The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Young people dredging through the past for inane, trite pop songs Keyboard Controllers
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Young people dredging through the past for inane, trite pop songs

I do, do, do not get it. "Oh What A Night" & "Don't Stop Believing" & "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" & countless other songs of their ilk, like THE hallmarks of tiresome, grimly tedious hackwork.

I don't want to read too much into this... but I keep hearing in my line of work kids who weren't born until well into the early years of the present century belting these out with conviction, instead of say "Take The Long Way Home" & "Love's In Need Of Love Today."

Any theories?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I was raised on radio and I like my trite pop songs. So sue me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Its the musical version of what is more obvious in film/tv production. Its the era of Star Wars, episode 753.

The easiest, most consistent path in a world of reductionist pleasure-seeking and immediate gratification is to wallow in nostalgic familiarity.

In other words, a decline in creative content due to a drive to create immediate, and contrived attention, visibility, profit at all costs, regardless of substance or purpose creates stagnation.

Other than that, its awesome.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I do, do, do not get it. "Oh What A Night" & "Don't Stop Believing" & "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" & countless other songs of their ilk, like THE hallmarks of tiresome, grimly tedious hackwork.

I don't want to read too much into this... but I keep hearing in my line of work kids who weren't born until well into the early years of the present century belting these out with conviction, instead of say "Take The Long Way Home" & "Love's In Need Of Love Today."

Any theories?
I have no theory, but I can say I like all 5 songs you’ve mentioned
I wish bars would have a break on the first one though and play Beggin or Grease instead...
Old 6 days ago
Quote:

Any theories?
I have to say I don't know any of those songs by their titles although I suspect there's a good chance I might recognize some of the older ones. (I'm betting "Oh, What a Night" would be instantly familiar, but I can't pull it to mind from its title. And I'm NOT going looking for it. )

But I stopped listening to commercial radio in 1987 or so because it was just too bloody insultingly stupid to listen to.

Have not regretted it.

But I will say it was a bit of a long decade waiting for the Internet to kick in as a source of new music. I did rely on a few public stations during that period; happily, for much of that time, we had a good, semi-adventurous, eclectic public station in LA and some dicey-but-interesting student-run stations. It went (really) downhill in the late 90s and into this decade, but by then, Mp3.com had introduced thousands of previously unheard artists and the Internet had started taking off as a discovery venue.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

We need a GS subforum for those in their 50s.
Because (not my quote)
Youth and Vigour is no match for old age and treachery.

And if I see another keystep in a YT video I am going to scream!
Old 6 days ago
I broke down and looked it up: December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night - Wikipedia)

To be honest, while I know that Frank Valli had a long career, I had no real idea the Four Seasons were active in 1975 -- and especially that they had a hit!

FWIW, I did always have twin soft spots for the stridently obnoxious "Walk Like a Man," (it's irritating as hell, but catchy as hell, too) and "Big Girls Don't Cry," from the early 60s, another in-your-face-but-catchy hook vehicle. So, I guess we all have our weak spots...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I broke down and looked it up....
Very good, one down and four to go!

I wonder if I should have begun the thread with saying, "Good morn or evening, friends, here's your friendly announcer. I have serious news to pass on to everybody..."?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Very good, one down and four to go!

I wonder if I should have begun the thread with saying, "Good morn or evening, friends, here's your friendly announcer. I have serious news to pass on to everybody..."?
I looked it up. I didn't actually listen... it took me long enough to make some sort of uneasy peace with the 70s. Why poke old wounds?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I broke down and looked it up: December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night - Wikipedia)

To be honest, while I know that Frank Valli had a long career, I had no real idea the Four Seasons were active in 1975 -- and especially that they had a hit!
Interestingly that tune was actually sung by their drummer at the time, Gerry Polci.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Interestingly that tune was actually sung by their drummer at the time, Gerry Polci.
Ah! I was searching memory for a Frankie Valli-voiced hit from the 70s but couldn't pull one up. (That doesn't mean there weren't any, by any means; I had a quick finger on the station buttons on my old car radio!)

Of course, I'm pretty sure that if I were to play the record, it would be instantly familiar, as so many of these 'background-noise' pop culture things are. Probably somewhat true of the other tracks mentioned.

I have to say I was somehow heartened by Valli's long career. I have a soft spot for falsetto singers in general -- though it goes to love/hate pretty easy, of course, because falsetto can be hard to pull off as a lead singing style through a whole song unless you're one of those honey-dipped soul falsetto singers. Frankie wasn't. My own falsetto -- honed early on "Big Girls" -- was a lot more in the strident, Frankie vein, as well. I think what endeared him to me was that wailing, high voice singing the "Walk Like a Man" lyrics. Money.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

What I wish as that, as long as they are going to dredge up the past, is that they would dig a little deeper and find the slightly more obscure stuff. You know, maybe something like "Only Women Bleed" by Alice Cooper (although Etta James did a nice version) or "My Love Is Alive" by Gary Wright.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search