The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Record Promoter Who Does... What?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Record Promoter Who Does... What?

So I got this email from a deejay (in the old sense), saying she had this internet radio show she wanted to play one of my songs on. I said, "sure."

Then I got an email from her saying "the phones lit up before the song was even over," which was interesting given that the show's not streamed live and they don't have any phones.

Then I got an email from her asking if she could include my song in a monthly CD of 12-16 songs she sends to over 150 over-the-air radio stations worldwide. I said, "sure."

Then I got an email asking for $150, because duplication and international postage are so darn expensive. I asked for the list of stations and a copy of one of the previous CD's, which I offered to pay for.

Then I got an email that had the list of stations but a no on the CD because she didn't have permission from the artists on it to hand out their material.

Then I started Googling the stations on the list. Most of them don't exist. A few do, so I sent them inquiring emails. I got a couple emails back and neither of the folks at these stations had heard of this woman or her company.

On the low side, 12 songs X 12 months X $150 = $21,600 per year.

The gal's got balls, I'll give her that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Talk about scamming...

Got a call from JT (no not that JT) he had a "Wonderful" opportunity for me. I would go on the road and record "all" his artist "live in concert". For that opportunity I would be paid the "princely" sum of $200 a day. I would have to cover my own travel expenses out of that money. I thought this guy was not really with it so I asked for a listing of the concerts and the dates and places. He sent me a two page list. The concerts were all over the Southern part of the US and they were in different cities and states and were one day apart. So the first concert was in Augusta, Georgia on Monday and on Tuesday the concert was in Nashville and on Wednesday in New Orleans. Who ever took the job would be driving all over the Southern part of the United States and would probably have to live in their car as they would have to be driving all the time. I told him I was not interested and that I was primarily a mastering engineer. "Oh" he says, well I have a lot of artists that need mastering so I would be happy to send them to you. You charge them $65.00 per hour and you send me $40.00 per hour. I told him I was not interested. He said "it is the chance of a life time" I still said no. A few years later he again contacted me about doing his recordings, I guess he forgot I had already turned him down earlier. What a mooch... FWIW
Old 1 week ago
For a while I was getting a bunch of these on several of my music pages...

The first time -- just to make sure -- I checked the call sign. That one was a real station -- in a totally different location and 'inappropriate' genre... after more exploring I figured out these were 'Internet stations' that had simply appropriated various call letters without authorization. Eventually, there was a news report about the scam (the vid bitly-linked below is gone, now, unfortunately)...

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
For a while I was getting a bunch of these on several of my music pages...
Yep, I've seen those too.

And then there's Ed Tyll

He'll be happy to "syndicate" your internet radio show or podcast on dozens of imaginary radio stations. For a fee, of course.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yep, I've seen those too.

And then there's Ed Tyll

He'll be happy to "syndicate" your internet radio show or podcast on dozens of imaginary radio stations. For a fee, of course.
Man, that cat's got me well-edged on adjectives...

"Irreverent, sarcastic, edgy, avant-garde, acerbic, offbeat, and, someone apparently said, 'Outrageously hilarious.'"

Not even the Bard of Bitterness, Denial & Regret can beat that. Damn.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Man, that cat's got me well-edged on adjectives...
I'd add slimy, underhanded, weasely and thievin.'
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I'd add slimy, underhanded, weasely and thievin.'
Hey, I know you know me better than a lot of folks around here do but...

... Oh, wait. You mean Ed Tyll!

At least, I hope you do...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
At least, I hope you do...
I do.
Old 1 week ago
I was gonna say... most folks manage to get conniving, supercilious, and snide in there when talking about me...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Just got this from that same woman I was talking about in the first post...

Played XXX this week and we were swamped with calls requesting it before I even finished the show lol. As far as the stations the I work with--comments have been filtering in since yesterday and they're all overwhelmingly positive. So you definitely have them lining up to play you if you're interested in getting to those extra 2000+ stations.

And all it'll cost me is a measly hunnert 'n' fifty smackeroos. Damn near free.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
... and we were swamped with calls requesting it before I even finished .....
Calls requesting it while it was playing? I do admit that one of my quirky habits when I was a child was lifting the needle off the record and re-starting the song over again before it even finished, I loved it so much... I wonder if she claimed it was me calling...?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Calls requesting it while it was playing?
Right. And it's a podcast. As in, you play it when you want to. There's no live show.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Just got this from that same woman I was talking about in the first post...

Played XXX this week and we were swamped with calls requesting it before I even finished the show lol. As far as the stations the I work with--comments have been filtering in since yesterday and they're all overwhelmingly positive. So you definitely have them lining up to play you if you're interested in getting to those extra 2000+ stations.

And all it'll cost me is a measly hunnert 'n' fifty smackeroos. Damn near free.
I’m pretty sure even mainstream radio over here isn’t “swamped with calls” for any given artist - maybe Nova with an exclusive premiere of Beyoncé’s new track or something. But certainly not your average new artist.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I’m pretty sure even mainstream radio over here isn’t “swamped with calls” for any given artist...
Right -- point being that this whole thing is entirely imaginary. I'm not naming names because there may be some teeny tiny bit of truth and legitimacy in there somewhere... oh, who am I kidding. Of course there's not. This woman is a liar and a thief and the only reason I'm not naming her is that she didn't manage to rip me off personally.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
... she didn't manage to rip me off personally.
This is no time to lose faith! Was she wearing sleeves... maybe with a few tricks up them?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
This is no time to lose faith! Was she wearing sleeves... maybe with a few tricks up them?
She might have been dealing off the bottom of the duck. Some folks are down with that, but I find it's mostly not what it's quacked up to be.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
She might have been dealing off the bottom of the duck. Some folks are down with that, but I find it's mostly not what it's quacked up to be.
Ahh, the Quackin' Shuffle... that was the fate of the AFLAC voice when he made insensitive remarks...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search