The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio - what's the deal?
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Chile, the country where Stam Audio is located, is under strong government lockdown due to COVID.
Yep. It's been lifted for some towns now, still in the 9 countries with most COVID cases though.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hey Josh,

I’ve been trying to reach out to you for a while and haven’t heard back. Your customer service team said that you’re too busy to email me, but it looks like you’re not too busy to post on gearslutz...
Old 13th August 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorhed View Post
Hey Josh,

I’ve been trying to reach out to you for a while and haven’t heard back. Your customer service team said that you’re too busy to email me, but it looks like you’re not too busy to post on gearslutz...
They said I was too busy to email you?
Kindly send me a screenshot of that via private message if you would be so kind. I would not be happy about that. I would like to see that

Why didn't you message me directly? I certainly would have seen it faster via inbox since I don't check these threads daily.

And yes, of course I am not too busy to post on here. it's much easier to post on GS than answer 500 emails. This took me 20 seconds, the other takes me 5 days.
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Can you hire an assistant(s)? If you sell so many of your products, you should be making some pretty decent money to afford someone to help you unload and speed up things. Someone to answer emails, tracks orders statuses, provide quick updates, ship things, fetch things etc so you can focus on manufacturing, or maybe even find and train someone to build your stuff too?

Just skimming through this thread (and other threads), I see two perspectives, one is from customer point of view and one from yours, and I see where they clash.

Now don't get me wrong, some of the customers and whiny and annoying as hell, and I suspect a lot of them "color" the truth to get their points across, to put it mildly.

But also I see that you keep on taking up way more work than you can handle. So much more that your whole business model is quite a bit of a mess which makes those annoying customers hysteria and maybe some lies sort of justified.

It's ok to have growing pains for the first year or two. But from all these GS threads it's obvious you're still stuck in 3rd world country flea market level of business organization.

At this point, after so many units of everything sold (as you claim) you should've had a swiss-clock precise business model running, with everything organized, no delays, prompt and precise communication and minimal to no unhappy customers. Obviously none of that has been achieved so far.

Because instead of a professional business all I'm seeing is a pissed off, stressed hobbyist running some shady business out of his parents basement like a distressed housewife trying to cook 100 dishes for an upcoming big party.

I wish you all well as a person and as a business, and I understand your frustration and I don't blame you at all for losing temper now and then, but I feel like you're bringing it all on yourself on your own, you stretched your businesses "growing pains phase" way past reasonable time frame and kind of permanently stuck in it. People can forgive that for a short period of time, but if it keeps on going, it becomes hard to tolerate it.

So as long as you don't do anything about it, you'll get more whiny customers on GS and messy threads like this, and your reputation (already circling the drain) will only get worse to the point when at least here on GS noone will be taking you seriously. If you don't care about it (because the majority of your customers don't read GS) that's fine, just leave the forum, but if you still want to promote your products here (and I think you should) consider making some radical changes to how you run your business.
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Addict
Hey Stam, were you able to catch up on orders that were suppose to be filled from your current reported stolen items for your car back in End of July? I have just heard of this and think i am one of them.
Old 8th September 2020
The Stam Audio Experience

First, let me say, I believe most of us want to be a champion of Stam Audio and Joshua van der Stam.

That said, as of this month, I have been waiting two years for an SA67 and a SA4000 MK2 -Neve mod. Like many of you, I have had a list of unkept promises and excuses that only surface if I reach out to Stam or to Joshua. Neither Stam nor Joshua has ever initiated a dialog with me. Look, we all have to be patient and understanding but when a situation becomes unpalatable it's not the passage of time that sours the taste; it is the absence of communication and truth.

So Joshua, if you are reading this, set the persona aside and realize; we all want you to succeed. As someone who owns businesses, I know the pressure to deliver rests on you and when you take people's money, in good faith, you have to follow through responsibly and reasonably. Telling people to email you is neither. Not keeping your promise to call someone is not either. If you are reading their post or comment, they are already letting you know there is a problem. Calling people trolls and putting the responsibility back on those that have trusted and invested in you only feeds the fire of discontent.

In my experience, a company and especially the founder need to be proactive and respond with contrition. Joshua, be the stand-up guy we all want you to be. Give me and everyone else the opportunity to praise and champion Stam Audio. Otherwise, if things continue to be unmitigated, eventually people talk and some even know how to connect the dots... I can only speak for myself but I think a lot of people, in their own way, are trying to tell you the same thing. Are you ready to listen?

Last edited by MGehring; 9th September 2020 at 12:42 AM..
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGehring View Post
...Are you ready to listen?
lol. Nope.
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
lol. Nope.
...but what do you really think? Waiting also?
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Speak with your bucks by getting a refund and buying somewhere else. Otherwise, Stam has been exposed here so much that I think the only room for complaint should be not receiving a refund.

The truth: Your gear is possibly going to take years to ship. When you run out of patience, get a refund and move on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Speak with your bucks by getting a refund and buying somewhere else. Otherwise, Stam has been exposed here so much that I think the only room for complaint should be not receiving a refund.

The truth: Your gear is possibly going to take years to ship. When you run out of patience, get a refund and move on. Just my 2 cents.
You make a compelling argument but this is Gearsltz. There is always room for more complaints.
Old 11th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGehring View Post
First, let me say, I believe most of us want to be a champion of Stam Audio and Joshua van der Stam.

That said, as of this month, I have been waiting two years for an SA67 and a SA4000 MK2 -Neve mod. Like many of you, I have had a list of unkept promises and excuses that only surface if I reach out to Stam or to Joshua. Neither Stam nor Joshua has ever initiated a dialog with me. Look, we all have to be patient and understanding but when a situation becomes unpalatable it's not the passage of time that sours the taste; it is the absence of communication and truth.

So Joshua, if you are reading this, set the persona aside and realize; we all want you to succeed. As someone who owns businesses, I know the pressure to deliver rests on you and when you take people's money, in good faith, you have to follow through responsibly and reasonably. Telling people to email you is neither. Not keeping your promise to call someone is not either. If you are reading their post or comment, they are already letting you know there is a problem. Calling people trolls and putting the responsibility back on those that have trusted and invested in you only feeds the fire of discontent.

In my experience, a company and especially the founder need to be proactive and respond with contrition. Joshua, be the stand-up guy we all want you to be. Give me and everyone else the opportunity to praise and champion Stam Audio. Otherwise, if things continue to be unmitigated, eventually people talk and some even know how to connect the dots... I can only speak for myself but I think a lot of people, in their own way, are trying to tell you the same thing. Are you ready to listen?
I think the word is already out among pros. My engineer friends all know the horror stories, and one of them even gets angry just talking about it, and says he will never do business with them again. I'm just about at the two year mark waiting for an SA-4000mkII, and I gotta say, I will never go down this path again. It's a shame, because Stam really had an opportunity to do really well....now there are so many good options for clones and recreations, who really would choose to wait 2+ years?

As I've said on the SA4000 thread, most of what makes me mad is not the wait itself, it's the constant promises that they fail to meet. Just for perspective, I was originally told 8-10 weeks. It has now been more than 90 weeks. Sure, COVID happened, but that was only in the last 20 weeks, and any country that isn't providing a way for people to work safely at this point is killing their economy. I mean, how hard would it be to have people solder at home if that's what it takes?
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I've not ordered anything from Stam and am certainly not qualified to comment on the quality of their products (purely a hobbyist - and not that proficient of one). However, I do read every Stam thread, and my opinion is that the situation - as poor as it may be - would not be as bad if Joshua did not rise to the defense every time someone says a disparaging word about Stam; his behavior - IMO - only exacerbates a deteriorating customer service situation.
Old 14th September 2020
Deleted 3ded3f0
Hi, I am a bit of a Stam fanboy. As you might see from my short history here on the site.

I own the recent SA4000, the SA76-ADF and a couple of SA67s

Why do I write a post here? I see Joshua receiving much s**t which makes me want to express my experience and gratitude publicly.

1. I always get adequate answers when I email him or the team.

This helped me alot when I had yet to receive any of my orders and were just waiting.
I consider myself worse than most when it comes to patience. I can be terrible with it and might have caused Joshua a headache or ten. But he always remained professional.

2. The gear looks, feels and sounds amazing. I could not be happier with what I have.

3. The price/quality ratio is better than anything that I am concious of in this marker.

I initially had a little trouble with noise with my two mics. Joshua quickly connected me with Teo and we managed to solve it quickly. In the end the issue did mot stem from the Stam products, but my house and setup electronics.

Let this be my little drop in the water intending to balance out the negativity. Besides this Stam certainlybhas some of the most reviewed and highly rated products on this site.

Thanks Josh and the team. I am thankful.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skav View Post
Hi, I am a bit of a Stam fanboy. As you might see from my short history here on the site......

Thanks Josh and the team. I am thankful.
Sounds legit.
Old 15th September 2020
Deleted 3ded3f0
Quote:
Sounds legit.
Absolutely.

Why are you acting like that?
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Sounds legit.
Account started in July ‘20 and mostly praising stam? Totally legit.

He has an sa4000mkII while most of us don’t have one 2 years after ordering....interesting.
Old 18th September 2020
Deleted 3ded3f0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoltap View Post
Account started in July ‘20 and mostly praising stam? Totally legit.

He has an sa4000mkII while most of us don’t have one 2 years after ordering....interesting.
Totally legit.

Please present your theories and evidence.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

As someone who works with hedge funds daily, I think your description is waaaay off. Are you sure you’re not confusing this with a Ponzi scheme ?
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
As someone who works with hedge funds daily, I think your description is waaaay off. Are you sure you’re not confusing this with a Ponzi scheme ?
Which Neve Clone is closest to a Ponzi scheme?
Old 18th September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Which Neve Clone is closest to a Ponzi scheme?
Mine without a doubt.
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Mine without a doubt.
oh geez . . . that got lost in translation. Read the signature above the post.
Old 18th September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
oh geez . . . that got lost in translation. Read the signature above the post.
I did
Old 18th September 2020
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Mine without a doubt.
LMAO
at least you own up to it.

with all the amaing boutiuqe gear avaliabke why anyone would go through the torment called stam is beyound me.
Old 18th September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
LMAO
at least you own up to it.

with all the amaing boutiuqe gear avaliabke why anyone would go through the torment called stam is beyound me.
I would like to think because people are extremely happy with it and that the wait for most was worth it.
I could certainly not wait so I understand the frustration completely.

We are offering stuff that you can't buy anywhere else so maybe that's a big selling point, who knows. Each to their own
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethedrumkit View Post
I don’t think you understand either a ponzi scheme or a hedge fund.
Ponzi scheme by definition is “a fraudulent investing scam promising high rates of return with little risk to investors. The Ponzi scheme generates returns for early investors by acquiring new investors.” What I described doesn’t generate any returns for anyone but them self.
And if you do work with hedge funds managers may I suggest not doing so as that definition is “a limited partnership of investors that uses high risk methods, such as investing with borrowed money, in hopes of realizing large capital gains.” Not very intelligent. You need Ben graham in your life.
Hedge funds take many different forms of corporate structure across many different jurisdictions for different purposes that are usually aligned to the funds specific Investing strategy or ethos. In my mind there I no difference between a fidelity, Putnam, vanguarsd or a Blackrock and a hedge fund... they all take funds from investors in one shape or another as they are all essentially ‘borrowing’ from someone.

Happy to take this off line but the world has moved on since 1949 when Mr Graham started the first hedge fund.

Re:ponzi there have been many allegations that josh is running a Ponzi scheme so my comment was aligned along those lines. I don’t for. A second believe he is as i was one of the first to put cash down on a 670 but the lead time was too long I asked for a refund which was processed in a matter of days.

Ymmv
Wiggy
Old 19th September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
So wait a second. I just pointed out how someone with the same business model could generate revenue. You jump on trying to sound smarter saying I’m waaay off. Then you say Ben graham started the first hedge fund in 1949. Incorrect. And you point out that you have been a victim to stam’s broken business model. But want to make it clear you support someone who promised you a product takes your money then makes you fight to get your money back when the promise of delivering said product is not delivered? Because you got your money back in a timely manner. Wtf? Look ppl buy Stam or don’t buy Stam I don’t GAF.
Josh you can make more money in the financial sector where there are millions of ”wiggy’s” who r happy with your current business model. Hell sometime you can lose their money and they still pay you a management fee.
Ben graham was doing what we now call hedge fund management in the 1920s the first person to start a hedge fund and call it that was Alfred Winslow Jones in 1949. So your right and wrong. But most definitely blocked for being a toxic gearslut. I don’t see any value in any of your arguments with me. So your response will most definitely be petty meandering.
I am a complete ignorant when it comes to the financial sector.

I'm only modestly good with electronics and engineering so I'd rather stick to what I can do and leave that to the experts like yourself
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear
In the very very near future Amazon will distribute a competitors audio gear to your door within 1 hour of purchase. It will have a 2 year warranty. So if it breaks. Boom 1 hour a new one right at your door. Or you can buy a Stam compressor and wait 2 years. But it’s a better product. Just wait till you hear it. In 2 years.
Do u see my point? You are literally doing the exact opposite of what Jeff bezos would do.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the very very near future Amazon will distribute a competitors audio gear to your door within 1 hour of purchase. It will have a 2 year warranty. So if it breaks. Boom 1 hour a new one right at your door. Or you can buy a Stam compressor and wait 2 years. But it’s a better product. Just wait till you hear it. In 2 years.
Do u see my point? You are literally doing the exact opposite of what Jeff bezos would do.
Even better: use a plugin ! For 1/100 of the price, you can use it on as many tracks as you want and the listener cant tell the difference anyway. So why lose your time and energy ?
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
This may be true, but if you're not an impatient teenage prodigy, it may be worth it to wait more than an hour. But I'm guessing your 'future' isn't as near as you believe.
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbangwallop View Post
This may be true, but if you're not an impatient teenage prodigy, it may be worth it to wait more than an hour. But I'm guessing your 'future' isn't as near as you believe.
It’s not the gear that makes you great. It’s the music you put threw the gear. Don’t act like it’s the other way around.
Also let’s not forget Stam makes clones. So if the gear is that important then why are you being so cheap. Go buy the original. It’s better after all!
Why not invest that same money wait 10 years. Now you can afford the actual unit not some knock off. If the mindset is it’s worth the wait. Then this is the perfect solution.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear