The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stedman View Post
I bought it to return it and get $150. If I had any plans of wanting or keeping an akai synth I wouldn't have returned it. I digress.
I'm just messin with you. Sorry if I've come across as obnoxious, I'm in kind of a weird mood today. Anyway, I hear where you're coming from. Guitar center really does foster an environment where people will do anything to get a sale and it's sad.
Old 14th December 2017
Not really audio-topic...

I was out buying a new phone and found this sort of good offering, while looking at the phone and the price etc a salesguy comes up start telling what an awesome device this was.

It had this and that and even thot as well as thet and so on, after a 12-15! minutes of show off with "THE" device he asked if I had any questions and I said: can I use it as a phone? and he went speechless for about a minute and his look was like I was some sort of space-alien, he answered "yes" with some shaky voice and I gave the guy a friendly clap on his shoulder and said, well then I'll take it, just because you really gave me the most stupid look of the year.

He started laughing wildly while we went to the store-exit and told me that he really learned something today and wished me a good day.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
"Buy this for $150, return it and get $300 back". Who would look him in the eye and say "Oh no no no".
Then why didn't you buy 5 of them for $750 and return them for $1500?
Old 16th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That was his pitch, which inevitably got me to buy the product. "Buy this for $150, return it and get $300 back". Who would look him in the eye and say "Oh no no no". I guess you're that guy? I'm in the wrong for believing what he was saying? He's wrong for ever even suggesting such a thing, but who was I to know that hadn't been done before in that store? I'm going off what he's telling me. He does work there after all.
I'm curious... in what order did your ethics, pride, morality, and honesty disappear?
Old 25th February 2018
I recently bought a used Fender Bassman neo 115 cabinet from GC online. I went to pick it up in store and Purple Haze was playing overhead. I overheard these two GC staff kids chatting, "I like this song but the recording is so terrible." The other kid says "Well, it was the 70s!!"
Old 26th February 2018
Deleted User
When I asked a GC salesman why the Mackie vocal monitor on display didn't work, he rambled for at least four minutes about how customers beat the sh-t out of all the floor models and break everything on display. A few minutes later, I noticed there was a SoundCraft digital mixer on sale for $159, about half the usual price, so I called the salesman back to ask him about it. "It's a display model," he told me, "and that's why it's on sale."

"Oh, but you just told me all your display models get beaten up by customers, so I guess I shouldn't trust this SoundCraft board then, huh?"

"Uh, no. It's just an open-box piece, where somebody bought it and returned it the same day. Still we've got to sell it as open-box."

"For half the price of new?"

"Yeah, well, it's been on display now for a while."

"All right, so which is it? Is it a brand new 'open-box' item, or is it a display model that's had the sh-t kicked out of it by customers?"

"It's...give me a minute. Maybe I can sell you a new one for the same price."

(Ten minutes later)

"No, sorry. I can't sell you a new one for $159, but my manager says I can give you a brand new one for $289."

"OK, but what about the one on the floor for $159. Does that one work?"

"I don't know."

"Is there a way to test it?"

"I don't think so."

"You don't THINK so, or you know there's no way to test it?"

"It probably works. If it doesn't, you can bring it back."

"Well, how do I know the first guy who bought it didn't bring it back because it wasn't working?"

"I already told you this was a floor model!"

"No, you told me it was an open-box that somebody bought and returned the same day."

And the madness went on until I ran out of steam and walked out. I'd love to have had that SoundCraft for $159, though.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
When I asked a GC salesman why the Mackie vocal monitor on display didn't work, he rambled for at least four minutes about how customers beat the sh-t out of all the floor models and break everything on display. A few minutes later, I noticed there was a SoundCraft digital mixer on sale for $159, about half the usual price, so I called the salesman back to ask him about it. "It's a display model," he told me, "and that's why it's on sale."

"Oh, but you just told me all your display models get beaten up by customers, so I guess I shouldn't trust this SoundCraft board then, huh?"

"Uh, no. It's just an open-box piece, where somebody bought it and returned it the same day. Still we've got to sell it as open-box."

"For half the price of new?"

"Yeah, well, it's been on display now for a while."

"All right, so which is it? Is it a brand new 'open-box' item, or is it a display model that's had the sh-t kicked out of it by customers?"

"It's...give me a minute. Maybe I can sell you a new one for the same price."

(Ten minutes later)

"No, sorry. I can't sell you a new one for $159, but my manager says I can give you a brand new one for $289."

"OK, but what about the one on the floor for $159. Does that one work?"

"I don't know."

"Is there a way to test it?"

"I don't think so."

"You don't THINK so, or you know there's no way to test it?"

"It probably works. If it doesn't, you can bring it back."

"Well, how do I know the first guy who bought it didn't bring it back because it wasn't working?"

"I already told you this was a floor model!"

"No, you told me it was an open-box that somebody bought and returned the same day."

And the madness went on until I ran out of steam and walked out. I'd love to have had that SoundCraft for $159, though.
Lol. Why not just grab a speaker from the store display and ask to plug it in?
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear
I was a manager there once...

"If you work here long enough, we'll pay you more"
Old 27th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
Lol. Why not just grab a speaker from the store display and ask to plug it in?
Well, in his defense, fully testing the SoundCraft would have involved connecting an iPad with the proper app installed, getting the wifi working, and plugging in some sound sources. It wouldn't have been as easy as just plugging it in to a speaker. But if he was sure the thing worked, he could have offered to set it up to demonstrate, then called it off when I couldn't produce an iPad from my pocket.
Old 9th March 2018
"not buying these strings is going to cost you" ~GC Employee
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainmack View Post
"not buying these strings is going to cost you" ~GC Employee
GC store mananger: "You need to sell product X because we make more money off it."
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
I was trying to return a defective sm58 to the 'Pro Audio' dept at Guitar Center the other day...here's the conversation:

me- This thing isn't working. Gain cranked, no signal.

sales genius- Oh, sometimes these need a little phantom power for that "extra boost."

me- No, it's a dynamic microphone. They don't require phantom power.

sales genius- Oh yeah I know, but uhhm, sometimes the phantom power will really boost the signal.

Which salesman did you get Beavis or Butthead?
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
GC store mananger: "You need to sell product X because we make more money off it."
haha ya thats what was going thru my head.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
I never go to the one in Marietta (GA) because of stuff similar to the other stories in this thread.
Ancient post, but I thought it was funny. Shortly after moving to north Atlanta in 2000 I applied for a position at that store just to have a starter job in the area. I got into a full on argument with a manager during my interview and left.
Old 16th March 2018
Walked in to browse.

Saw a used Dangerous Liasion for a great price.

I figured I’d ask about it for a friend who was talking about getting one.

Me: “hey... do you know anything about this Liasion? That’s a great price man.”

GC sales guy: yea... we got it in earlier today but had to discount it. We got it on a trade and can’t get audio from it.”

Me: oh well... can you I give you my number to call me if you get it to work? I have a buddy who might want it.

GC: you should let him know we also got in another great piece from the same trade. I think he might like it.

Me: really? What is it?

GC Guy goes behind the counter and picks up a focusrite liquid channel rack.

As he starts talking about this thing, another salesman walks over, oblivious to my presence, and asks him:

“ did that guy who was here before buy the Dangerous? I know how bad you wanted that thing”

I turned to him and asked for a manager.

Explained that I want to buy the Liasion but not from that sales guy because he was dishonest. I asked that he hold the unit for an hour so I could grab my wife and get my card from the car.

I came back, bought it, and then returned it to a different GC THE NEXT DAY JUST TO BE A PRICK.

Dude didn’t deserve a Liasion. Haha.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
Ancient post, but I thought it was funny. Shortly after moving to north Atlanta in 2000 I applied for a position at that store just to have a starter job in the area. I got into a full on argument with a manager during my interview and left.
christ, the guitar centers in the Atlanta area I have been to are a nightmare. Are you talking about the one that is situated in what looks like an old jiffy lube/gas station etc?

if there is a gc hell, that is one of them...
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

FIRST
WORLD
PROBLEMS.

Can't be bothered. My local GC's are not the greatest known to man, but they do the best they can do.

Slagging on GC is a Hyena move. They do good things too
Old 17th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
FIRST
WORLD
PROBLEMS.

Can't be bothered. My local GC's are not the greatest known to man, but they do the best they can do.

Slagging on GC is a Hyena move. They do good things too
Could you elaborate? What exactly does "do good things too" refer to?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 26th March 2018 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Misspelling dosa
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Could you elaborate? What exactly dopes "do good things too" refer to?

Oh my god AND three likes (clearly following you)

Dope don't do anything. But GC does many things right. Honestly, go back to the cave-of-doy.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

One good thing that my local GC does (not sure if all do this) is allow people come in to do private transactions from Craigslist and such. I went to GC with a buddy to buy a keyboard from a private seller. A salesman let us bring it in the store, plug in to an and fully test it.
Old 9th April 2018
When I was 20 (17 years ago now) I had already been mixing for three years and had been a musician for a dozen. I tried to get a part time job at GC for some extra income. I showed up to the group interview along with maybe 10 or 15 other people of all ages. I was one of the only people with a resume in hand and for all I know the only one who's resume contained proof of knowledge about the gear.
The manager had this to say to us:

"We don't really care if your resume is full of experience at big name studios or that you have previous sales experience. All we care about is that you show us your passion for being here. The last guy we hired never had a job before, but he called me twice a day for three days asking for the job, so he's the one that got it!"

I walked out and suddenly all of my future experience with GC made so much sense...
Old 9th April 2018
It reminds me of Radio Shack's old (modified) moto::
"You got questions? We got questions!"

Last edited by Jeremiah Sheets; 9th April 2018 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Sheets View Post
When I was 20 (17 years ago now) I had already been mixing for three years and had been a musician for a dozen. I tried to get a part time job at GC for some extra income. I showed up to the group interview along with maybe 10 or 15 other people of all ages. I was one of the only people with a resume in hand and for all I know the only one who's resume contained proof of knowledge about the gear.
The manager had this to say to us:

"We don't really care if your resume is full of experience at big name studios or that you have previous sales experience. All we care about is that you show us your passion for being here. The last guy we hired never had a job before, but he called me twice a day for three days asking for the job, so he's the one that got it!"

I walked out and suddenly all of my future experience with GC made so much sense...
Hahahaha oh man that's rich!
Related: I had a job at Sam Ash years ago and the hiring manager did this thing where he'd make an interviewee wait for up to an hour for the interview. Some twisted logic about wanting the job bad enough. I remember being so pissed I almost walked out after over half an hour, but I was new to LA and needed a job badly, so I toughed it out. While working there I watched complete dipsticks blithely wait him out and other people that seemed pretty cool get disgusted and leave (didn't blame them). Not sure what he thought he was proving as it seems morons don't mind waiting...
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Could you elaborate? What exactly does "do good things too" refer to?

I can elaborate. I played a random bar gig once and a guy in one of the other bands on the bill worked at GC. We only talked for maybe 5 minutes but we exchanged numbers and he said he'd hook me up whenever I needed anything there. Not only did he give me whatever discounts he could but once he called me up and asked if I wanted a free cymbal. Apparently it was somehow "not in the system" so he could just give it away. I wondered why he didn't give it to his drummer instead, but I didn't ask questions, I just showed up and got it! It was something decent too though I don't recall exactly what as that was about 15 years ago.

I also got a free soft drum case from another disgruntled employee. I was buying a whole set and one of them wouldn't ring up or wasn't in the system either or something. I joked about just sticking it inside one of the other cases and giving it to me and he goes, "Sure, I already put my notice in anyway."

So.. they're not all bad!
Old 31st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackchandelier View Post
I can elaborate. I played a random bar gig once and a guy in one of the other bands on the bill worked at GC. We only talked for maybe 5 minutes but we exchanged numbers and he said he'd hook me up whenever I needed anything there. Not only did he give me whatever discounts he could but once he called me up and asked if I wanted a free cymbal. Apparently it was somehow "not in the system" so he could just give it away. I wondered why he didn't give it to his drummer instead, but I didn't ask questions, I just showed up and got it! It was something decent too though I don't recall exactly what as that was about 15 years ago.

I also got a free soft drum case from another disgruntled employee. I was buying a whole set and one of them wouldn't ring up or wasn't in the system either or something. I joked about just sticking it inside one of the other cases and giving it to me and he goes, "Sure, I already put my notice in anyway."

So.. they're not all bad!
So the "salesmen" let you steal (taking something without paying for it) merchandise from the store??? WOW that's great. Maybe the next time they will hand you some money out of the cash register. IMPRESSED! NOT!!!
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the "salesmen" let you steal (taking something without paying for it) merchandise from the store??? WOW that's great. Maybe the next time they will hand you some money out of the cash register. IMPRESSED! NOT!!!
lol to each their own, but I think the internet could use a lot less judgement from afar.
Have you worked for these corporations? I did, and while I never "stole" from them, I don't blame anyone who went around the rules. These are low paying, barely livable wages with ****ty benefits and the top managers get freebies all the time, have huge salaries and generally crap on the floor employees any chance they get. The American Dream, eh?
Life sucks for everyone in one way or another
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
These are low paying, barely livable wages with ****ty benefits and the top managers get freebies all the time, have huge salaries and generally crap on the floor employees any chance they get. The American Dream, eh?
Life sucks for everyone in one way or another
Sooo.... don't work there? Or do they also cage employees between shifts? Pretty sure part of the American Dream is to improve one's position, not bitch about the current one..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
Sooo.... don't work there? Or do they also cage employees between shifts? Pretty sure part of the American Dream is to improve one's position, not bitch about the current one..
Minimum wage was created with the intention that it be a livable wage. Thanks to decades of corporate lobbying where billions of dollars have been spent buying members of government, minimum wage is now a poverty wage. The idea of the American Dream once included the dignity of work but now there is no dignity of work because so many have bought into the idea that some jobs are "for teenagers" or are "entry level." If someone is working 40 hours a week, they deserve to make a wage that allows them at least the basic means of survival: food, clothing, and a place to live. In nearly all places in this country today that cannot be done on minimum wage. The disparity between wages at the top and wages at the bottom is greater now than ever in our history. Wage increases used to be tied to production to a large extent. In recent decades, we've seen production soar; we've seen CEO salaries soar; we've seen wages at the bottom remain stagnant. If people are bitching, they have good cause to bitch.

And just to be clear, this is not a self-serving post. I worked a full career which allowed me to retire last year on a pension that will keep me comfortable for the rest of my life. Raising the minimum wage will not effect me directly. I support it because it's the right thing to do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

About 10 yrs ago at GC San Jose, pro audio section:
Eager Beaver Me: "hello, I am looking to get a new vocal mic..."

GC employee looking at me with super fuzzy red eyes, has not said a word yet: .............
(the guy has fallen asleep, his head between his arms on the counter he starts snoring)

Me:...."hello?"...

(I must be quite a boring guy)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpe View Post
Then I guess GC gets what they pay for, employees with sticky fingers...
I just knew someone wouldn't be able to resist posting something like this, but most peoples' economic realities don't align super well with unlimited upward mobility. I didn't take a job at Sam Ash because I wanted to, it just seemed the lesser of two evils between retail hell and drug dealing (which obviously paid way better). And hey, I'm super stable, have a college degree (masters now), excellent communication skills, etc., but I also had to pay rent and put gas in my car and finding a job isn't always easy in a big city, unless you want lowest rung **** work. Which I did for a while. At some point though, I'd like to see people get more critical of exploitation business practices and corporations' race to the bottom treatment of their employees rather than ragging on minimum wage employees for skirting the gray areas their employers create. (And believe me, not putting inventory in your computer system and then claiming losses among other shady crap is something the Sam Ash store did ALL THE TIME)

It's really a post for a different topic/forum, but the American dream you're pitching is a fantasy, especially now. But I also vote with my wallet and don't shop at these outlets anymore either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search