The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center Studio Monitors
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear
yes but gold is pretty

gold does have better conductivity and connection transfer not to mention no corrosion issues, but sound, ...unless you are able to hear Eric Johnson differences in electrons or types of cabinet screws...
Old 29th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
yes but gold is pretty

gold does have better conductivity and connection transfer not to mention no corrosion issues, ...
True, but not for optical cables
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skept3k View Post
I'm pretty sure these guys get sales commission so that's probably why they try so hard to sound like they know what they're talking about.

I went to a local GC few days ago to audition some monitors. They had the weirdest setup, though. They had all the monitors in they're own section/booth. The area was so small and awkwardly shaped, it had a huge glass window running across, the rack of monitors were spaced very far apart from each other, and zero acoustic treatment anywhere. I really felt pretty pointless listening to monitors in that room, plus the guy didn't have an ipod cable so I could listen to my own tracks.

Anyway, they had a deal on Yamaha HS80 @ $299ea. They guy kept going on about the deal and it's only for today. Well there was a pair of them in the box and he kept saying how he only had this one last set "man", it's really good deal "man", today only!

So I look up and on the shelf storage I can easily see 3 other sets of the same monitor... XD
$50,000 in Sales with $10,000 of it being profit is about $500 commission check for 1 month. 2 guys at my store that I used to work at got something like that, a few more got about $100. Its hard to pull commission checks at GC.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Maniac

Here is a good one .... just recently saw this and had to laugh (for a couple of reasons)

Attached Thumbnails
Stupid things you've been told at Guitar Center-photo.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

They just opened one up in Emeryville (in the Public Market place, been eating there for years, going to Borders afterwards). I needed some DeOxIt and didn't want to wait for ground shipping so I figured I'd see the new place.

They have a practice/testing room near the back. A small squarish room, it reeks of foam. Surprising because there isn't much foam in there... But I'm sure it soaks those big fat bass waves up, no prob man!
Old 5th March 2012
Here for the gear

Just happened a few hours ago:

Me: Can I listen the SE Egg Monitors?
Him: sure! (turns the volume up to a ear-blowing level)
Me: oh, can you turn it down a bit please...? This hurts my ears!
Him: of course, but they sound better that way.
Old 6th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminee View Post
Just happened a few hours ago:

Me: Can I listen the SE Egg Monitors?
Him: sure! (turns the volume up to a ear-blowing level)
Me: oh, can you turn it down a bit please...? This hurts my ears!
Him: of course, but they sound better that way.
hehhehheh
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

GC Employee: Can I help you?

Me: No, I don't think so

GC Employee: Are you looking for anything?

Me: My sanity....do you sell that here (he obviously didn't hear what I said)?

GC Employee: I have to ask my manager. Did you want to pick it up today?

Me: That would be great! In fact, I'll take all that you have in stock, seriously! Hey, please ask him to hurry up, I've got 5 kids and two gallons of ice cream in the trunk (on a 97 degree summer day)....and I mean they're ALL in the trunk - my car is a two seater.

GC Employee: No problem.....be right back.

Me: Right. (As he is walking away)....Oh, and hey.....don't worry, I still have all of the room in the front seat to take it home.....today!

GC Manager: Hi, I'm ____________, so.....you're looking for a.....?

Me: Yep, a pipe organ and a flugal horn. Your associate said that he thinks you took in a flugal horn yesterday.

GC Manager: um......

Me: What, no flugal horns?

GC Manager: Do you own a computer, do any recording, do you have a DAW, a favorite DAW?

Me: Yes, I have both a computer and a dog but I only play music on the computer.

GC Manager: Let me get somebody from pro audio.....we have some good virtual instruments that might cover your needs.

Me: Any flugal horns?

GC Manager: Be right back......

GC Audio Pro: Hey! So, I hear you're looking for a new DAW?

Me: No, I have a dog....two, in fact.

GC Audio Pro: Two DAWs?

Me: Yes, Spider and Max. Great dogs, I love 'em both. They're in my truck. Should I bring them in?

GC Audio Pro: Not needed. I can show you some things in the DAWs we have here.

Me: You sell dogs here?

GC Audio Pro: Sure do!

Me: cool!

GC Audio Pro: Check it out, there's all kind of instruments that you can load up.

Me: Surgical instruments?

GC Audio Pro: Dude, you can totally get surgical if you want.

Me: Cool! I'd love to but my mom never lets me. She's in the truck. Should I bring her in?

GC Audio Pro: (ignoring the last sentence) So, like what would you like to hear?

Me: How about a guitar?

GC Audio Pro: You want to check out a sample library?

Me: No, thank you. Just a guitar.

GC Audio Pro: No, I mean a sample of a guitar?

Me: You mean that there are samples of guitars that I can take home?

GC Audio Pro: Um.....well, if you decide to buy it, but um....well, you know....they're ah.....you know, they're for sale?

Me: Isn't it against manufacturer policy to sell your samples? I knew a cologne salesman that got time for doing that kind of stuff....in NYC....busted, right there on the sidewalk.

GC Audio Pro: Huh?

Me: Yep, right in front of all of his friends.

GC Audio Pro: Okay, so.....

Me: Can I see the samples. You know, to see if I like them?

GC Audio Pro: Hold on a minute - do you mind if I take care of this other customer?

Me: Well, I do have the kids and ice cream in the trunk.....and it's kinda hot out.....can't you just give me a sample, just ONE sample?

GC Audio Pro: Let me ask my manager.

Me: Wait.! I've been here for two hours, kids and ice cream in the trunk - they've probably melted by now - I've been run all over this store, people are talking in circles and you can't give me one stinking sample?!?! Not ONE?!?!?! The guy at the counter gave me two, TWO guitar picks.....and one was red......you can't give me just one sample? Two hours and not a single sample?

GC Audio Pro: So, you said guitar right? Maybe you're in the wrong department.

Me: You might be right. I should have stayed in the glove compartment but I didn't like what was in there.

GC Audio Pro: Know what you mean. Be right back, okay?

Me: No, it's okay. I left my wallet at home anyway. Hey, when are you working next? I can come back.

GC Audio Pro: I'm not sure. Let me get my manager, he can tell you the schedule.

Me: Okay. Oh, and please ask him about the sanity that I mentioned.

GC Audio Pro: You got it!
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Mad,

If you really pulled that off, you could teach a thing or two to Sacha Baron Cohen.

If not, you've still got a great imagination.

- Jim
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Head

Does anyone know of good "pro-audio" alternatives to GC in Seattle, WA?

I got my guitar at emerald city guitars, but I have yet to find a good place to try out interfaces, etc without GC salesmen breathing over my shoulder...
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaysguitar View Post
I have yet to find a good place to try out interfaces
Don't hold your breath.
Besides, it won't tell you if it will work for you.
Do you homework, buy what you think will work for you.
Use it with your own system and see how you make out.

Why do you think there are so many people here on Gearslutz, etc.?
There is more knowledge here than in all of the music stores in the world combined (plenty of bull**** and voodoo too, but the signal to noise ratio is till pretty high if your reading comprehension is decent).
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

I've been GC free for over a year now. B&H has better prices and inventory, and there is a local store that has anything I would need in an emergency.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Mad,

If you really pulled that off, you could teach a thing or two to Sacha Baron Cohen.

If not, you've still got a great imagination.

- Jim
Hope you enjoyed it, Jim
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Anybody else notice the constant apology stream???

I hit up GC now and then...maybe 3 times a year...give or take, if my usual suppliers are out or I get a really great coupon deal that I can't pass up.

I went in to get a DB25-TRS 8 channel cable. Forgot my DB25 ended in XLR...needed TRS. Whoops. This was thursday, gig on sunday. My usual haunts that I get gear didn't have what I needed, so it was a purchase of convenience. As long as they had something "moderately" priced (i.e. not the $229 Mogami one..no offense..Mogami is great..just don't need something that crazy) it would work.

Live wire brand. $80. Whatever. I need it...the first gig alone will more than cover that.

While I was checking out the guy apologized like three times for the price. Why?? If I wanted to bargain shop, I should have done it earlier. If I walk in and just ask for something like that...don't push me away from it. I don't go buying DB25 cables for a hobby. I just need it....stop apologizing for doing your job....especially 3 times.

Seems like every time I go in there to buy anything...people are apologizing for prices. Good gear isn't cheap....get over it.

Last week I went in to my usual gear guy and just said..."Want to get rid of a pair of K12's? (QSC speakers)...and all he said is "Yes, I do..."

Thank You. Let me spend my money and maintain my own (dis)illusions about how it's benefiting me.

Howie J
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst
Me: Okay. Oh, and please ask him about the sanity that I mentioned.
The whole thing! I haven't laughed so hard since... Mixerman, is that you?

Quote:
There is more knowledge here than in all of the music stores in the world combined
Hmmm. Guess not. heh
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post

What, no flugal horns?

Chuck would be PISSED!!

That would NEVER happen at Manny's in the old days!

(...Or even at a Meat Evaluation Conference TODAY!!!)

Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Addict

I went to the checkout desk where there's the register and wall of guitar strings.

me: "can I get a set of D'addario 11's."
them: Blank look.
me: "do you have any brand sets of 11's?"
them: Shoulder shrug, eyebrow raise, "I really don't know"
me: 'ok, let me see... yep I see them. there they are on the wall'
them: finger pointing at each set of strings
me: 'nope, nope, go down, nope, nope, no... stop! yep those ones, let me see those ones'
them: "are these them?" handing the strings over
me: Yep. Thanks!

Kind of ironic the sign says "guitar" center
Old 13th May 2012
Gear addict
ME: I'd like to see what kind of DATs you have

Pro Audio: WHat's a DAT?

This is while they were still in use...
Old 13th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketanner View Post
ME: I'd like to see what kind of DATs you have

Pro Audio: WHat's a DAT?

This is while they were still in use...
I tried to by an ilok in the computer section of a music store a couple of years ago. They'd never heard of them.

matt
Old 13th May 2012
They didn't know what NS10's were...
Old 16th May 2012
I have been saving my nickels and saving my dimes and tomorrow I'm heading down to the wondrous Guitar Center in Albany, staffed by excellently hip people, to pick up a few things I've been hankering for lately.

Absolute blessing to have this place so freeway close, where even if some salesman didn't recognize the term "NS10" you yourself could probably look over his shoulder and see a pair sitting on the shelf, along with thousands of other mouth-watering items.

That's what I think of when I think "Guitar Center," I think "this is just great to see all this stuff within the radius of my fingertips"... not "why isn't everyone here a walking encyclopedia?"
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Just be happy you still have high street or low street! Musical instrument shops :+)
Old 17th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I have been saving my nickels and saving my dimes and tomorrow I'm heading down to the wondrous Guitar Center in Albany, staffed by excellently hip people, to pick up a few things I've been hankering for lately.

Absolute blessing to have this place so freeway close, where even if some salesman didn't recognize the term "NS10" you yourself could probably look over his shoulder and see a pair sitting on the shelf, along with thousands of other mouth-watering items.

That's what I think of when I think "Guitar Center," I think "this is just great to see all this stuff within the radius of my fingertips"... not "why isn't everyone here a walking encyclopedia?"
Lucky, my local guitar center doesn't have **** in stock so if I want high end gear I cannot even test it, I have to special order it...
Old 18th May 2012
Gear interested

Guitar Center employee selling original Line 6 Pod: "..trust me, the 'black face' is just like Neil Young's "whizzer".
Old 19th May 2012
Gear maniac

2 true stories

Story #1:

(I'm demo'ing a Mood Voyager and see that it is defective)

Me: Hey dude, you got a broken Moog over here.
GC: Oh yeah man, that thing sucks, no one can get a sound out of it.
Me: Well it's an awesome synth, it's a shame it's not working.
GC: You want it, you can have it for 50% off just to get it out of here. It's a final sale though! So it's your problem now!
Me: Yes!

I walked out with a brand new Moog Voyager for $1500. Shipped it to Moog who obviously fixed it for free. The problem...a bad internal battery.

Story #2

Me: Hi, is that Vintech 273 really $1000?
(normally $1700)
GC: Yeah, we're blowing it out.
Me: Is it used?
GC: No, it's just a display model. It's just been sitting there for months, no one wants to buy it since it's a no-name brand.
Me: Does the price include the power supply.
GC: (Laughs) Of course! All our items include their power supplies.
(The power supply is $225 and sold separately)
Me: I'll take it!

Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbird Studios View Post
Story #1:

(I'm demo'ing a Mood Voyager and see that it is defective)

Me: Hey dude, you got a broken Moog over here.
GC: Oh yeah man, that thing sucks, no one can get a sound out of it.
Me: Well it's an awesome synth, it's a shame it's not working.
GC: You want it, you can have it for 50% off just to get it out of here. It's a final sale though! So it's your problem now!
Me: Yes!

I walked out with a brand new Moog Voyager for $1500. Shipped it to Moog who obviously fixed it for free. The problem...a bad internal battery.

Story #2

Me: Hi, is that Vintech 273 really $1000?
(normally $1700)
GC: Yeah, we're blowing it out.
Me: Is it used?
GC: No, it's just a display model. It's just been sitting there for months, no one wants to buy it since it's a no-name brand.
Me: Does the price include the power supply.
GC: (Laughs) Of course! All our items include their power supplies.
(The power supply is $225 and sold separately)
Me: I'll take it!

I got a "broken" Ibanez hollowbody for $75 because I felt like learning the guitar. I took a peek on the inside while I was a the store and saw a wire just flopping around the inside.

The clerk rang me up and explained that the sale was final, and that their "guitar guy" couldn't figure what was wrong with it. I went home, reconnected that wire to the volume pot, and enjoyed my brand new guitar.

I went by the other day to get a few mics at price match. The clerk assured me that I wouldn't be able to find a lower price, but then I pulled up a few different websites and saved about $250.
Old 31st May 2012
Gear maniac

I got the one guy that's not a ****** on Sunday. Instead of scoffing at my not playing sloppy asshole-metal, he told me to crank it up when I started playing U2 and Modest Mouse, which isn't really a virtue, I was just shocked that a GC employee would react that way. He was very agreeable and worked with me. After A/B-ing amps for about an hour, I decided to leave without purchasing anything because I really couldn't find anything that was going to be suited for me. As I was leaving, he simply said "good decision." He atually stated himself that he wouldn't try to get me to buy something beyond my intended price range.

Let me reiterate that. A Guitar Center employee verbally confirmed that it was not his intent to try to force products on me that he knew were out opf my price range, and also approved of my decision to not buy anything.

Why did I not get that guy's name?
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

Awesome thread!

A few months back I went with a friend to grab a pair of HS80ms. We were talking to an associate in pro audio about speakers and my friend was saying how he was buying the Event Opals as well and was going to have the HS80ms just for simple reference now and then. The sales rep proceeded to attempt to tell us that all Event speakers are plain awful, and that the HS80ms were clearly better than the Opals in every way and translate better. He went off for a good 15 minutes about the Yams. Eventually we decided to leave and take our business elsewhere.

Ended up getting em online instead. We haven't been back to that GC since.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear addict

Buying an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet...

Me: Do you have a new one or just the display piece?

GC Guy: Let me check... ...Nope, just this one, but since it's the only one we have I can sell it to you for the same price as one from the stock room!

Me: The same price?!?!

GC Guy: Yeah, the ones we put on the sales floor are built sturdier than the regular ones. But since we're out of them, I can sell you this one for the same price!

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search