The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Endless unproductive Software VS Hardware Bickering - Will it EVER end? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Will a hardware-only forum get rid of the endless bickering?
Yes - Make a new forum or rename this one and actively discourage the nonsense
13 Votes - 13.83%
No - Nothing you do will make the bickering stop, EVER!
33 Votes - 35.11%
Who cares?
48 Votes - 51.06%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Then persons might have to discuss music and technology rather than stoop to childish Xbox vs PlayStation or Ford vs Chevy
Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily!
Ford = Found On Road Dead!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
Was thinking that there should be some kind of forum medal we could give to the "actually, I don't even use a computer" crew in appreciation of their superior knowledge and taste so that they don't have to wade in to threads to let everyone know.
Old 9th January 2017
Deleted User
Has anyone considered one's age:
I was told this old adage (whether true or not)
"Youth and vigour is no match for old age and treachery"

I mean I have to read quite closely to guess at what one's age may be....
After all, ageism is a two edge sword, but as the youth's blade is probably
sharper, they may end of cutting themselves, or worse, falling on said blade!!!!!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You simply didn't ask your question the proper way.

Seriously though, think of how much shorter threads would be if just the question would be answered and the only the correct question would float up to the top.
Maybe I should ask in German since it doesn't suffer a lot of the ambiguities the English language does. I'd go with Latin, but the vocabulary for dealing with electronics just isn't there yet.

The big problem is, people just assume that if you are asking such-and-such question, you know nothing about what you are asking and try to fill in the blanks from what they had problems with when they were noobs.

If I try to answer someone here, I read the post at least twice. I may not always get it right, but at least I don't intentionally make posters feel bad for posting. And if I have... Oops...
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Do you even analog, bruh?!?

I just speed read most threads I'm interested in and fully pay attention when there may be something for me to learn. That said, I spend way too much time here.
hehe I only analog part time

Truth be told, there is good information on GS and there is good music on GS... but you do have to sort through quite a bit of irrelevant banter to get to it. I cancelled my GS account as I grew tired of the banter, but then re-joined when I realised there were people with honest straight forward questions that weren't getting answered. Questions I could have answered, so I joined to help out and return the favour (as others helped me out years ago when I made the switch from guitar based music to electronic music).
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Ah, I see. Softsynth users are peaceloving people of high integrity and morals who are the victims of the forever evil hardware users with their "agendas"

Poorly worded I suppose. My point was, making a seperate forums isn't going to stop the issue the OP has.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I don't know why people have to be so political about everything. I would blame the kids, but I'm sure there are some old farts here who are carrying on the tradition of trolling FTW.
But of course in this neighborhood, people have to argue about all these toys rather than celebrate them and show what they can do. Humans, go figure.
You are the one being so political, and creating those arguments.

Someone who voices an opinion that you do not agree with is not necessarily trolling.

Look at yourself when saying that people here have to argue, that is what you are doing when you feel your uncontrollable urge to defend gear from other people's opinions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I feel pretty weird being on a music forum devoted to electronic music and defending ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS of all things. Go figure.

But that's what I do around here. Defend romplers. Defend softsynths. Defend VAs. Defend... polyanalogs. I had a lengthy dissertation typed out explaining why everything should be peachy neato keen for everyone, but it's been said already. Everyone has their opinions, so I'm resigned to it.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

This thread is much worse than the normal analogue v digital threads. poor job OP
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

The closer the software will sound to the hardware, the less software vs hardware "bickering" there wil be.

Look at Synapse The Legend and U-He Repro-1 threads.
Most of us can clarly hear that these plugins sound almost exactly like the hardware they emulate, so anyone who wants to start arguing about how totally different the sound is, gets quickly shut down and/or ignored.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
If you pay for your software, and keep updating it as well as your computers to run it, you're more likely to end with a money drain and stuff worth nothing unless you're Hans Zimmer. A bit of balance between outboard and software mitigates this.
Crazy idea:

Don't update so often or never, I'm still running live 8 for example. Why do we have to keep acquiring and updating gear? Cant you just stop at a point and say this is my palette and get on with the music production.

I am sure there are far more "collectors" on gearslutz then care to admit it. I really don't have a problem with people acquiring a stupid amount of gear they will never make a finished track on; I just don't like it when they are "educating" noobies telling them that the only way to make anything half decent is with some comparably very expensive gear when they could be exploring their ideas quite happily with the right (possibly free) software.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I like the forum. Electronic music is such a massive umbrella, from prog to EDM, ambient to IDM covering a huge age group. The gear is equally diverse, from antient modulars to soft synths.

While this is always going to bring up bickering and fiece debate I think the diversity makes it the most interesting sub forum on GS.

As with every subject most people are grey but you will always get the ones who only see black or white and will fight their corner to the end, just the way it is whatever the subject.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Debate is good but it would not hurt to have a forum for each where people are just looking for info and discussion on there ax of choice.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think that the more vanishingly small the differences are, the more hyperbolic the discussion becomes. "This digital synth's saw wave has a barely noticeable edge in the mid-high frequency range I find absent in this other analogue synth's saw wave, which thus sounds just slightly sweeter to my ears, when played absolutely raw and not utilized in any way you'd utilize it in an actual patch" turns into "digital sucks and kills grannies randomly within a 10 mile radius every time it's turned on, whereas analogue has brought me so much gold I've bought my own island in the Pacific and populated it with a massive collection of random sex fantasy objects of my choice! Up Yours, Trump!" -- or something like that.

It's all fun.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Home>The Forums>Music Computers?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Except in electronic music, they're _ALL_ computers.

The very first oscillator ever made, I believe (working from memory, not Google), if you discount the pipes in pipe organs and church organs as additive synths.... was made by a little company in California by the name of Hewlett Packard. Analogue oscillator. Cost the equivalent of the price of a house at the time. For one oscillator.

Now you can have 256 of them in one synth, if you want.

The most popular current Eurorack modules are, guess what? Little specialized computers!

All synths made are specialized computers.

So the real debate between "keyboards" and "computers" is, is it better to have a specialized computer, or a general purpose computer that will serve essentially the same purpose along with a bunch of others?

Good we have choices. It's always a question in any endeavour: do you want one thing that can be repurposed to do many different things, or do you prefer specialized things that serve specific purposes? There are advantages and disadvantages to each, though I think the usual claim in the world of computers, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, is becoming increasingly irrelevant as a criticism. It still applies when it comes to performance surface, however; that remains an unsolved problem.

Computer interface technology in general is still quite primitive; amazing we can do as much with it as we can. The latest fad to hype voice control is, like VR, I think another mis-step; interface is always a question of speed, accuracy and convenience. The ultimate environment requiring optimization of all three is a modern combat fighter jet I/O environment. While we won't need instant response in a six degrees of freedom environment quite yet for everything we do with computers (it's an environment that birds are better designed by evolution than humans to deal with, btw, cf. the eyeball placement), it's a useful metaphor to consider when thinking about optimizing interface and interaction, even for something as low-bandwidth as playing a keyboard.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Isn't debate 'things', even endlessly and, possibly, in a circular way, one of the possible goals of a forum ?

besides afficionados of this or that (hw or sw only) guys, you'll also find a lot of people I think, like the humble me, who still think they are more/less different, in a number of ways, and like, and use, both.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
Verbal kung fu is the spice of life. Passionate opinions can make a good read. Sometimes they make me look at things in a different way.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

LotuZia your patches and sound sets are a real marvel, thank you. I aspire to a fraction of your ear and ingenuity in my own use of synthesis. Great to see you here!
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Guru

You made me curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
The very first oscillator ever made, I believe (working from memory, not Google), if you discount the pipes in pipe organs and church organs as additive synths.... was made by a little company in California by the name of Hewlett Packard. Analogue oscillator. Cost the equivalent of the price of a house at the time. For one oscillator.
$54.40 for a house? Bargain!

HP Virtual Museum: Model 200A audio oscillator, 1939

Alistair
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
That forum is to discuss computers. Computers for every aspect of audio. Nothing specific to electronic music. Plugin discussion doesn't belong in that forum (unless you are having trouble installing one or something like that...)

Alistair
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
LotuZia your patches and sound sets are a real marvel, thank you. I aspire to a fraction of your ear and ingenuity in my own use of synthesis. Great to see you here!
Thanks a lot realtrance. Glad you like them
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
This thread is much worse than the normal analogue v digital threads. poor job OP
Your off topic post is much worse than the normal analogue v digital threads. poor job sam
Old 10th January 2017
Deleted User
CANADA

Hugh Le Caine not only built the world's first voltage controlled music synthesizer (1945).....

Hugh Le Caine 1914-1977 - Canada Science and Technology Museum
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
You made me curious:

$54.40 for a house? Bargain!

HP Virtual Museum: Model 200A audio oscillator, 1939

Alistair
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure that at the dawn of the internet, the first two things ever sent across the network was one person making a statement and the other guy telling him he was full of sh!t.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
U got democrats and republicans, bloods and crips
Cavs fans warriors fans. Human nature dictates the masses end up in one of 2 camps. With a small percentage thinking out the box. It's pretty standard
Old 10th January 2017
< Any feedback on how this forum should be, is welcome.
The differences between hardware, software in discussions, we thought up the tag system for that. Whenever you start a thread, you're prompted to assign a tag, a category. The goal is then, press "hardware" and you only see the discussions about hardware. No need to split the forum. You see what you want to see. But it's not really there yet. I hope this year, I think it's a nice way to sort out preferred forum view.
Why not split up the forum? There've been calls to give modular synths a subforum. But then.... we'd have 100 subfora really soon. And then we'd spend a lot of time clicking to go into these subfora, and it would quickly turn into a mess.
You see, the nice thing about this forum is that EVERYTHING regarding electronic music production is discussed.
This way you don't get an "echochamber" effect and you're exposed to different methods and gear, things that might've escaped your attention before.
That might annoy you, so I hope the internet overlords can fully implement the tag system, so you'll only see hardware or software, if you want. >
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
so I hope the internet overlords can fully implement the tag system, so you'll only see hardware or software, if you want. >
How exciting! I absolutely love this idea! Thanks!

It's cool to be an internet overlord too!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

It gets confusing when 2 guys are talking about their SSL bus compressor and one guy is talking about a plugin, while the other is talking about the real actual hardware unit.
Same for API, plugin users should call out more clearly what they use, so it's clear they use WAVES, Slate or UAD etc.
Maybe make vendor name mandatory when name dropping, i.e: "My Prophet [Arturia] went through API 2500 [WAVES] on the mixbus, right after my SSL 9K channelstrip [Softube]" so everyone understands what they are talking about.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that the more vanishingly small the differences are, the more hyperbolic the discussion becomes. "This digital synth's saw wave has a barely noticeable edge in the mid-high frequency range I find absent in this other analogue synth's saw wave, which thus sounds just slightly sweeter to my ears, when played absolutely raw and not utilized in any way you'd utilize it in an actual patch" turns into "digital sucks and kills grannies randomly within a 10 mile radius every time it's turned on, whereas analogue has brought me so much gold I've bought my own island in the Pacific and populated it with a massive collection of random sex fantasy objects of my choice! Up Yours, Trump!" -- or something like that.

It's all fun.
I'm going to need another coffee or a really, really early cocktail to digest that.

well done!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Except in electronic music, they're _ALL_ computers
All synths made are specialized computers.
No, and no.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search