The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GC steps back from the precipice... Modular Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

GC steps back from the precipice...

In the for what it's worth information category.

Guitar Center, Once on a Precipice, Is Now Opening New Stores – Rolling Stone

Journalistic fluff piece. GC will probably fold within a year, all for show no for go. Shiny flashy stores with big names performing does not, IMHO, equate with greatness or longevity. FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Pretty cynical, even for you. Are you rooting for GC to fail?
Old 5 days ago
The article neglected to mention a chalkboard, way at the back of the store, where patrons are invited to write

"Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center."
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
GC will probably fold within a year,
Ain't gonna happen.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Pretty cynical, even for you. Are you rooting for GC to fail?

No but when you start to see "fluff journalism pieces" about a company there is something else going on behind the scenes. FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Ain't gonna happen.
That is what they said about SEARS...Bye Bye!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I feel like my local GC's have no direction or what to expect. Forgetting what it used to be in general, some bigger stores had full setups for a moderate professional (like say a Digidesign C24 or something you may not expect in stores) and most others had a good range of samplers and keyboards in the pro audio section. Also, all the monitors used to be hooked up. I am not a guitar player nor a drummer so I go straight to pro audio.

It then went to controllers, they didn't carry much keyboards but they were not as useful as people went DAW based. At least you could feel the keys, even though it typically wasn't hooked up to anything, you could get an idea of what it felt like, and if educated, what it did.

I go to two now, not so regularly. One has a great used selection, but basically only has entry level gear so if you have some sort of setup, nothing is really an upgrade. The other, it basically cleared out everything and sold vinyl. Just popular titles that are now sold other places so it isn't even unique.

I feel the only thing I can count on is mics and cables, that is it. Maybe headphones. They may have monitors on display but they are rarely hooked up, and what is shown isn't in stock. I can buy patch cables but not a patch bay. It really isn't for a working musician but it may not even fit a moderate hobbyist.

I am not here to hate, I have seen the way retail goes, I have worked for online businesses that were niche, but the products became popular enough to sell at Whole Foods, and now Target or Safeway. I have interviewed with companies that used to be really reputable in audio that have gone entirely ecommerce due to lack of a physical market place due to cost cutting and lack of shelf space. It goes both ways.

My issue with GC is you simply don't know what to expect and why you may choose one over the other. It seems you are just beta testing what may still work, but not consistently over your stores in an immediate area. If I need cables, great, anything else, not so much. As the article states, many things you just don't want to buy online, you want to hear it or feel it and I don't think they do a good job. Used gear is still great, the prices aren't the best but they tend to stay with good pieces, but have a 30 day hold. On occasion, I am split between two things I am willing to pay a bit more for because I am there, only to be informed I cannot buy either for a few weeks, so I either don't buy, or buy elsewhere. I get that responsibility but just mark the date so i know.
Old 3 days ago
Yeah, straight out of the ADV101, "*Everyone* loves Brawny paper towels!...". I must be a moron for using Old Tshirts, and feel soo out of the loop!
Anyway, I can appreciate the precarious balance GC is trying to maintain, and personally I have had positive experiences.
Keep up with the used instruments section and studio/electronic instruments. Yeah, if you have to feature an artist who cannot play, or even recognize a 6 string in a lineup, Do That.
I remember going into a music store a couple decades ago and putting down large cash or financing on a piece was a commitment. And there's some effort going on to re-brand the Guitar's public image from an object of patriarchal oppresssion to an instrument that can betray it's phallic representation and get with Girl Power.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search