The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Endless unproductive Software VS Hardware Bickering - Will it EVER end? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Will a hardware-only forum get rid of the endless bickering?
Yes - Make a new forum or rename this one and actively discourage the nonsense
13 Votes - 13.83%
No - Nothing you do will make the bickering stop, EVER!
33 Votes - 35.11%
Who cares?
48 Votes - 51.06%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Its not a terrible idea to have an electronic music outboard gear forum, just to keep it all on track, but don't we all use computers? You'd feel that the forum is only part of the conversation.

Its probably just a sign of the times that there's so much debate about software versus outboard. Software is encroaching on outboard in pretty exciting ways, even analog domain, every year moreso. I'm interested in what people have to say.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I for one encourage you older guys to stick to your beliefs about hardware. you should continue to stock pile it in your studios at increasingly higher costs; then when you pass on your unenlightened relatives can sell your gear at a silly low prices or donate it to the local opportunity shop.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes it will.

No it won't.

Yes it will.

No it won't.

Yes it will.

No it won't...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's never going to end if people keep making threads and polls about it.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
I for one encourage you older guys to stick to your beliefs about hardware. you should continue to stock pile it in your studios at increasingly higher costs; then when you pass on your unenlightened relatives can sell your gear at a silly low prices or donate it to the local opportunity shop.
If you pay for your software, and keep updating it as well as your computers to run it, you're more likely to end with a money drain and stuff worth nothing unless you're Hans Zimmer. A bit of balance between outboard and software mitigates this.
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
The discussion is absolutely fine, save for the dunning-kruger effect.
Has XKCD done a plot yet of where people place themselves on the Dunning-Kruger curve vs how many times they have read about Dunning-Kruger in online forums?
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 9th January 2017
Just a reminder this is about the thread derailing off-topic bickering. Not about which gear is actually better....
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think the issue is even just hardware vs. software. There are tons of people making hyperbolic claims about certain products being "garbage" or "unusable" and every other absurd thing you can think of. I had been away from the forum for some time and recently came back to read the scuttlebutt about some newer products only to promptly close the tab in my browser and look elsewhere for....1. Reviews from people who have actually used the product, instead of reviews from people who have listened to a few youtube demos. 2. Discussion by resonable people.

I also suspect that many on this forum do far more talking about gear, buying and selling of gear, than actually using gear.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

A separate softsynths subforum would be a good idea anyway.
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
I'm interested in what people have to say.
So am I but within context. If I am trying to discus about models of patchbays and somebody starts in with software title X eliminates the need for any patchbays it doesn't help my decision at all because I need an actual patchbay and I am not about to completely tear down my entire studio and throw it away in order to use software title X. I understand that the person who posted about software title X may have actually been trying to be helpful but usually what results is the next n postings being all about the hardware vs software debate escalating into much useless information to the point where I give up on having any reasonable discourse about my original topic and go look for answers in another gear site instead.

It just seems to me that it behooves gearslutz to at least attempt to discourage the ensuing snowball effect fanaticism to prevent people from getting disgusted with this site and going elsewhere for answers.

I bought an MPC 2500 yesterday. Prior to doing so I had many questions about the thing which I didn't even bother trying to find answers for here knowing every thread on the subject would require wading through seemingly endless off-topic nonsense page after page. And I didn't dare create a thread here with my questions knowing that as soon as somebody unhelpfully posted that I should use some software instead my thread would essentially be over and any useful information potentially gleaned would not be forthcoming.

So I went elsewhere and found my answers.
Old 9th January 2017
Deleted User
Another neat feature as an alternative, would be an IGNORE THREAD.
So, I could click on a thread with no interest to me, and poof, it is gone.
Or old-school it as I do now, just pass by the thread!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

No sense having segregated forums, people will jump the fence anyway.

If I go to Yamaha froums (like Motifator) I can read people trashing Yamaha and suggesting we should all buy Korgs.

I can go to a Nikon camera forum and read posts suggesting to trash your Nikon and buy a Canon instead.

When I go to a Toyota car forum the Kia and Hyundai folks will stop by to bitch about Corollas.

And on and on....

Face it, people like to argue and some will go back and forth page after page to defend their argument against all comers.

Best way to avoid it...stay off teh interwebz.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
No sense having segregated forums, people will jump the fence anyway.
of course not, why would one participate in a discussion about a softsynth if one doesn't use softsynths at all?
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
of course not, why would one participate in a discussion about a softsynth if one doesn't use softsynths at all?

Oh please, I promise you...on GS...SOMEONE would come screaming into the software only forum trying to shove their hardware agenda in someone else's face...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

This is a problem on almost every forum I've frequented. I think of it as "answering the question I think you should have asked" rather than "answering the question you asked". On an motorcycle forum I once asked about mesh riding jackets that has a certain feature and a bunch of people started talking about how mesh jackets are protective enough and only idiots would wear them while riding. I ended up getting very rude to them to chase them off my thread. If you ask (A OR B) half of the responses will be (C). Thats probably why, after a few years on GS, I've never started a thread. I'll find my answers on my own.

So, aside from public ridicule, I don't know anything that will keep people from jumping into threads answering questions that weren't asked.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

This is a forum where people discuss things. All things. I never understood why people get so upset about things like this. It's so easy to simply not participate.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
This is a problem on almost every forum I've frequented. I think of it as "answering the question I think you should have asked" rather than "answering the question you asked". On an motorcycle forum I once asked about mesh riding jackets that has a certain feature and a bunch of people started talking about how mesh jackets are protective enough and only idiots would wear them while riding. I ended up getting very rude to them to chase them off my thread. If you ask (A OR B) half of the responses will be (C). Thats probably why, after a few years on GS, I've never started a thread. I'll find my answers on my own.

So, aside from public ridicule, I don't know anything that will keep people from jumping into threads answering questions that weren't asked.
Heh. Don't EVER ask a simple question on a programming forum. They will insult your intelligence, answer every question you didn't ask as it was already explained as understood in the original post and then they will insult you some more! Oh, and will never actually get around to answering your original question as they're too busy fighting amongst themselves over some esoteric, useless point someone got wrong in one of the non-answers.

Happens every damn time.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Addict

There are two forms joined here. One for people who like to collect ancient analog gear and think -25 DBFS is the level music should be mastered at and play 80s and 90s synth jam music. The other is people who think all hardware should have audio over usb and make EDM at -4DBFS.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Heh. Don't EVER ask a simple question on a programming forum. They will insult your intelligence, answer every question you didn't ask as it was already explained as understood in the original post and then they will insult you some more! Oh, and will never actually get around to answering your original question as they're too busy fighting amongst themselves over some esoteric, useless point someone got wrong in one of the non-answers.

Happens every damn time.
As long as the opening brace is at the end of the line with the conditional (as god intended), not the next line.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
As long as the opening brace is at the end of the line with the conditional (as god intended), not the next line.
Oh hell no! It belongs on the next line, all by itself so I can find the ****ing thing and match it to its mate sitting several lines below in the same column!

Enough of that crazy talk!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

The analogue vs digital argument was the big one for years, no reason to have separate forums for that. Plus, who wants to be in a forum where our analogue elitists are sharking about, chopping up n00bs who dare run analogue synths into digital mixers?

And what about the jdxa owners? Would they have a special half and half forum or would they be free to turn all threads to discussions about their Lord and savior, JX Christ?
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

The only thing that'd really change this is the mods more actively closing the stream of worthless slapfest threads and making "analog v digital v software v itb" and product speculation threads unwelcome.

Then persons might have to discuss music and technology rather than stoop to childish Xbox vs PlayStation or Ford vs Chevy tribalism rants.

It's usually the same people too, I know how a thread is going if I see the same persons I have on ignore in a stream of hidden posts.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
This is a forum where people discuss things. All things. I never understood why people get so upset about things like this. It's so easy to simply not participate.
If I wanted to watch people slap each other around, I'd just hit up Facebook.

Even Reddit seems to avoid these silly arguments, and their userbase is terrrrible.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
If I wanted to watch people slap each other around, I'd just hit up Facebook.

Even Reddit seems to avoid these silly arguments, and their userbase is terrrrible.
I get it. There's plenty of redundancy here. I just ignore most of the threads that I would anticipate being annoyed by. And it really doesn't matter because I only come to GS when I'm bored at work or taking a sh*t so it's wasted time regardless.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think I set off OP when I uncharacteristically created this thread in a moment of weakness a few days ago:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...dows-10-a.html

In any case, I never updated that thread because it was merely a rant, and I wanted the thread to die off on its own from unpopularity.

The funny part is half of the issues I was experiencing were due to user error, the user being me of course.
Old 9th January 2017
no... pointless, endless debates will never end, answers to questions may get answered, but will be watered down with answers that have nothing to do with the questions asked in hopes to create another conversation & debate... why? simple... people come here to waste time, people use facebook to waste time, people use computers to waste time... we may try to convince ourselves that we have other goals... but if you're making music as a hobby, your hobby is a time waster, and to waste further time from your music, you share it, blog about it and argue about it.

What are we talking about anyway... oh yah right... this is about weight lifting... well if you can't workout using 45 lb. increments than your ####ing stupid !!! hehehehehe
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega View Post

Oh please, I promise you...on GS...SOMEONE would come screaming into the software only forum trying to shove their hardware agenda in someone else's face...
Ah, I see. Softsynth users are peaceloving people of high integrity and morals who are the victims of the forever evil hardware users with their "agendas"
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Heh. Don't EVER ask a simple question on a programming forum. They will insult your intelligence, answer every question you didn't ask as it was already explained as understood in the original post and then they will insult you some more!
You simply didn't ask your question the proper way.

Seriously though, think of how much shorter threads would be if just the question would be answered and the only the correct question would float up to the top.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Heal View Post
What are we talking about anyway... oh yah right... this is about weight lifting... well if you can't workout using 45 lb. increments than your ####ing stupid !!! hehehehehe
Do you even analog, bruh?!?

I just speed read most threads I'm interested in and fully pay attention when there may be something for me to learn. That said, I spend way too much time here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search