planned areas of new track happen to coincide with the fires.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Is Vernell Trout any relation to G.Q. Stedley? By any chance?

The record noise almost sold it...

Great little song, no matter what.
Just now checked out Vernell. Holy crap. No idea who he is, but he found a much cleaner copy.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
There's a 'theory' doing the rounds that it's all to do with the railway expansion? Apparently the planned areas of new track happen to coincide with the fires.
I'd like to see them railroad tycoons face to face with the Malibu Celebrity Militia.
Old 20 hours ago
Quote:
Just now checked out Vernell. Holy crap. No idea who he is, but he found a much cleaner copy.
So... it's not you in musical disguise and you're saying this is, actually, an old song? The lyrics seem suspiciously modern, snarkily so; I would have thought 80s or later from the snarky tone and references to science. (I do understand that RNA was discovered way back in 1868 though it was called nuclein at first.)

When I searched for the song or mention of the band on the web, all I found was that version of the song on that fella's Soundcloud page.

And you are a bit of a joker.

Hopefully I can be forgiven the apparent flare-up of my latent apophenia.
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
So... it's not you in musical disguise and you're saying this is, actually, an old song?
No, it's my song. It's old, but maybe 7 or 8 years, not decades. I had totally forgotten about it until this thread reminded me of it, and then I smooshed it up some to antiquify it just for fun, which you busted me for :-)

I have no clue who this Vernell guy is or how he got it, but I do tend to spread my stuff around.

Funny thing, over in the Mastering forum I just posted in a thread about an ex-boss who has revised history to turn my work into his own. Weird.

And FWIW, "Tupelo Honeybees" is a pretty good name, dontcha think?
Old 19 hours ago
Quote:
No, it's my song. It's old, but maybe 7 or 8 years, not decades. I had totally forgotten about it until this thread reminded me of it, and then I smooshed it up some to antiquify it just for fun, which you busted me for :-)

I have no clue who this Vernell guy is or how he got it, but I do tend to spread my stuff around.

Funny thing, over in the Mastering forum I just posted in a thread about an ex-boss who has revised history to turn my work into his own. Weird.

And FWIW, "Tupelo Honeybees" is a pretty good name, dontcha think?
Oh, yeah, and that was the other not so subtle tip that it probably wasn't a fifties tune -- though, I have to say, with the scratches and the song's innate old-timey vibe, I was definitely thinking postwar era... at least until the lyrics seemed to suggest at least a somewhat more modern vintage.

Really a good job, Brent. Part of the reason I went down this road was because I thought such craft ought to be rewarded. (Though I may have to un-like the page of the guy who seems to have 'claimed' it as his own. Are we sure that's not one of your alter-egos that you've just forgotten? )
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are we sure that's not one of your alter-egos that you've just forgotten? )
Pretty sure. That's not the kind of name I'd think up. But neither is GQ Stedley, someone else came up with that one, too.

Weirdly flattering, I guess. Like the ex-boss thing.
Old 18 hours ago
Quote:
Pretty sure. That's not the kind of name I'd think up. But neither is GQ Stedley, someone else came up with that one, too.

Weirdly flattering, I guess. Like the ex-boss thing.
You're a bigger (or at least more relaxed) man than me. I can easily get over people 'sharing' my music -- at least they're listening -- but as 'flattering' as having someone take credit for one's music might be, I think it would really tick me off. Fortunately, few seem willing to lay (even false) claim to my music.

BTW... been listening to the G.Q. Stedley stuff the last 10 or 12 minutes, as I often do when I find myself over at SoundCloud. Really solid stuff, man. Great feel! It ought to be available commercially... that way I could fold it into my regular steam play and you could make a few pennies...

[Sinner preaching to the choir, there. While my SC page has all sorts of nutty crap from the last 3 decades and change, I just can't seem to bring myself to commit to formal mixes, release, promo, etc.]

Last edited by theblue1; 18 hours ago at 07:22 PM..
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
You're a bigger (or at least more relaxed) man than me. I can easily get over people 'sharing' my music -- at least they're listening -- but as 'flattering' as having someone take credit for one's music might be, I think it would really tick me off. Fortunately, few seem willing to lay (even false) claim to my music.
If I thought there would ever be money involved I might care more. Besides, it's copyrighted. As in registered with the Gubmint.

The ex-boss thing, on the other hand, really ticks me off. Because if he was willing to say that online in 2017, I think there's at least the possibility he's been saying it privately ever since he fired me in 1999. By doing so, he'd have been telling people that I'm the dishonest one, with work on my showreel that I didn't actually create. Damaging to my professional reputation, and it may have cost me work.
Old 18 hours ago
Quote:
If I thought there would ever be money involved I might care more. Besides, it's copyrighted. As in registered with the Gubmint.

The ex-boss thing, on the other hand, really ticks me off. Because if he was willing to say that online in 2017, I think there's at least the possibility he's been saying it privately ever since he fired me in 1999. By doing so, he'd have been telling people that I'm the dishonest one, with work on my showreel that I didn't actually create. Damaging to my professional reputation, and it may have cost me work.
Yeah. That would, indeed, really tick me off. It's one thing for someone out there on the 'net to D one around but when it's someone you knew personally, worked under, and he's claiming your creative work..? That's really, really low.
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... when it's someone you knew personally, worked under, and he's claiming your creative work..? That's really, really low.
It's especially odd because he and his longtime writing partner have done a ton of great work themselves. Way more than me.
Old 17 hours ago
Quote:
It's especially odd because he and his longtime writing partner have done a ton of great work themselves. Way more than me.

Insecurity? Greed? Willfully poor memory?

It's hard to know why accomplished people would grab more than their fair share of credit for something when they're already well-represented in the accomplishments department.

I could see someone who ran an agency bragging about work done in their shop, but personally taking credit seems well out-of-bounds and definitely unsportsmanlike.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I could see someone who ran an agency bragging about work done in their shop, but personally taking credit seems well out-of-bounds and definitely unsportsmanlike.
If you follow the link and read the "Fun Facts," the story is truncated but basically correct; it's just not really about him. And one thing they leave out of the story is that there's a huge factual error in the copy of the spot. A glaring mistake that nobody caught at the time, and I guess they still haven't.
Old 9 hours ago
Quote:
If you follow the link and read the "Fun Facts," the story is truncated but basically correct; it's just not really about him. And one thing they leave out of the story is that there's a huge factual error in the copy of the spot. A glaring mistake that nobody caught at the time, and I guess they still haven't.
Wow. That takes a lot of the wrong kind of stones.

I have to admit it's been many years since I watched the Simpsons regularly so I don't have the kind of familiarity to catch a canonical error, even for that iconic show. Now... Perry Mason... (You did have me double-checking to make sure we're still in the Milky Way, though. Getting old is unnerving. Sometimes you just aren't sure what you know anymore.)
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... it's been many years since I watched the Simpsons regularly so I don't have the kind of familiarity to catch a canonical error...
The mistake: "Room 218." Couldn't possibly be. In the full version of the show open (which they don't use all that often) Bart is clearly writing his "I will not's" on the blackboard in a room on the ground floor.

D'oh!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search