The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Native Instrument Kontakt 6 Change! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolol View Post

I hope you are not over 30 because now you are just being silly..

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you ARE less than thirty, if not God help us all.

fb
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would it hurt you so much if NI would lower the price for Kontakt so a lot of people could afford it for a price its value?
No, it would not hurt me, but it might hurt NI. Idk, because like you, I do not know the actual inner workings of their business plan. Sure on the surface lowering the price seems like a good thing for the consumer at first, but what if they devalue their product to the point that having tech support is not possible. Then I am sure you would be complaining how much NI tech support blows.

Maybe they don't need to sell a bunch. You would argue that selling more is a good thing, but NI might say for them it is a bad thing...who knows. All I know is that a product is worth what someone is WILLING to pay for it and NI seems to be happy with their numbers, so the problem is you.

I REALLY want some Neve products and I could argue that they are overpriced and maybe I am right, but the REALITY is that the company does not see the need or the desire to lower the price...why?, I think you should think about that and do some research for yourself as to why companies don't lower prices.

There again, you just seem to come across as a whiny consumer who just can't get their way. Welcome to life.

For the record, I did not pay full price for Kontakt, so once again your assumption is incorrect.

fb
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hey OP, why are you removing all of your posts?

fb
Old 8th December 2017
Kontakt 6?! Did I miss something? There is no information about Kontakt6 on the NI page.
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
You did not miss it! I was just talking about it hypothetically
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Addict
I remember back in the day the big sample packs would be released in multiple formats (exs24, nn-xt, etc...), not just kontakt. When did all that change and why?
Old 11th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
I remember back in the day the big sample packs would be released in multiple formats (exs24, nn-xt, etc...), not just kontakt. When did all that change and why?
There are still releases in multiformats. Loopmasters for instance. But not all of their packs feature all possible formats. It depends on the developer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What does it cost is relative

You can get Kontakt for slightly less than 200USD. You can get Komplete for slightly less than 400USD. Comparing the two I would say Komplete is a better buy as you get a lot of stuff for the extra 200. However, it depends on what you need. There are some awsome synths in Komplete. Massive is one of them and even if it is old it is still very good. The weak parts of Komplete are the pianos. However you need to spend approx 400USD to get a very good piano. So with that in consideration the pianos in Komplete are ok at the price, and if you are mixing the piano in with other instruments, like in pop, rock or hip hop and do a decent job with Eq and reverb, the Komplete pianos will do the job. For classical music & jazz however, as stand alone, they fall.

Kontakt is a huge door into the world of several hundred developers. Paying 200 for Kontakt (or 400 for Komplete) will give access to thousands of instruments, many free, many extremely cheep and some expencive. However the most expencive tend to be made for Kontakt player as well as the ordinary Kontakt. Kontakt Player is free! However, If you already have Kontakt the Kontakt player does not matter, and the "works for Kontakt player" label on many expencive instruments is of no benefit.

I have close to 1.000 instruments running under Kontakt and only a fraction of those are running under the so called "library" section (also called the "player"). Except for a fancy picture, the Library section is of no real use. 90% of the time I access my instruments through the "file" system. Personally I whish Native dropped the Library section and only used the file system. It is much faster, and you can create favorites for those instruments accessed the most. However, the "Library" section has an authorization system that "files" dont. To have access to that authorization system developers need to make their instruments for the Library section and as a concequence it will also run under Kontakt Player.

Developers need to pay a fee to Native to have access to that authorization system, that drives the price up and Native earn money. But, as mentioned you can then use the free Kontakt Player. Kontakt Player will not open the "great world of instruments" as the full Kontakt version does. My advice is to go for the full version as early as possible.

For most Kontakt updates, released to follow up on OS upgrades, you will still have access to most of the instruments running under it. During my 13 years in the studio and starting with Kontakt 2, I have only experienced 5 instruments that do not carry over to a new Kontakt version. However there have been buggy Kontakt releases that temporarily made access to certain instruments impossible. I have had more problems with VST or AU updates when updating the OS. If all my Kontakt instruments were VST and AU instead, I would need to update them all when updating OS. Now only Kontakt. (That is true for approx 99% of the instruments I have).

The UVI engine (also free) is technically a better engine. With "better" I mean that it has the ability of a more natural representation of complex instruments, like the human voice. I know that Realitone had the desire to use UVI instead of Kontakt, however UVI is minute compared to Kontakt when it comes to number of users.

If you can afford Kontakt (or even better; Komplete), just buy it. You will not regret it a second. If you cannot, start with the free Player. It has some instruments included. This will get you aquinted with the interface as you save up for the real thing. And btw the free stuff available for many of the synths in Komplete are great and wast.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I might pop for Kontakt around Black Friday 2018, but in the meantime there's a sampler that can go way past Kontakt (this depends if you make your own or are just playing everyone else's libraries). The basic version is free, and Pro version is around $35 US; install on all your computers. Click here: TX16Wx.
With Kontakt, it was after 3.5 I think that the patches were encrypted, so if you're creating libraries outside of Kontakt, TX16Wx is a fantastic front end to drag/map samples all over, just as easy as Kontakt. But because the patch TX16Wx exports is XML, you can convert that to SFZ with a freeware app, and any format using Extreme Sample Converter, including old Kontakt.
We like old Kontakt because new Kontakt will import it, and also Studio One's Presence XT sampler imports it right in; I've tried.

But to be locked into Kontakt 5 or 6's format is restrictive, to say the least.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search