The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moaning about the Lawn
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr View Post
You guys can really moan! You should try living in sunny western Norway on a 1/2 acre steeply sloping property. The height difference from the lowest to the highest point is around 50 feet. Thank God, only half of it is lawn, but I have to mow it once a week in the "summer".
So you go sideways or up and down? Honestly, lawnmowing was my favorite job earlier in life. Had my Sports Walkman on (went through several of those), just mow and wave to people driving by.

But steep hills, depended on my mood if I wanted to go up and down or side to side.
Old 26th August 2019
Deleted 4c3c464
Darn tooting. You made Canadian "northern" cities, look plumb south.
I live on the 43rd latitude in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr View Post
You guys can really moan! You should try living in sunny western Norway on a 1/2 acre steeply sloping property. The height difference from the lowest to the highest point is around 50 feet. Thank God, only half of it is lawn, but I have to mow it once a week in the "summer".
Old 26th August 2019
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
So you go sideways or up and down? Honestly, lawnmowing was my favorite job earlier in life. Had my Sports Walkman on (went through several of those), just mow and wave to people driving by.

But steep hills, depended on my mood if I wanted to go up and down or side to side.
Sideways, starting at the top.

Usually a 2-hour job. My knees arenยดt what they used to be, so I try to split it into 2 rounds of work, starting below the house and taking the part above the house the next day.

If no rain is forecast, that is.

Fat chance. Mostly it is a question of finding a window of opportunity between two rainy days, and do it all in one single day.
Old 26th August 2019
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAF Vu Master View Post
Darn tooting. You made Canadian "northern" cities, look plumb south.
I live on the 43rd latitude in Canada.
Yeah, to me that looks plumb south. Bergen is on the 60th latitude.
Old 5th July 2020
This Summer of 2020 has given me an additional reason to moan!

Last year, my mother bought a house near my neighborhood, which is quite nice BTW.

She hired someone to take care of the yard who turned out to be unreliable. I told her, if she would buy a lawnmower that I'd be willing to mow it. She took up my offer.

The house is a split level which means the front of the house is at street level while the backyard can be accesed via the basement. The sides of the house have very steep slopes which makes it even more labor intesive to cut. Thankfully the lawnmower can be self propelled when going uphill, but it's still a PITA.

The money I get paid comes in very handy so I really should not moan, but it's so damn hot outside it's hard not to. It takes about two hours to complete which includes mowing, weed eating, trimming bushes, and blowing the entrance walkway and the driveway.

A few days later, I have to mow my own lawn and I don't get paid for that!
Old 12th July 2020
My lawn was soooooooooooooo yellow I did not have to have it cut as it was not growing. Then two days ago we got 1/2 inches of rain so now it is all green and growing fast. The new weather patterns here in Ohio seem to be hotter than normal summers and milder winters. I guess with climate change we all have to learn to live with the new "normal". FWIW
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
My lawn was soooooooooooooo yellow I did not have to have it cut as it was not growing. Then two days ago we got 1/2 inches of rain so now it is all green and growing fast. The new weather patterns here in Ohio seem to be hotter than normal summers and milder winters. I guess with climate change we all have to learn to live with the new "normal". FWIW
I'm on the mid East Coast. The rainy season came extremely early this year, during late Winter instead of Spring. Lately, many yards have been turning yellow or have dry spots like mine. I've not cut it in about two and half weeks. I may have to water it to prevent it all from turning yellow. It feels like the onset of a drought.
Old 8th August 2020
We finally got some rain about 3-4 good rain storms in the past few weeks.

I fertilized the back yard and it was very labor intensive work! I was drenched in sweat. Even my socks were soaked with sweat ๐Ÿ˜“

The grass is already perking up and is greener. I hate doing yard work with a passion! Onward I moan about it.๐Ÿคฎ๐ŸŒฒโ˜˜๏ธ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿƒ๐ŸŒพ
Old 14th August 2020
Itโ€™s time to mow again!๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿคฌ The fertilizer is making the grass grow twice as fast.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear