The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Japanese inflating hardware used synth prices
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear
The gear that's available in Japan does seem to generally be in better condition. Maybe that accounts for part of the difference?
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
That's a bunch of bull. These greedy idiots jack up their prices 4x what it's worth and NEVER bring the price down. There's stuff on my watch list that's been up for years and these inflated prices stay the same. I would love to buy some of the stuff these sellers are offering, but I refuse to pay 4x what it's worth. If these people really want to sell what they have, they need to be more reasonable in regard to price.

Does the thought ever occur to them "Gee, my item has been on eBay for five years and nobody is buying. Maybe I should lower the price."

Pure greed. That's all it comes down to. I really wish eBay would just get rid of the buy it now option and go back to auction only.
Interesting. it could be inflating prices on something so others that don't seem too high get bought... still above average.

My thought is more for those in the US who suddenly want to sell a synth, check eBay for whats going for and see those big than normal prices due to the Japan stores including "free shipping" on one item or having a $90 shipping fee on another lowered priced. so in average the price is way above than it should be.

I do agree there should be only auctions on eBay or that it should like amazon. or a way its separate it clearly.
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
The gear that's available in Japan does seem to generally be in better condition. Maybe that accounts for part of the difference?
its definitely a better presentation than a lot of user images.

the price difference is the "free shipping" but add 100 more to the price. and then us sellers are like "oh.. thats how much it costs, ill sell it for a few bucks less" and still the price is almost double than normal.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

I usually don't look at what's on sale now, I look at what has sold recently

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ftrv=1&_sop=13
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
That's a bunch of bull. These greedy idiots jack up their prices 4x what it's worth and NEVER bring the price down. There's stuff on my watch list that's been up for years and these inflated prices stay the same. I would love to buy some of the stuff these sellers are offering, but I refuse to pay 4x what it's worth. If these people really want to sell what they have, they need to be more reasonable in regard to price.

Does the thought ever occur to them "Gee, my item has been on eBay for five years and nobody is buying. Maybe I should lower the price."

Pure greed. That's all it comes down to. I really wish eBay would just get rid of the buy it now option and go back to auction only.
Nothing you wrote contradicts my point.
I'm afraid the seller's right to set prices trumps any sense of entitlement to cheaper goods that you may have. If they are happy to let an item just sit there, that is their perogative too.

You are completely within your rights to complain about it, but you can't force change on a free system.
Old 29th May 2018
Couple of thoughts here. I don’t feel too much one way or another about armens but if you avoid the hot ticket items(sp-1200,etc). His prices didn’t look all that bad last time I browsed his selection. I went back and read his google reviews and in the early to mid 2000s he was well regarded (or the reviews were ‘cleansed’). Somehow he cornered the market on sp1200s and is cashing in.

As for cultural appropriation- I don’t understand what is so bad about seeing something you like about another culture and letting it influence your work/life. Isn’t that the point of travel/music/art?

I’ve done quite a bit of buying and selling on my reverb shop. Im a big fan of how for the most part, they’ve created a low friction relatively transparent market. They show selling and price trends so you can see what the “market” is doing. Things get hot and prices go up. It really just takes an interview or song to make it happen. If you’re patient you can usually find what you want for cheap. The thing about musicians is they’re usually broke and they usually flip gear to chase the sound they’re after. Heck I even bought something off of mobys shop for a discount.

Last edited by S_A_P; 29th May 2018 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Errant comma strikes again
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

So the issue is that REVERB does not include or account shipping prices on their history for transaction history.

So Japanese store or other international stores will sell a synth at $200 and charge $100 for shipping. Then another add by another suspecious japanese stores (or other international) sells the same synth at $300 free shipping.

well, guess what?

Now if someone who is just a newbie buys the $300 synth it will show up as that synth costs $300 bucks.

A few times and then you get an upward trend in prices. Someone else comes along and googles price of X synth and sees.. oh.. $300, cool , ill sell it for that price. plus shipping $30. then keeps going with the japanese selling it at $300 plus $100 shipping or $400 with free shipping.
and so on.
just an examples of course and numbers are all over the places. but gives an idea how poeple can fuk with the history but Reverb stil ends up winning at the end.

so the issue is not really those japanese folks, its REVERBS way of noting transactional history and not including shipping.. or a way to ensure shipping is not included in pricing or something along those lines where poeple do wierd crap with shipping fees.
Old 30th July 2020
It seems like a lot of synth players want to buy synths for little or no $$$. There are a lot of posts on the "moan zone" about this. I guess it comes down to supply and demand. When I sold off my synths in the 1980's I got very little money for them but that was before the days of Ebay and Reverb. Today I guess I would get a lot more. Back then I took out ads in "Scene" magazine and in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and got a few offers none of them what I was expecting. I finally sold off the synths to the highest bidder but it was far below what I thought I would get. Today some of the "rarer" synths are worth a lot of money because there are very few of them left and they have developed a "cult" following. I guess if you don't want to pay the price then you will not get what you want, seems simple enough to me. FWIW
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
It seems like a lot of synth players want to buy synths for little or no $$$. There are a lot of posts on the "moan zone" about this. I guess it comes down to supply and demand. When I sold off my synths in the 1980's I got very little money for them but that was before the days of Ebay and Reverb. Today I guess I would get a lot more. Back then I took out ads in "Scene" magazine and in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and got a few offers none of them what I was expecting. I finally sold off the synths to the highest bidder but it was far below what I thought I would get. Today some of the "rarer" synths are worth a lot of money because there are very few of them left and they have developed a "cult" following. I guess if you don't want to pay the price then you will not get what you want, seems simple enough to me. FWIW
I sold my synths, I'm pretty fed up with synth nerds and it's scene. Couldn't stand the elitism anymore. Way too many cheapskates who want everything for free. I bought a guitar and now I'm making actual music instead of blips blops and synthwave crap.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear