The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where do all these commercials come from in Youtube video's?
Old 23rd August 2018
Deleted b598644
Where do all these commercials come from in Youtube video's?

As someone with a passion for music and synthesizers, I often browse and watch youtube video's for mostly music and synthesizer related video's like reviews, performances and demo's etc. on my TV.

But I noticed that in the last couple of years, the amount of commercials on Youtube video's is becoming higher and it is very annoying.
It mostly began with a commercial at the start of a video but now there are commercials at the start, and even more and more during a video, as well as at the end or in between 2 video's.
Maybe a stupid question but who is putting those in? Is it Youtube themselves or the uploader? Or the advertisers?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Gotta be youtube. Making that scrill.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

My understanding is that as the video uploader/owner, you can choose to have ads inserted and then you get a cut of the revenue. I think YouTube has a bar to clear (# of videos, # of views, etc.) before you’re eligible though.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

**** ain't free, bro.
Old 23rd August 2018
In the beginning of the year, youtube changed the requirements for the partner program. Now you have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours played a year, to have any control over the commercials. At which point you get a fair amount of control over what and when, and get paid a percentage based on views, clicks etc.
It is my impression, that after closing off the partner program for the bulk of users, they changed the base setting. So if you haven't opted in, or don't clear the requirements, they add commercials to your videos as standard, but don't pay you. Where as previously there were only commercials if the user chose to, and got paid.
Could be wrong though, but I've noticed them cropping up on videos, where the poster doesn't have the required amount of subscribers, so smells a bit fishy to me.
Old 23rd August 2018
Deleted b598644
Maybe I just don't get the whole commercial-industry, everyone hates commercials and I reckon nobody is influenced by them, not only on youtube but also on radio, internet and TV. It is just very annoying on any medium, but still, it exists
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Maniac

Hey BassX, if you install browser add-ons like UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger you will never have to see a youtube ad again.

You can even set them to disable when you come to Gearslutz so you can support sites you like that only run non-intrusive advertisements!
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

uhhhh... uBlock Origin my friend
just don't block gearslutz :P
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Maniac
I browse youtube without any ads

Firefox + adblock
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

I have to say, Gearslutz is the ONLY site where I pay attention to the ads. Not quite sure what that says about me...
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Head

I’m influenced by them. I 100% guarantee I will never buy a Kit-Kat again in my life because I’ve had synth videos cut off abruptly with some jackass yelling “CANDYYYY BREAAAAAK” in a Kit-Kat commercial. Permanent lost customer.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Synth YouTuber here. No, it's not YouTube, it's the creator. Each creator can choose the Ad formats on their channel. Typically the ads are set to show at the beginning of the video, and set with the ability for viewers to skip the ad, which is how we all came to accept YouTube.

However, for long videos there's an additional option to show "Automatic mid-roll ads". Some people turn that on. Personally I have that one turned off, as it bugs me too when there are multiple ads in the middle of a video, and so I wouldn't want to burden my viewers with those dynosaur-TV-style interruptions in the middle of the video.

Here's a snapshot of that setting:

Old 23rd August 2018
Deleted 2915a84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzzzz View Post
I’m influenced by them. I 100% guarantee I will never buy a Kit-Kat again in my life because I’ve had synth videos cut off abruptly with some jackass yelling “CANDYYYY BREAAAAAK” in a Kit-Kat commercial. Permanent lost customer.
It’s so true. Advertising tells me what NOT to buy. I HATE apple commercials. I can’t stand anything Apple as a result. Anything I see in advertising, except for music gear, I generally DO NOT purchase.

I like rare, hard to find things
Old 23rd August 2018
Deleted c985153
I don't really mind it most of the time, considering the enormous amount of content available with no other cost. But what's with the super long infomercials? I've had some pop up that are over an hour (skippable after 5 secs of course). Don't see anyone choosing to watch a video, then getting interrupted by a super long commercial and thinking "ya, this looks way more interesting!". Harsh realities of this world I guess
Old 23rd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
....everyone hates commercials and I reckon nobody is influenced by them
Actually, the people most certain that they are not influenced by advertising, are indeed the most susceptible.

The advertising and public relations industry reports revenues exceeding $500 BILLION annually. This money would not be spent if people were not influenced. Its not just products, but ideas that they sell. When the Bush administration pushed for war in Iraq, they didn’t hire a well-spoken general to give a speech, they hired advertising executive Charlotte Beers to be Colin Powell’s Undersecretary of State. Her resume included Uncle Ben’s Rice and Head & Shoulders Shampoo. The Jessica Lynch story and the toppling of the Saddam statue were all PR stunts staged by Ad agencies. The award for the best global ad campaign went to the Obama administration in 2008.

Sadly, these advertising corporations grew out of the well-meaning psychology indistry. Decades of research and data on how human beings are influenced, its actually quite easy for them to accomplish. Psychologists amd sociologists are the one’s who redesigned Facebook.

Youtube Premium is $9.99/month. No ads, download whatever you want, access to premium content, and you get youtube music included, which is basically the former google music.

I don’t like it either. Until its not effective, it will continue.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone elsw think that the Roli commercials are really dumb?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil Vert View Post
I browse youtube without any ads

Firefox + adblock
With AdBlock, we small channel creators don't make any money when you watch our videos. Videos that take A LOT of effort (and time, money, resources) to produce.

When enough people use Adblock, they'll change the model and YouTube won't be any longer freely browseable: you'll have to pay a monthly subscription model, log in like Netflix, YouTube red, Hulu etc.

As it always happens in history when too many people want a free lunch - they destroy the original creation model in whole.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I just don't get the whole commercial-industry, everyone hates commercials and I reckon nobody is influenced by them, not only on youtube but also on radio, internet and TV. It is just very annoying on any medium, but still, it exists
Yes, everyone hates commercials but you should be making a distinction: YouTube is (for now) a free website.

I too can't stand commercials on a service that I ALREADY PAY monthly (like cable or satellite TV, Sirius XM radio, etc.) - those services shouldn't have any ads because we are already paying a monthly fee, YET they still serve commercials. That is super annoying, I totally agree.

But on YouTube you're not paying a monthly fee. The ads are there to support the service, and of course pay Google and us, the creators. And trust me, it doesn't pay that much. Again, I agree that the rolling ads on longer videos are annoying, but one ad at the beginning of a video (that you can skip after five seconds), is that really too much to ask in exchange for a video that takes a lot of effort to produce?

Unless you can find another way of supporting creators? Would you rather use the Patreon model? In my opinion, ads are better. I don't use Patreon, but maybe I don't know enough about it. Other creators seem to use it a lot.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure (EDIT: I'm talking about the ads, I don't mean your videos), and people almost always prefer a reward (the video) over punishment (the ad). When profit is involved, almost everyone will try to take advantage. Water takes the path of least resistance - it will find a hole, and rust never sleeps?
All I can say is: this thread is really making me consider turning on the Automatic mid-roll ads on my channel, start using Click-Bait titles, and spam social media with all my crap. Like everybody else does - and I'm one of the few synth channels left who doesn't.

You see? Creators can take the path of least resistance too. G'nite.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post

Youtube Premium is $9.99/month. No ads, download whatever you want, access to premium content, and you get youtube music included, which is basically the former google music.
Money well spent IMO.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
With AdBlock, we small channel creators don't make any money when you watch our videos. Videos that take A LOT of effort (and time, money, resources) to produce.

When enough people use Adblock, they'll change the model and YouTube won't be any longer freely browseable: you'll have to pay a monthly subscription model, log in like Netflix, YouTube red, Hulu etc.

As it always happens in history when too many people want a free lunch - they destroy the original creation model in whole.
Well said- I agree!
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

I've been watching these prision life YouTube channels. I initially wanted to just get some vocal samples but now I'm kind of hooked on some of those channels like Fresh Out-Life After the Penitientary with Big Herc. He talks primarily about either getting your wig split or your cheeks busted. The comments are hilarious.

The commercials on videos don't bother me too much but with music it was driving my whole family crazy so we are on the YouTube Music Family Plan. Kids can download what they want and the app is actually been pretty good about surfacing new content if you are already subscribing to good channels.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
All I can say is: this thread is really making me consider turning on the Automatic mid-roll ads on my channel, start using Click-Bait titles, and spam social media with all my crap. Like everybody else does - and I'm one of the few synth channels left who doesn't.

You see? Creators can take the path of least resistance too. G'nite.
Well, I actually don't use an adblocker, but I do skip the ads if it's an option. I'm not your enemy! I've watched and appreciated videos you've linked here.

People (including your viewers) say we don't like ads, and that makes you want to choke your videos with ads? That doesn't make sense - you've avoided it this long because you care, I think. I didn't mean to counter that instinct, plus other people can't make that decision (your YouTube) for you.

Sorry for instigating:
My messages above seemed to foster defensiveness and self-contraction, so I got rid of them.

Last edited by PuggaMahone; 23rd August 2018 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Rough night, so why not?
Old 23rd August 2018
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Actually, the people most certain that they are not influenced by advertising, are indeed the most susceptible.
Well, i have never bought anything based on seeing an ad.

You mean there actually are people who see an ad and then think "hey i am gonna buy that" ?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its a business, its either that or charge its users.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post

You mean there actually are people who see an ad and then think "hey i am gonna buy that" ?
Do you wear any designer or sports clothing, Adidas etc, if so marketing has had an effect on you. Do you buy any main brand food? marketing has had an effect on you.
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Guru

adds partly function by filling up the available information space. if yours fills up the space then the other guys doesn't. it's a kind of information arms race which achieves dominance to the highest bidder. a brand succeeds by you simply being aware of it.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Well, I actually don't use an adblocker, but I do skip the ads if it's an option. I'm not your enemy! I've watched and appreciated videos you've linked here.

People (including your viewers) say we don't like ads, and that makes you want to choke your videos with ads? That doesn't make sense - you've avoided it this long because you care, I think. I didn't mean to counter that instinct, plus other people can't make that decision (your YouTube) for you.

Sorry for instigating:
My messages above seemed to foster defensiveness and self-contraction, so I got rid of them.
Oh, no, no. I wasn't referring to your posts. I'm referring in general to the people who want stuff for free. The fact is: YT has changed a lot in the past year or two, it used to be much better. Now the popularity is dictated by an algorithm that seems to promoted based on: 1. the title of the video: most youtubers now use ClickBait titles. Everyone does. At this point one has to do the same, if they want to be promoted by the algorithm. 2. "Meh" content that appeals to the masses rather than a selected few who actually know about music. This needs no explanation, you know why. 3. Ads everywhere, and linking on a huge dominos of other social media platforms. These are the things that all the other popular youtubers have been doing for a while. At what point do the smaller youtubers have no choice but follow suit? Music doesn't sell anything anymore, zero. How are creators supposed to generate any revenue for all their work, if people use AdBlock? This metal youtube player explains it well
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Guru

I'm working on a series called

JUST HOW FIRE RESISTANT IS MUSICAL EQUIPMENT ANYWAY!! ?

I bet it's the DX7 which wins
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post

I’m with you bro. Ads are freaking annoying. I buy what I like. I certainly don’t want to be told what to like or buy. Ads have never influenced me at all
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear