The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where do all these commercials come from in Youtube video's?
Old 13th November 2018
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I've seen shows where show segments between commercials last as little as 3 or 4 minutes. )
Jeeezzzzzz... Well here in Holland it isn't quite as bad (i think), but still, i almost never watch regular TV.

But, how is it possible that the advertising-industry still exists even though literally everyone hates commercials?
Old 14th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
Jeeezzzzzz... Well here in Holland it isn't quite as bad (i think), but still, i almost never watch regular TV.

But, how is it possible that the advertising-industry still exists even though literally everyone hates commercials?
Advertising messages are like sperm cells. They just keep coming, trying to penetrate our attention and impregnate us with the desire to buy, to own, to consume. And more...

They keep coming because, in the evolution of commerce sense, it continues to be successful, eve though it seems incredibly wasteful, profligate... annoying.
Old 15th November 2018
Youtube premium is 100% worth it.
Old 15th November 2018
Deleted b598644
Quote:
it continues to be successful, )
I think this is a myth and an excuse made up by the advertising industry cartel to continue with the same pointless BS over and over.

I really can't imagine anyone watching an imposed commercial and actually thinking "what a nice commercial, yes i am gonna buy that".

And if you think about it, it is just dictatorial and monopolistic to say "as long as you don't pay us, we will keep pushing unwanted commercials in your face"
Old 16th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
I think this is a myth and an excuse made up by the advertising industry cartel to continue with the same pointless BS over and over.

I really can't imagine anyone watching an imposed commercial and actually thinking "what a nice commercial, yes i am gonna buy that".

And if you think about it, it is just dictatorial and monopolistic to say "as long as you don't pay us, we will keep pushing unwanted commercials in your face"
No one has to sell me on how annoying video adverts generally are. I despise 'em. I grew up on them, but once I'd experienced (good -- or at least entertaining) TV shows without them, I knew it would be all but impossible to go back. (And, to be honest, I hadn't watched much commercial-driven TV in years, anyhow.)

That said, there's not really any question that TV advertising 'works.' Sadly, in today's post-literate world, various forms of video (and animated) advertising on TV and on the web are the primary way most people find out about products. The social science metrics supporting the position that TV advertising works are pretty inarguable. Let's face it, all those big companies buying TV adverts do not like to give away money for nothing. Their boards demand rigorous evidence before opening the corporate pocketbook. And companies whose advertising budgets begin shrinking are almost always watched warily by investors.

Nope... love 'em, hate 'em (and nobody but advertising directors love 'em), video ads are here to stay, I'm afraid.

=(
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
I think you're forgetting about kids and teenagers. Very susceptible to suggestion.

Further to that, you may be overestimating the intelligence of the general population.
Old 16th November 2018
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
I think you're forgetting about kids and teenagers. Very susceptible to suggestion.

Further to that, you may be overestimating the intelligence of the general population.
When i was a kid and teenager, fortunately there was no internet and antisocial media with commercials puked on you everytime. So my generation isn't ruined at a young age.
So yeah, apparently the dumbing down of mankind starts at a younger age every year.
Old 16th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post

For sure.

Though I'm not at all sure that folks were any smarter back in the 1950's and 60's when I was growing up. If anything, many 'in the middle' were less sophisticated than average folks are now.

That said, advertisers and other 'paid influencers' are way more sophisticated in their efforts. There is SO much money devoted to marketing that it has substantially shaped the curricula of many colleges and universities, particularly with regard to psychological research on persuasion campaigns and, now, of course, the use of social media and paid influencers to 'subtly' (their notion, not mine) shape public opinion with micro/nano-targeting of influence campaigns.
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Guru

I speculated 15 years ago that under an advertising revenue sharing model, that youtubes own creatives could become a competitive thorn in the side for youtube itself. especially in cases where youtube imagined a world where ethics and persuasion could coexist unproblematically.

the current phase.

Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

Just watched Hoovie's last video (posted July 22nd 2020) entitled "The Audi Allroad Was The Most Unreliable Car Ever Made...", watched all 12 minutes and 52 seconds of it straight, with NOT 1 SECOND of advertisement.

Gotta install the right adblockers & the right scripts 'n filters.

Cheers.

NB: Though very sparsely informative here & there, I agree with Hoovie himself when he says his is "the dumbest automotive channel in all of YT". It is, really. A close tie with Doug Demuro's useless abundant material.
Old 10th August 2020
Worth noting that, as long as you own all the rights to the content on your YT channel, you can opt out of their advertising. You won't get any ad revenue, of course, but if your intent is promotion of your music or business, it probably makes sense to not have any ads.

https://support.google.com/youtube/a...my%20videos%22.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I just keep wondering who is actually dumb enough to buy the crap they're shoving in our faces 24/7.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
I just keep wondering who is actually dumb enough to buy the crap they're shoving in our faces 24/7.

I'm almost 70, first gen TV baby.

I've been wondering what you're wondering for well over 60 years.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm almost 70, first gen TV baby.

I've been wondering what you're wondering for well over 60 years.
I've been watching television for over 25 years, and there's always some new formula for something, how freaking much can they improve shampoo?!
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm mostly OK with YouTube ads at this point, but other than political ads, Dr. Squatch ads get on my nerves. They have this snarky dude-bro spokesman who gets grating after 30 seconds, let alone the five or so minutes they run. We get it, your soap is for manly men.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Everybody including everyone in this thread. I did some reserach on this when I was in uni. It isn't that people see an ad and run out to buy the product (unless they specifically need/want that product). That isn't how it works for most people.

What happens is that you hear/see certain brands, sometimes your whole life, and when you go out to buy a certain product, especially for the first time, human nature makes you, everyone, more likely to buy a brand that they feel they know. Of course they don't really know the brand (or the people behind it), but the name/logo is familiar because they have heard/seen it before. And it works. The sales increases after marketing campaigns don't lie...

Alistair
Old 10th August 2020
I can handle the commercials.

One thing that perplexes me is why I get the commercials I get. OK- the Deadmaus/Itzhak Perlman/whoever master classes are slightly interesting. Thankfully there aren't too many political ones here.

The one that totally befuddles me is the Manscape 3.0 commercials. Why the heck am I getting them? It got me thinking.......and I think you could make a catchy beatbox/ hip-hop beat to it:

I got curlies everywhere
but the girls they like it bare

I NEED A MANSCAPE 3.0!
I NEED A MANSCAPE 3.0!

All those curlies I'll attack
but I need help with my back

I NEED A MANSCAPE 3.0!
I NEED A MANSCAPE 3.0!

and so on......
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Everybody including everyone in this thread. I did some reserach on this when I was in uni. It isn't that people see an ad and run out to buy the product (unless they specifically need/want that product). That isn't how it works for most people.

What happens is that you hear/see certain brands, sometimes your whole life, and when you go out to buy a certain product, especially for the first time, human nature makes you, everyone, more likely to buy a brand that they feel they know. Of course they don't really know the brand (or the people behind it), but the name/logo is familiar because they have heard/seen it before. And it works. The sales increases after marketing campaigns don't lie...

Alistair
It's usually that I hear what's a good brand out there. But if I would need to make an uneducated decision about anything I usually go with the packaging that appeals the most to me. Like how the heck do you pick wine? I'm a graphic designer so I know how to make shapes appealing to the eye, it works.

If you have to gamble, pick something from the lowest shelf. Because companies pay millions to have their stuff at eye level, let alone having it at the checkout lanes. Because that's where you wait and look around.

Also a good tip: Always stay in the outer ring of a store if you want to stay healthy. All the processed stuff is usually in the inner aisles.

Oh and if you happen to be at Ikea, take the shortcuts to the department where you have to be because they''ll guide you through all the crap they want you to buy before you get to the section you want to be. Only recently the bastards closed most of these shortcuts.

If you happen to be with a woman, then you're out of luck because she will guide you through all the sh*t they have because women love dumb fridge magnets and fluffy pillows...

You want proof? There is this Danish chain of stores across the country here in Belgium called Flying Tiger. When you take a peek inside, you see all the chicks grabbing cheesy quoted coasters and pink pencil bags shaped like unicorns. The guys in there.. well you have to keep your girl happy...

Last edited by Liquidaudio; 11th August 2020 at 07:06 AM..
Old 22nd August 2020
Quote:
I've been watching television for over 25 years, and there's always some new formula for something, how freaking much can they improve shampoo?!

But it's got non-GMO oatmeal in it! And... amino acids!
Old 22nd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post

Alistair
When my original Google Nexus 7" tablet from 2012 got so it could barely run the increasingly bloated Android OS, and then the charging subsystem stopped working, I first bought a generic Chinese tablet from Newegg. Unfortunately, it turned out to have been factory-infected with malware that loaded adware and malware loaders 60 days after every hard reset. A real treat!

So, I learned my lesson. My next tablet I bought from Walmart. It was also very cheap. But it was branded as RCA.

Now, of course, I knew that RCA had been licensing out its name to offshore manufacturers for years -- but I figured that that licensing investment was at least a shred of assurance that the manufacturer might not squander such an investment by slapping the branding badge on something totally disreputable.

Last edited by theblue1; 23rd August 2020 at 12:11 AM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear