The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Charter Oak don't return gear sent in for service
Old 3rd October 2018
  #121
In my early years I used a lot of Lang equipment. I knew Lou Lang personally. He was a genius at building equipment and also servicing it. Too bad they went out of business. What a gentlemen and was also a GREAT business man. There are good people out there who build exceptional gear but it seems from reading GS they are getting to be few and far between. Too bad.
Old 12th October 2018
  #122
Here for the gear
 

Still no news from Michael Deming despite numerous emails and phone calls... I've summon him to send me back my unit if he was not able to offer a solution for servicing or replacing it. No answer...

Might create a new post to take a census of people who are in the same situation.
Old 24th October 2018
  #123
Here for the gear
 

I've sent Mike Deming the H1000A Microphone back in August and had a few emails and phone calls exchanged, until he went dark for a couple of weeks and then wrote about having a stroke and being in the hospital. A month passed since then and Mike cannot be reached anymore. Even emails return undelivered because the mailbox is full. I assume he is getting a lot of emails and not able to use a computer. I sincerely hope he is going to recover and deal with the situation. At the very least I expect to get the microphone back and try to repair it myself if Mike is not capable of doing so.
Old 26th October 2018
  #124
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by altSonik View Post
Still no news from Michael Deming despite numerous emails and phone calls... I've summon him to send me back my unit if he was not able to offer a solution for servicing or replacing it. No answer...

Might create a new post to take a census of people who are in the same situation.
Of course you haven't heard any news.

Because for some strange reason, you guys want to keep enabling him. Which would be fine if it were just you, but you are enabling him to continue to take advantage of other people too.

Get the authorities involved. You'll get communication then. Likely not until.

If it's a true misunderstanding then no harm, no foul.

But I don't think that's what's going on.
Old 26th October 2018
  #125
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
100% agree with the above.
Old 20th February 2019
  #126
Just wondering if there's any update from Charter Oak. Sounds like they were at NAMM...
Old 20th February 2019
  #127
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Just wondering if there's any update from Charter Oak. Sounds like they were at NAMM...
Have not heard anything.
Old 20th February 2019
  #128
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Just wow. Was thinking about this some days ago and wondering....
Just wow
Old 20th February 2019
  #129
It’s a shame, I remember hearing a SCL-1 and being blown away and have long thought about getting one, but don’t think I can risk it.

Mike Deming is also a great engineer...love his work with the Lilys, Pernice Brothers, and Beachwood Sparks...some of my favorite bands which is another reason I wanted to support him
Old 6th March 2019
  #130
Lives for gear
 

Anyone know a good place to send a peq-1 for repair? Seems like charter oak hq is not a good idea at this point...
Old 12th June 2019
  #131
It’s been over five years since my SCL-1 stopped working in one channel and was sent in for repairs. Despite hearing a litany of excuses and outright lies it was never returned to me. Horrific “customer service.” Sad to say I wrote a glowing review of the unit and was originally a fervid supporter of the company.
Sorry to see the shoddy trend continues even to this day.
Damn shame
Old 12th June 2019
  #132
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
It’s been over five years since my SCL-1 stopped working in one channel and was sent in for repairs. Despite hearing a litany of excuses and outright lies it was never returned to me. Horrific “customer service.” Sad to say I wrote a glowing review of the unit and was originally a fervid supporter of the company.
Sorry to see the shoddy trend continues even to this day.
Damn shame
Wow, five years! So sorry to hear that!
Old 12th June 2019
  #133
Yup. And during that time Deming has had every disease known to man, And come up with some downright imaginative excuses like, “your unit was lost but we just found it on the loading dock it was mislabeled and covered in dust and we’re taking it in for repairs and re-calibration.”
As far as getting the authorities involved, good luck with that one. I filed a complaint with consumer affairs in that state but the company never responded.
Apologies to anyone to whom I recommended their products.

Last edited by warlordpriest; 13th June 2019 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 12th June 2019
  #134
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
This is insane
Old 12th June 2019
  #135
Gear Guru
The site is up and running! Perhaps we should ask service why claims are ignored! I hate stuff like this.....

He rang a warning bell when he insinuated that bad press was coming from competitors. That's always a red flag chez moi.....
Old 17th June 2019
  #136
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
As far as getting the authorities involved, good luck with that one. I filed a complaint with consumer affairs in that state but the company never responded.
That's because you went to the wrong authorities. Theft and simple fraud are local police matters.

Of course, the statute of limitations may have expired by now.
Old 18th June 2019
  #137
If I had still been living in America at the time, trust me, the story would have had a completely different ending, and not a well one for him.
As it stands, it was a learning experience for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
That's because you went to the wrong authorities. Theft and simple fraud are local police matters.

Of course, the statute of limitations may have expired by now.
Old 18th June 2019
  #138
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
keep this thread sticky forever as a warning
Old 18th June 2019
  #139
Gear Guru
Are they still selling? At shows? A bit of civil disobedience might work wonders. I understand people getting in over their head and going under, but screwing people and continuing to do business? Small claims court is a real option.....
Old 18th June 2019
  #140
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
If I had still been living in America at the time, trust me, the story would have had a completely different ending, and not a well one for him.
As it stands, it was a learning experience for me.
Do they have a Facebook site?

Posting there does sometimes help.

On the other side your experiences sound way beyond..
Old 18th June 2019
  #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Do they have a Facebook site?

Posting there does sometimes help.

On the other side your experiences sound way beyond..
Don’t quite know what to make of your post, asking if they have a Facebook site and then asserting that posting there sometimes helps. Any proof of that? Have you heard any stories like that.
And any rate, yesterday I just happened to have posted something about the company regarding their customer service when Facebook asked why I would not recommend them, however nothing has been posted on their Facebook page since December 2017.
Old 18th June 2019
  #142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Are they still selling? At shows? A bit of civil disobedience might work wonders. I understand people getting in over their head and going under, but screwing people and continuing to do business? Small claims court is a real option.....
Sound pure still carries their items, or at least show them for sale on their page.
Old 18th June 2019
  #143
Maybe I’ll post something on their Facebook page, just for the hell of it

Last edited by warlordpriest; 18th June 2019 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Specifics
Old 18th June 2019
  #144
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
Don’t quite know what to make of your post, asking if they have a Facebook site and then asserting that posting there sometimes helps. Any proof of that? Have you heard any stories like that.
And any rate, yesterday I just happened to have posted something about the company regarding their customer service when Facebook asked why I would not recommend them, however nothing has been posted on their Facebook page since December 2017.
I had trouble with my mobile phone company. Posting publicly on their facebook site helped to get me help.means got them acting.

I would agree that you may not convert this to this case. And you have already chosen the public with this thread.

Sorry
Old 18th June 2019
  #145
Well, my comments to Facebook about his business won’t go public. To go public I would have to actually post on his page.

The super weird thing about this is how I originally michael was so helpful with me getting my unit set up and even helping me work out some of the kinks in my audio interface. I went to bat for him with several audio companies in Japan as he was looking for a new distributor. Fortunately, no one took the bait, and at least I made a few contacts. But wouldn't you think that for someone who went out of his way to write letters and go to trade shows for him he would at least be a square enough guy to do the right thing, repair, replace or even return my unit?
Nope.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump