The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't buy Presonus speakers - Presonus support even worse
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

Don't buy Presonus speakers - Presonus support even worse

They're horrible.
They fail.
Their support is horrible.
It costs you the consumer money to send them in for repair.

I'm on my THIRD set of Presonus Eris E8's. One smoked, burned, and stunk. Another rattled like crazy. Two more each had failed tweeters. Just last week my 38 day old Temblor T10 sub died.

I opened a support ticket last THURSDAY. It's now about close of business on MONDAY and I still don't have an RMA #. What's infuriating is when you take the time to write out a support ticket and explain the steps you have taken and supplied ALL NECESSARY information and they still respond with a copy and paste response asking me to check cables, and power, and the gain knob. If they had read my initial ticket it was clear those steps were unnecessary due to the nature of the failure. Maybe tomorrow I can send them off? It's a ridiculous support system, slow, useless, and generally just obstructing the process.

When they finally maybe decide to grace me with an RMA I get to pay money out of my pocket to ship the thing in for repair.

Also before anyone says, maybe it's my fault this is happening I have taken every step to ensure I run them at conservative levels, turn them off when not in use, and I even purchased a dedicated 1U hardware limiter to protect them. It doesn't matter. The speakers are ****.

DON'T BUY PRESONUS SPEAKERS. In fact don't buy anything PResonus because even though my experience with their mixers and interfaces has been acceptable every single time I attempt to use their support I am faced with barriers, hoops, un-response, inattention, delays, red tape, and general bull****.

Never again PResonus. I think once everything is working, mixer, interface, speakers, and sub I'll sell the whole mess to some unsuspecting fool.

I'm done.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

To be clear it's not the 4 days (about to be 5 in about 30 minutes).

So it takes a week to get an RMA number. Then it takes another couple days to ship it after I pay for it. Then they take another 2-4 weeks to process it. That's well over a month just to do a warranty replacement/repair.

This will be the FOURTH TIME to do this this year between my monitors and sub. That means I've had them in limbo for warranty replacement or repair almost as much as they have worked.

Someone explain to me how that's getting my money's worth.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhiley View Post
Someone explain to me how that's getting my money's worth.
If you're honestly looking for an explanation, I can't give you one.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head

Wow, so they send you a repair form AFTER THE ENTIRE SUPPORT process.

They actually expect you to enter your credit card, billing address, and CCV number on a a .rtf document to get a RMA number. :o

I refused. It's a warranty repair anyhow so they should need no payment.

I was just floored that their actual process is to store credit card numbers in unsecure .rtf documents. That's just plain bad.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict
I have a presonus subwoofer, and I am pleased. So......

I also have a pair of Mackie HR624 MkII for my monitors, which got a ton of negative reviews for failing. Both are solid though, QC is never a guarantee for mid to budget level equipment.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Head

WOW.

As a last resort before I unhooked it to ship away I started flipping the ground lift switch and the phase reverse switch a few times. It started working. I might've heard a click inside from the amplifier or if I might've just heard the click of the switches. It's unclear which switch did it but one of them made it work immediately.

Their support still sucks. I told them so again.

These switches in any position should allow the sub to operate. Even more baffling is that powering the thing up and down numerous times over the past 3 days made no difference. I had to toggle those switches.

Another RIDICULOUS thing is they expect you to enter your credit card number, expiration date, CCV security code, and billing address on a .RTF document to submit to get an RMA number. Yes that's right a company this large chooses to store unsecured documents with their customer's billing information in the most insecure format known to man. A text document. Shame on you Presonus. To make it even more pathetic you have to re-hash ALL THE INFORMATION you did in the original ticket on the stupid form. Presonus has about the ****tiest warranty replacement procedure I have ever seen EVER.

I dunno about you guys but I'd NEVER enter my card information into something like this. Just pitiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't buy Presonus speakers - Presonus support even worse-screen-shot-2018-10-23-12.07.36-am.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Bargain City

Im a proud owner of their small Eris monitors. Best $100 I've spent in awhile. Thanks Presonus. You're undoubtedly fantastic!
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
WOW.

As a last resort before I unhooked it to ship away I started flipping the ground lift switch and the phase reverse switch a few times. It started working. I might've heard a click inside from the amplifier or if I might've just heard the click of the switches. It's unclear which switch did it but one of them made it work immediately.

Their support still sucks. I told them so again.

These switches in any position should allow the sub to operate. Even more baffling is that powering the thing up and down numerous times over the past 3 days made no difference. I had to toggle those switches.

Another RIDICULOUS thing is they expect you to enter your credit card number, expiration date, CCV security code, and billing address on a .RTF document to submit to get an RMA number. Yes that's right a company this large chooses to store unsecured documents with their customer's billing information in the most insecure format known to man. A text document. Shame on you Presonus. To make it even more pathetic you have to re-hash ALL THE INFORMATION you did in the original ticket on the stupid form. Presonus has about the ****tiest warranty replacement procedure I have ever seen EVER.

I dunno about you guys but I'd NEVER enter my card information into something like this. Just pitiful.
Did you try asking to speak to their manager?
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

What you have pointed out is sadly typical of modern customer service for anything electronic. I spent more than 20 years in electronic service, and my dad was a radio and TV engineer all his life. It seems that sometime in the 90s the Harvard Business School types started on this “post-sale customer service is a cost center” crap, and, according to their MBA training, cost centers are to be eliminated.

I remember in my business (medical diagnostic equipment) we got a lecture around 95 about the great “new service paradigm.” Essentially they thought that the entire skill of a field engineer could be reduced to a flowchart that would allow an unskilled call center employee to “diagnose” the problem. Then the equipment would all be modularized so it was interchangeable. Problem solved! An operator diagnoses your problem module from the flowchart,and the replaceable module is sent to the customer to fit in the instrument. We really don’t need those expensive skilled engineers to keep things running.

There results of a beta test of this system were quite disastrous in my business, and it was abandoned. However it did become the new mode of customer service in general electronics. Unless you kick up a holy fuss, you will never get to speak to anyone that is actually competent to diagnose your problem. If you do things properly and explain all your pre-call troubleshooting, it will be ignored because the flowchart starts at “is it plugged in.”

Often, the only place to get real help is on user forums where some helpful unpaid person will do the support work the manufacturer won’t do.
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Head
Sorry about your experience,

I own a few Presonus hardware (Sceptre S8, R65, faderport 8 then 16) and everything is working flawlessly. Never had a single issue for the last 2 years.

Unfortunately what you are describing is quite common from customer support especially from companies who are selling cheap equipment (more customers, more unexperienced customers, longer response time etc...)

Entering a credit card number is also part of the process for many companies when requesting an RMA. It costs time to check and troubleshoot a product and from my experience, the problem comes many times from the user and not really the gear (damages, doesn't read the instructions etc...) A customer Support needs to make sure the user is willing to pay if the problem is not part of the warranty policy.

Imo, Presonus is a pretty solid company and their last range of products are very good for the price.

It's indeed a good idea to escalate to a manager when you're not happy with the service. Good luck!
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

May I suggest using an UPS unit? There are strange coincidences going on and it makes no sense. Sure, Presonus is not high end, but haven't heard of anything like this with any brand of speakers, consumer grade included. Something is wrong at your own place.
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

So changes to the ground lift brought it back to life?

Have you had the electrics checked in that studio for grounding issues? Does it have a dedicated spike to earth?

If it was tripping out due to a wiring issue, it would explain all the failures and the constant issues you've experienced.

I'll also mirror the other comments, as whilst I've never had to deal with their support, I do know what our own failure rates are like and you've had more failures there than we've had in 3 years of selling Eris speakers.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I have Sceptres S8 , no problems and they sound very good.
Old 28th October 2018
Sorry to hear about the problems you’re experiencing. I have power issues in my place but my Tremblor has been on every day since I’ve had it, maybe 2 years now but no problems yet. Hope I never have to use their repair service. Maybe I will just use that opportunity to upgrade to a higher end sub. Agree they should not be storing cc info that way.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Never was a big fan I had a firestudio go funny on me odd noises. Presonus would charge me the same as a new unit to fix it. I opened it up to find a cheap build quality. Yes cheap but I never had issues with my Focusrite. Anyway I went to RME and didn't look back. I've had better stuff from Behringer if I'm honest.
Old 29th October 2018
I have the Presonus Sceptre S8's and the Temblor T10 and they sound great. I've had them for many years and they are still kickin' strong.
Old 29th October 2018
I used to own a piece of Presonus gear (a two channel microphone preamp). I had to send it in for repair (cracking on the inputs) and I had to pay freight to them and then they returned it after the repair postage paid. The whole process took about two weeks and the repair was done under warranty. They could not have been nicer about the whole process and it was quick and they did the repair for free. This was about 10 years ago so maybe things have changed. Shortly after the repair I sold the unit on Ebay so I don't know if the repair held. Suggest talking to customer service and ask to speak to a manager. Best of luck!
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosajjao View Post
I have a presonus subwoofer, and I am pleased. So......

I also have a pair of Mackie HR624 MkII for my monitors, which got a ton of negative reviews for failing. Both are solid though, QC is never a guarantee for mid to budget level equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
Im a proud owner of their small Eris monitors. Best $100 I've spent in awhile. Thanks Presonus. You're undoubtedly fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrance View Post
I have Sceptres S8 , no problems and they sound very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I have the Presonus Sceptre S8's and the Temblor T10 and they sound great. I've had them for many years and they are still kickin' strong.

Wow... These are some seriously crappy and quite frankly annoying responses to a guy clearly having an absolute nightmare... Has anybody read his messages properly?? Or do you guys work for presonus ?? He is not talking much about the quality of the product but the customer service, or lack of, he is receiving from presonus.

As some one who is new to this scene, and had the Presonus Eris E5 for about a week.. While I am absolutely THRILLED with them, and about to add the Temblor T10 - this is a major concern, as things go wrong... customer service is important, VERY important to me.

I feel for you cwhiley, I hoe very much you managed to get this sorted, if I was in your position, I would be STEAMING also.

All the best mate.
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigness View Post
Wow... These are some seriously crappy and quite frankly annoying responses to a guy clearly having an absolute nightmare... Has anybody read his messages properly?? Or do you guys work for presonus ?? He is not talking much about the quality of the product but the customer service, or lack of, he is receiving from presonus.

As some one who is new to this scene, and had the Presonus Eris E5 for about a week.. While I am absolutely THRILLED with them, and about to add the Temblor T10 - this is a major concern, as things go wrong... customer service is important, VERY important to me.

I feel for you cwhiley, I hoe very much you managed to get this sorted, if I was in your position, I would be STEAMING also.

All the best mate.
I have never had a problem with Presonus tech support. Others have. All this transpired in October of 2018. FWIW.
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have never had a problem with Presonus tech support. Others have. All this transpired in October of 2018. FWIW.
Yes, very recently. I was just about to buy the Temblor T10 so naturally, it's a worry.

He was very descript and clear in the treatment and responses he got from Presonus, it's a ittle difficult to believe there is another miraculous side to this story.... His emotional tone is VERY understandable.

We are all consumers (supposedly...) we should have each others backs, good service and good quality for what we pay should be expected.
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear

,,, Presonus is a fine company, and the products are great as you know. Buy your T10 and rest easy knowing it's gonna work great. Presonus stands behind their products very well.

38 weeks he went through 3 sets of Eris 8 speakers... then toasted the T10 ?

The first thing anyone should think is how is he using them...
So, I looked to find how he is using them.
He writes with synths, analog,,, after going through some of his vids, creating on the fly like he does and likely ave 100db plus ave. SPL...
Some frequencies would build way above his ave SPL

Here's one of his vids, youtube,

Could be just me, but I think he should use the studio monitors for mixing, after he gain stages the tracks... Maybe live gear for his style of creating / tracking, if he is actually tracking. I don't see a tape machine or DAW open,,, so makes me think he is using little to no reference on levels,,, hitting the speakers...

One feedback issue, could blow all his speakers,,, Is he using the LImiter correctly to protect, instead of limit ?

I just use presonus products, a fanboy maybe lol, not an employee...
Just my thought and opinion, because they are good speakers, and a reputable class A company. Which is why this kind of thing is not widely posted on the internet concerning Presonus,,,
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
Some amount of faults are to be expected with anything mass produced. But three consecutive hardware failures with the same make of speakers is unusually high.

Are you sure you’re not feeding them far too loud? Most budget near-fields are designed to be played at moderate levels, dont use them like loud speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
CCV number on a a .rtf document
Just NO!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One of my Sceptre S8s shipped with a cone issue (strong buzzing distortion sound) and it was Not Fun forcing Presonus to pick up the tab as it was a direct B-stock sale. Fortunately after it was repaired and returned (I forget how long, maybe 6 weeks start to finish) I haven't had issues since.
Old 1 week ago
My Sceptres are alive and still kicking strong. Never had a problem with them.
Old 1 week ago
Sent my Temblor 10 in for service a few weeks ago. Had it for 3 years then it started having intermittent pops once a day and it popped hard through my mains. Paid the bench fee and shipping (just under $200 all together) and everything went smooth and fast. Sucks to have to pay that but after getting 3 years of use out of it, feels like a small expense in the grand scheme of things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search