The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stam Audio Gear
Old 28th October 2017
Here for the gear

Stam Audio Gear

So, I pre-ordered 2 items from Stam Audio.

The 1173 and the Sa47 mic.

They kept pushing the ship date further and further out. Over a year later I had nothing.

Recently they just quit responding. I swear I would go months in between e-mails about the ship dates..

Long story longer... I posted on the user group about it and faced some pretty rude comments from The guys at Stam Audio just because I “ruffled the feathers”.

They refunded the deposit on one, but still owe me $200.00 and are refusing to refund it.

Anyone else out here had similar issues??
Old 29th October 2017
Gear Maniac
Well, the thing about the internet is, if you ruffle the feathers enough you will get your way.
Old 29th October 2017
Gear Maniac

It's stories like this that have kept me from buying anything new from Stam

I think your best bet is to get something they have listed on EBay or Reverb. That way you are guaranteed to get a product or your money back quickly

Don't participate in that bs deposit garbage. You either got a product or you dont
Old 29th October 2017
Gear Nut

I ordered an Sa-4000 from Stam. I never experienced any rudeness or lack of courtesy in communications with Joshua and his staff. The unit is awesome and really versatile for having so few controls.

That said, I received the Sa-4000 four months after Josh initially said I would.

Also, I am still waiting on an SA-87 that Joshua said was ready to ship in August.

It seems like Stam is the kind of outfit that is really good at making gear but really bad at meeting deadlines. This isn't really abnormal when it comes to small boutique gear companies though.

Personally, I will continue to buy Stam gear because I think the value is incredible, and from
the one piece I have, it blows away similar lower cost outboard gear (Warm and Klark Teknik being the main two).

If you've ever gotten into DIY gear and group buys and groupdiy then you know that all sorts of nonsense goes down and you don't have any recourse. With Stam, they may not be the most prompt, but you will get your gear (eventually), and it will be very well made. And if you get tired of waiting, they will happilly give you a refund.

The way I see it, having to wait to get the gear is part of the cost. You just have to add that to the price when considering whether Stam gear is a good buy for you.

Just my $.02.
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

I've thought about buying his stuff, but it seems like every time I get close a thread like this pops up.
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

That’s kind of the thing.

Great gear for short money, takes an eternity to get it, communication is a nightmare. Pretty well established paradigm at this point.
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

Love my SA4000. Took a year to get it, but it was $390. C'mon now. $390. I mean, holy sh!t, it is a great compressor. Wish I'd gotten an SA2A when they were $690.

You put a deposit down, it takes longer then everyone thinks. Three times as long as you think you'd put up with. But it finally arrives. Thats the deal. If you can handle that, put down a deposit. If you can't, don't.

And sign up for GS just to to start a complaint thread about STAM? You could have just posted in one of the 2 or 3 already going.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

And yet the penny still hasn't dropped for most people.

There's more to a product than the cost of it's parts. Service, support, admin etc. All these things cost money. If they're not added into the cost of the product, guess what, you're probably not going to get much of it.

Every time I see one of those iPhone tear downs with the cost of parts revealed and the subsequent sh!t storm that ensues, I kinda chuckle. OK, so Apple stuff costs a lot - sure. But, it costs money to R&D and bring things to market.

In some cases, you really do get what you pay for. This is not meant as a crack at STAM by any means, but I wouldn't expect a company that requires pre-order deposits to have a lot of money behind them to be able to pay staff to support the company in the way it probably needs. As long as people are aware of this, then purchase away.

BTW - I don't condone zero response or not refunding money etc. That stuff shouldn't be tolerated by any means if it is indeed happening.
Old 1st November 2017
Here for the gear

I have to agree with sardi. You get what you pay for.

Swafford- these guys stole $200.00 from me... I think that’s worth spreading the word about.

I dig good prices, but customer service is just as important.

I guess I’ll need to search more. Buyer beware tho fellow peeps.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottloveaustin View Post
I have to agree with sardi. You get what you pay for.

Swafford- these guys stole $200.00 from me... I think that’s worth spreading the word about.

I dig good prices, but customer service is just as important.

I guess I’ll need to search more. Buyer beware tho fellow peeps.
You're using the word "stole" freely, but you haven't said what their reasoning was for refusing a refund thus far. Please give us more details.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
There's more to a product than the cost of it's parts. Service, support, admin etc. All these things cost money. If they're not added into the cost of the product, guess what, you're probably not going to get much of it.
Agreed, also it's normally an indicator that the company won't be around for long, meaning long-term support will be a gamble.
Old 1st November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
Also, I am still waiting on an SA-87 that Joshua said was ready to ship in August.
It says next day shipping on the website...

Anyway, I was one of the first few to preorder the 47, I had some trouble with health and decided to pass on it, no problem with returning deposit. Then the deadline of arrival moved, and what's worse the price went up. The price went up on a preordered item, for the people who put deposit! That's so bad I'm glad I canceled the order.
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio Gear-screen-shot-2017-11-01-15.25.46.png  
Old 28th December 2017
Here for the gear

I sent a deposit for the SA76 back in late October. When I was first inquiring about the 76, they guys at STAM said there was time for me to get in on the current order and that it might be shipping as early as December, but would most likely ship in January. I'm not in a huge rush to get it so it doesn't really matter to me if it comes in December. So I put my deposit down, and since then communications have stopped. I emailed a couple of times just curious as to when approximately the unit will ship and haven't heard anything back.

Again, I don't care when it ships... but the point is that when I was enquiring about buying a unit I received quick responses, but after I put my money down they've gone silent. So you get customer support before you're actually a customer, but none after you become a customer haha.

Thats just been my experience so far! I know others have had great experiences and that's awesome. I understand that the price would be much higher if they had more employees, proper customer support staff, etc... But these are super quick emails that could be answered in 30 seconds.
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk84 View Post
I sent a deposit for the SA76 back in late October. When I was first inquiring about the 76, they guys at STAM said there was time for me to get in on the current order and that it might be shipping as early as December, but would most likely ship in January. I'm not in a huge rush to get it so it doesn't really matter to me if it comes in December. So I put my deposit down, and since then communications have stopped. I emailed a couple of times just curious as to when approximately the unit will ship and haven't heard anything back.

Again, I don't care when it ships... but the point is that when I was enquiring about buying a unit I received quick responses, but after I put my money down they've gone silent. So you get customer support before you're actually a customer, but none after you become a customer haha.

Thats just been my experience so far! I know others have had great experiences and that's awesome. I understand that the price would be much higher if they had more employees, proper customer support staff, etc... But these are super quick emails that could be answered in 30 seconds.
Why wouldn't you just buy a hairball or a revive modified WA76 or klark?

You would have them in hand by now making music with them

These stories are getting to be a little bit repetitive and at this point it should be obvious, I would think, that this is the norm for stam and what you will be going through if you buy direct from them

I could understand waiting around if it was some boutique piece of gear but it's not. There are equivalents to be had immediately
Old 2nd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Why wouldn't you just buy a hairball or a revive modified WA76 or klark?

You would have them in hand by now making music with them

These stories are getting to be a little bit repetitive and at this point it should be obvious, I would think, that this is the norm for stam and what you will be going through if you buy direct from them

I could understand waiting around if it was some boutique piece of gear but it's not. There are equivalents to be had immediately
I think you missed the part where I wrote "I'm not in a rush". I already have a Universal Audio 1176LN and I wanted to add another from a different company to the arsenal. After looking at the specs and reading the reviews, the Stam I believe is going to be better than the Klark's and Warm Audio's. My problem isn't with the date being pushed back, it's the lack of communication
Old 24th January 2018
Just got my SA 4000 and it’s a killer buss comp. just like the SSL however, it’s not good on everything but fills a hole in my studio I desperately need and does it with flying colors. I opted out of the output transformer and couldn’t be happier. I paid about$700 for it, how that other poster got it for $390 I am not sure, I don’t think it was ever that low. The Stam stuff does use far superior components than the other knock off stuff out there. I’d put this at the top of the pile next to Capi, Drip, Hairball and Diyre and far above Warm, Klark Revive and others. Having said all that, I too had a very difficult time with customer service. I already knew that going in and it was one run I decided to put up with whatever they dished to get it at this price, short of theft. It took him 3 times longer than promised with a different excuse every time (or no response at all). I never got a receipt or anything either. Joshua Stam is just a kid managing a small team of Argentinian techs working in Argentina for USD. In his Facebook pic he looks like a Jersey shore “situation” in his 20’s and that’s exactly the customer service I wxpect d... and what I got. If the OP had done any research at all before taking the plunge he would have also seen it coming. So if you are rude with him, he’s gonna blow you off. My advice to anyone willing to put up with horrible customer service and broken promised ship dates is be patient and kind and you’ll eventually get it. Joshua is only able to place bulk orders with the Argentinian factory so that’s why you have to pre pay and wait a year or more, cause he is prepaying them the cost up front and he himself has to wait. He’s literally just waiting for the quota to be met so he can place the order with them! I wish I had their direct #! He also apparently deals with a lot of customs issues which causes him a lot of delay too. The product doesn’t even come from him it’s shipped from their factory in argentina with customs claims receipts plastered all over the box. But to me, it’s worth the wait. There’s an old saying the graphic design field that applies here: “good fast and cheap, pick two.”
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Just got my SA 4000 and it’s a killer buss comp. just like the SSL however, it’s not good on everything but fills a hole in my studio I desperately need and does it with flying colors. I opted out of the output transformer and couldn’t be happier. I paid about$700 for it, how that other poster got it for $390 I am not sure, I don’t think it was ever that low. The Stam stuff does use far superior components than the other knock off stuff out there. I’d put this at the top of the pile next to Capi, Drip, Hairball and Diyre and far above Warm, Klark Revive and others. Having said all that, I too had a very difficult time with customer service. I already knew that going in and it was one run I decided to put up with whatever they dished to get it at this price, short of theft. It took him 3 times longer, I never got a receipt or anything either. Joshua Stam is just a kid managing a small team of Argentinian techs working in Argentina for USD. In his Facebook pic he looks like a Jersey shore “situation” in his 20’s and that’s exactly the customer service I wxpect d... and what I got. If the OP had done any research at all before taking the plunge he would have also seen it coming. So if you are rude with him, he’s gonna blow you off. My advice to anyone willing to put up with horrible customer service and broken promised ship dates is be patient and kind and you’ll eventually get it. Joshua is only able to place bulk orders with the Argentinian factory so that’s why you have to pre pay and wait a year or more, cause he is prepaying them the cost up front and he himself has to wait. He’s literally just waiting for the quota to be met so he can place the order with them! I wish I had their direct #! He also apparently deals with a lot of customs issues which causes him a lot of delay too. The product doesn’t even come from him it’s shipped from their factory in argentina with customs claims receipts plastered all over the box. But to me, it’s worth the wait. There’s an old saying the graphic design field that applies here: “good fast and cheap, pick two.”
Just for accuracy's sake, Stam is in Chile. And his outboard gear products come from China, but he does some final assembly and testing/QC there in Chile.

His mics are all assembled there in Chile.
Old 8th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottloveaustin View Post
So, I pre-ordered 2 items from Stam Audio.

The 1173 and the Sa47 mic.

They kept pushing the ship date further and further out. Over a year later I had nothing.

Recently they just quit responding. I swear I would go months in between e-mails about the ship dates..

Long story longer... I posted on the user group about it and faced some pretty rude comments from The guys at Stam Audio just because I “ruffled the feathers”.

They refunded the deposit on one, but still owe me $200.00 and are refusing to refund it.

Anyone else out here had similar issues??
Same story here on the preamp. Not a year but the shipment date has been pushed 3 times now - I've justed send them an email canceling the order. Hope I get my money back - but not so sure now :(
Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockakahn View Post
I ordered a SA-87 on Ebay from Stam Audio on Feb 1. The ad said the mics were "in stock". On Feb 3 he sent me an email stating that he is away and could I wait 2-3 weeks as they are hand built? The ad said they were in stock, and eBay said I would receive it within 2 weeks. OK, I can be patient.....it's a small company. After a month of hearing nothing, I sent another email...nothing...two weeks after than, another email...nothing. So I canceled today. I can only imagine the customer service if something is wrong with the mic.

The owner, Joshua, will probably try to trash me somehow...but all I did was order and pay for the SA-87 on Ebay....and expected that I might have some kind of correspondence a full 5 weeks after my purchase of an "in stock" item?? The guy has no sense of customer service.

Sorry to hear, I've been considering buying from them but keep reading about these poor customer service stories from multiple sources.

Thanks for passing on the info.
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockakahn View Post
I ordered a SA-87 on Ebay from Stam Audio on Feb 1. The ad said the mics were "in stock". On Feb 3 he sent me an email stating that he is away and could I wait 2-3 weeks as they are hand built? The ad said they were in stock, and eBay said I would receive it within 2 weeks. OK, I can be patient.....it's a small company. After a month of hearing nothing, I sent another email...nothing...two weeks after than, another email...nothing. So I canceled today. I can only imagine the customer service if something is wrong with the mic.

The owner, Joshua, will probably try to trash me somehow...but all I did was order and pay for the SA-87 on Ebay....and expected that I might have some kind of correspondence a full 5 weeks after my purchase of an "in stock" item?? The guy has no sense of customer service.
Thanks for this info

I was going to buy a couple things from them on EBay to try out, being that it says they are in stock. I was hoping to avoid all the nightmares that get posted about preorders or ordering from their site.

You saved me a bunch of hassle and wasted time

Hope Stam can get its act together. Seems like they have some valued products, but what good are they if they don't get into the hands of anyone. It's starting to sound like a Madoff style pyramid situation. I can only imagine the nightmare if you needed to get it serviced under some kind of warranty if something broke or needed repair
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

I pre ordered the 4000 compressor, worth the wait, but before I got it I was a bit rude to the guy....They just can't handle it,
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

I was one of the first to put down a deposit on the Stem 47fet. Heard nothing for more than 6 months, then out of the blue received a PayPal invoice trying to charge me for the full amount. I questioned it, heard nothing back for a month, chased again, got a really obscure reply, but no revised invoice, then chased again, and about another month later have finally gotten what looks to be a vaguely correct looking invoice.
I have to say this is not the customer experience I would expect.
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStudio View Post
Same story here on the preamp. Not a year but the shipment date has been pushed 3 times now - I've justed send them an email canceling the order. Hope I get my money back - but not so sure now :(
you will never get your money back from him, I tired to get a refund and he shipped right away to "muddy the waters". It's a sad situation. It's like messing with a cheap hooker and complaining about the VDs you get as a result (not that I mess with hookers at all, just an analogy).

I wish the guy nothing but the best but it's not the way to do business.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I was one of the first to put down a deposit on the Stem 47fet. Heard nothing for more than 6 months, then out of the blue received a PayPal invoice trying to charge me for the full amount. I questioned it, heard nothing back for a month, chased again, got a really obscure reply, but no revised invoice, then chased again, and about another month later have finally gotten what looks to be a vaguely correct looking invoice.
I have to say this is not the customer experience I would expect.
If you used a credit card or paypal, open a dispute with them for the charges. It's illegal to collect monies for a product and don't ship it.
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear
They are deleting my posts on here...there is censorship of consumer issues....
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Hope Stam can get its act together. Seems like they have some valued products, but what good are they if they don't get into the hands of anyone. It's starting to sound like a Madoff style pyramid situation. I can only imagine the nightmare if you needed to get it serviced under some kind of warranty if something broke or needed repair
Well, the story of my SA4000 is quite horrific if I may put it frankly.

After I paid full amount for the compressor in September 2017, it has been delivered to a client in a different country. Instead of being shipped to me in Poland it was delivered to someone in the USA. They've sent me a different unit and this was only the beginning of my problems.

I plugged in the unit and I discovered that Auto Release is super fast - similar to 100ms release, tested from 20dB gain reduction. After one of my first emails I was promised to receive service instruction of an easy fix to this problem. But this never arrived. After weeks of weird and less than pleasant communication I was instructed to send it to a technician in France. Before I did that I discovered another problem with the attack times. Although it sounded interesting, the unit appeared to have around 100ms attack time even at the fastest 0.1ms setting. I also informed Stam about the issue. When the unit returned from France described as "fixed", the problem with the attack was still there and the Auto Release time changed to something around 30 seconds, when original SSL is supposed to have that under 10 seconds. I received a reply that this is a special Stam Audio modification to make the compressors better than the original SSL. So after 2 months I was informed that SA4000 is not a faithful recreation of original SSL bus compressor. I sent it back to France with the promise I would receive a replacement unit with the attack time working correctly. A few hours after I received an email confirmation that the package was delivered in France, I received an email that my unit has been repaired and it's on its way back to me, instead of being replaced. When it got back I wash shocked to discover that the attack time was still broken. So I started asking about returning the unit. I was instructed to send it back to France for the third time and I was supposed to have all my money refunded. To this point I paid for the compressor, I paid import fees (23% VAT in Poland), I paid 3 times for courier shipping to France.

I have not received any refund yet. I requested it on 15th of February. I sent the SA4000 to France as instructed on 21st of February. It was delivered on 27th. I sent an email to Stam Audio on 7th of March asking for the refund again. It has been a complete silence from them for the past 20 days or so.

And if I may add - it's been a time consuming experience to communicate. I had difficulties to prove that the unit was not working properly. I made tests, I measured attack and release times with test signals, I made screenshots, videos and audio examples. I lost not hours but days on trying to get the situation resolved. Email and messenger communication was so slow and difficult that I've asked for a phone number to call, which was rejected by Stam Audio due to lack of time. The standard email reply I would receive on many occasions was similar to: "That's really strange, because we have 1200 satisfied clients and Eddy Kramer loves this compressor. Are you sure you are not mistaken?"

I did buy SA4000 because of the promise of being the most faithful recreation of an SSL compressor. In my search for a compressor that would suit my needs I had owned SSL X-Logic, Smart C1, Smart C2, Focusrite Red3, Dramastic Obsidian and I used many others in different studios in Europe and UK, including original E and G consoles.

Last edited by jacko; 13th March 2018 at 01:22 PM..
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Well, the story of my SA4000 is quite horrific if I may put it frankly.

After I paid full amount for the compressor in September 2017, it has been delivered to a client in a different country. Instead of being shipped to me in Poland it was delivered to someone in the USA. They've sent me a different unit and this was only the beginning of my problems.

I plugged in the unit and I discovered that Auto Release is super fast - similar to 100ms release, tested from 20dB gain reduction. After one of my first emails I was promised to receive service instruction of an easy fix to this problem. But this never arrived. After weeks of weird and less than pleasant communication I was instructed to send it to a technician in France. Before I did that I discovered another problem with the attack times. Although it sounded interesting, the unit appeared to have around 100ms attack time even at the fastest 0.1ms setting. I also informed Stam about the issue. When the unit returned from France described as "fixed", the problem with the attack was still there and the Auto Release time changed to something around 30 seconds, when original SSL is supposed to have that under 10 seconds. I received a reply that this is a special Stam Audio modification to make the compressors better than the original SSL. So after 2 months I was informed that SA4000 is not a faithful recreation of original SSL bus compressor. I sent it back to France with the promise I would receive a replacement unit with the attack time working correctly. A few hours after I received an email confirmation that the package was delivered in France, I received an email that my unit has been repaired and it's on its way back to me, instead of being replaced. When it got back I wash shocked to discover that the attack time was still broken. So I started asking about returning the unit. I was instructed to send it back to France for the third time and I was supposed to have all my money refunded. To this point I paid for the compressor, I paid import fees (23% VAT in Poland), I paid 3 times for courier shipping to France.

I have not received any refund yet. I requested it on 15th of February. I sent the SA4000 to France as instructed on 21st of February. It was delivered on 27th. I sent an email to Stam Audio on 7th of March asking for the refund again. It has been a complete silence from them for the past 20 days or so.

And if I may add - it's been a time consuming experience to communicate. I had difficulties to prove that the unit was not working properly. I made tests, I measured attack and release times with test signals, I made screenshots, videos and audio examples. I lost not hours but days on trying to get the situation resolved. Email and messenger communication was so slow and difficult that I've asked for a phone number to call, which was rejected by Stam Audio due to lack of time. The standard email reply I would receive on many occasions was similar to: "That's really strange, because we have 1200 satisfied clients and Eddy Kramer loves this compressor. Are you sure you are not mistaken?"

I did buy SA4000 because of the promise of being the most faithful recreation of an SSL compressor. In my search for a compressor that would suit my needs I had owned SSL X-Logic, Smart C1, Smart C2, Focusrite Red3, Dramastic Obsidian and I used many others in different studios in Europe and UK, including original E and G consoles.
Wow, you story sounds sorta demonic compared to mine, they should make a deal with PMI or someone, seriously, or selling stock gear only.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflix View Post
Wow, you story sounds sorta demonic compared to mine, they should make a deal with PMI or someone, seriously, or selling stock gear only.
I agree. It seems that there's not enough people for dealing with potential problems which may arise in case of any company. The difference is that most companies would deal with this situation with a prompt replacement.

Update on the situation:

Today I received Paypal refund.
I am still at loss at this point with triple shipping to France, import tax and 10% loss on currency spread / exchange rate difference.

Here's the video showing the problem: YouTube
I did several examples like this, this one is only one of many.
Regardless of my examples, today I received the information that before issuing a refund they will need a few additional days to check if I was telling the truth about the fault.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
I agree. It seems that there's not enough people for dealing with potential problems which may arise in case of any company. The difference is that most companies would deal with this situation with a prompt replacement.

Update on the situation:

Today I received Paypal refund.
I am still at loss at this point with triple shipping to France, import tax and 10% loss on currency spread / exchange rate difference.

Here's the video showing the problem: YouTube
I did several examples like this, this one is only one of many.
Regardless of my examples, today I received the information that before issuing a refund they will need a few additional days to check if I was telling the truth about the fault.

Frustration. Essential to our Business ~ Stam Audio
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFMD View Post
Frustration. Essential to our Business ~ Stam Audio
Well, I have only one regret and despite all the facts I don't feel frustrated. I could even bear the financial loss. The regret I have is that I really wanted to use this compressor. I am keeping fingers crossed for all my friends who I convinced to purchase some Stam Audio gear. I will observe things unfolding and I might try again in future once the brand gets established, maybe through a good distributor in Europe.

Last edited by jacko; 13th March 2018 at 10:39 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search