The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio - what's the deal?
Old 18th May 2020
din
Gear Maniac

Stam Audio

Let this be a warning to potential buyers: after two years of false promises and outright lies, I never received the products I paid for. Since so many of us have been defrauded by this company, I thought it would be helpful to have a resource thread for those of us unfortunate enough to have dealings with this company. What recourse do any of us have if he has our money and we are not in Chile? For those of us in the USA, do any consumer protection bureau's have any sway over international business?
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

I think the issues have been covered in multiple threads for at least 4 years, and if people want to continue doing business with Stam, caveat emptor and all that.

As far a US based complaints go, there is an online place to file grievances, but it won't make you whole. I'd post up the link, but the last time I did that I received a private admonition not to do it again, so Google and common sense are your friends.

Good luck!
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

2 years?

Wow...
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hey "System", what did you remove?
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Hey "System", what did you remove?
OP posted his emails to/from the fella that runs Stam.

Yeah, they were about what you would expect.

I quoted the OPs post and that post is gone as well. I commented that I was amazed that people continue to send Stam money.
Very interesting business model; their approach to customer service and publicity is also... interesting.
Hope the OP is sorted out.
Old 26th July 2020
Old 26th July 2020
Company Rep
Din, that post is basically a lie.

You should change your phrase from

"After two years of false promises and outright lies, I never received the products I paid for. Since so many of us have been defrauded by this company" to

"After two years of failed delivered deadlines and delays, I never received the product I RESERVED and decided to cancel my order for which I was REFUNDED. Since so many of us have been REFUNDED by this company I thought it would be helpful to have a resource thread to spread my hate and frustration at them to harm them in any way I can"

You really have to find something better to do with your time than trolling others.

I get it, your angry, I get it you, you feel you were misloaded and never received the unit you were expecting and feel we didn't tell you accurate dates, everything you are saying I have experienced with multiple customers (hundreds) and for that I apologize.

I don't see any of them coming in here to insult me, troll me or create threads to try to harm our business.

They wish me the best and move on with their lives, they buy pieces form another company and move on or they tell me how disappointed they are. That's all fine...

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 26th July 2020 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Not worth it.
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Great little song...

(With lyrics version)

Old 26th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup77 View Post
Great little song...

I love this song!!

Small world
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Nut

I just posted on another thread about my experience with Stam Audio:

Link Here
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Funnily, if Stam was just upfront and said that the wait time could be 2-3 years, nobody would be mad! There are companies out there that have very long wait times like this (sontec, I believe serge modular at one point too) and there isn’t this much controversy about it.
Old 28th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Funnily, if Stam was just upfront and said that the wait time could be 2-3 years, nobody would be mad! There are companies out there that have very long wait times like this (sontec, I believe serge modular at one point too) and there isn’t this much controversy about it.
I agree but ...

Do you honestly believe I think I thought it could have been 2 years instead of 6 months at the time?

You develop engineering problems along the way that make you start all over again and you have no choice but to take your time to send a perfect unit.

So how could I possibly be upfront with something I did not know at the time?

Anyways, the ADF's and ADG's are now in production as the story is over. Let's stay on topic please
Old 28th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Yes, we still have a bunch of stuff to deliver that was reserved 2 years ago, we have managed to end that on 15 products though, there only 3 left on that situation.

We refund every deposit whether they are discrete about it or come to complain on forums. It doesn't matter if you want to cancel your unit you are refunded. Period.

I am not going to deny a refund to anybody, it's not my money to keep.

Preamps in Reverb are not pre-orders.
That is why they are in reverb. I also believe I have a 5 star feedback reputation on it?

Everybody knows we funded the products with deposits. That is how Stam Audio started. It was a great business model and idea and I would do it all over again.

The business model is not the problem. It has been implemented by other companies with great success. It allows you to know how many units to make, it helps you fund the build and most importantly it saves the client a lot of money. Some clients have saved almost 4.000 dollars on my Stamchild's and thank me periodically for it.

The problem lays is not meeting the promised deadlines more than once or almost every time which I have always taken full responsibility for. Not the business model.

It will be fine soon.
With all due respect, if everyone knew pre-orders were akin to a crowd funding endeavor, I don't think you would have so many unhappy clients. You cannot just assume that "everyone" is clued into your business model.

Of course you should take responsibility for the delays, it's your company!

The bottom line is, even though I think you're missing the point of why many are pissed or dismayed...many of us want you to be successful. This is Gearslutz after all, and anyone making analog gear that's making our jobs easier or sound better, we're all in.

The Reverb sales thing, if it's indeed the fact and not fiction, that's a great direction you're heading in. Build them first, and then sell them. You'll have way less of these kinds of posts to read.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Do you honestly believe I think I thought it could have been 2 years instead of 6 months at the time?

Old 1st August 2020
Gear Nut
He should be banned. Unacceptable. I would have visited him in Chile by now. This is called a Ponzi scheme here in the US. Definitely narcissism at work. Those are just kits, not "designs". Crazy how people not knowledgeable enough to build these simple devices with ALL THE INFO available on how to do so, come right back to Gearslutz to fling their worthless opinions on SNAKE OIL PRODUCTS around, and then cover up for the guy like they have Stockholm's syndrome.

If you cannot build or service any of this stuff yourself, you are not an "expert" on audio engineering. The engineers I worked with could build and service their own. They could repair and rebuild an entire console. Wake up guys. I would expect this behavior from audiophiles. You guys are supposed to be engineers.

Nothing "sounds" that great. The artists and the instruments sound great if they are well trained and well built. These things are just tools. An engineer is not the one holding the paintbrush. You are the guys hanging the picture and installing the lighting at the museum.

Little girls and boys are supposed to act like groupies. Grown folks should act professional. I would never order from Stam, and I would never request engineering services that think that an SSL buss compressor clone is "magic".
Old 2nd August 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac 7777 View Post
He should be banned. Unacceptable. I would have visited him in Chile by now. This is called a Ponzi scheme here in the US. Definitely narcissism at work. Those are just kits, not "designs". Crazy how people not knowledgeable enough to build these simple devices with ALL THE INFO available on how to do so, come right back to Gearslutz to fling their worthless opinions on SNAKE OIL PRODUCTS around, and then cover up for the guy like they have Stockholm's syndrome.

If you cannot build or service any of this stuff yourself, you are not an "expert" on audio engineering. The engineers I worked with could build and service their own. They could repair and rebuild an entire console. Wake up guys. I would expect this behavior from audiophiles. You guys are supposed to be engineers.

Nothing "sounds" that great. The artists and the instruments sound great if they are well trained and well built. These things are just tools. An engineer is not the one holding the paintbrush. You are the guys hanging the picture and installing the lighting at the museum.

Little girls and boys are supposed to act like groupies. Grown folks should act professional. I would never order from Stam, and I would never request engineering services that think that an SSL buss compressor clone is "magic".
You are welcome to visit us anytime. Just make sure to announce it in advance so we can receive you accordingly, our address and details are listed on our website.

What a positive and lovely message during these challenging times

You are welcome to attempt building my 1176 ADF or kit as you call it. Since nobody has ever done it in half a century and probably nobody ever will attempt it I highly doubt that you can manage but if you if you do so successfully I will retire from audio engineering for good. That must quite some motivation for you since you want be banned !

Here is a nice picture of a customer we served with 32 units. Ponzi Scheme they call it.

host an image

Enjoy your weekend gents
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Here is a nice picture of a customer we served with 32 units. Ponzi Scheme they call it.
I cannot be the only one wondering how long it took for that customer to receive 32 units...
Old 2nd August 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
I cannot be the only one wondering how long it took for that customer to receive his 32 units..
You are not, I don't even know

But it's a beautiful picture, we have know delivered close to 8.500 units.

That is a lot of manual work in 6 years. All hand made with the best sonic performance we could.

Let's keep more good vibes going, my 0.2
Old 6th August 2020
Company Rep
Of course I will happily sell you a unit if we have any left but I have to serve paying customers first.

It would be not be appropriate to send you one before them after you cancelled and received a refund. Others have kept their deposit and that would not be fair to them.

If you would like to speak about your unit you can contact me directly via phone or email me at [email protected]. I understand you waited a long time thus I am happy to take that into consideration

J
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Noa ... why are you so thirsty?

You made a reservation ... you asked for your money back ... you got refunded ... you lost your place in line.

Get to the back.

I got a bunch of units from Stam, and I have a bunch more on reservation.

You don't deserve to get anything unless you wait like the rest of us.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrip View Post
Noa ... why are you so thirsty?

You made a reservation ... you asked for your money back ... you got refunded ... you lost your place in line.

Get to the back.

I got a bunch of units from Stam, and I have a bunch more on reservation.

You don't deserve to get anything unless you wait like the rest of us.
Wow.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

"reservation."
Old 11th August 2020
Company Rep
They have been shipping weekly. 7 each week. Hopefully some more reviews will pop here this week. I will not sell one of these to you.

I will gladly sell you one once paying customers have been served if I have any left and I even asked you to contact me about it but you didn't.

I already told you I will not serve you before paying customers. I don't care if you are being loud on a forum.

If you really want you can contact me, we are about to sell out and I won't be making anymore of them anytime soon. I have other work to complete which will take priority and our resources are limited.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Josh ,you've been holding my deposit for over a year now, when I've written to you
you've told me you have no money,Ive asked for my deposit back as you claim due to covid you business is not able to make the units I ordered.
Yet you are selling products on facebook and here.
You have not replied for months to my request for a refund

This is a really bad business practice
Old 11th August 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytarka View Post
Josh ,you've been holding my deposit for over a year now, when I've written to you
you've told me you have no money,Ive asked for my deposit back as you claim due to covid you business is not able to make the units I ordered.
Yet you are selling products on facebook and here.
You have not replied for months to my request for a refund

This is a really bad business practice
Hello
Pease DM your PayPal email so I can check this
I don't have any pending emails so I find this strange but I will gladly sort this out for you if you let me know
Thanks
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello
Pease DM your PayPal email so I can check this
I don't have any pending emails so I find this strange but I will gladly sort this out for you if you let me know
Thanks
Done , i’ll report back here when the issue is solved
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

I've got a Stam Audio SA87 and was pretty happy with the delivery and love the quality. Also have a ADF on order. It'll be worth any wait for sure while I continue using whatever I have currently.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytarka View Post
Done , i’ll report back here when the issue is solved
Josh has now handled this problem promptly . Communication problems apparently

thanks Josh
Old 11th August 2020
Just so everyone knows, Chile, the country where Stam Audio is located, is under strong government lockdown due to COVID. People are not allowed out of their homes and must get special permission from the authorities just to be able to go out for groceries. It’s a real mess.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
You are welcome to visit us anytime. Just make sure to announce it in advance so we can receive you accordingly, our address and details are listed on our website.

What a positive and lovely message during these challenging times

You are welcome to attempt building my 1176 ADF or kit as you call it. Since nobody has ever done it in half a century and probably nobody ever will attempt it I highly doubt that you can manage but if you if you do so successfully I will retire from audio engineering for good. That must quite some motivation for you since you want be banned !

host an image

Enjoy your weekend gents
Hey all... were on here about every evening after studio work but rarely post. I feel like I should copy paste something I posted on Fbook last week or so:

For what it’s worth for everyone waiting... the wait is real.. and so is the best reproductions out there AND at a fraction of the cost. Before we posted studio photos recently, indeed josh did not know us outside of all of us who have ordered over the years and random emails back and forth about items. We got in on every “first 100” deal the day of announcements and also acquired Stam pieces from people who bought and then sold on eBay (2x ADGs, 2x sa-76s and 2x stepped nos pultecs and one of the la2a’s). Not one disappointment in the rack. We’ve also Stams 87s, 67s, 47, and 800s mics. The real standouts in a big way are the SA-800 mics and the Stamchild is mind blowing especially considering the build, price and most importantly the sound. My partner at the studio producer Elan Morrison has done work in a majority of the top studios coast to coast and couldn’t be more pleased with what we hear thru Stam gear. The studio sat crumbling for decades and we got our hands on it a year ago. A huge thank you to Josh for the quality and pricing. This allowed us to fully restore the studio to its former glory and have a bad ass rack full of quality gear. Would have been financially unattainable were we collecting vintage pieces. Thank you again Josh and team!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear