The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo Twin MKII - Quality control issue
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Head

Apollo Twin MKII - Quality control issue

So after having the new Focusrite Gen 2 Scarlet 2i4 for a few months, I decided to upgrade my interface as Focusrite drivers were causing so many issues within Cubase 8.5.

I wanted something with better preamps and converters so it was between the RME Babyface Pro(first choice) and the new Apollo Twin MKII. I decided purchased the Twin DUO today as it was new in hope of better quality and converters and was excited to try it out and check the new features.

I installed everything and soon as I turned the power on....NOTHING. No lights, no indication whatsoever it was on . I have a high powered power supply for my equipment and all my other equipment worked perfectly. So Im assuming it must be a hardware issue with the Apollo. Either way, anything that doesnt work when you first buy it is a no keeper in my books. I should of went with me first instincts and bought the Babyface Pro. Will be returning the Apollo and ordering the Babyface for sure.
Old 19th February 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

I bought the Babyface Pro. Super low latency. You won't regret it.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwstudios View Post
So after having the new Focusrite Gen 2 Scarlet 2i4 for a few months, I decided to upgrade my interface as Focusrite drivers were causing so many issues within Cubase 8.5.

I wanted something with better preamps and converters so it was between the RME Babyface Pro(first choice) and the new Apollo Twin MKII. I decided purchased the Twin DUO today as it was new in hope of better quality and converters and was excited to try it out and check the new features.

I installed everything and soon as I turned the power on....NOTHING. No lights, no indication whatsoever it was on . I have a high powered power supply for my equipment and all my other equipment worked perfectly. So Im assuming it must be a hardware issue with the Apollo. Either way, anything that doesnt work when you first buy it is a no keeper in my books. I should of went with me first instincts and bought the Babyface Pro. Will be returning the Apollo and ordering the Babyface for sure.
You obviously got a dud, either the Twin itself or just the PSU. Inconvenient for sure, but whether it's "terrible quality" is impossible to say based on one anecdotal story.

What if there's one bad Twin for every 5,000 sold? What if you get the BabyFace and it works perfectly but in actuality there's one dud BabyFace for every 3000 sold? Is it still the case that the Twin is "worse" quality than the BabyFace?

I'm making up those numbers to make a point of course. I have no idea what the rate of issues is with either interface. But the thread title here is completely misleading. Should be "The Apollo Twin I bought doesnt power up and I'm upset about it".
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You obviously got a dud, either the Twin itself or just the PSU. Inconvenient for sure, but whether it's "terrible quality" is impossible to say based on one anecdotal story.

What if there's one bad Twin for every 5,000 sold? What if you get the BabyFace and it works perfectly but in actuality there's one dud BabyFace for every 3000 sold? Is it still the case that the Twin is "worse" quality than the BabyFace?

I'm making up those numbers to make a point of course. I have no idea what the rate of issues is with either interface. But the thread title here is completely misleading. Should be "The Apollo Twin I bought doesnt power up and I'm upset about it".
If I could like this post ten times I would.

Quote:

You might have missed your calling as a headline writer for newspapers, right now you'd be making a lot of money.
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Nut

bad title
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Head

Yes I suppose saying its "terrible quality" is a bit far. But ive never received a bad interface from all I purchased that wont even turn on. I have read this about other Twins but not so much about the babyface as the build quality seems to be superior.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Either way, anything that doesnt work when you first buy it is a no keeper in my books.
Why would you keep something that doesn't work?

You take/send it back to the store where you bought it, and get it EXCHANGED for one that does work!

Things happen in shipment. It's the store's responsibility that if you bought something that doesn't work to exchange it.

When I was a child for Christmas I was given a new Commodore 64 that didn't work. Did I cry and say, "anything that doesnt (sic) work when you first buy it is a no keeper in my books." and say I want an Apple computer instead and swore I'd never buy a Commodore computer ever again?

No...I waited until the store was reopened after Christmas and got it exchanged. Over the years I've also bought more Commodore products and even Amigas...all of them worked!
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Head

So I went up to my dealer to exchange. I had them test the new one before I accept it and even that one didn't work. I'm not liking these odds. Finally after getting a second one from the back it worked. Not sure if they received a bad batch or what but two units not working is starting to worry me. They extended my return to 90 days on the duo because of the problems so if I run into any other problems I have a longer period to return.
Old 19th February 2017
Gear Head

Well, I don't know what the deal is with the problems you have had. That said, saying the Twin (either version) is "Terrible Quality" is straight up BS. I have had one of the silver ones for 2 years along with a 16 and an 8. They work perfectly and I couldn't be happier and I know several people with the MKIIs and they are likewise happy.

I haven't been paying attention to Gearslutz for awhile. I was getting the impression that the overall quality of the posts and quality of the discussions was slipping into the trash. It seems I was right. I was reading a thread yesterday where someone was yammering about how U87s were highly overrated and his Rode mic sounded better.

Well, every website has its day. This was a great forum once upon a time. I would say the moment has passed.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Are they selling "B stock" ???
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

I had a similar experience with a Sound Devices box but would never even think to post something so accusatory. A rant post should really be more substantive than just getting a defective box.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

The days of the internet can be heaven or in this case hell for manufacturers.
UA's overall record speaks for itself.
Cheers
Old 19th February 2017
Here for the gear

I just want to echo what everyone else is saying here. UA produces top notch gear. You can buy a Ferrari and it can have issues when you drive it off the lot. Slamming a company/product on a public forum before you give them a chance to rectify the situation is poor form.
Old 19th February 2017
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:

RTFM and try again....
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

On my mk 1 you have to twist the cable/plug to seat it into place. I think so it doesn't pop out easily. If you just plug it in, it seems like it's not working. Took me a while to read the manual
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
The days of the internet can be heaven or in this case hell for manufacturers.
UA's overall record speaks for itself.
Cheers
Very much agree with this. I got an Apollo Twin ( USB3 model) about 4 months ago and to this day , it still does not work properly and in some cases, not at all.
It's not the end of the world but it is annoying to buy something that has about a 50-50 hit or miss compatibility/driver issue, with the known issues posted long after sales began.
Not UA's finest effort to date.
I got the Twin for tracking and portability, and to pad out my Octo's. IMHO, it's not an interface that can run a mix or ever be seen as a turnkey studio solution. Loading a big mix, the Twin falls over quickly. I see it as only a front end tool and for what it proposes to do, it's alluring to say the least.
But, I suspect because of the price point and in part due to the marketing, some will think this is a complete ADDA solution and will be sorely disappointed to learn it is not, nor was it intended to be.

While I completely disagree with the thread title bait that saw me click on this thread, I do think that UA , with their Twin line, has exposed their brand to a whole different type of buyer community attracted to the price point of a Twin as their gateway to the UAD2 plugin platform. And that means selling volumes of units to a wider end user community expecting to rely upon that brands quality based on past performance.
From what I am finding out clicking around the internet and forums, the Twin line(s) are in fact a bit hit and miss. ecause of software integration and compatibility issues, it's to be expected to a certain extent but there are also reports of doa's on bothe MK1 and MK2 product lines.
While overall, UA reputation does speak for itself, the Twin lines do not universally live up to that reputation at thisd time, thats just a fact that is slowly becoming more apparent.
But the hardware is hardly a "terrible" quality, on the contrary. It's a beautiful,brilliant design and awesome concept for a front end tracking tool that perhaps got rushed to market a bit before it was ready, and whatever possible shortcomings may have hindered it's roll out, are becoming obvious, both in the software development and in hardware QA.
But there is some merit to what the OP attempted to say , albeit very poorly worded and a bit too emotionally sensationalised to be a thread headline or lead in to the important discussion. ymmv
Old 20th February 2017
Quote:
So I went up to my dealer to exchange. I had them test the new one before I accept it and even that one didn't work. I'm not liking these odds. Finally after getting a second one from the back it worked. Not sure if they received a bad batch or what but two units not working is starting to worry me. They extended my return to 90 days on the duo because of the problems so if I run into any other problems I have a longer period to return.
So - THEY tried to power one on and it didn't work?

Sounds like a bad batch of power adaptors to me - or as someone mentioned, they're not twisting in the power cable to latch it like you're meant to initially.

I've got 3 UAD devices, and they've all been flawless - even though I've carried the FW accelerator around with me in a backpack for a good year.

The return period sounds like good customer service to me.

I've edited your title to properly reflect your issues - going by the rules of the forum, it's a little close to the wire...
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Head

I have since received a working unit and so far everything sounds amazing! Much better than the first Apollo. Though i have ordered the RME babyface pro, I want to compare the two. This will be very interested.

I apologize for the improper title! I wasn't referring to the Sound quality, more so quality control during production. I know most of you mis-understood me but that was my mistake. I never had to go through so much trouble to get a working interface. To make matters worst, my dealer is about an hour away. Though they took care of me and have outstanding customer service. Made me feel much better about giving the MKii a second chance.
Old 21st February 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

How will you feel the day after the warranty expires and the unit goes DOA?
Old 21st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 View Post
How will you feel the day after the warranty expires and the unit goes DOA?
There's no reason to suggest the unit will expire any time soon, and since "DOA" means "dead on arrival" and since it's already there, it can't ARRIVE dead.

Basically, the problem has been solved. As I said, I've got 3 UAD products, 2 out of warranty, and they're all fine.
Old 21st February 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
There's no reason to suggest the unit will expire any time soon, and since "DOA" means "dead on arrival" and since it's already there, it can't ARRIVE dead.

Basically, the problem has been solved. As I said, I've got 3 UAD products, 2 out of warranty, and they're all fine.
You know what I meant by DOA. It will die a horrible death the day the warranty runs out.

My experience over the last many years is if I have trouble with a piece of gear or for that matter any electronics at the start, it doesn't go well in the long run. I have had trouble with a number of pieces of gear, while tons of gear still works flawlessly 25 years later. BUT- When I had trouble at the start, I would regret buying the piece later on. My experience.

I'm sure it will work as it should...
Old 21st February 2017
Quote:
You know what I meant by DOA. It will die a horrible death the day the warranty runs out.
There's no reason to suggest that this is more or less likely to die any sooner or later than any other piece of gear.

My money is on dodgy power supplies. Without knowing what the shop did or didn't try to eliminate the fault, or knowing exactly what happened (if the unit never powered on it's most likely).

Quote:
My experience over the last many years is if I have trouble with a piece of gear or for that matter any electronics at the start, it doesn't go well in the long run. I have had trouble with a number of pieces of gear, while tons of gear still works flawlessly 25 years later. BUT- When I had trouble at the start, I would regret buying the piece later on. My experience.
I don't disagree - but he hasn't had issues with THIS piece of gear - the one he had issues with has gone back. Thousands of people are using the Twins with no issues (it's probably the most common interface I see come into the studio with travelling writers, and it's universally loved).

The Twin is solidly built, relay switched, they're great boxes. Much more substantial than other offerings (well - some other offerings - the Apogee stuff is similar build quality for example).

2 issues straight off is unfortunate - but this isn't like buying a car that needs constant warranty repairs (where I would agree with you).

Quote:
I'm sure it will work as it should...
Me too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

<Deleted by Moderator) I have a brand-new apollo twin mk 2 and i can't get it to power on as well. It seems as if the chord has a short so I'm also thinking its trash.

Last edited by Synth Guru; 4 weeks ago at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search