The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio - what's the deal?
Old 6th November 2018
Stam Audio - what's the deal?

Long story short, this is sadly the same old story. I ordered 2 pieces from Stam Audio. One, over a year ago, and another at the beginning of this year. I check in with them every couple weeks, and every time, it's the same story. "Those are going to be shipping in the next two weeks!", "Those will ship out any day now!", and then there's nothing else, until I check in again.

I've been incredibly patient (probably my mistake for not being more demanding), and I really don't know what else to do.

I'm hoping someone that has had success in receiving gear from them can help me figure out how to get the gear that I ordered forever ago. I realize that I could probably just request a refund, but I really would like to get this gear. I just had no idea this would be such a frustratingly long saga when I made the decision to order them.

I guess I should've known better...
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Truly not trying to be harsh at all, but yes, you should’ve known better... There’s no reason not to. What I mean is that they’ve always had that reputation and everyone all over the internet has been saying exactly the same thing, nearly from the beginning. Why would it be any different? It hasn’t been. I knew it going in with the pair of SA-3As I ordered on day one of sales being open for them. And here I still wait, checking-in every quarter or so, just to make sure I’ve not been forgotten.

If you really are figuring this all out for the first time, I’ve yet to ever hear someone not eventually get product from them, so you can relax there. Otherwise, yes, you can request a refund, and again, I’ve never heard anyone not getting one, eventually.
Old 6th November 2018
I find this completely unacceptable.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Why don't you just get a refund and purchase gears that are made in States? There are so many great choices, let alone reasonable prices. Waiting for a mere replica that long and getting stressed about it doesn't seem to be worth it.
Old 6th November 2018
I ordered their U47FET clone and it arrived within two months, but I've been lucky. Right now, buying from Stam just means that you might have to wait a very long time. That does not mean you'll never get it, but you can't buy something with certain expectations on when it's gonna be there.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

There's a long thread in the moan zone. People should read it and make their own decisions.

I had no problem with Stam constantly changing wait times, till they started taking final payment and still could not deliver - that's bullsh!t and no amount of company prevarication or fanboy "support the little guy" nonsense can change that.

Last edited by swafford; 8th November 2018 at 12:50 PM..
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I had no problem with Stam constantly changing wait times, till they started taking final payment and still had could not deliver - that's bullsh!t and no amount of company prevarication or fanboy "support the little guy" nonsense can change that.
Agreed. Don't charge my damn card until the unit is in the box! Or at least maybe send me a notice that "all parts have arrived for your product and we are charging your card now."
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Agreed. Don't charge my damn card until the unit is in the box! Or at least maybe send me a notice that "all parts have arrived for your product and we are charging your card now."
I didn't mind when there was a request for payment beyond the deposit to acquire parts, that certainly implies a level of progress. But I wouldn't expect a 'final bill' unless an item is ready for shipment and ready means built, tested, packed, labeled and entered in the DHS shipping system.

It's really not that complicated to manage orders and respond to emails and there are lot's of tested business models to reasearch for on-demand manufacturing and heavy discounting through bypassing retail supply chains. I also realize that sometimes things get out of hand and/or just fvcked up due to suppliers, human resources or not having a clue how NOS tubes work (or, more importantly, don't work), but to do so for literally YEARS ON END and PRODUCT AFTER PRODUCT is really something to behold (or maybe fathom if they have your money.)

But hey, it will be better next month.

And by the way did you check your spam folder?
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear
Aka stam folder
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah if ur in a rush to get ur gear just pay more and buy what you want. If you have extreme amounts of patience, well worth the price of admission. I know the stamchild isnt gonna be here till about this time next year but ill be happy when it gets here and i can have a piece of gear that ive always wanted.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear
yeah, i got my SA2A after a year, but i just don’t mind it’s just a great deal so no complaints there. if you hate to wait then source out another manufactures, but likely pay a hefty prices.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
I find this completely unacceptable.
You have that choice to not accept this by doing your research (so easy now days, right at fingertips, at anytime), easily finding everyone’s experiences (all over the internet), and choosing not to purchase from them.
Old 6th November 2018
Deleted c2a9416
Maybe Stam's a victim of his own success. His business model ties his own hands to some extent.
He did say in another thread that he was working to turn things around.
Hope so, everyone needs a Stamchild
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have several pieces of stam gear that I love, but I got them on ebay or reverb (from stam directly in several cases) and those experiences were fine. I ordered a few more things directly and it's been testing my patience, lately. I definitely have started to feel like I am getting a runaround after having had a piece of gear they told me would ship "this week" for 3 weeks, then was marked as shipped on october 12th to placate me and still hasn't been dropped off at DHL nearly a month later... I am highly tempted to cancel the rest of my preorders at this point.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
I have several pieces of stam gear that I love, but I got them on ebay or reverb (from stam directly in several cases) and those experiences were fine. I ordered a few more things directly and it's been testing my patience, lately. I definitely have started to feel like I am getting a runaround after having had a piece of gear they told me would ship "this week" for 3 weeks, then was marked as shipped on october 12th to placate me and still hasn't been dropped off at DHL nearly a month later... I am highly tempted to cancel the rest of my preorders at this point.
I was issued DHL tracking numbers for two items and after the items never arrived at DHL over a week later I reached out to Stam. They told me the tracking numbers were sent in error and my units were still in QA (after being told multiple weeks in a row they were "shipping this week".

I was told this morning my units are shipping TODAY.

Stam makes great products, but they need to learn to manage customer expectations with 100% honesty. I don't mind being told it won't be done for another month or two, I do mind being told it's shipping this week when there is absolutely no intent to ship it and I have to reach out for details later on.

That said, I'm not done ordering from them yet.
Old 6th November 2018
Quote:
after having had a piece of gear they told me would ship "this week" for 3 weeks, then was marked as shipped on october 12th to placate me and still hasn't been dropped off at DHL nearly a month later... I am highly tempted to cancel the rest of my preorders at this point.
This is kind of the problem for me right here... I personally don't really care about the long waiting times, right now that's just part of the Stam deal. But they make promises they can't make. If you're not able to ship it this week, don't say you are going to. They did this with me as well: "shipping next friday!" "shipping next week!". I really like my microphone and like I said it came relatively quick, but it wasn't shipped on the days they said it was gonna be shipped.

Gladly, they are working hard on getting it fixed and I have confidence that when they're done with the preorder system it will work just fine.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
This is kind of the problem for me right here... I personally don't really care about the long waiting times, right now that's just part of the Stam deal. But they make promises they can't make. If you're not able to ship it this week, don't say you are going to. They did this with me as well: "shipping next friday!" "shipping next week!". I really like my microphone and like I said it came relatively quick, but it wasn't shipped on the days they said it was gonna be shipped.

Gladly, they are working hard on getting it fixed and I have confidence that when they're done with the preorder system it will work just fine.
But then I saw a facebook post last week or so asking if people would be interested in preordering a Stamchild 660 version...so is the system done?
Old 6th November 2018
Quote:
But then I saw a facebook post last week or so asking if people would be interested in preordering a Stamchild 660 version...so is the system done?
I think I saw somewhere that 2018 would be the last year that they're using the preorder system, not 100% sure though.
Old 6th November 2018
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
I think I saw somewhere that 2018 would be the last year that they're using the preorder system, not 100% sure though.
give or take a year
Old 7th November 2018
Yeah, I guess going into this, I expected it to take a while. But, I never expected it to be over a year since I placed my first order. It's been 13 months... just frustrating
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldreads View Post
Yeah, I guess going into this, I expected it to take a while. But, I never expected it to be over a year since I placed my first order. It's been 13 months... just frustrating
Took about 13 months to get my SA-73 from beginning to end, but it eventually came and I'm very happy with it. Also have an SA-2A, but bought that secondhand. If anyone's in a rush, definitely look elsewhere, but otherwise, my advice is: place a deposit and forget about it until you get the final invoice in a year or so.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

You would think that this companies business model would of changed over at
least the last year.

Stam audio is neither in a kickstarter phase but still continues to make or convince customers that to take there money
and deliver later than expected.

The products are made in Chile so there should be no shortage of cheap and educated labour.
No doubt there are satisfied customers but i wouldnt be giving my hard earned to this bad business practise.

Joshua Anaconda get your **** together .

Cheers
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

13 months is pretty unexceptable. I purchased a Sa4000 and although I like it a lot, I wouldn’t do it again. Those wait times can get pretty out of hand. I’d like a Stamchild and 2 Sa3a’s but no sir. I waited 6 months and damn near forgot about my order. Audio Scape’s SSL clone would have suited me just as well but would have been at my door 2 days after ordering it. Stam has excellent gear but the business model in reference to gear turnaround should change. There has to have been enough profit by now to invest greater into the company and manufacture the gear, take orders, ship what you have and slowly start to build stock. Clearly the quality gear Joshua’s putting out is great and I would love to continue to support but, well, you know. I happen to run a business for a living and I sell service. My accounts want results in a timely manner, no excuses.
My .02
Old 8th November 2018
for me, the problem is not how long it takes, the problem is not being forthcoming about it.

If it takes 2 years, fine, tell me that. Don't say "next week" for 2 years and never deliver on that commitment.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

I got my SA-47F in about a week, but this was an "In Stock" item. I have deposits down on 4 other items. I must say this thread is not encouraging at all.

12 months+? that's a little too much.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Some of you guys are wayyyy more patient than I am. 12 months?? 2 years is fine - as long as they tell you??? Maybe if this was 1995 but in 2018 there is a glut of killer clones and modern gear alike, innovations from companies like LTL, tons of boutique designers, 500 series, even DIY stuff.

This is insanity.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhype View Post
Some of you guys are wayyyy more patient than I am. 12 months?? 2 years is fine - as long as they tell you??? Maybe if this was 1995 but in 2018 there is a glut of killer clones and modern gear alike, innovations from companies like LTL, tons of boutique designers, 500 series, even DIY stuff.

This is insanity.
Please let me know when you find a fairchild clone for under 10k and ill jump on it and retract my statement.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

I placed an order with them 4-5 months ago and have not even had an acknowledgement email from them, Is this normal are they that busy.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
for me, the problem is not how long it takes, the problem is not being forthcoming about it.

If it takes 2 years, fine, tell me that. Don't say "next week" for 2 years and never deliver on that commitment.
if somebody told you to put down a deposit for a product that is priced very attractively, but you will have to wait at least 12 to 18 months, you would not buy that product. you are likely going to look somewhere else for a similar products that are readily available, and most of us would think and act that way.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
I placed an order with them 4-5 months ago and have not even had an acknowledgement email from them, Is this normal are they that busy.
It's standard operating procedure for Stam not to acknowledge orders. Their position is your paypal receipt doubles as your Stam receipt.

You may (or may not) receive an update on order fulfillment progress if the promised fulfillment date is missed. You may (or may not) receive a reply if you enquire about it. After receiving a final invoice, the item may (or may not) actually be ready for shipment, then you may (or may not) get a tracking number and then the item may (or may not) actually ship. The situation is fluid. It's a different business model based on placating people through heavily discounted pricing and quality builds. You may (or may not) find that acceptable.

When I was a customer, Stam seemed to primarily use the Stam user Facebook page to let people know about missed deadlines. Regardless, be assured it's "shipping next week."
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear