The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modern music..?
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Guru

Modern music..?

worth a watch..
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old man shouts at cloud etc

Bach was ****, the beatles were ****, chuck berry was ****, punk was **** ... everything was **** until Spanky picked up that silver box and jacked the house
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Science. Didn't know it was called the mere exposure effect. And that can happen on any song, not just pop. It can happen on unusual or 'out there' music that aren't catchy or anything. Interesting vid though. It's true a lot of artists are doing the same things musically, borrowing ideas, but I think that has always existed. To a lesser extent back then probably, but money has always talked. So it's no wonder. I think the point about attention spans being shorter now is quite true. This crap just happens because of the times and technology. I'm not sure if music sounding the same and being more disposable is unfortunate like is being indicated in this vid, but it's just the way the times have shifted. What does he think people can do about that? A lot of people seem to like it. Nevertheless, awareness videos are always good to watch.

I like how this guy is complaining about music lacking originality and being force fed to us to make a buck and then he plugs his channel like everyone else.
Old 9th January 2018
So that’s what my music needs! Millennial Whoop!!!
Ok I need to remix all my tracks and throw in some Whoops.
I’m seeing dolla signs baby!
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Guru

The music industry was something at one point, but soon after it was something different entirely altogether. It's basically up to artists to just continue to be creative and make the music that turns us on, whatever that maybe..
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

I saw that video a few months ago and it is very true.
Modern music has become a generic and polished bowl of audiosoup.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The music industry was something at one point, but soon after it was something different entirely altogether.
that's because at first the music industry was run by musicians and musical folk who had a passion for it, who started up labels and studios. now the music industry is run by corporate suits generating money for the shareholders, and basically controlling and bleeding artists dry. artists only make big money in live performances now, not recorded music.

a lot of bands/artists are now breaking away and becoming independent and setting up their own labels, merchandise etc.

while the rest stay and use their T&A to sell to the tweens/fans and mp3 eating masses.
Old 9th January 2018
Here for the gear

I had a lesson in why or how songwriting has become what it is when I joined the NSAI (Nashville Songwriters International)
It's a good association if you want to be a successful professional songwriter.
They will steer you toward that.
But I noticed that most of the "advice" that one would get about songwriting (especially lyrics) would not apply to most of the music that I love.
Basically in the interest of producing material that a person can make a living peddling via the industry it seems that things get directed toward a "least common deliminator". This is important in that so much of popular music is often written by a semi small collection of song writers.
On top of that a good amount of music is "written" in the studio by reusing already popular song parts.
Don't believe me? Country music is the best example.
Check this where a guy does a comparison of a bunch of country music hits.
You know that feeling you get when you hear a country song where you say "haven't I heard that before?"
You have. Guy mashes a bunch of songs together and they are seamless.
It's basically the same song. I would bet that the studios are just reusing the same tracks and putting different artest over them.
Glorified karaoke. Once you do American Idol the rest is inevitable IMO.

YouTube
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Didn't watch the video.

Just answering the title:
Modern music is the best music ever.
But... The very small part of modern music that people can actually hear on radio/tv, is played there mostly because of some shady deals between major recording and production companies and the radio/tv stations and how little clothes female singers manage to wear at events or on stage.

To hear the best part of modern music, one needs to actively search for it.

Just a few examples now.
A Japanese singer mostly unknown to the world, trained in traditional Japanese style called "Min'yō" and a song from an Oscar winning Japanese animation movie:

Is it modern music ? Yes it is.
Is it terrible ? No, it is great.

A 1 man (with guests) progressive rock/metal/djent band from Poland:

A 1 man electronic music band from Italy:

Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Didn't watch the video.

Perhaps the title should be "Modern pop/chartmusic" ?
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
pop/chartmusic
For as long as i live, pop/chartmusic was on the low side of the whole music range (with very few exceptions).
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
For as long as i live, pop/chartmusic was on the low side of the whole music range (with very few exceptions).
Up until the 90s, especially in the 80s, there were a lot of great tracks in the "charts".
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Up until the 90s, especially in the 80s, there were a lot of great tracks in the "charts".
By Pink Floyd.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 9th January 2018
Quote:
Agreed. I began losing my cookies with some of the top 40 music in the mid 80s. By 90 i projectile vomited every time i was forcefully subjected to pop radio. I even quit jobs where the workplace had a radio and it was set to a pop channel.
Nowadays when i hear a car driving by playing current pop music I feel physically ill from the experience.
Even today’s rock music is so horrific to me, it all sounds like an over-polished bowl of runny poop!

And the popular hiphop/R&B is equally poopy. The new generation of rappers can’t seem to be able to keep the beat with quarter notes at 60-70 BPM.
It’s so much stoned out of my mind mumbling to my ears.

I’ve never liked modern country. I can’t even tolerate hearing it now, holy crap it’s soooo bad....

However I keep finding new Industrial that doesn’t suck so not all hope is lost.
Much of the Post Punk Revival stuff is quite interesting too.
And there’s still lots of good old punk rock coming out too.
That’s mostly what I listen to anymore, Punk and Post Punk.

Top 40 can devolve into the feces of fecal matter for all I care.
Old 9th January 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Youtube / Recommended videos - is where most of the music junk is. But the really sad thing is even if you click NOT INTERESTED the video will eventually pop up sometime later in the side tab. So much about freedom of choice. I thought someone mentioned brainwashing?
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

@hollowman short of literally vomiting I know the feeling and @Don Solaris YT's AutoPlay option is annoying as Hell.
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Without alternative sources for independent music streaming, I would have voluntarily gone tone deaf.

By shoving a bundle of Q-tips through both ears
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Its hard to think, create and write when you got a phone stuck to your head. Of course, you could always put it down and go on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Google. Cha cha cha cha changes.
Just waiting for the robots to make their move.
Old 10th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

worth a watch..
I'm a certified senior citizen and I've been complaining about pop music since the Mashed Potato replaced the Twist.

(Seriously, I loved the Twist, though, today, that escapes me a bit. But even more I loved early surf instrumentals, which wedded a Twist beat with cool guitars and solos. When sappy, sung 'beach music' started replacing surf instrumentals, I felt totally betrayed by the official Youth Culture.)

That said, I've been hearing folks (and not always old folks but, you know) complain about 'this new horrible music' since I was a little kid and the big bands were giving way to rock and roll and doo wop.

Heard it again when folk music came in -- this time with even more emphasis on how 'amateurs' were 'ruining the business' and putting 'real' musicians out of work -- with their horrible playing and old folk songs.

Heard it again when psychedelic and acid rock raised their swirly heads.

Ditto when punk started poking through the boring, bloated dinosaur rock of the second half of the 1970s.

And then I had to hear endless whining because synths and samplers were going to put all the remaining pros on the breadline. And how turntablists and MCs were all kinds of very uncharitable things and blamed for... putting pros out of work.

Rinse, repeat... the endless whinge just goes on and on. At least since I've been paying attention.

Why, it's almost as though many people just can't accept reality when the particular style they've vested their time and practice in mastering goes out of fashion. Almost.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Guru

Some of this, I think, is because of the evolution of music videos. Early on, the song was the thing and the video was the accompaniment and didn't matter all that much. Three meaningless minutes of sped-up Monkees at the beach. But that's gotten turned on its head -- now videos are "films" and songs are soundtracks.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're saying 80s chart music is objectively better than 90s chart music? Lmao
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I was counting everything including the 90s, but until was the wrong word haha.
Sooo i meant up until 2000 i reckon then
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I Googled the charts from both decades.
Subjectively, 80s were better.

Maybe that was actually a good thing for me.
It forced me in 90s to look for something better when my music tastes were forming - went with rock and metal.
Old 11th January 2018
[quoting myself to add some additional thoughts]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
[...] I've been hearing folks (and not always old folks but, you know) complain about 'this new horrible music' since I was a little kid and the big bands were giving way to rock and roll and doo wop.

[...]

Rinse, repeat... the endless whinge just goes on and on. At least since I've been paying attention.

Why, it's almost as though many people just can't accept reality when the particular style they've vested their time and practice in mastering goes out of fashion. Almost.
Please don't think that I don't have enormous sympathy for those who built their lives around a style of music whose day has passed -- I'm a classical music fan after all (though not player, a task I don't have the skills or discipline for) and classical and 'serious' orchestral music is just about the most endangered of endangered musical species in so many ways.

No, I definitely get it and feel the pain of those who've worked hard for years to perfect crafts that the limelight has passed from.

But the fact is that this is a sad and inexorable reality of pop music and the music business. Styles change. Paradigm shift happens. And the bright lights move on to new generations. I'm old, I've seen it happen again and again. We can rail against it, we can personally cling to the music we love, but there's not much point in berating contemporary music fans for doing what the pop audience has always done: move on to the next, bright, shiny musical object.
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Addict

I'd say that the problem is the take over of most aspects of life by commerce and industry. This entails the pursuit of the lowest possible denominator for the sake of economies of scale.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search