The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sweetwater no longer carries Antelope Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What a strange situation where a manufacturer sends out an email explaining how they’re “parting ways” with a giant retailer.
I'm guessing Sweetwater kept the futon and the big-screen but Antelope took the dog.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Even if i did i could not tell you . !!!!
Kind of my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What a strange situation where a manufacturer sends out an email explaining how they’re “parting ways” with a giant retailer

Not good

#RMEthugLife
I though it was a little odd. Im a pretty early adopter of an Orion 32, and I think its a great piece. I also think, as a company they tried to piggyback off that success and did too many things. There a a bunch of threads here about driver issues, and other problems that make the company look overwhelmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm guessing Sweetwater kept the futon and the big-screen but Antelope took the dog.
Your comedic jabs are really on point lately!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I got burned by one of their previous companies Aardvark, so I guess I've got a couple fingers up in the air for them in general.
Old 1 week ago
I reckon the explanation is far, far simpler than some kind of dooms day scenario. Something like a simple change of terms and a disagreement over it. Sweetwater is still selling Antelope stuff online. Perhaps it was actually Antelope who slapped Sweetwater back in line?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I just talked to them a couple weeks ago and they were like these converters are great and everyone loves them. Now management decided not to carry their line anymore.

I wonder why? Could it be the other converter companies complained because their converter sales slowed down when the Orion series gear came out which offers so much more for a much lower price? I think most use the same chip and Antelope clocks have a great reputation.
They do sound fantastic, I am guessing it is the instability of the hardware/drivers as the main issues. My rep, who I really trust, told me they receive so many returns and recommended I use another item a while ago. I didn't listen though. They provided me a loaner while mine was in antelope's shop (for over 3 months) so at least I was up and working though. I currently have Goliath HD in one room and also had the Orion 32 HD model. (it's a long story lol)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
I reckon the explanation is far, far simpler than some kind of dooms day scenario. Something like a simple change of terms and a disagreement over it. Sweetwater is still selling Antelope stuff online. Perhaps it was actually Antelope who slapped Sweetwater back in line?
Going by what a different retailer told me a couple of months ago, the return rate due to hardware, firmware, driver and software related issues was very high. Particularly with their new Discrete line, but quite a few people I have spoken to have had issues with their other interfaces as well.

It seems that that rate got so high that Sweetwater is pulling the interfaces from their store. They likely don't want to damage their reputation by recommending interfaces that are plagued with various issues.

Antelope support was telling people who contacted them about issues (including myself, while providing evidence) that everything was working as intended.

It seems pretty clear that what Antelope think is acceptable performance, stability etc. does not line up with what consumers and retailers expect from such expensive, high-end interfaces.

The good news is that these issues can be fixed. I just hope that it is made a priority, done properly, and in a timely manner.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What I heard from a very reliable source is this:

Sweetwater were sending out a lot of brand new units as loaners to customers who had problems and had returned their Antelope interfaces.

Antelope were then so slow in fixing and returning the units to customers that Sweetwater ended up having to let the customers just keep the loaners and then had to sell the returns as used.

No wonder they parted ways with Antelope. Good riddance.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Antelope are just such a terrible company to deal with. Their drivers are buggy and support dies quickly as new units are smashed out.

They look good, sound good but I have had several show stopping issues with my Orion and dealing with them on an after sales level is such a horrible experience.

I won't go into the sharp practices and data protection issues that I had with Antelope but believe me, they are a corrupt and devious company. Steer clear.

I have spoken to several retailers re upgrading my Orion and they have all said the same thing. "these get returned very regularly. They sound good but are unreliable". Just what you want from and £2000 + converter

I have no doubt that SW got sick of their shocking customer support and failure rate resulting in a bin off, and fair play. Looks to me like antelope made the announcement so it appeared it was their decision. Damage limitation? They deserve to feel ashamed and equally to be exposed.

Once you've handed your money over, good luck.

Never, I repeat, NEVER again!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I just talked to them a couple weeks ago and they were like these converters are great and everyone loves them. Now management decided not to carry their line anymore...
Was a mention made to when they're not officially planning on stocking Antelope Audio?

Antelope is still available on their site without any mention of no longer being a supplier.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRevMFB View Post
Was a mention made to when they're not officially planning on stocking Antelope Audio?

Antelope is still available on their site without any mention of no longer being a supplier.
I don't think there was a mention of when, it seemed like an 'effective immediately' type thing but maybe they are just getting rid of the current stock.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If a particular company are jerks to deal with on any level and/or do not stand behind their products 100%,

Sweetwater will drop them and rightfully so.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No indication of that on the Sweetwater site. Who sent you the email?
Antelope. I have their stuff so I`m on their mailing list.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I`ve had zero problems with any Antelope products. They continually update the firmware/software and they are rock solid, for me anyways.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
I`ve had zero problems with any Antelope products. They continually update the firmware/software and they are rock solid, for me anyways.
My original Orion just hums along, day in and day out.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Antelope is definitely too far behind in stability and support. Years dealing with RME and never had an issue besides the learning curve of TotalMIX (which Mattias actually assisted me with).

Not even a day after receiving a Discrete 8 I had hardware issues with the unit randomly shutting off and an extremely noisy talkback mic. Had to wait until the following Monday to get in contact with support and their only response was to either wait a couple weeks to a month for a PSU or just keep it because as they stated "it sounds really good".. Called Sweetwater and they shipped me a replacement the following day.

The new unit? Worked ok for a few weeks then the Edge mic began to distort so intense I could no longer hear the artist. Sent the Mic back to Sweetwater, when I get a new Edge replacement the Discrete began to randomly lower the right output signal by 3-4db and the Edge mic started distorting after 30-45 minutes of use again. Obviously an issue with hardware so I call Sweetwater and they tell me to reach out directly to Antelope support as they suspect I may have issues with the following units as well or they can give me a refund. Almost two weeks going back and forth with Antelope support with 0 help. They offered me another PSU (seems like their anwer for everything) or send them the unit for repair which could take anywhere from 1-4 months, without a replacement in the meantime! I put up $1300 (purchased just a little while before they raised their prices) for the discrete and $900 for the Edge, thanks for your support.

What really puts the icing on the cake are the fanboy hype mans of the brand. I assisted users with issues on the facebook group and when users began to post about the sweetwater break up and how they believe it is related to their support and failing devices I agreed and expressed my concerns with facts to back them up and how RME still had fully functioning and updated devices 10+ years later. I was removed from the page and the admin who banned me also blocked me after he said $2600 for an interface is nothing and users should get over losing out on such an investment. Pretty much as long as one of their products works for one person out of 100 all the devices and everything is working as expected......

Don't get me wrong I really do love the sound of my discrete and edge (when it worked) but as I've said countless times before there is much more to an interface than sonic quality, if you can't rely on this high end piece of gear when a client is on the clock then it is useless.
Old 4 days ago
legacybeats413, I wondered if you had just left the group or you had been banned for being vocally critical. I guess now I know.

I was threatened with a ban unless I stopped 'bashing' the Antelope brand. I told them that I didn't care and could continue the discussion here, or elsewhere, freely, without censorship, then left the group myself because I was tired of the needless drama.

I rejoined the group when the Thunderbolt drivers for Windows went into beta because I wanted to keep track of that, but have kept fairly quiet.

The admin you are referring to is doing the Antelope brand no favours at all. There are others there as well who it turned out work (or work freelance) for Antelope, who were jumping on and basically bullying anyone that was being critical into silence while also denying that there were any problems at all.

This is the end result of that.

I have an Antelope interface (Zen Tour), and it sounds great, but the USB drivers (Windows) are borderline trash and each firmware update introduces random bugs and instability. Hard for me to recommend despite the quality of the conversion, preamps, effects etc.
There is no way to just download the drivers and control panel and install them and be done with it like you would expect (and be used to) from pretty much every other audio interface manufacturer.

My main fear is that if Antelope go under they will take everyone's interfaces with them.
For some reason their control panel is tied to their launcher, which is tied to their servers, and if their servers are offline, no one can install the control panel that controls the effects, preamps, routing etc.

This happened not long ago when Antelope migrated their servers and no one could update their devices/control panel for about 3 days, leaving them with no way to install their new audio interface or update the existing control panel that threw up a big notice that it was no longer supported...

I don't know what they are thinking, but besides the driver and control panel, there is no need for Antelope invading my system the way that they are. It seems increasingly invasive to me.

Sorry for the long rant. This crap is what happens when a company only pays attention to the 'yes men' and ignores the genuinely constructive feedback.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
... the USB drivers (Windows) are borderline trash and each firmware update introduces random bugs and instability. Hard for me to recommend despite the quality of the conversion, preamps, effects etc...
I've never owned any Antelope gear.

But I had an interface I was using for extra PT I/O via ADAT, and it sounded great but it would occasionally spit out a clocking tick. When I realized I was keeping at least half an ear cocked for that all the time and it was diverting my attention, I ripped it out and literally chucked it out the back door.

Such a relief.

Point being that Antelope needs to realize, I think, that some people like me are constitutionally intolerant of instability, or even the possibility of it. Doesn't matter how good the thing sounds when it works.
Old 4 days ago
Correct. Stability and reliability are king.

The TB drivers for Windows are proving to be a massive improvement over the USB. I am getting as low as 0.7ms RTL (0.9ms RTL while tracking through Slate VMR and Soundtoys LittlePlate).
That driver is still in beta though and currently has no Windows audio, only ASIO.

The USB driver is an older, generic Theyscon driver that Antelope support have previously made continual excuses for, which you can read over in the Zen Tour thread by looking back through my posts there. That was when they first started to really rub me up the wrong way.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
My original Orion just hums along, day in and day out.
Yup, the old one and the new one. They are great IMO.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacybeats413 View Post
Antelope is definitely too far behind in stability and support. Years dealing with RME and never had an issue besides the learning curve of TotalMIX (which Mattias actually assisted me with).

Not even a day after receiving a Discrete 8 I had hardware issues with the unit randomly shutting off and an extremely noisy talkback mic. Had to wait until the following Monday to get in contact with support and their only response was to either wait a couple weeks to a month for a PSU or just keep it because as they stated "it sounds really good".. Called Sweetwater and they shipped me a replacement the following day.

The new unit? Worked ok for a few weeks then the Edge mic began to distort so intense I could no longer hear the artist. Sent the Mic back to Sweetwater, when I get a new Edge replacement the Discrete began to randomly lower the right output signal by 3-4db and the Edge mic started distorting after 30-45 minutes of use again. Obviously an issue with hardware so I call Sweetwater and they tell me to reach out directly to Antelope support as they suspect I may have issues with the following units as well or they can give me a refund. Almost two weeks going back and forth with Antelope support with 0 help. They offered me another PSU (seems like their anwer for everything) or send them the unit for repair which could take anywhere from 1-4 months, without a replacement in the meantime! I put up $1300 (purchased just a little while before they raised their prices) for the discrete and $900 for the Edge, thanks for your support.

What really puts the icing on the cake are the fanboy hype mans of the brand. I assisted users with issues on the facebook group and when users began to post about the sweetwater break up and how they believe it is related to their support and failing devices I agreed and expressed my concerns with facts to back them up and how RME still had fully functioning and updated devices 10+ years later. I was removed from the page and the admin who banned me also blocked me after he said $2600 for an interface is nothing and users should get over losing out on such an investment. Pretty much as long as one of their products works for one person out of 100 all the devices and everything is working as expected......

Don't get me wrong I really do love the sound of my discrete and edge (when it worked) but as I've said countless times before there is much more to an interface than sonic quality, if you can't rely on this high end piece of gear when a client is on the clock then it is useless.
I guess it`s one of those YMMV things. I`m sorry all that happened to you, nothing is more frustrating as not being able to work because of a piece of gear. I hope they don`t just drop off, if they do I`ll just get an Aurora or Burl I suppose.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
I doubt that...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Big (and small) retailers cannot stand credit card chargebacks and terminal returns... you’d better believe that SW knows to the decimal point the failure rate for various items that they stock... high failures mean returns, mean unhappy customers and extra labor for SW.

Before I went all in with rme I tried a lot of units... I didn’t try antelope because a few (4) of my pals that I personally know and trust all had issues... that didn’t mean that I would have had issues if I’d purchased one... BUT... user error and acts of God aside, I need all of my stuff as least as reliable as an sm57

Creativity is too fleeting to waste that time waiting for the digital equivalent of my engine popping off its mount
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My main fear is that if Antelope go under they will take everyone's interfaces with them.
For some reason their control panel is tied to their launcher, which is tied to their servers, and if their servers are offline, no one can install the control panel that controls the effects, preamps, routing etc.

This happened not long ago when Antelope migrated their servers and no one could update their devices/control panel for about 3 days, leaving them with no way to install their new audio interface or update the existing control panel that threw up a big notice that it was no longer supported...

I don't know what they are thinking, but besides the driver and control panel, there is no need for Antelope invading my system the way that they are. It seems increasingly invasive to me.
Holy crap

My only experience with Antelope was using a friend's original Orion for awhile. Thought it sounded somewhat clinical in a way I didn't like but YMMV.

...but seriously...what are they thinking?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Yup, the old one and the new one. They are great IMO.
I feel like Antelope tried too hard to cram too many things into the world too quickly. I think they put things into the world before it was ready a few different time. The Orion is a strong product, and instead of supporting if fully, and making sure the next things was right before release, they kept releasing "close but not quite there" things and I believe its hurt them.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I feel like Antelope tried too hard to cram too many things into the world too quickly. I think they put things into the world before it was ready a few different time. The Orion is a strong product, and instead of supporting if fully, and making sure the next things was right before release, they kept releasing "close but not quite there" things and I believe its hurt them.
Going by the marketing, I believe that Antelope rushed the Discrete line and their mics to market to directly compete with the Slate VMS and VRS8 and beat Slate to the market. It appears to have backfired. A lot of Discrete users ended up feeling like beta testers.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Going by the marketing, I believe that Antelope rushed the Discrete line and their mics to market to directly compete with the Slate VMS and VRS8 and beat Slate to the market. It appears to have backfired. A lot of Discrete users ended up feeling like beta testers.
And that is one of the worst things a technology company do. The have tarnished a good reputation. They could have set a bar for performance and affordability, could have been the ones to watch. I fear that when I need to upgrade my computer I'm going to be left in the dust and have to buy converters.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
When it comes to drywalling, I just want the superpower that makes invisible joints. That's gotta be an easy-to-achieve superpower... right?
Use a 20" plaster trowel instead of a taping knife (which is used to apply the compound, while the trowel is rammed tight at a 25-30 degree angle, to smooth the compound level with the wallboard) which bends into a concave shape.

A good trowel is long and slim, with no flex tip to end, and the blade's thickness is tapered a bit like a knife, where it's stiff at the center, becomming somewhat flexible at the very edges.

Now for Sweetwater...
They have cut back on a lot of product as of the last two years.

Have a look at their microphone selection, or the mic preamp selection.

Not nearly as broad as in the past, though at one point it seemed they were starting to carry a large selection of very fine microphones, that would continue to grow.

Vintage King, Atlas Pro, Zen Pro carry good mic selections high end processing choices abound.

Sweetwater do have a huge selection of goodies, and are certainly a place to shop for some things, without a doubt.

I had hoped they were going to continue growing the recording end of it.

Last edited by pultech; 1 day ago at 03:36 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I have a Goliath that I purchased from Sweetwater. The first one I got the preamps would go in and out on me, working one day but not the next. At first I thought maybe it was user error because I was just learning how to use the interface. One day they'd work, but then if I turned the unit off and then back on the next day, - nothing. I was checking mic cables and my signal chain not knowing what the problem was. Called Sweetwater and they sent me out a replacement the next day. Luckily that unit worked fine and I've been using it ever since without (knock on wood) any problems. Overall I love the silkiness of the sound and the unit itself seems very well made. My guess is most of Antelope's issues are due to firmware. Since about mid June I've been getting a pop-up to upgrade my firmware but I've steadfastly ignored it so far. I'm scared to death if I update the unit will brick on me and at this point even Sweetwater won't come to my rescue. Once the Thunderbolt driver gets out of beta I'm definitely going to want to upgrade, but until then I'm fine just having the unit working as is.

I have no doubt the reason Sweetwater and Antelope parted ways has something to do with the return rate on the equipment. I'm sure the conversation went something like; Antelope: Stop replacing all these units, just tell the customer to send it for repair! Sweetwater: If we do that we're going to lose customers and it will look like we're not backing the products we sell! Antelope: We're not crediting you for these units! Sweetwater: Fine, F*** off!

It's interesting also that Guitar Center is now going to be carrying Antelope, - so apparently there's a twist to the story. I recently got an email from a guy at Guitar Center telling me he is now my customer rep which is something GC never had in the past! - Just like Sweetwater. Gee-wiz, what a coincidence! My guess is that Guitar Center has promised Antelope a reduced return rate and they will work with Antelope's support instead of replacing units. GC has nothing to lose at this point since it's been rumored they're on the verge of going out of business this year. - A list ditch effort as it were...

Sad thing is I really, really like my Goliath, but Antelope's support scares me.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiMark View Post
Sad thing is I really, really like my Goliath, but Antelope's support scares me.
I feel your pain, I'm on my 2nd faulty Discrete 8 and Edge.

My Sweetwater rep prefers to give me my money back, the fail rate on the Discrete and Edge line is worst than we could imagine and he thinks I should try getting a replacement directly from Antelope.

Problem is they have completely stopped replying to my emails.. I'll try calling again tomorrow but I'm sure they will just keep offering me a PSU.....

There's also quite a few 'neo-****s' that stand behind the brand in a very un-flattering way, be careful voicing any concerns as it may result in some excessive unnecessary backlash.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search