The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Issue with Waves licensing Plugin Bundles
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It sounds like you didn’t understand how WUP works..
Can you, please, explain?
For example why different users having similar period of expiration time get different WUP prices for the same plugin?
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Guru
Honestly after the OP's rant, I feel sorry for Waves.........
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
This is what I also don't understand. Why there is even a need to give someone remote access to your machine? It appears to be a common thing nowadays. "No sir you can't fix it yourself, you need to give me access to your machine." Say what?
In my case I had a choice. They would have walked me through it, I elected to let them do it for me.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

I work with computers for a living, and I have some knowledge of security and vulnerabilities. If the situation calls for it, I am comfortable giving remote access to a vendor in order to save a long conversation of click this, type that. You are able to watch what they are doing and cancel the session at any time.
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
Really? What does changing hd do anything with Waves License?

you don't have waves plugins as everyone can see
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC View Post

you don't have waves plugins as everyone can see
I don’t understand what you mean by your statement.

By the way, I have the Horizon bundle and some individual ones that are not included in it. Also, I wuped just a few days ago.
Old 1st November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
Really? What does changing hd do anything with Waves License?
I haven't tested this but it is possible it changes the machine ID. Usually these numbers are taken from a combination of various unique identifiers in your system. That could include anything that reports a unique number to the OS. LAN interface MAC address, HD ID numbers, CPU ID number etc.

I personally have my Waves licenses on a USB drive so I have never tested what Waves do or do not use to create the machine ID they use for copy protection.

Alistair
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Just another example of why the dongle is a good thing. Contrary to all the...well...you know.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Again, waves tech support told my they use nic is ‘system id’.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Again, waves tech support told my they use nic is ‘system id’.
I doubt they use only that as many NIC's have programmable MAC adressess and such which means it wouldn't be secure. Usually a combination of part ID's are used for these type of security schemes.

Alistair
Old 1st December 2018
re Waves licensing

I got the Gold bundle, Abbey Road bundle, Element, Codex and a few other single plug-ins. I got them all on sale so I saved a ton over what they would have cost at full price. I am using V9 but there are several iterations of V9 and that can fu** everything up. If this happens to you do a drive search on your PC for waves then manually delete all the waves files. Then uninstall....then install the offline installer version I think it is 9.6. Now it is all perfect again.

For the sale prices you can get these at now I think it is a good time for a lot of young players to jump in.

To me though plug ins are only part of the equation. I stilll LOVE hardware.

MikeK
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Just another example of why the dongle is a good thing. Contrary to all the...well...you know.
Sure, one generic USB stick for Waves, one Steinberg dongle for Cubase, and an iLok, all on a keychain, with a little keychain USB hub. Great.

Oh, wait, if you put them into a hub, they're all on the same internal USB bus - which may cause issues.

Seriously, the alternative to a horrible copy protection scheme is not to look at copy protection schemes that are even more horrible, but to look at the ones that are actually better...
Old 2nd December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy_Trance View Post
I purchased Waves Diamond for $349 just about 3 1/2 years ago. When my motherboard failed, I replaced it and I was given a new Windows product key (no charge by Microsoft by the way). I wound up having to "recover" my Waves license. As it turned out, the motherboard that I bought was a lemon, so I just got a new computer, and once again I was prompted to "recover" my waves license again. Guess what Waves told me? I can only "recover" a license ONCE PER YEAR and in order to use Waves Diamond before June 14th, 2019 I have to PAY Waves $170 in order to get "covered" by Waves' "update plan". How convenient!!!!!!!!!!
I own all kinds of other software. None pull this crap. NONE!

So just beware that the software you buy from Waves may be basically a "teaser" just to later drop the bomb on you later.
And what have you learned?

1. Read the directions.
2. Follow the directions.

Moral of the story, move your licenses to the appropriate place before you do anything, especially the second time around.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Sure, one generic USB stick for Waves, one Steinberg dongle for Cubase, and an iLok, all on a keychain, with a little keychain USB hub. Great.

Oh, wait, if you put them into a hub, they're all on the same internal USB bus - which may cause issues.

Seriously, the alternative to a horrible copy protection scheme is not to look at copy protection schemes that are even more horrible, but to look at the ones that are actually better...
Alternative? Which, of the hundreds? I guess you have a spreadsheet with manufacturer, serial number, activation code, website, login name, password...for all of your plugs? Oh! Hope that's backed up. Some people are just, you know, normal. Living a life. Things come and go, physically and mentally. Either you have 'perfect' organizational skills, or only a few plugs. I bow to your excellence.
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Alternative? Which, of the hundreds? I guess you have a spreadsheet with manufacturer, serial number, activation code, website, login name, password...for all of your plugs? Oh! Hope that's backed up. Some people are just, you know, normal. Living a life. Things come and go, physically and mentally. Either you have 'perfect' organizational skills, or only a few plugs. I bow to your excellence.
I was referring to actually good, modern copy protection schemes, like the ones in Logic or MainStage. If I want to install either of those on a new computer, I download and install - no need for serial numbers, authorisation apps, dongles, or any other cumbersome, outdated tech.

Not sure what the snark is all about, isn't it quite common to have plug-ins from different manufacturers with different, less-than-ideal copy protection schemes?

When there's a choice to buy a good compressor from a company with an awkward copy protection scheme, vs. a similar compressor from, say, Klanghelm, guess which one will see my money?
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shire View Post
Moral of the story, move your licenses to the appropriate place before you do anything, especially the second time around.
Moral of the story, buy software where you don't have to worry about moving licenses around...
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Not sure what the snark is all about, isn't it quite common to have plug-ins from different manufacturers with different, less-than-ideal copy protection schemes?
I apologize. It was uncalled for...still loving my dongle though (Ew. That sounds...uh...never mind)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I just now catching up to this... over the years I have almost every waves plugin. I am officially done with waves.. Their biz model is insane.. thus customer retention has to be low. If I could have a do over easy solution.. all UAD plugs or any company that does not require an ilok or license moves. With UAD u pay a little more up front but you save months of time dealing with the license moves and WUP updates yadi yada.
Too bad their biz model is not modeled after their plugins, which are usable.

Horrific experience with their waves and time lose.. i'm done with this company and all of their products..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy_Trance View Post
I purchased Waves Diamond for $349 just about 3 1/2 years ago. When my motherboard failed, I replaced it and I was given a new Windows product key (no charge by Microsoft by the way). I wound up having to "recover" my Waves license. As it turned out, the motherboard that I bought was a lemon, so I just got a new computer, and once again I was prompted to "recover" my waves license again. Guess what Waves told me? I can only "recover" a license ONCE PER YEAR and in order to use Waves Diamond before June 14th, 2019 I have to PAY Waves $170 in order to get "covered" by Waves' "update plan". How convenient!!!!!!!!!!
I own all kinds of other software. None pull this crap. NONE!

So just beware that the software you buy from Waves may be basically a "teaser" just to later drop the bomb on you later.
Next time make sure the new motherboard doesn't let you install your plugins before you notice it's not working.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyacier View Post
Waves is a crap company
I'm leaning towards crap users that suck at computers and want to grow up to be engineers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Wait a sec... why can’t you just use Waves central to move all of your licenses to the cloud and then run it again to transfer them back to the new computer? It should be as simple as just plugging in the hd from the old computer into the new one...
Stop making sense, people around here are trying to whine and complain about operator errors that they aren't trying to blame on their lack of following instructions. Don't forget the lack of common sense.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
Garbage company. Will never see another dime from me. Dinosaur policies that just don't cut it with today's competition. They need new management to take them in a new direction.
Look mom another person that doesn't understand how WUP really works.

And doesn't really know what the "update all plugins" button does.

Oh yeah don't forget that they don't have time to read the system requirements for their operating system either.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stop making sense, people around here are trying to whine and complain about operator errors that they aren't trying to blame on their lack of following instructions. Don't forget the lack of common sense.
Of course you are correct, sir.

My bad
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Look mom another person that doesn't understand how WUP really works.

And doesn't really know what the "update all plugins" button does.

Oh yeah don't forget that they don't have time to read the system requirements for their operating system either.
Not one dime. And you....say Hi to your mom for me. Keep up the good fight Waves lover
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm leaning towards crap users that suck at computers and want to grow up to be engineers.
Really? But you don’t know me.

I’ve been building computers since the 90s. My first website was built in 1996. I’ve been doing digital Audio since CoolEditPro was around and Cubase didn’t have audio.

I just find waves tedious and a pain.

My UAD, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Izotope all install and work flawlessly.

I still can’t get my Waves CLA or API to work. It has something to do with which version of Waves I bought it with and now I need to pay hundreds of USD to use it with their latest version. Total rip-off.

It’s like UAD releasing a UAD 10 and you have to pay them to use your plugs. Then you try to intall UAD 9 and they still don’t work.

UAD releases new versions of older plugs that you can buy if you want to. But they don’t make your original plugs incompatible.

Doesn’t matter. I just use the other ones that I listed. I don’t care at this point.

It was just a heads up to potential buyers because Waves is really crappy.

Same situation with my Duende Classic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lets say you go to the hardware store to get a hammer. One is on sale from $900 to $19. The other one is on sale from $24 to $19. They appear to be of equal quality--which one is better deal? This is how I see the historical prices of waves products still being touted as 'retail price'. Things get cheaper with computer technology. I recall buying 8 MEG of ram for $350 dollars in the 80s.

There are lots of good plugs on the market today--not like 20 years ago when waves was the clear market leader, and sort of the only player in the 'pro' market. When your monitor had lower resolution and the waves gold guis filled the screen--they are same size today, monitors have increased resolution.

WUP is not hard to understand, just sign on to waves web site, log in so they know what you have purchased, and select the wup product, and it shows a price. Ok, I show owning 7 products. 6 single plugs and one gold. My wup quote is $226.10. It exceeds the so called $225 cap for some reason--who cares. Estimating that the 6 individual items were purchased on those sales for $30 each, and $100 for waves gold, that is original cost of $280. Pretty easy to see why Waves likes wup. Now if we go by the stated, but rarely sold for, retail prices, its probably thousands and then the wup doesn't look so bad. Same dynamic where the license transfer fee percent is based on the mythical 'retail price' of the products, so not economical to sell stuff you bought at rock bottom sale price.

Imagine the sick feeling in the stomach of someone who goes on sweetewater and buys gold for $600 or whatever it is now, and a month later sees it on sale for $100. Ouch!

If I only owned waves plugs, MIGHT be worth it--or worth it to sit on what I have already--its new enough. But since I have some sort of izotope monster pack and the NI plugs, and those that come with cubase pro, I have more plugs than I can get my mind around not even counting waves.

Not a waves hater, as I said earlier, if one has no third party plugs and wants a great cheap fully featured set, hybrid bundle for $100 is a great way to go--wonder what wup is on that one.

Last edited by ponzi; 2 weeks ago at 12:06 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FYI only-- when is a cap not a cap? Official note from waves on why my wup (quote) exceeded $225:

Why does my Waves Update Plan cost more than $225?

Once you confirm that you use all selected products on one computer at a time, all your non-overlapping Waves products (e.g. Platinum & SSL or Gold & Restoration, etc.) are capped at $225 per account per year.

If you choose to extend your Waves Update Plan for multiple products, the Waves Update Plan for all selected products will be extended by one year from the coverage end date of the product with the latest coverage end date.

This may cause other selected products to be extended by more than one year. Since the coverage costs $225 per year, Waves Update Plan fees will be higher than $225.

This may be easier to understand using an example. Let’s assume that today is March 1st, 2017.

Say you own two products: Diamond (current Waves Update Plan end date: September 2017), and SSL 4000 Collection (current Waves Update Plan end date: March 2017).

When extending Waves Update Plan for both of them, the new end date for both would be September 2018, which is a year from the product with the latest end date (Diamond, in this case.)

While Diamond coverage is extended by exactly one year, SSL coverage is extended by 1.5 years (from March 2017 to September 2018.)

In this case, we add the cost of 6 months of Waves Update Plan coverage for SSL 4000 Collection to the $225 cap.
Old 1 week ago
All this complaining about $225? That’s less than I spend on booze every month!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search