The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That was nice!
The great Eddie Jefferson did a vocalese version (w/ lyrics) of Hawkin's solo note for note.

...and Mahattan Transfer did a version of Jefferson's version.

The sad side story to the Manhattan Transfer version is that Eddie Jefferson was slated to write new lyrics for them for the iconic Hawkins' solo, was shot and killed earlier that year (1979) as they were making the album, thus making it a tribute to both Hawkins and Jefferson. They dedicated the album to Eddie...
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

IMO Manhattan Transfer is pop music. And not very good pop music. At least they don't use auto-tune . . . .
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
IMO Manhattan Transfer is pop music. And not very good pop music. At least they don't use auto-tune . . . .
They're no more pop than the Swingle Singers or the Double Six of Paris.

Though that album, Extensions, tried hard to get into some pop territory, which they did with the Twilight Zone tune and a vocalese version of WR's Birdland.

Still, a little too eclectic to say it's pure pop.
Old 19th February 2019
You could say the same thing about movies. The west is dying.

Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

I don't have any research figures to quote but it must be that current pop has the biggest amount of non artist involvement, meaning songwriting and production, since pre-Beatles, right? That's what's scary to me. When I hear that kids don't mind seeing stars openly lip-sync in their concerts. Sing stuff they have no idea how to write or play. It's as if the idea of music being capable of meaning something deep is not even around anymore.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

There is still depth @ HarryDelmarva like

Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear
One thing that irks me is the vocal delivery in a lot of modern songs.
The incessant use of "Huh or Uh" during or at the end of a word. This song for example.
without uh .. watermelon uh .. suga uh.. high uh .. strawberry uh.
Yes its imploring, its pleading, its also overused

It has its place. David Bowie for example used it.. sparingly.
Its also common in Country music. I suppose technically, it would be termed as going from the diaphragm to the head voice. Pushing the breath through.Yes I,m of a certain age.
rant over
Old 6th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
One thing that irks me is the vocal delivery in a lot of modern songs.
The incessant use of "Huh or Uh" during or at the end of a word. This song for example.
without uh .. watermelon uh .. suga uh.. high uh .. strawberry uh.
Yes its imploring, its pleading, its also overused

It has its place. David Bowie for example used it.. sparingly.
Its also common in Country music. I suppose technically, it would be termed as going from the diaphragm to the head voice. Pushing the breath through.Yes I,m of a certain age.
rant over
You don't have to listen to it, i actually haven't listened to the new Harry Styles song but instead I know that Migos have been releasing good stuff lately, and Washed Out has a new album out and Big Sean has a great album out. It's so easy to be unaware of what's going on because everything is a niche.

Last edited by Deleted 5f4684d; 6th September 2020 at 10:23 PM..
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
^^ I,m more of a Soul guy
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

For soul @ Macky you may dig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_kV-MxBqzE
Old 8th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I don't have any research figures to quote but it must be that current pop has the biggest amount of non artist involvement, meaning songwriting and production, since pre-Beatles, right? That's what's scary to me. When I hear that kids don't mind seeing stars openly lip-sync in their concerts. Sing stuff they have no idea how to write or play. It's as if the idea of music being capable of meaning something deep is not even around anymore.
Not true, go listen to a Post Malone album, he's highly involved with every song, or Billie Eilish album, or Lana Del Rey.

New track "Life Is Good" with Drake and Future is fire, i bet they wrote it together, I can ask. https://youtu.be/l0U7SxXHkPY
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
I dig... indeed I do
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Not true, go listen to a Post Malone album, he's highly involved with every song, or Billie Eilish album, or Lana Del Rey.

New track "Life Is Good" with Drake and Future is fire, i bet they wrote it together, I can ask. https://youtu.be/l0U7SxXHkPY
You're quoting a post that's about 18 months old. But be that as it may:

You can't disprove what is a statistical majority by giving examples of what could be the exception.
Old 8th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
You're quoting a post that's about 18 months old. But be that as it may:

You can't disprove what is a statistical majority by giving examples of what could be the exception.
It sounds to me like people are jealous that they can't sing like some of these superstar artists, that they aren't young, don't have the money they have, and they aren't as good looking either. Sounds to me like a whole lot of jealousy, especially these days when you don't need to listen to something thats popular, where everything is a niche. I’ve seen some of the songs and song titles on twitter and i haven't listened to half of the songs. I don't even know what the new Bts song Dynamite sounds like and it's doing amazing statistically, but i don't have any interest to listen to it.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5f4684d View Post
It sounds to me like people are jealous that they can't sing like some of these superstar artists, that they aren't young, don't have the money they have, and they aren't as good looking either. Sounds to me like a whole lot of jealousy, especially these days when you don't need to listen to something thats popular, where everything is a niche.
Who are these "people" you're talking about now? You lost me.
Old 8th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Who are these "people" you're talking about now? You lost me.
People like the OP is a really good example.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds to me like a whole lot of jealousy . . .
How about that I just don't like it?
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
People like the OP is a really good example.
Here...
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
How about that I just don't like it?
Some things go beyond "like" and fall in the realm of objectively ascertainable.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some things go beyond "like" and fall in the realm of objectively ascertainable.
I was just kind of laughing about somebody thinking I or anyone else is "jealous" of these pop stars . . . I just can't stand to listen to their music. I can't tolerate most of what has passed for pop music since forever.

And - I don't really care about the debate over whether it's even more puerile than it was in the past. The video from the OP is by Thoughty2, and he's a bit of an opinionated arse IMO.

People buy pop music. People drink sugary beverages and eat carby snacks. At least their addiction to vapid music doesn't drive up health care costs.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I was just kind of laughing about somebody thinking I or anyone else is "jealous" of these pop stars . . . I just can't stand to listen to their music. I can't tolerate most of what has passed for pop music since forever.

And - I don't really care about the debate over whether it's even more puerile than it was in the past. The video from the OP is by Thoughty2, and he's a bit of an opinionated arse IMO.

People buy pop music. People drink sugary beverages and eat carby snacks.
I agree...

Quote:
At least their addiction to vapid music doesn't drive up health care costs.
I'm sure we can find an edge case to prove you wrong..
Old 8th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:

People buy pop music. People drink sugary beverages and eat carby snacks. At least their addiction to vapid music doesn't drive up health care costs.
Travis Scott just released a burger for Mcdonalds today so there you go, that's the link!

Personally I'd sell out for the money alone lol. I actually have a big song coming out next and oddly enough I got 50 US radio spins last week, 800 shazams on the song, and I own it 100% and it's a 5 year old song so I'm hopeful. I remember showing it to Sony back in the day and I was embarrassed because it's not meant for radio at all. If you told me I'd have some of these songs get airplay on kiis fm I would have laughed, you never know sometimes.

What I've noticed is that a lot of times, if someone gets hot, they'll get played on the radio regardless, that's how Post Malone Rockstar got airplay, it's not really a radio song because it's explicit but it played non stop. Circles was actually a song that got cut from the album, and they rediscovered it for his new album, and bam it got played like crazy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because the world is so terrible.
Because this terrible world wants you to be mediocre and stupid to have a good audience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Because the world is so terrible.
Because this terrible world wants you to be mediocre and stupid to have a good audience.
Sorry man, if what you're creating isn't what people want, you can either change, or try again in another life.

I don’t feel bad for people who aren't finding a base for their records, because me, psycho and others on here, will. You either whine that life isn't going your way, or you make steps to steer it in a different direction. Do you want to be a doer or a victim? It's a lot easier to sit on your ass and play the victim than it is to work hard towards something.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry man, if what you're creating isn't what people want, you can either change, or try again in another life.

I don’t feel bad for people who aren't finding a base for their records, because me, psycho and others on here, will. You either whine that life isn't going your way, or you make steps to steer it in a different direction. Do you want to be a doer or a victim? It's a lot easier to sit on your ass and play the victim than it is to work hard towards something.
I know.

People have every reason to give up and complain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
You could say the same thing about movies. The west is dying.

It's already dead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

I recommend checking out this documentary on Netflix about social media and our current generation we live in that I got a chance to look at.

It basically explains how at our core social media has trained us to value Psychological manipulation.

Filters, Fake Likes, news, views, ... it really tells a lot about the current state of the music industry as well. Fake pop stars who are faking it with tuning, fake boob, butt, rented cars, homes etc.. Everything is fake.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakalUK View Post
I recommend checking out this documentary on Netflix about social media and our current generation we live in that I got a chance to look at.

It basically explains how at our core social media has trained us to value Psychological manipulation.

Filters, Fake Likes, news, views, ... it really tells a lot about the current state of the music industry as well. Fake pop stars who are faking it with tuning, fake boob, butt, rented cars, homes etc.. Everything is fake.
Exactly
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't care about what you say.
If you are doer and wanna be a doer, first you need to understand what is around you and speak about that.
Being aware and being a victim is not the same thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear