The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential has a new synth coming!
Old 28th October 2018
M32
Lives for gear
What do you guys think, will the new synth be a poly? I've been saving for something new, but the Moog One is out of my budget range, and the PX hasn't convinced me enough. Sample implementation seems a bit limited without timestretching and the clicking noises, and i don't feel like being dependent on 8dio and their horrible taste.

My first thought was to buy a REV2 since i want something with plenty of voices and a deep engine, but i'm not overly keen on the curtis filter. I had a P12, and loved it's modulation/routing hybrid capabilities, but as soon as i increased the resonance it sounded to synthy and cold. Is the voicing of the REV2 a bit better? i imagine with improved gainstaging the Curtis Filter can sound better. I quite liked the surgical, clean character on a poly, sits well with big fat analog mono's and my warm fizzy OB6.

In their current set of instruments, a new monosynth, perhaps with the OB6 filter, VCO, but with plenty of modulation seems the best fit. Or maybe a duophonic one with a stereo input?

But i'd really like a polysynth for my setup, a nextgen P12 offspring from the X would be an instabuy for me. I'm just not sure i can hold of the GAS till spring NAMM.

I could buy a rev2 to get me through the winter
Old 28th October 2018
Lives for gear

I think Dave & Co, should do their version of the Moog One and The River, a new analog mega flagship, with more upward slant on the panel, a brand new Fatar poly-AT, 76-key (TP-PAT-76), quad timbral, 16 VCO vintage-voiced Prophet-8/OB-8 amalgam synth and expanded mod matrix plus mix and per voice insert fx engine (Lexicon?) with per voice mix controls and 8 bi timbral LFO’s, 8-voice and cv sub outs, stereo external inputs, stereo analog quad-filter array and quad master outs, the master stereo pair with analog bus inserts.

Call it The Dueling (or Dual) Prophets or The Ober Prophet Synergy 88.

A synth renaissance highlight and instant classic.
Old 28th October 2018
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

The “new synth” rumored from the top of the thread was clearly the Prophet XL, but of course there’s always the next synth. Historically, hasn’t a new synth shown up from Dave almost every year? So there could well be something in the works for 2019 but there’s no guarantee it would see a NAMM debut (and lots of reasons to suspect Dave Smith doesn’t think it’s necessary to use a trade show to announce it.) Would it be a poly? I’d suspect so given the majority of his past work is. For a “mono” synth with an interesting discrete filter design there’s already the paraphonic Pro 2 which I was quite taken with when I had a little hands-on time. The oscillators in it are DSP-based which may put some off, but Dave seems convinced the magic of analog filters is irreplaceable while digital oscillators are utterly viable.

So I’d guess poly ... or drum.
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

How on the internets did this thread end up in The Moan Zone?
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ADSR_ View Post
You should notify the mods as it appears someone has stolen 95% of your post.

even funnier is the fact you think it bothers me, I actually told them I was fine with a thread ban and post deletes (have had it plenty of times) , shows me the level of many posters around here though who literally live to poke and find fun in such trivial matters.

I had no further interest in that stupid thread or that stupid synth. And if people EVER stop hounding me like no lifers then there would be no trouble from me either.

Good to see people put inanimate objects higher on the priority chart than their fellow humans. What a place. Lol indeed.

Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

^^^^ I was fine with a thread ban and post deletes (have had it plenty of times) , shows me the level of many posters around here ^^^^

Inverted logic alert
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

If this thread is in the moan zone, shouldn’t all Bapor wear synth threads be as well?
Old 3rd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
If this thread is in the moan zone, shouldn’t all Bapor wear synth threads be as well?
Too much moaning probably.
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Addict

I hope for (but don't expect) a new Prophet 6 sounding synth with 61 keys, more voices and a nice screen like the Deepmind that shows you the shape of your envelopes and stuff like that. And a better system for patch selection/saving.
Old 30th November 2018
Deleted 859c1b8
By this logic, should not the entire Electronics Music and Production
be a subsection of the MOAN ZONE???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Too much moaning probably.
Old 2nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Sure seems that way at times.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

that just has to be a band name......

The Moan Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
that just has to be a band name......

The Moan Zone
Been watching the ReMoaners all day
Old 11th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Been watching the ReMoaners all day
LOL!
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

With pro12 going out of production I have a feeling a replacement will surface at NAMM. Half a decade ago he said P12 was is greatest synth ever, I bet he beats it at NAMM.

However, what I want most of all is a Tempest X!
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
With pro12 going out of production I have a feeling a replacement will surface at NAMM. Half a decade ago he said P12 was is greatest synth ever, I bet he beats it at NAMM.
The new Prophet 12 for 2019:

61 key Fatar keyboard 12 voice synthesizer, made up of two Prophet 6's. With VCO's, all analog signal path. Multiple modulation features, including delayed vibrato. Ability to layer and split. Prophet 6 and OB6 filters.

(I'm sure that's not what they will be doing, but I would want that!)
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Prophet 7

Next to 5 and 6 will be 7.
Prophet 7.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Funny how people still can't understand the superiority of digital drift emulation over naturally out of tune oscillators.

Seems logical/legit to me.

But I have never heard of a double-blind experiment with similar filters, and just swapping the oscillators. Would be interesting.

It's kinda hard to predict what they will create next, without knowing the sales curves.

I sort of believe they will go head to head with something like novation summit and PEAK.

Sequential will sell the new synth just based on looks and image alone. Based on these forums, if you kept the same DSP tone generators and swapped the filter, they would sell ****loads of their new Prophet 13.

The problem here is the Pro 2. A new poly version of the Pro 2, means that the only reason for getting one, must be a lower price. That makes the new synth a little bit harder to predict.

So yeah, I am excited to find out what kind of oscillators and filters they will be using. My guess is, this time around, there will be more digital oscillators specifically tailored towards emulating analog sound, and some new palette of filters to choose from, paired with a more immediate, knob-per-function modulation system that sets the synth apart from more menu-diving workstations and huge synths like the waldorf quantum and montage. I predict that will be the spot they are gonna occupy.

They will not have an excess of features not already tried, as that is both risky and expensive. So my bet is an upgrade of P12 that is better at emulating analogue tone, combined with more interesting filters. Sorry, analog purists, it's not gonna be this time around...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search