The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Was Protools a deal breaker because of the Ilock hanging off laptop like an Xtra Limb DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Was Protools a deal breaker because of the Ilock hanging off laptop like an Xtra Limb

Protools Ilock is to Iphone no 1/8 inch jack so you need a break away cable for an F-ing phone? F that!

I was ready to get Pro tools but with the new MAC laptops at least, you have to have a break away cable AND the stupid Ilock attached swinging from your laptop.

What the F is that?

What year is it? We put a man on the moon And got him back in 1964 and I have to get a break away cable and USB piece of crap to dangle from my laptop to use software?

You gotta be kidding Protools. I'll pass just based on that and if everyone did the same thing as me they would cut that crap out right away.

The problem is too many people just bend over and ask to be corn holed and like it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Apple is doing has been doing some really dumb thinks recently.

No DVD drive
No headphone jack on their cell phones
OS version 10.13 restricts what you can download and what you can install on THEIR computers. Gee I thought that when I purchased something it became MY computer.

I love Apple for so many things but lately it seems as all they are trying to do is pi$$ off the consumer.

FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
We put a man on the moon And got him back in 1964
Let's see. Apollo 11 goes to moon in 1969 and comes back in 1964...Wow! OK

We almost lost Apollo 13 because the ILOK fell out on launch...

Anybody else?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Let's see. Apollo 11 goes to moon in 1969 and comes back in 1964...Wow! OK

We almost lost Apollo 13 because the ILOK fell out on launch...

Anybody else?

Ok I pushed 4 instead of 9 on my laptop but thats because the iLok weighed me down.

Its still a deal breaker for me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok I pushed 4 instead of 9 on my laptop but thats because the iLok weighed me down.

Its still a deal breaker for me
Well...not sure about you but it was one of the very few times that my dad would let us even turn on the TV in our house. I remember it vividly.

I don't like ILOK much either, but not for the same reason as you. It's been too maintenance crazy, unlike my eLicenser.

Right now I'm facing a possible fresh install do to the latest Win 10 update and I gotta say the thought of digging up all the serials for my software, or revalidating through the various websites with their various schemes, horrifies me. I know that with my eLicenser that part is not necessary. Just reinstall and I'm licensed.

The ILOK? I'm not so sure. But if it worked like the Steiny stick it'd be a piece 'o cake.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The day you can plug the dongle into a router that has a USB port, which most do these days - I'll get an iLok dongle and be very happy doing so.

I think it would be safer about theft because routers are out of the way anyway, up high. So any computer on the LAN would be able to work at a time, just like the other way of licensing to computers works.

Also one more feature, if your iLok device failed to activate (your IOS is two neighbors over, out of range), have a bit of time that's allowable where you could still use it for a while before connection is mandatory.

But the world of items without iLok is also very nice - I can make sense of two computers with the license and do without the dongle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
The day you can plug the dongle into a router that has a USB port, which most do these days - I'll get an iLok dongle and be very happy doing so.

I think it would be safer about theft because routers are out of the way anyway, up high. So any computer on the LAN would be able to work at a time, just like the other way of licensing to computers works.

Also one more feature, if your iLok device failed to activate (your IOS is two neighbors over, out of range), have a bit of time that's allowable where you could still use it for a while before connection is mandatory.

But the world of items without iLok is also very nice - I can make sense of two computers with the license and do without the dongle.
That'd be awesome. Two problems I can see. One is that it'd allow you to give a copy to your neighbors if they can see your wireless and you give them access (not a very likely scenario, I know.) The other is that every router USB I've used for a shared drive requires a login (which the dongle maker could fix in software.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
That'd be awesome. Two problems I can see. One is that it'd allow you to give a copy to your neighbors if they can see your wireless and you give them access (not a very likely scenario, I know.) The other is that every router USB I've used for a shared drive requires a login (which the dongle maker could fix in software.)
I could brainstorm more good ideas, but for now I'll use the two account scheme on my two favorite computers, and where possible sample my iLok synths in case of failure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
but for now I'll use the two account scheme on my two favorite computers
Which is exactly what I would do with my eLicenser. I only have one license on my ILOK which I can live without. Been avoiding others since that first experience.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Protools Ilock is to Iphone no 1/8 inch jack so you need a break away cable for an F-ing phone? F that!

I was ready to get Pro tools but with the new MAC laptops at least, you have to have a break away cable AND the stupid Ilock attached swinging from your laptop.

What the F is that?

What year is it? We put a man on the moon And got him back in 1964 and I have to get a break away cable and USB piece of crap to dangle from my laptop to use software?

You gotta be kidding Protools. I'll pass just based on that and if everyone did the same thing as me they would cut that crap out right away.

The problem is too many people just bend over and ask to be corn holed and like it
My main issue with the new Macs is that the adaptor doesn’t come in the box.

I’m all for progress, and once everything is either usbc or Tb3 it’ll be very good! But in the meantime...I bought a satechi hub that was just over $100, and a couple of TB adaptors..that gave me 3 USB ports, Ethernet, hdmi and card readers - more than the old style MacBook Pro.

And - the iLok is not sticking out of the computer anymore!

I’m not 100% sure but most manufacturers are now letting you authorise to hard disk using the iLok app - I have a feeling you can do this with PT now (I could be wrong). If so - your moan is nullified!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
My main issue with the new Macs is that the adaptor doesn’t come in the box.

I’m all for progress, and once everything is either usbc or Tb3 it’ll be very good! But in the meantime...I bought a satechi hub that was just over $100, and a couple of TB adaptors..that gave me 3 USB ports, Ethernet, hdmi and card readers - more than the old style MacBook Pro.

And - the iLok is not sticking out of the computer anymore!

I’m not 100% sure but most manufacturers are now letting you authorise to hard disk using the iLok app - I have a feeling you can do this with PT now (I could be wrong). If so - your moan is nullified!
Im 100% musician 0% computer guy so to be honest I have no idea how you where able to have the ilok not dangle out of your laptop. By the way does that mean you have to be in the same room as your hub thing?
Can you travel without it?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Im 100% musician 0% computer guy so to be honest I have no idea how you where able to have the ilok not dangle out of your laptop. By the way does that mean you have to be in the same room as your hub thing?
Can you travel without it?
couple of different things here.

- the iLok software now lets you authorise a lot of plugins to the hard disk itself - you don't need a physical ilok. In that case you don't need a hub or an ilok at all.

- my little hub does dangle yes, but it doesn't stick out like a USB ilok in a port - so it's actually less prone to damage (I'd always connect my ilok via a hub for that reason).

- no you can't travel without it. It's still a connected hub/adaptor thing.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. I suppose instead of marveling at the tremendous advances mankind has made technologically we can whine about a piece of plastic smaller than a thumb.

I believe the term is "First World Problems".

Quote:
I think the problem is that too many people just stole the software without paying for it (or however you want to phrase it), and Digidesign/Avid decided to protect it all using iLok.

If people hadn't been so cheap and just paid for whatever they used we wouldn't have been in this spot.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search