The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sweetwater no longer carries Antelope
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Minimum RTL numbers? Thunderbolt RTL comparison to Presonus Quantum2 line?
Wrong company. Not a CHANCE they will ever provide such figures. At this point, I'm seriously not even sure if they know what any of those mean... or why they may be a very relevant pre-purchasing metric. Plus a basic (SOLID) manual... FX imple... ... ... ... ...

Stay tuned for the next 32+++ hHD Gen 4 MAX, though.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

Please send me a private message.
Can you please send me a private message, Sam?

I know you MUST have a better manual for your Orion 32HD | Gen 3 than you guys are posting online. I mean... it appears to be your current flagship machine. Can you just PM a link to the manual that you have actually sent out with the devices?

Thanks bud.
Old 18th June 2019
This will get discontinued in a year or two like everything else they make. How long did the original discrete models last?
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Head

Buyer beware. I've never actually been angry with an audio company until Antelope.

I purchased an "upgrade" version of the Discrete 4 for over $400 extra a year ago with the promise of AFX2DAW on Windows that has never materialized, despite over a year of promises.

After 1 year its apparent that unit will quickly become obsolete. So many sessions the firmware is being auto updated which is good, but I can't stop or control it's schedule, it takes over my computer when I try to launch the software. Updates are completely unpredictable and has bricked my system several times only to ruin several sessions. You have no control over your system with Antelope software.

Buy this product and you will probably be left in the dust next year to when their next incomplete product is launched. They should have delivered what they promised before moving on, and they've done this on several other product lines.

Do yourself a favor and look really hard at their competitors, there is so much more to a company than just a hardware interface and empty promises.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkswan View Post
Buyer beware. I've never actually been angry with an audio company until Antelope.

I purchased an "upgrade" version of the Discrete 4 for over $400 extra a year ago with the promise of AFX2DAW on Windows that has never materialized, despite over a year of promises.

After 1 year its apparent that unit will quickly become obsolete. So many sessions the firmware is being auto updated which is good, but I can't stop or control it's schedule, it takes over my computer when I try to launch the software. Updates are completely unpredictable and has bricked my system several times only to ruin several sessions. You have no control over your system with Antelope software.

Buy this product and you will probably be left in the dust next year to when their next incomplete product is launched. They should have delivered what they promised before moving on, and they've done this on several other product lines.

Do yourself a favor and look really hard at their competitors, there is so much more to a company than just a hardware interface and empty promises.
This^^^ after 14 months of disappointment my amigo went with a competitor and hasn't looked back. I really hope you guys get it together. The Discrete 8 has the perfect IO setup for my needs.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkswan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ne View Post
I absolutely love Antelope hardware. The converters and mic pres in my Discrete 4 are some of the best I ever heard at any price. BUT, my overall user experience, so far, has been horrendous, and I will be returning my unit.

Vote with your wallet. This company needs to be punished by the market until they learn that adequate user experience requires more than just hardware. I expect the type of crap I dealt with to come from some 3rd tier Chinese manufacturer of $200 interfaces. Behringer, the bottom tier, is a far better run company.

The crimes of Antelope Audio:
  1. Leaving PC users out to dry for almost 2 years after marketing AFX2DAW but failing to deliver
  2. Lack of transparency on the heavily marketed features of their hardware and software
  3. Having one of the most infuriating setup/onboarding experiences

Solutions:
  1. As a PC user, don't buy until thunderbolt drivers are out of beta
  2. As a PC user, don't buy until the promised AFX2DAW exists
  3. Don't buy Synergy Core until 3rd party plugin partnerships are announced
  4. Don't buy until their criminally lazy, unfinished user manuals are made into nice, neat, and extremely helpful PDFs or online documents
  5. Don't buy until their criminally lazy, unfinished website contains proper setup instructions and proper links for your specific product instead of circular links to pages that may or may not contain what you need (but almost always leave you confused at first, or guessing)
  6. Don't buy until the Antelope Loader software stops looking and functioning like a Windows 95 program.
  7. Don't buy until their legacy products are respected and supported, because right now you become a legacy customer as soon as they have your money.

Assuming that they mean well, the tragedy of Antelope Audio, as with many companies run by engineers is that the things they may consider an afterthought are actually really important to users.

I hope this helps with your buying decision. Everything Antelope announced is speculative and theoretical until further notice.

Indeed. Do not give money to untrustworthy companies, especially with a bad history (Aardvark).
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Guru

I wish gearslutz had a middle finger

on second thought, it's probably good that we don't
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Aardvark got me once with the Q10. Never again.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting that GS mods just peel posts out of current product threads and add them onto the end of a Sweetwater thread in the moan zoan.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Interesting that GS mods just peel posts out of current product threads and add them onto the end of a Sweetwater thread in the moan zoan.
Ever notice the Antelope advertising on gearslutz?
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Ever notice the Antelope advertising on gearslutz?
No... but I've been trying to look for it in the last hour, or so. Didn't there use to be a... See all advertisers/advertisement... link? Can't find it now. Am on a tablet. Will check from laptop.

Kinda disappointed if that's what is happening. Integrity... where have thee gone? Kind of ironic these posts have been moved to a thread where Sweetwater said bye-bye to a problematic company. You'd think GS would say the same if they are being asked to filter reality for advertising dollars/pounds.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Same with B*hr*ng*r.

Move any comments which are “less than glowing praise” to this far less visible area to keep advertisers happy, but not appear to be anti-democratic towards the members of the forum. “Hey, we didn’t delete your post, we simply moved it to the ‘appropriate’ sub forum, which also just happens to be buried away, invisible to people who are not logged in, not indexed on Google and thus far less trafficked”

$$$ talks. End of story.

Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru
GS is disappointing on that level where Behringer sued GS users and can still as far as I know advertise. Stam also continues to slam Heiserman which is total BS.
I do understand staying out of disputes but in the Behringer case they attacked the GS community and lost.....!

Antelope is a mess and I'd never buy anything from them The guy who came on to defend them acted like an ass and reminded me of the guy from Gobbler.......another gem!

I like my gear and those behind it to have good karma, to me that's what music is about..... plenty of great ethical cheap stuff out there......
Old 30th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Same with B*hr*ng*r.

Move any comments which are “less than glowing praise” to this far less visible area to keep advertisers happy, but not appear to be anti-democratic towards the members of the forum. “Hey, we didn’t delete your post, we simply moved it to the ‘appropriate’ sub forum, which also just happens to be buried away, invisible to people who are not logged in, not indexed on Google and thus far less trafficked”

$$$ talks. End of story.

Just for the record, I have never ever been asked to move a post, or do anything in fact under pressure from advertisers.

We move posts here because they aware/will become a rant. End of.

Please don’t try to suggest we’re being pressured to do that by advertisers. I’m telling you now you’re wrong by suggesting that.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear
I've not read the entire thread so this maybe repetition.

Maybe SW dropped the line because they were getting to many returns!
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I've not read the entire thread so this maybe repetition.

Maybe SW dropped the line because they were getting to many returns!
I heard that it was because of the number of returns, then SW were sending the customers a new unit while the old one was out for repair.
Then SW ended up having to just let the customers keep the loaner, because the repairs were taking so long, and when the other unit finally came back from repair, SW were forced to sell the repaired unit as refurbished, thus losing very significant amounts of money.

I have spoken to other retailers in the UK that reported the same issues to me, and that dealing with Antelope support was not a pleasant experience for them.
Other returns were reportedly due to flaky software/drivers, and firmware updates that bricked the devices.

I had a Zen Tour for a couple of years, but just recently sold it at a significant loss. The company themselves just rubbed me up the wrong way too many times.
The conversion and preamps sounded amazing, but the driver support in Windows was really poor. Macs seemed to fair better.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When I burn sage, the image that appears in the smoke is middle fingers and NDA's.
This is the single best post on GS of all time.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

I notice that Prism converters have a similar ball dropping approach to drivers and updates
But have few new products comparatively
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Here’s my expericence with antelope. Bought a zen studio late 2014 sold it 2019 because it stopped working with my iPad. Originally paid $2500 sold to guitar center for $900. Bought a second hand zen tour at guitar center for $1100, had driver issues regarding having to reboot my MacBook Pro every time I had to use the device. If I didn’t reboot my computer wouldn’t recognize the zen tour. I also bought a second hand pure 2 which sounded great but had driver issues freezing up my sound connectivity on my computer so I returned it. I really want to love the product but unfair that the devices do not play nicely with my MacBook running 10.13 high Sierra. I ended purchasing a Apogee Quartet while letting the zen tour go for $500 as a trad in taking a $700 plus loss to get the quartet. I still don’t know if it was the right move. I can’t believe how good the apogee quartet reliably connects to my iPad and MacBook Pro with zero problems. Sure the zens and pure 2;sounded really good but at the expense of headaches and unreliability is hard to swallow. I wish black lion audio did mods on the quartet only for the duet. I just want the best sound possible with my rig. By the way, the pure 2 headphone amp was really weak and didn’t like it. The monitor outs where amazing, music sounded 3D. Dispite having issues I may pick up anther pure 2 in the future if offered at a good price. Another option is for me to externally clock my apogee quartet with the black lion audio mk3 xB clock. The only way to do it is with adat. Again, I went the best conversion and clock possible that work with my iPad and Mac.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
I notice that Prism converters have a similar ball dropping approach to drivers and updates
But have few new products comparatively
they have a reputation, as far as I can tell, of sounding superb and having very poor understanding of computer support. bad drivers, bad code. I've never owned or heard one, they are super niche.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
they have a reputation, as far as I can tell, of sounding superb and having very poor understanding of computer support. bad drivers, bad code. I've never owned or heard one, they are super niche.
Prism is mostly used in two channel mastering and in hi-fi rigs. Their stuff sounds good but functions poorly as a tracking or general use interface. Prism the company can’t really be compared to antelope.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsol View Post
Here’s my expericence with antelope. Bought a zen studio late 2014 sold it 2019 because it stopped working with my iPad. Originally paid $2500 sold to guitar center for $900. Bought a second hand zen tour at guitar center for $1100, had driver issues regarding having to reboot my MacBook Pro every time I had to use the device. If I didn’t reboot my computer wouldn’t recognize the zen tour. I also bought a second hand pure 2 which sounded great but had driver issues freezing up my sound connectivity on my computer so I returned it. I really want to love the product but unfair that the devices do not play nicely with my MacBook running 10.13 high Sierra. I ended purchasing a Apogee Quartet while letting the zen tour go for $500 as a trad in taking a $700 plus loss to get the quartet. I still don’t know if it was the right move. I can’t believe how good the apogee quartet reliably connects to my iPad and MacBook Pro with zero problems. Sure the zens and pure 2;sounded really good but at the expense of headaches and unreliability is hard to swallow. I wish black lion audio did mods on the quartet only for the duet. I just want the best sound possible with my rig. By the way, the pure 2 headphone amp was really weak and didn’t like it. The monitor outs where amazing, music sounded 3D. Dispite having issues I may pick up anther pure 2 in the future if offered at a good price. Another option is for me to externally clock my apogee quartet with the black lion audio mk3 xB clock. The only way to do it is with adat. Again, I went the best conversion and clock possible that work with my iPad and Mac.
why wouldn't you get whatever you like as a converter and go in digital to use the interface as simply a bridge?.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
weird... or kinda Brit, to just leave things as is . which is great with some analog things :},
but I think Prism could/should be in the conversation more often.. no personal reason, just an observation
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Prism is mostly used in two channel mastering and in hi-fi rigs. Their stuff sounds good but functions poorly as a tracking or general use interface. Prism the company can’t really be compared to antelope.
Are you not familiar with the Prism Dream ADA models?
They function very well for tracking as I've recorded quite a few orchestras with multiple units (24 - 36 mics at a time.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Are you not familiar with the Prism Dream ADA models?
They function very well for tracking as I've recorded quite a few orchestras with multiple units (24 - 36 mics at a time.)
I meant the USB stuff, not the awesome Dreams. The USB interfaces have a tendency to go haywire but sound good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

@ ardis good point I should have tried that instead. Just to confirm use the digital outs and ins via adat or spdif to lets say a cheaper interface such as scarlet right?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsol View Post
@ ardis good point I should have tried that instead. Just to confirm use the digital outs and ins via adat or spdif to lets say a cheaper interface such as scarlet right?
Yep! That's what I'd try. I actually bought a cheapish Tascam interface to do that, but gave it away before I could try it. Figure DI bypasses everything and you're using it just to get sound into the DAW. I'd get something that has a great stable interface. Figure if you use something like RME (very stable), it also may be useful for what it is in a pinch, and have resale value.....

I did kinda the same thing with my Korg D12 using it as a disc recorder and going DI. Worked great since bypassed pres and AD conversion....Modern stuff is usually pretty good as far as noise, especially if it's just a fancy patch bay!....wiser minds should weigh in here...

Good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search