The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Everyday recently I get a call from "tech support"
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Everyday recently I get a call from "tech support"

The people who are behind these scams must be getting desperate. Everyday recently I have gotten a call from "internet tech support", "tech support", "Microsoft tech support" and "Your local internet provider tech support".

All of the callers have names like Ben or Michael or even "Robin" but they all have really thick Asian subcontinent accents and are all calling on really bad quality VOIP circuits. They all tell me that they need to have access to my computer to fix problem that are causing "massive problems" on the internet. "Your computer is polluting the internet" or "we have to have access to your computer to fix problems with your computer that are causing other computers to shut down" REALLY? Gee I had no idea. I usually tell them that this is a known scam and hang up. Yesterday the person on the other end got very upset when I told him that and said "how the f**k do you know that" at which point I hung up.

By now there are so many posting on the WWW about this scam that I am wondering why they keep it up?

I am also getting phone calls from "the women's march on cancer" which is a very cleverly done robotic call and the person starts off the conversation with "you are really hard to get a hold of, almost as hard as getting my husband to cook dinner" Then goes in to her spiel about me agreeing to help out and she will be sending me a packet of letters to be addressed and stamped and sent out to my friends and neighbors. When I try and interrupt this caller of course it is a robo call. This charity does not exist. The FTC should spend more time on getting these types of calls eliminated since they already know they are phony. I guess the FTC is "busy" with other things...
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

My dad got taken in by one of these scams, got a phone call from someone who claimed to be from microsoft, monitoring his computer and wanted to help him with a problem. They had him downloading and installing their software, but due to the anti-virus software, 40 minutes of his eager cooperation with them over the phone did not succeed in getting their rootkit installed. He mentioned it in an offhand way afterwards and I think he was concerned it wasn't quite legit. I explained that this sort of thing is never legit. People who are honest just don't imagine that people will try and con them.

I just got another phishing email that looks like a paypal transaction. Its not a transaction I authorized. I checked my paypal and no such transaction. (Never 'log into paypal' from a link in the email itself). At the bottom of the email is a button to 'cancel' the transaction. It leads to some non paypal web page doubtless filled with all sorts of malware. I did not click it.

Also, just got an email from an 'attorney' for an estate with a large sum of money to distribute alleging that since I had the same last name and their were no other heirs identified.... Well, just a variation on the Nigerian Spanish Prisoner* con.

My spam phone calls are from travel agencies recently. I will not answer the phone if its not someone on my contacts list anymore. If its important they can leave a message.

* The Spanish Prisoner is an age old con involving someone with lots of money who needs some outside help in leaving their country/getting out of jail, etc. They will split their millions of ill gotten gains with you, but you need to pony up some front money first. I call it Nigerian since the emails I have received inevitably involve a former Nigerian finance minister with tens of millions stolen from the national treasury who needs some help leaving the country.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Phone Sec. Practice it.

NObody gets my primary cell. Except bro, sis, maybe 5 close friends.

Everybody else gets the burner Minute Phone #.

Or, more likely...the burner Minute Phone #...minus 1.

;-)
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
My dad got taken in by one of these scams, got a phone call from someone who claimed to be from microsoft, monitoring his computer and wanted to help him with a problem. They had him downloading and installing their software, but due to the anti-virus software, 40 minutes of his eager cooperation with them over the phone did not succeed in getting their rootkit installed. He mentioned it in an offhand way afterwards and I think he was concerned it wasn't quite legit. I explained that this sort of thing is never legit. People who are honest just don't imagine that people will try and con them.

I just got another phishing email that looks like a paypal transaction. Its not a transaction I authorized. I checked my paypal and no such transaction. (Never 'log into paypal' from a link in the email itself). At the bottom of the email is a button to 'cancel' the transaction. It leads to some non paypal web page doubtless filled with all sorts of malware. I did not click it.

Also, just got an email from an 'attorney' for an estate with a large sum of money to distribute alleging that since I had the same last name and their were no other heirs identified.... Well, just a variation on the Nigerian Spanish Prisoner* con.

My spam phone calls are from travel agencies recently. I will not answer the phone if its not someone on my contacts list anymore. If its important they can leave a message.

* The Spanish Prisoner is an age old con involving someone with lots of money who needs some outside help in leaving their country/getting out of jail, etc. They will split their millions of ill gotten gains with you, but you need to pony up some front money first. I call it Nigerian since the emails I have received inevitably involve a former Nigerian finance minister with tens of millions stolen from the national treasury who needs some help leaving the country.
Recently, just before the holidays, I got a letter (a real physical mail it type letter) addressed to me from a person working at a bank in Canada. The sender said my last name was the same as one of their customers who had recently passed away. The "bank employee" said I could "claim the money (47 million dollars) since there were no heirs and we would "split it". Of course to seal the deal I had to but up some earnest money to "cover my costs and legal fees" All he wanted was $10,000 American and I could wire it to him or send it to him via Western Union. The letter was postmarked in Canada but when I went on line the bank was not real. I guess in this case the scam probably would have worked better before the days of the internet and fact checking.

The latest scam in my town is the call from someone in the Southwest (WHY?) or from overseas. The call goes something like this, "your <insert name of young relative preferably of high school or college age> has been jailed due to <insert reason from a traffic accident to drug dealing> I can arranged to get your <insert> out of jail and not have it show up on <his/her> record. I will need $4000 to $7000 to do this. Please send me the full amount via Western Union as soon as possible. Three elderly people in town have fallen for this scam according to the police. It must all seem so legit. The caller has their relative's name, their age and a lot of personal information (school or college attended, brother and sister's names and sports played). (Which it turns out was all obtained from Facebook). The local paper has warned about this scam and one would think that before sending this amount of money to a complete stranger the grandmother/grandfather would call the young relative's parents but this seems NOT to be the case in these three episodes. These all happened between Thanksgiving and the winter Holidays. I guess this is when people feel the most "generous" and less likely to think someone is scamming them.

I hope there is a nice WARM spot in he!! for these particular scammers.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 15th March 2018 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I think the worst one is the one that claims to be the taxation division of the government, and threatens that if you don't call the number given a warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
I think the worst one is the one that claims to be the taxation division of the government, and threatens that if you don't call the number given a warrant will be issued for your arrest.
That's just absurd. If the government is going to arrest you, they don't call first to warn you. And they don't give you the option to call a number and pay your way out of it.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
Always a good read for a chuckle : Ebola Monkey Man: Nigerian 419 Scam

scam the scammers!
I recall that from a long time ago. Satisfying to see someone wasting the time of the con artists for a change.

As someone who tried to phone the IRS for legitimate reasons, I can assure everyone that that branch of government would never rise to the level of customer support whereby they would call one or answer their own phone.

Its all letters with the IRS. I don't even know if they are able or willing to use email for their taxpayer contacts.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, these scams are sad. Usually taking advantage of elderly as well.

Protip: NEVER buy anything by sending money via western union. You will never see it again nor will you receive the goods.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
As someone who tried to phone the IRS for legitimate reasons, I can assure everyone that that branch of government would never rise to the level of customer support whereby they would call one or answer their own phone.

Its all letters with the IRS. I don't even know if they are able or willing to use email for their taxpayer contacts.
They had the same story about the IRS on the TV show NCIS the other night!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
They had the same story about the IRS on the TV show NCIS the other night!
Then it MUST be true!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamandaSD View Post
Yeah, these scams are sad. Usually taking advantage of elderly as well.

Protip: NEVER buy anything by sending money via western union. You will never see it again nor will you receive the goods.
Its a sad thing about the world that the weak are preyed on.

I was told by UPS never to ship to Mexico for the same reasons. I sold an item to a guy in mexico once, but only after he offered to drive to his friend's house in texas to pick it up. He told me it was an 8 hour drive. Clean and successful transaction--hope he liked his ADC.

I actually sold something to a guy in Nigeria once. Paypal will not operate there due to high level of scamming. It was me emailing a program I wrote, and the guy actually send me a paper check in the mail--and it cleared.
Old 16th March 2018
The scams are thick, mostly dumb, but occasionally smart enough to catch reasonably sensible folks. And there are loads of them.

This story (it's made some rounds on social media) started out looking like a scam -- or at least a very desperate and naive business idea. But with a little indulgence from the American a young Liberian had contacted with a 'business proposition,' it turned out quite differently...

People being as they are and situations in many 3rd world countries what they are, I don't think it's wise to assume just any possible scammer can be 'turned around' -- but this is a pretty nice story.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search