The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electronic music in the age of entitlement
Old 23rd March 2018
Electronic music in the age of entitlement

I’m not going to pretend anybody here likes me.
In fact I’m gonna give lots of people here reason to hate me...

Yes you little pricks, this is for you!
Oh my Boog has bad pitch bend through USB....
I’m gonna roast the company over the coals online until i get my pennies worth!
Oh God my Octatrack can’t play chords...
Please help, my DAW can’t sync to sh|t!

Meanwhile back in the late 1980s-1990s, oh hey my MG-1 makes a different sound every time I turn it on and is never in tune.
Oh well use it anyways because nobody is going to give a crap anyway.
Damn that Roland R8 says memory full when i try to save new pattern 58 even though it is supposed to have memory for 100 patterns and now I have to spend an entire weeks pay for a new memory card.
Damn my Casio FZ-1 rotates its voices through its individual outputs randomly making them almost useless for recording anything. And the disc drive takes Forever to load 30 seconds of samples!

And with these very insurmountable technological detriments extremely freaking cool music came to life.

Back then if you could afford the technology you learned to live with it’s failings. And those failings lead to innovation regardless.
Like cavemen facing the ice age innovators overcame and survived or otherwise froze or starved to death. There wasn’t a choice.

Fast forward to now.
You can make postings on a web forum that manufacturers actually participate with. You can get some measure of attention to your gripes and legitimate complaints one way or another. There’s amazing instruments even a gas station clerk can afford without having to save up for years.

Yet... all the whining and crying and addressing from manufacturers and affordable instruments we somehow don’t see anything as musically innovative as what was regularly produced 30 years ago despite the neglect and crappy capabilities of gear in that era.

WTF?

You young people are smart and driven. I know because I work with you every day at my job. But sometimes I think something has sucked out your imagination like the bugs in Starship Troopers.
Why the f**k can’t you make electronic that’s better than the crap we made 30 years ago?

I think it’s because you’re a bunch of entitled little brats who can’t move beyond the cozy little certainties your parental units programmed you with just to shut you up when you were little snot gobblers they couldn’t be bothered with.

I think you little f**kers need some of your options taken away.
Y’all need to step away from the computer, for real, then go back to the basics of 4 track tape (or some modern equivalent) and stop bitching about your pennies to the manufacturers and focus on what you can actually f**king do with what you got.

Think I’m an old prick? That’s fine by me.
Think you’re better than me? That’s fine too, now prove it.
Many of you are that badass and more talented than I ever hoped to be. My hats off to you.
But the rest, what’s the excuse?

You got it all on a silver spoon and yet the garbage that results is just sickening.

YOU CAN DO BETTER!
Stop being whiny little bitches and make the most of what you got! Limitations are a caveman’s best friend. They made him expand his mind. And that expansion allowed him to survive the ice age.
We’re in an ice age again. A musical ice age. Expand your f**king minds!
Old 23rd March 2018
I’m sure many are wondering who am I to judge.
I’m someone who’s listened to 30 years more music than you and find it continuously lacking.

Step up and prove me wrong!
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Nut

Cool thread, bro
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I’m sure many are wondering who am I to judge.
I’m someone who’s listened to 30 years more music than you and find it continuously lacking.

Step up and prove me wrong!
I like you. I'm sure we've had many arguments before, but its good to have a proper rant, eh? That was a good one.

Fukking hate entitlement too.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Have you tried Prozac?
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
I like you. I'm sure we've had many arguments before, but its good to have a proper rant, eh? That was a good one.

Fukking hate entitlement too.
The status quo needs a kick in the rear here and there. Call it a rant if you like but something is very amiss considering the affordable and capable technology that apparently just results in more and more aural regurgitation
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripp2k View Post
Cool thread, bro
Total copout
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Have you tried Prozac?
Have you?
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Bogus! Major bogosity, even.
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
Bogus! Major bogosity, even.
Thank you sir, or maam
Old 23rd March 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
I'm with ya, brother.

On a lighter note, made me think of this.

Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Nut

But if everything were simply accepted, there would never be any progress.
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
I'm with ya, brother.

On a lighter note, made me think of this.

Nice one!
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benskia View Post
But if everything were simply accepted, there would never be any progress.
The progress came and went.
That’s my point. Thanks for making it for me
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Half 'Kids these days!' And half deification of shortcomings of the past as a force of mystical innovation. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.....

Unless you intended it to come across differently?
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
Half 'Kids these days!' And half deification of shortcomings of the past as a force of mystical innovation. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.....

Unless you intended it to come across differently?
You got it in one. Uphill, snow both ways.
Ok phone battery dead but I’ll be back tomorrow.

It’s not all about the obstacles it’s about the lack of them not helping the situation.
Old 23rd March 2018
FYI: I spend alot of time scouring the net for new music for the Industrial thread. I post alot of good stuff there. But it’s like 5 % of everything I listen to. Genre distinctions aside that’s a pretty sad number. I listen to ALOT of stuff besides and it’s pretty much the same.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

I've always liked your style.

I'm in my 20's but 30 is only months off. I did my best work with a Teac 4 track and Revox A77 in my late teens.

Now I don't have the time to smoke and play music like back then. I don't blame the tools, I had fk all back then but life was more exciting. Now life is more about wondering which old dog is gonna stab me in the back at work tomorrow because I make it look too easy.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Head

loved your rant! a tough-love reality check, sort of like Ricky Gervais bashing talentless celebritards, “the emperor has no clothes” wake up call.

Last edited by darksynth; 27th March 2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksynth View Post
loved your rant! a tough-love reality check,
Same here.

Watching the TR8s thread confirmed my opinion to be honest.
Instead of posts highlighting new tracks made with the machine, or videos, there seemed to be a rush for the first person to find the most egregious bug. And this involving unreal musical behaviour, like shoving all the faders up and down as quickly as possible with a straight piece of wood.

Out in the real world, real musicians are already making music with it (and all the other flawed synths).
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Meanwhile back in the late 1980s-1990s, oh hey my MG-1 makes a different sound every time I turn it on and is never in tune.
Damn that Roland R8 says memory full when i try to save new pattern 58 even though it is supposed to have memory for 100 patterns and now I have to spend an entire weeks pay for a new memory card.
Damn my Casio FZ-1 rotates its voices through its individual outputs randomly making them almost useless for recording anything. And the disc drive takes Forever to load 30 seconds of samples!
The internet gives a voice to anyone that wants to complain about anything but that doesn't mean there are more people complaining about these kinds of things now than there were then. It is just, like many things, amplified by the technology.
You obviously had many grievances about the gear you were using then (after all you can still recite all of your hangups after all these years) and I'm sure you would complain about all of these things to those in your social circle. Today people have their social circles online. Big ****ing deal.
Quote:
And with these very insurmountable technological detriments extremely freaking cool music came to life.

Back then if you could afford the technology you learned to live with it’s failings. And those failings lead to innovation regardless.
Like cavemen facing the ice age innovators overcame and survived or otherwise froze or starved to death. There wasn’t a choice.
This is true (although it's ultimately still true today but on a different level).
Quote:
Fast forward to now.
You can make postings on a web forum that manufacturers actually participate with. You can get some measure of attention to your gripes and legitimate complaints one way or another. There’s amazing instruments even a gas station clerk can afford without having to save up for years.
And those are good things right?
Quote:
Yet... all the whining and crying and addressing from manufacturers and affordable instruments we somehow don’t see anything as musically innovative as what was regularly produced 30 years ago despite the neglect and crappy capabilities of gear in that era.

WTF?
I'm sorry but this is were you lose all credibility. It's the same old story around here. My generation was superior because bla, bla, bla.
The people who came of age 50 years ago would say the same thing about your generation. In fact your generation was particularly reviled by those that came before you and after you. Time has passed and now nostalgia has painted that era to be desirable. It's so perfectly cyclical that it's predictable. Music to certain degree is closely related to fashion. It's about trends. It's about reactions to and revolutions against what came before. There is in one sense an evolutionary arc but there is also a tearing down of previous idols.
I'm sorry to tell you this but your sense of generational superiority is unwarranted.
I love how the big criticism of the current generation (whichever one it may be at the moment) is always that "they think they are so special," and the argument is always, "no, we were the ones that were special." For God's sake isn't that a form of entitlement!
Quote:
You young people are smart and driven. I know because I work with you every day at my job. But sometimes I think something has sucked out your imagination like the bugs in Starship Troopers.
Why the f**k can’t you make electronic that’s better than the crap we made 30 years ago?
I am not here to defend the current generation and I am especially not going to defend their electronic music. Sadly, I think the vast majority of people are quite happy to be as ignorant and selfish as possible, and for that matter the vast majority of music produced is simplistic drivel (those two things being related if you take the time to think about it). The important point is that these things are true of all generations.
Here's some thing you have to understand. As you start to get older, it becomes more and more impossible to truly understand and identify with youth culture. You do not share the experiences they do. You are not influenced by this moment in the way they are. As a result it is fundamentally impossible for you to understand why the trends that they develop and adhere to are important to them. It was equally true for your parents generation when they were struggling to understand why everyone wanted to make "synthetic music" with those gawdawful synthesizers! And why for that matter anyone would ever want to use a drum machine instead of a real live drummer!
As you age, you should be focused on refining your own talents and developing your own discipline beyond what it was in your naive (yet energetic and powerful) youth. You really shouldn't be concerned and bitter about the direction of youth culture (which you by definition can no longer contribute directly to).
Quote:
I think it’s because you’re a bunch of entitled little brats who can’t move beyond the cozy little certainties your parental units programmed you with just to shut you up when you were little snot gobblers they couldn’t be bothered with.

Y’all need to step away from the computer, for real, then go back to the basics of 4 track tape (or some modern equivalent) and stop bitching about your pennies to the manufacturers and focus on what you can actually f**king do with what you got.

Many of you are that badass and more talented than I ever hoped to be. My hats off to you.

You got it all on a silver spoon and yet the garbage that results is just sickening.

YOU CAN DO BETTER!
Stop being whiny little bitches and make the most of what you got! Limitations are a caveman’s best friend. They made him expand his mind. And that expansion allowed him to survive the ice age.
I really can't comment on the rest of the bitterness here. I know you are trying to give it positive spin at the end but seriously if you are so concerned about these wayward young people, why don't you find one or more to mentor? It's easy to dis,miss an entire generation but I think it would be a lot more valuable to be a positive influence and a source of wisdom.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Nut
It’s noise to signal ratio, of which the original post is one. You have to cut through the noise. It’s just Internet forum static. Not reality. Not emblematic of anything other than noise.
Old 23rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
It's easy to dis,miss an entire generation but I think it would be a lot more valuable to be a positive influence and a source of wisdom.
For me it has nothing to do with age. Whether it's an 18 year old or a 48 year old. People have got into the habit of congratulating each other on being the first to find a flaw in any new product. The emphasis should be on congratulating each other on the best piece of music made with the product.
You look at Youtube, and even some of the vloggers, they have dozens of gear videos and no videos of their music.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
For me it has nothing to do with age. Whether it's an 18 year old or a 48 year old. People have got into the habit of congratulating each other on being the first to find a flaw in any new product. The emphasis should be on congratulating each other on the best piece of music made with the product.
You look at Youtube, and even some of the vloggers, they have dozens of gear videos and no videos of their music.
I even think some guys are buying gear just to make demo videos, seems there's a whole culture of just making tutorial videos, as soon as a new piece of kit is released they crammer to be the first to make a demo/tutorial video.

As for these people who look for bugs and can't wait to announce it to the world, seriously get a life.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now, about this one, if you have a wonky DAW then that is truely sh*t.
I don't mind slightly broken instruments because they give you creative options.
But a wonky DAW? That's good for nothing.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Now, about this one, if you have a wonky DAW then that is truely sh*t.
I don't mind slightly broken instruments because they give you creative options.
But a wonky DAW? That's good for nothing.
a wonky DAW will likely encourages the move toward a hardware-focused setup. less distraction, more creativity, a good outcome possibly.

Last edited by darksynth; 23rd March 2018 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 23rd March 2018
Pip
Lives for gear

Talent shows, were people can’t write, play or quite often sing. My biggest gripe as an oldie and music lover is the internet has actually made music more mainstream, crickey in the 70’s you could always hear stuff you hadn’t heard before. That and it’s devalued music to it being basically disposable and worthless. Generation x doesn’t in a lot of instance pay for music, tv, film so we can all work out were that’s going.
Old 23rd March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:

Fast forward to now.

WTF?

YOU CAN DO BETTER!
You know what's coming...
Attached Thumbnails
Electronic music in the age of entitlement-hes_right_you_know.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hallowed be thy keyboard.
Old 23rd March 2018
Deleted b598644
maybe if Gearslutz deleted itself, people would stop whining and start making music
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search