The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's Talk about Reviews! Condenser Microphones
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Let's Talk about Reviews!

I'm always ignoring bogus reviews (ie Sweetwater especially, but most product sites)

I know Amazon is hit or miss on shill vs users, but came across this site that claims to vet certain sites and assign scores and statistics about fake reviews vs honest ones:
Fakespot | Ads Anti Allergen Dust Spray 16 Oz Fake Review Analysis

I'm still sad over Harmony 1.0 being murdered. So hard to find honest reviews.

I don't really trust most magazines. SOS rarely every says anything bad. I only read them for features.

Your thoughts?
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Re SOS. I always assume that a publication can be skewed by who advertises in their mag. That being said, I always take a hybrid approach. Articles for specs and user reviews for the rest, knowing full well that that's no guarantee either.
Old 4th February 2018
Deleted User
I am completely baffled by the glowing reviews I read everywhere about Behringer products. Most of the posts on these audio forums have nothing but bad things to say about Behringer. Do you think they've hired a staff of shills to flood the market with positive press?
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I am completely baffled by the glowing reviews I read everywhere about Behringer products. Most of the posts on these audio forums have nothing but bad things to say about Behringer. Do you think they've hired a staff of shills to flood the market with positive press?

Hard to know. Maybe they've upped their game. Anyone remember Goldstar? Cheapest of the cheap. Rebranded as LG now and while not the best of the best they're reasonable budget gear. When I was a kid we shopped for 'back to school' stuff at Penny's cuz they were in the neighborhood and cheap. Later they became upscale. Go figure.

It's hard to change a reputation. Sometimes it requires a generation or even more.

BTW. The last Behringer product I bought is sitting here broken.
Old 4th February 2018
Deleted User
I recently started a thread titled "Why Does Everyone Hate Behringer So Much?" and it got a lot of feedback, almost all of it bashing the quality of Behringer products. I have two Behringer items - a basic audio interface and a Hot-Spot-type vocal monitor - and they both seem to be OK.

Since then, I have only seen good reviews of Behringer gear on Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H, etc. That's why this thread we are in now is intriguing to me. Conspiracy?????
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Conspiracy?????
Probably just habit. Some of the hate is about cloning and patent infringement.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am completely baffled by the glowing reviews I read everywhere about Behringer products. Most of the posts on these audio forums have nothing but bad things to say about Behringer.
Maybe they were worse than they are these days like the Lucky-Goldstar/LG example, or or like Hyundai or even Honda for that matter. I remember when Hondas would rust out after a few years, so I never bought one because they make lousy cars! Hey, my neighbour's Honda lost the passenger's wheel assembly when he drove up his driveway ramp.

If I had to write a review about the Behringer equipment I own I have to give it a glowing review, especially considering how inexpensive it is.

Meanwhile I could complain about the Yorkville mixer I used to own that started frying things plugged into the line input (but it was 30 years old)...still use a Yorkville amp and speakers (thumbs up, especially considering their age).
Old 4th February 2018
Deleted User
Anyway, we beat the Behringer thing to death in that other thread. But, to the OP's point, it DOES seem like EVERYTHING gets a glowing review EVERYWHERE these days, until one person posts something like "Don't buy...exploded right out of the box" and brings the 5-star rating down to 4.

I really try to post honest, thoughtful reviews of items I buy that are good and items that are not so good. That's because I like to be able to rely on other people's reviews when I shop for something. However, it's starting to seem like there's less honesty than ever, and as I said earlier, maybe some kind of action by the sellers and manufacturers to blast only good reviews out there.

Hell, everything ELSE in our world is a lie these days anyway.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Understand this.

Many companies have a fleet of shills that SWARM message boards with as much B.S as possible and ATTACK anyone who says anything negative about their company

It's called "Astroturfing" google it, everyone should be aware that most of what they read is B.S

Major corporations, Political parties they all do it, and it makes me sick.

Elektron is probably the worst offender in the gear world, but It's considered standard operating procedure now,

Personally, I think some new laws need to be passed that seriously censures companies who do it,

In the current corporate climate, it is considered OK to lie and deceive your customers,

In my opinion, a line has been crossed and the companies that engage in this immoral information pollution should be made to pay.
Old 6th March 2018
bummer i never thought about it. I kind of just take every review of something with a grain of salt. This has definitely made me more conscious about the writer and their purpose.
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Fake news, fake reviews. Hey they don't even try to hide it anymore. As said, everything gets more or less a glowing review.
I read reviews to learn about the products, that's it.

This is also why I stay a year or 2 behind technology as far as purchasing. Then do your research.
That's the best review.
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

The old Studio Sound magazine had a great reviewer, Hugh Ford. He was always saying what was true about any product. I got a chance to meet him at the AES in New York. Unfortunately when Studio Sound went under Mr. Ford stopped doing reviews. You can look at a copy of a Studio Sound Magazine here http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...nd-1979-05.pdf. and judge for yourself.

Unfortunately today magazines have to rely on advertising revenue and it would not do them any good to piss off an advertiser by giving their product a bad review. Magazines that used to be more or less "truthful" in their reviews of equipment are for the most part gone. You can still get some "good truthful reviews" on forums that deal with pro equipment and who do not have a lot of advertisers. FWIW
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Sweetwater tells me what I need to know.. usually.

"I just got it, and it's DOPE!!!"

Click.

"Sounds a bit muddy around 300, but it's fast, and has held up for 6 years."

Ok, then!

Same complaints and accolades...times 15.

Pull in the scouts, recon's done.

Two reviews, on a product available for 3 years.

Hmmm.

8000 reviews, on a product released last week.

Hmmm.

"I did the opposite of what the manual said and this is a POS."

Hmmm.

"This has been wowing clients and making me money since it arrived."

Times ten.

Hmm...which card takes THIS hit?

I will say that I do seem to have to scroll a bit to get a ...fair mix...of reviews at Sweetwater. Maybe...I dunno...a programming glitch in the server lists em good to ahh..."less than glowing?"

There's always Google. Of course, when searching "insert gear model number here" and "reviews"...I always seem to end up on Gearslutz.

Go figure.

:-)
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
You can still get some "good truthful reviews" on forums that deal with pro equipment and who do not have a lot of advertisers. FWIW
There does seem to be a truth/advertising tradeoff. And sometimes the ads are in the content.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The old Studio Sound magazine had a great reviewer, Hugh Ford. He was always saying what was true about any product. I got a chance to meet him at the AES in New York. Unfortunately when Studio Sound went under Mr. Ford stopped doing reviews. You can look at a copy of a Studio Sound Magazine here http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...nd-1979-05.pdf. and judge for yourself.

Unfortunately today magazines have to rely on advertising revenue and it would not do them any good to piss off an advertiser by giving their product a bad review. Magazines that used to be more or less "truthful" in their reviews of equipment are for the most part gone. You can still get some "good truthful reviews" on forums that deal with pro equipment and who do not have a lot of advertisers. FWIW
Glenn Fricker (SpectreSoundStudios) has his fearless gear reviews

and Adam (Real Home Recording) started "Audio Skeptics Society" reviews a few years back.

Glenn makes great audio demos (especially if you engineer heavy metal/hard rock) and Adam gives detailed technical/usage assessments. I trust what both of these guys have to say when it comes to gear reviews.

My hat is off to any manufacturer that sends them products to review because like you guys already discussed here honesty is hard to find these days with larger media outlets.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Looking at the still image of "Glenn" I certainly wouldn't trust a review from him (or waste time watching the video)...personally I use Line6 wireless microphones in the auditorium for years and don't have a complaint about them...even rented some additional ones for a special event I had.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Looking at the still image of "Glenn" I certainly wouldn't trust a review from him (or waste time watching the video)...personally I use Line6 wireless microphones in the auditorium for years and don't have a complaint about them...even rented some additional ones for a special event I had.
Never judge a book by its cover.

What does your Line 6 wireless microphone experience have to do with his amp review?
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

What does your Line 6 wireless microphone experience have to do with his amp review?
Well, the "cover" was all I looked at, and his graphic with the Line6 logo.

Yes Line6 is lower end stuff (just like Behringer) but it's a poor craftsperson who blames the tools they choose to use!
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Looking at the still image of "Glenn" I certainly wouldn't trust a review from him (or waste time watching the video)...
I hear you, looks count for a lot. I mean, how could you not trust this veteran British console designer?
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk about Reviews!-veteran_english_designer.jpg  
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post

My granddad always said you should never judge a book by its cover, and it's for that reason he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel. (cop.con Stewart Lee.)
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
He once made a demo of a cheap microphone by speaking into the wrong side, the capsule was on the opposite side. He didn't notice something was way off with the sound.

He speaks into to the wrong side @ 2m54s in this video:

Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I did notice that the more you go down Sweetwater reviews the more they seem genuine.
They put them in order, 5 star first, then go down from there.

The only thing I can get out of a review is to read the CONs and see if they apply to me.
Ppl that don't include at least 1 CON just bought it or don't know much about the gear, IMO unless its those rare well known pieces of gear (ie BAE 1073 or something)
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
My granddad always said you should never judge a book by its cover, and it's for that reason he lost his job as chair of the British Book Cover Awards panel. (cop.con Stewart Lee.)
LOL!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the "cover" was all I looked at, and his graphic with the Line6 logo.

Yes Line6 is lower end stuff (just like Behringer) but it's a poor craftsperson who blames the tools they choose to use!
So you're telling me a $30 China condenser mic with a 1990s eras Behringer mixing board will sound as good as a Neumann U67 running into an API 512c?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search