The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Scams
Old 22nd October 2016
  #1
Studio Scams

Do you guys get e-mails like this?

There's always a driver involved. I don't advertise. Beware.

Any other scams you're seeing out there?

Quote:
Hello,
I'am Andrea,i should probably visit or call in person but presently am just recuperating from the diagnosis of lung cancer and am still in the hospital.

I want to book 10hr recording session for my Twins Nephew on 7th of next month as a surprise for not attending their birthday party,i making this confidential surprise for them so i have made an arrangement with the private driver that will bring them.inform me on the following below:

1.Let me know the price you will charge for 10hr with mixing and mastering of 3 songs?

2.Let me know if 7th of next month is available or any other date?

3.Let me know if you accept credit card payment?
Old 22nd October 2016
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
zero64's Avatar
 

I've never received an e-mail like that, but it sure sounds fishy to me. Most people would simply send an e-mail asking to book a block of time on a particular date, without the cancer or private driver explanation.
Old 23rd October 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Just do play devils advocate... I've gotten legitimate requests similar to this from people wanting you to feel sorry for them and give them a discount. Although this one seem particularly strange, just tell him he needs to pay up front since he's booking for someone else and paying himself. Worth a try!
Old 23rd October 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Sounds like a scam to me but I'm surprised studios are being targeted.

Not sure how it works but I've heard of scams where people make a deposit (that's no good) into an account and then ask for a refund.
Old 23rd October 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Ok I can book that date I need your CC and ID and I will charge your CC in advance to hold the day because you are a new client.
Old 23rd October 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
Cash up front.
Old 23rd October 2016
  #7
This particular one - definite scam. Already reported in moan zone.

Anything where someone is incapacitated therefore can't talk on phone, or when the circumstances sound fishy (involving drivers, requiring you to do stuff other than just frickin record...avoid or get paid cash!
Old 23rd October 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
The dman's Avatar
 

Interesting I received an email through my website the other day that's very similar to this minus the lung cancer. It seemed normal but the fictitious sounding name on the email was something like John Smith which I thought was a little weird. Thanks for the heads up
Old 23rd October 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
I get that one alternating with another one that goes "I have a label/Im a producer/ etc with 3 artists who need to book time. Do you accept credit cards." It's always 3 artists and they always are going to come by a hired car that needs to get paid up front by the studio. Sometimes I play along for a while and keep talking about my fictitious uncle who owns a livery company, seeing how long I can string them on and how frustrated I can get them.
Old 24th October 2016
  #10
I get these all the time

Only the name changes

Hello, My Name is XXXXXX,I am hearing impaired that is the reason why i am contacting you through email,i would like to know if you are available for a Recording Studio session service,How much do you charge per hour and also per day? and do you accept credit card as a payment method?,i will also need the following information from you:

Your Name.....
Your Studio Address.....
Office Phone number.....
Mobile Number....
Are you the Studio Owner.....

Regards,
XXXXXX.


If I play along this is what he will reply

I appreciate your response,Am scheduling this appointment on behalf of my children as a surprise package for them.They all want to record their songs because it is what they like doing,they are based on HipHop and jazz music...Can you do the voice work for them ?,Get back to me with total estimate for 3 times in a week voice work, just 4 hours of voice work session per day and for 5 weeks,I have 3 kids, that is 4 hours per day 3 times in a week for 5 weeks and the starting date is 29th of this month.... 1(Female) 2(male),And also want you to know that they will be coming along with their private van driver and i'll appreciate if you can secure this appointment for them for me, waiting to hear back from you Soon...
Thanks...

Best Regards
XXXXX
.

It is all a big SCAM and sometime they will want to send you a check and have you give some money to the van driver for traveling expenses or some such thing and of course there check will eventually bounce but they will cash your check and leave town.

I get two or three of these a month and always the exact same message only the person's name changes. They even have the same spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. Oh well I guess it is just something that comes with internet access.
Old 28th October 2016
  #11
Here for the gear
Hey y'all,
This week I received this email:

Hello,

I got your email while surfing the internet for a reputable recording studio.

I would like to know if you do music recording and how much you charge

per hour for your sessions. I have three artists that will be needing your

service.Also,what type of payments do you accept and which days do you

have available from 10th and 11th of next month ?

I will be waiting to get the informations I requested and we can

proceed from there.




Seemed a little awkward and formal but I decided to reply - then they sent this in response:

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response. I am hearing impaired and am
scheduled for surgery soon.I shall text you with my number or chart.
I would like us to communicate via email or you can send your cell
phone number and we can communicate via sms.I am booking this
sessions on behalf of my artists.

I would like you to make vocal recording for three singers. Each
singer will do two songs including mixing for a maximum of 6 hours.
The singers have a private driver that will bring them on their
sessions dates. I would like you to get back to me with suitable
time to come in also the total cost for your service.
I am responsible for the payment Let me know the types of
credit cards that you accept. I will be waiting to read from you
as soon as possible.

Warmest Regards.


That seemed incredibly fishy so I looked it up on GS and sure enough - the whole "hearing impaired" story showed up, although the wording differed a bit. I won't be responding.
Old 28th October 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

These hearing impaired guys should really find another line of work!
Old 28th October 2016
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Dzilizi's Avatar
They are all hearing impaired after having listened to the crap music made by their kids/artists!

Save your ears! Turn down the jobs!
Old 8th November 2016
  #14
Deleted 7f9cade
Guest
These emails! Recovering lung cancer patients! I get almost the same thing with just a few variations.

I get these a few times a month as well. Those darn lung cancer patients and their cousins, fathers, brothers, nephew.
Old 10th November 2016
  #15
Latest one...

Hello am XXXX, I got your contact details while surfing the internet for a (Reputable Recording Studio). I would like to know if you do vocal music recording and how much you charge per hour for your sessions. I have three artists that will be needing your service. They do country music and they will be recording individually with each artist spending 6 hours each to add vocals to their pre- recorded tracks, Also , what type of payments do you accept and which days do you have available between Last week November and December i will be waiting to get the information I requested and we can proceed from there.

Regards,
XXXX


Oh well....more electrons killed no other harm done...
Old 10th November 2016
  #16
Well, look at that, I just got one...

Hello,
My name is xxxxx,Please refer me to the owner or manager. i would like to know if you are available for a music recording session.I would also like to know your rates per hour or session. do you accept credit card?,i will also need the following information from you:


Your Name.....
Your Studio Address.....
Office Phone number.....
Mobile Number....


Regards
xxxxx


I almost replied...
I was thinking "how did you get this email? I don't record just anybody, and I certainly don't charge for recording. I'm a record label with an in-house studio, so I have to decline."

But, then I figure then they'll know I'm an actual target, so best to not engage.

Last edited by donsolo; 10th November 2016 at 04:23 PM..
Old 11th November 2016
  #17
Deleted 7f9cade
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post


I almost replied...
I was thinking "how did you get this email? I don't record just anybody, and I certainly don't charge for recording. I'm a record label with an in-house studio, so I have to decline."
Same here. Sometimes they almost get me. Ive been lucky so far but with so many emails (2/3 being internship requests) it can be hard to distinguish.
Old 13th November 2016
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
Same here. Sometimes they almost get me. Ive been lucky so far but with so many emails (2/3 being internship requests) it can be hard to distinguish.
Hey, pass this one around? This is another PSA worth sharing:


I find it's easier to skip the scam now that I operate as a label rather than just a studio.
Old 13th November 2016
  #19
Deleted 7f9cade
Guest
Sure thing. Young high school bands are usually the ones who fall for the pay to play scam (but wait! you can sell tickets at $20 each) LOL
Old 13th November 2016
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
Sure thing. Young high school bands are usually the ones who fall for the pay to play scam (but wait! you can sell tickets at $20 each) LOL
Well, I got an infraction for trying to help.

I think I'm going to take a break from GS.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 13th November 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I am glad I stumbled upon this. I get these and I don't even own a public studio and never have. I am pretty sure they are coming from ReverbNation as it's a site I setup up, and my bio has not been updated in years, which may lead someone to believe I am a studio owner. I don't respond so the whole paying a driver and getting "reimbursed" never came up. I knew it was a scam but I didn't get how they would make money until now. I really doubted anyone would be ballsy enough to actually show up to a studio and meet you, then reverse charges or something and rip you off like that. Now it makes sense.

I also get a ton of this for pay to play shows and features. That's an old scam in general but in the digital realm, I think they are trying to truly rip you off, not just have you pay to do a show (or get your music "marketed"/circulated), now I think they are trying to just pocket your money entirely and do nothing for you.
Old 27th June 2017
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Hello, they are attempting to scam my studio as well. A scam for sure.... BEWARE! Below is the emails we received:

First email:
Hello,I would like to know if you do music recording and how much you charge per hour for your sessions. I have three artists that will be needing your service. Also , do you accept credit cards as a form of payment??

Second email:
Thanks for your swift response. I am hearing impaired and am scheduled for surgery soon. I would like us to communicate via email or you can send your cell phone number and we can communicate via sms. I am booking this sessions on behalf of my artists. I am an agent and I have three artists that do country music.I would like you to make vocal recording for three singers. Each singer will do two songs including mixing for a maximum of six hours. The singers have a private driver that will bring them on their sessions dates. I would like you to get back to me with suitable sessions dates (preferably 6,7,and 8 of july) and also the total cost for your service.I will like to use your engineer and I need you to add his charges for the three days. I am responsible for the payment . Let me know the types of credit cards that you accept. I will be waiting to read from you as soon as possible.
Old 27th June 2017
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaugle1 View Post
Hello, they are attempting to scam my studio as well. A scam for sure.... BEWARE! Below is the emails we received:

First email:
Hello,I would like to know if you do music recording and how much you charge per hour for your sessions. I have three artists that will be needing your service. Also , do you accept credit cards as a form of payment??

Second email:
Thanks for your swift response. I am hearing impaired and am scheduled for surgery soon. I would like us to communicate via email or you can send your cell phone number and we can communicate via sms. I am booking this sessions on behalf of my artists. I am an agent and I have three artists that do country music.I would like you to make vocal recording for three singers. Each singer will do two songs including mixing for a maximum of six hours. The singers have a private driver that will bring them on their sessions dates. I would like you to get back to me with suitable sessions dates (preferably 6,7,and 8 of july) and also the total cost for your service.I will like to use your engineer and I need you to add his charges for the three days. I am responsible for the payment . Let me know the types of credit cards that you accept. I will be waiting to read from you as soon as possible.
I got the exact same one and it was emailed to over 100 studios. It is a SCAM like all the rest.

I did get a phone call from someone wanting to book studio time for himself and wanted to know what forms of payment we accept and if we could do the recording on a certain date..I tried to explain that we were a mastering studio but it was then I realized I was talking to a robo call and there was no human on the other end. I hung up before the "if you can book this date push #1 " These scams are getting out of hand.
Old 8th August 2017
  #24
Here for the gear
They are on to the same scam again this year. Got this email: for Andrea Mario <[email protected]>

Hello,
I'am Andrea,i should probably visit or call in person but presently am just recuperating from the diagnosis of lung cancer and am still in the hospital.

I want to book 10hr recording session for my son Andrea Roberton by 7th of next month as a surprise for not attending his birthday party,i want to make this a confidential surprise for him, so i have made an arrangement with the private driver that will bring him to your studio.inform me on the following below:

1.Let me know the price you will charge for 10hr with mixing and mastering of 3 songs?

2.Let me know if 7th of next month is available or any other date?

3.Let me know if you accept credit card payment?


Sent from my iPad
Old 15th August 2017
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMikeC View Post
They are on to the same scam again this year. Got this email: for Andrea Mario <[email protected]>

Hello,
I'am Andrea,i should probably visit or call in person but presently am just recuperating from the diagnosis of lung cancer and am still in the hospital.

I want to book 10hr recording session for my son Andrea Roberton by 7th of next month as a surprise for not attending his birthday party,i want to make this a confidential surprise for him, so i have made an arrangement with the private driver that will bring him to your studio.inform me on the following below:

1.Let me know the price you will charge for 10hr with mixing and mastering of 3 songs?

2.Let me know if 7th of next month is available or any other date?

3.Let me know if you accept credit card payment?


Sent from my iPad

Got the exact same one.
Old 13th December 2017
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Hey guys,

I just got the same email here @ Downtown. I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread, reading it reminded me how lucky We are to have the engineering community. Thanks for looking out for one another
Old 13th December 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Heartless buggers!

Poor Andera has had lung cancer, and just wants to pay for her son to record some tracks. Now she can't find anyone to help her unfortunate son with a girl's name, and has had to write to over 100 studios, just trying to get someone to take her money.

You should all ashamed of yourselves

If anyone disagrees, please reply with you shipping address and the name of the person in your building who orders your office supplies...... If I'm wrong I'll send you a company check for $5,000, and all you have to do is send me $1,000 back by wire transfer as soon as the other check clears.
Old 29th October 2018
  #28
Here for the gear
Seems similar

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I think I may have just gotten a variant of this scam:

"I want you to help me Record songs for my 6 new artists and i will like you to know am out of the state for a business trip and i want to get this done before my arrival, so let me know if you can handle this for me perfectly, thanks"

This is the 3rd e-mail. First asked if we take credit cards [we sometimes do, but not from someone 200 miles away who seems to have no background information whatsoever]. He then asked about taking checks, which we do but only with a substantial down payment up front and time for the check to clear. He totally ignored the information about fees and sent me the above.

He's also texted and called on the phone but didn't leave a message when I didn't pick up. Again, no background information, no information on the artists - not even a genre - no information on how he fits into this scheme.

I've told him that we can't fit him in, but would gladly contact his agency or company when we can, to which I've not received a response.

Maybe I've just hit the studio jackpot, but I suspect not. Will publish name, e-mail and phone if folks think this would be helpful even though I can't prove it's a scam....
Old 30th October 2018
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanschuetz View Post
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I think I may have just gotten a variant of this scam:

"I want you to help me Record songs for my 6 new artists and i will like you to know am out of the state for a business trip and i want to get this done before my arrival, so let me know if you can handle this for me perfectly, thanks"

This is the 3rd e-mail. First asked if we take credit cards [we sometimes do, but not from someone 200 miles away who seems to have no background information whatsoever]. He then asked about taking checks, which we do but only with a substantial down payment up front and time for the check to clear. He totally ignored the information about fees and sent me the above.

He's also texted and called on the phone but didn't leave a message when I didn't pick up. Again, no background information, no information on the artists - not even a genre - no information on how he fits into this scheme.

I've told him that we can't fit him in, but would gladly contact his agency or company when we can, to which I've not received a response.

Maybe I've just hit the studio jackpot, but I suspect not. Will publish name, e-mail and phone if folks think this would be helpful even though I can't prove it's a scam....
On the "Scam O'Meter" this request probably rates a 95% of being scam.

Been getting lots of emails from people wanting to record in my studio, problem is we are not a recording studio. We do mastering and restoration.

They all want to know if we take credit cards or checks, what our rates are, and the address and phone number of the studio. One asked for our bank account number so they could transfer the money to our account. They are all scams and all want to pay with a check or credit card and could they send us more money than the charges so they can get some money for travel. Of course what ever way they pay there will be no money in the account and if you give them money you will be out that cash. Some of the people writting are deaf, some are recovering from cancer, some are doing this for their child's birthdays or some other ruse to separate you from your money.

A word to the wise. Don't

Be safe and have a GREAT week.
Old 30th October 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Yup - Variations of the "cash back" scam using a forged or stolen check have been around for decades, relying on the public belief that, if the check clears and money is deposited in your account, the check was "good."

just remember everyone. A forged or stolen check remains a forged or stolen check, even if it "clears" when it is initially deposited in you account. The true owner can still recover his/her money from you, apart for the embarrassment of explaining to the police how a forged/stolen check ended up in your account.

"Clearing" does not establish that a check is genuine. It only establishes that the account exists and there is sufficient funds in it.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump