The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I wish I was a video editor
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I wish I was a video editor

...so I could be making triple what an audio engineer makes, all while never really having to buy any gear other than literally any decent computer that runs premiere.

I can get mad and scream at audio engineers when I send them mp3's to mix into my film and they ask for full-res .wav's. "MP3's are what everyone listens to, dumbass!"

I can get really really nasty and snarl "Not everyone went to film school" through gritted teeth when an audio engineer tells me that the music for the film needs to be in stereo, not mono, and I don't understand those terms. Because of course, the only way to understand the difference between mono and stereo is to go to film school! I'm a video editor. I just grab whatever file and throw it on my timeline without even checking, well, anything at all.

I could tell an audio engineer with a completely straight face "Dude, $300 is a bit much to dialog edit, sound fx edit, foley, background edit, and re-recording mix my 38-minute short film" as I sit in my tesla eating avocado toast.

"And I'll need the whole season of episodes mixed by the end of the week even though when we started I told you you'd have literally 10 times as much time."

I wish i became a video editor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not all video editors are making a lot of $$$ and they are under a lot of time pressure "to get the job done" and of course "to stay within budget" .

Maybe in Hollywood they are as you describe but in the heartland it is a different scenario all together. FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill___Bro View Post
I can get really really nasty and snarl "Not everyone went to film school" through gritted teeth...
They're like that because they're miserable.
Old 2 weeks ago
I'm never the slightest bit careful of what I wish for, I am a cascading fountain of wishes, constantly, nothing is too outlandish for me to want to see come true... but one thing I didn't even know I was missing was the *latest* feature on my new Canon.

It's a feature called "Creative Shot." If you CAN MANAGE TO PRESS THE BUTTON on the top of the camera, when you're anywhere doing anything, or nothing, it internally will prepare for you a fully feature length movie (as long as it's only 25 seconds or so, which that day is coming sooner than we think) with zoomings and cross-dissolves and photoshop effects. And evocative, enchanting music, of which you can choose from 8 styles. Of whatever charming action scenes of kids playing. Or completely totally random sheet.

The illusion of expertise, automated... wave of the future, huh?

Last edited by joelpatterson; 2 weeks ago at 05:20 PM.. Reason: that would be telling!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
The illusion of expertise, automated... wave of the future, huh?
Let us thank our lords at Canon for this bountiful gift!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Not all video editors are making a lot of $$$ and they are under a lot of time pressure "to get the job done" and of course "to stay within budget" .

Maybe in Hollywood they are as you describe but in the heartland it is a different scenario all together. FWIW
They should move then because I've met plenty of people making 6 figures who can't even have a conversation about framerates.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Oh man, that time I spent a week on an epic single for a band and they published the video to Youtube with mono sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So like... if you just blow off blowhard's End Of The Week deadline, and stick adamantly to the original deal, smiling and utterly ignorant of his angst...

Would that mean he'd tell all his "friends" and you'd never get to work with his royal ass, ever again?

Huh.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They should move then because I've met plenty of people making 6 figures who can't even have a conversation about framerates.
GREAT!!! More power to them.

The cost of everything on the right and left coast are very high. Maybe your friends are making $$$,$$$.$$ but also spending it just as quickly. In SF $117,000 a year is considered "low income" San Francisco: Where a six-figure salary is 'low income' - BBC News. FWIW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'll one up you on the bile for video "editors." I've worked at a performing arts school/center since 2006. One of my first year students started working in the video department a few years ago. Each year for graduation we do a "Senior year video." The accompaniment is the alma mater, which I wrote the third year I was there. They felt they needed one. Anyway.... This year the video editor lost the standard version we've been using for the past three years and I sent him a placeholder version of the original demo, which times out the same. Every few years I try to update it with new voices, so I got him a new and improved version and sent it to him twice. All he had to do was lay it in.

Well, of course on graduation day, I found out that he'd used the demo track and also managed to screw the stereo balance so it was skewing heavy left.

I'm not saying all video editors are useless....
Old 2 weeks ago
I find it just funny, in a treacherously revealing way, that people say "video," out of hand and not giving it a second thought, when what they really mean is "video & audio."

What "video" is, it's a silent movie... but for some ungodly reason, the "oh yeah and audio too, and hopefully audio that's just as good as if it were just audio," that part goes unspoken and unmentioned, which tendency I find to be so curious really.

Even exponentially so when it was a video guy who confessed to me, ruminating about watching television, "It's okay if the picture breaks up a little, as long as the soundtrack goes on you can follow what's happening-- what the characters are saying, the musical cues... but it the audio drops out, you're lost-- what did they say? What just happened???"
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Even exponentially so when it was a video guy who confessed to me, ruminating about watching television, "It's okay if the picture breaks up a little, as long as the soundtrack goes on you can follow what's happening-- what the characters are saying, the musical cues... but it the audio drops out, you're lost-- what did they say? What just happened???"
For a brief period I was fortunate enough that we had a creative director who wanted to craft promos starting with the soundtrack. Our spots had rhythm, an element of originality, and flow. It was a lot of fun crafting pieces like that. That person no longer works where I am, I'm worried about the future of our dept.

Also, next time I'll say "Film editor", hopefully that will bother you less. Even though no one in the building I work in has cut a piece of film in at least 2 decades.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
GREAT!!! More power to them.

The cost of everything on the right and left coast are very high. Maybe your friends are making $$$,$$$.$$ but also spending it just as quickly. In SF $117,000 a year is considered "low income" San Francisco: Where a six-figure salary is 'low income' - BBC News. FWIW.
First of all, I never said any of them were my friends. Don't put words in my mouth or try to apply context where there isn't.

Secondly, I've never been to San Francisco, and to compare the living costs there to the living costs of Burbank is laughable at best. If you make $120k in LA and you are 26 and single, you are doing very well.

This is the moan zone, and I was complaining about how we as sound mixers need to spend twice the cash to make half the bread. Based on this thread, it sounds like everyone else here is somehow totally ok with that, so I'm just gonna STFU.

Peace and good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
First of all, I never said any of them were my friends. Don't put words in my mouth or try to apply context where there isn't.

Secondly, I've never been to San Francisco, and to compare the living costs there to the living costs of Burbank is laughable at best. If you make $120k in LA and you are 26 and single, you are doing very well.

This is the moan zone, and I was complaining about how we as sound mixers need to spend twice the cash to make half the bread. Based on this thread, it sounds like everyone else here is somehow totally ok with that, so I'm just gonna STFU.

Peace and good luck.
So become a video editor and make lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Why not live up to your Nome de plume and "chill_____Bro"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Welcome to gearslutz...anything you point out will be used against you
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
Welcome to gearslutz...anything you point out will be used against you
Yup. It's a great source of information. You just need to wait for someone else to ask the question.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search