The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quit weed 5 weeks ago and feel like I lost creative inspiration
Old 17th June 2016
  #1
Quit weed 5 weeks ago and feel like I lost creative inspiration

Hi guys,

I quit smoking weed about 5 weeks ago for a job and everything is cool except my creativity feels like its gone. I try to make new beats but every time I sit down to make a new track I simply repeat what I've been doing and start thinking too much like i'm forcing myself to be creative. I go in to make a beat only to just freeze at my computer and this has been going on for weeks now. I see myself playing the same melodies/style/progressions and cant think of anything new its been pissen me off. Then when you force yourself to do something new you just think too much and you freeze up and lose all creative inspiration to move forward.

I was smoking lightly only about one to two times only at night for like 8 months before I recently quit cold turkey but damn It really took a toll on my creative side. Everything else seemed to improve though.

Anybody every dealt with this before? Cuz right now I am fully convinced that Weed really makes you much more creative musically. But Technically slows you down lol.

For now i'm just writing some terrible music but i'm trying my best to push through it. I write a beat arrange it and then mix it but It just comes off too musical and nothing that is worth much I feel. My inspiration is totally off and its been 5 weeks already.
Old 17th June 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Dave_Ionic's Avatar
It's all in your head man. Seriously smoking dope does not magically enhance creativity it just makes you think it does.

Just relax unless you are a very disciplined writer you are going to go through uninspired periods. It will hit you and you will be like damn I knew I had it. Until then...well just practice.

Last edited by Dave_Ionic; 17th June 2016 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 17th June 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
josha's Avatar
 

what do other people think who aren't stoned? So many times I have been deluded about how great my music is because I was high.
Old 17th June 2016
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
It's all in your head man. Seriously smoking dope does not magically enhance creativity it just makes you think it does.

Just relax unless your are a very disciplined writer you are going to go through uninspired periods. It will hit you and you will be like damn I knew I had it. Until then...well just practice.
I know I've read a few other forums of people quitting and losing the spirit but seriously its been so off since then. Im not even joking. I still write and complete the beat/composition im writing and then give it a rough mix. But none of it is coming out good.

I just feel like i'm stuck in the same scale and writing the same melodies sort of? Maybe I need a few more weeks of sobriety before I really feel it come back but it sucks right now.

On the flipside I am super technically sharp though, I love to mix other friends tracks and when it comes to reading and other stuff I'm super sharp. I just have no creative inspiration to write something useful.

Maybe its the inspiration honestly like your're saying. It comes and goes.


Should I just stay away from music totally for awhile then?
Old 17th June 2016
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by josha View Post
what do other people think who aren't stoned? So many times I have been deluded about how great my music is because I was high.
I couldnt disagree with any of you're guys post, Its like I dont even have cravings to smoke weed because everything feels great being sober EXCEPT my creative inspiration.

Maybe I need to go back on the piano and practice new scales that I can express new ideas in?

One flaw I have is I am too used to making music in the same 2-3 minor scales bridged with a Major scale lol

Everything I'm writing nowadays just plain out sucks lilke I'm forcing the music no life in any of it.


What is the reason for that? I just came off producing the majority of this rappers songs to his album. I just have no inspiration now since I finished that up. Maybe a change of scenery or lifestyle switch up might help. I've had the same boring lifestyle for the past 8 months that might have something to do with it. lol I dont know man im just rambling now frustrated.

You know how it is, its the most fulfilling feeling in the world to be able to write and feel halfway satisfied with your new track.
Old 17th June 2016
  #6
Gear Nut
 

You sure that ure music sounds worse because of inspiration or that it sounded good because you were high? Just sayin
Old 17th June 2016
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Acid doesn't show up on drug tests,or you could get a medical marijuana card.
Old 17th June 2016
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
Acid doesn't show up on drug tests,or you could get a medical marijuana card.
Craaaazy suggestion.

To the OP, give it time. Drugs alter your brain, and it takes a long time to reprogram your thoughts and for the effect of drugs to leave your system.
Nothing is going to happen overnight.
I've worked with a couple of heavy dope users and they have become completely uncreative as the years have worn on. That's when the taking of the drugs has become more important than the making of the music.
So I think you are going in the right direction.
Old 17th June 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
This problem you have is easily solved. Go buy some weed and smoke it. Do you suddenly feel really creative? If so then maybe you have to smoke weed once in awhile. If not then it was in your head. You'll figure it out.
L.
Old 17th June 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfalcon1 View Post
You sure that ure music sounds worse because of inspiration or that it sounded good because you were high? Just sayin
Thats a good point

I can honestly say I had wild melodies just pop up in my head when I use to smoke. I experimented with it as well. I would smoke very lightly and notice the music would be a bit too strong and not smooth. Where when I'm high I dont overdue or try too hard. Thats the biggest thing.

THe more I smoked the better ideas and just better compositions came about. I might have to take 3-5 months to re program my brain from the weed.

The thing is I JUST graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree and every engineering job drug tests from what I've been told. I need to stay sharp for the job especially. Otherwise I'd gladly be smoking the finest right now lol

It sucks, like I said everything is amazing mood swings are gone, short term memory loss is gone, I think and make critical decisions much faster, but the only thing lost is the creative spirit I had while smoking.
Old 17th June 2016
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Craaaazy suggestion.

To the OP, give it time. Drugs alter your brain, and it takes a long time to reprogram your thoughts and for the effect of drugs to leave your system.
Nothing is going to happen overnight.
I've worked with a couple of heavy dope users and they have become completely uncreative as the years have worn on. That's when the taking of the drugs has become more important than the making of the music.
So I think you are going in the right direction.
Thanks that helps. I hear both sides to it. Honestly The ones who quit feel much more creative then when they were on drugs from what I've heard. So one can only hope
Old 17th June 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
I got off weed 17 months ago and went to thrift stores instead of the drug den and was able to double everything to do with my computers: double monitors and screen size, double CPU power, double RAM, quadruple backup hard drives.

varun213 - take some of the money you saved and go do something exciting! That helps creativity, you deserve to treat yourself, and you may notice your creativity is better than it ever was.

Last edited by JoeyM; 17th June 2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: deleted sleazy dealer reference
Old 17th June 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

I hear you loud and clear. I move data centers for the largest banks in the world and it is completely a culture (and testing) clash. Being asked to run a migration or even just reconciling a spreadsheet of 1000's of IP addresses/host names without a single miss is the most vibe-kill activity.

But I can assure you after a decade with the same issue, tt's really ok to have a workflow that moves from a brainstorming phase (LOL), into a execution/experience phase. Stuff goes in/Stuff goes out. They can help complement each other and keep perspective. Right/Left brain, its in our physiology.

Just take those creative beats and do something to get new experiences, or to even get those works out there now through production/playing/promotion/etc, and repeat!
Old 17th June 2016
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
Hi guys,

I quit smoking weed about 5 weeks ago for a job and everything is cool except my creativity feels like its gone. I try to make new beats but every time I sit down to make a new track I simply repeat what I've been doing and start thinking too much like i'm forcing myself to be creative. I go in to make a beat only to just freeze at my computer and this has been going on for weeks now. I see myself playing the same melodies/style/progressions and cant think of anything new its been pissen me off. Then when you force yourself to do something new you just think too much and you freeze up and lose all creative inspiration to move forward.

I was smoking lightly only about one to two times only at night for like 8 months before I recently quit cold turkey but damn It really took a toll on my creative side. Everything else seemed to improve though.

Anybody every dealt with this before? Cuz right now I am fully convinced that Weed really makes you much more creative musically. But Technically slows you down lol.

For now i'm just writing some terrible music but i'm trying my best to push through it. I write a beat arrange it and then mix it but It just comes off too musical and nothing that is worth much I feel. My inspiration is totally off and its been 5 weeks already.
Your creativity is still there, it's just that you had found an 'easy' way to get in the mood to foster that creativity (and enjoy its results -- which I think is a large part of it, actually) but now, cut off from that path, you're out of the habit of 'getting there on your own.'

Different folks have different approaches: long walks, reading, listening to different kinds of music than one's habit, exercise, meditation, switching instruments (and/or tunings for stringed instrument players), or, of course, some combination of those or other tactics.
Old 17th June 2016
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I smoke daily but have quit in periods and am not sure of the net effect. I've written some of my favorite stuff both high and not high. I do like to jam & try new ideas high moreso than sober for whatever reason. But I like to perform sober or maybe with just a couple beers but no smokey.

Weed was probably your way of not overthinking things when you write. I think I've written best when I'm in a mind frame of just screwing around without even having the goal to write a song. Sometimes this has even been when I'm really hungover and my brain is tired and I just crap out some random riff that is weird and different than anything I've ever played.

So maybe try and go into your sessions with the goal of just having fun
Old 17th June 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
Hi guys,

I quit smoking weed about 5 weeks ago for a job and everything is cool except my creativity feels like its gone.
guess what? It probably is! not trying to be negative here but there is a reason why people sm oke weed. just saying.


Have you thought about starting smack?
Old 17th June 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Eno - Oblique Strategies

Oblique Strategies
...though depending on the person, weed might actually enhance Eno's prescriptives, ya never know.

One thing that weed does that might aid in creativity for some is that for some it allows for introspection and metacognition. Again, this possibly could work either way, that it might aid or inhibit creativity, depending on the person, and what criteria determines or quantifies creativity.
Old 18th June 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
I think it's a great thing to be straight with yourself.

Don't try to be like your old self on drugs. Set your sights long term and practice some new skills. Rhythmic studies are often over looked. Learning how to put rhythmic motifs together extending into longer phrases is not for a stoned mind. It's somewhat mechanical but forces you to think logically. Once you are comfortable with a purely rhythmic foundation you will find adding pitches to be more fun and with less searching for inspiration.

Oh yeah, it helps to be fluent in rhythmic notation. You can practice anywhere. Analyze music with rhythm in mind. Build your rhythmic vocabulary and it'll be way easier to be creative. It's a great structural foundation for music creativity.
Old 18th June 2016
  #19
The concept that weed makes you more creative is just the product of pipe dreams.

Old 18th June 2016
  #20
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
JOb 1st these days .... thats why i work in TV and production .... no testing ....
Old 18th June 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
With any withdrawl, it takes time to get back on an even keel.

There is a huge difference between once in a while and all the time. Take control of life.
Old 18th June 2016
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
The concept that weed makes you more creative is just the product of pipe dreams.

haha nice, Im gonna fight through it. Thanks for every bodies input
Old 18th June 2016
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
Hi guys, I quit smoking weed about 5 weeks ago for a job and everything is cool except my creativity feels like its gone. My inspiration is totally off and its been 5 weeks already.

A whole lot of really creative people worry about this - Tom Waits talked about going clean and sober and his fear that nothing would work anymore...until he realized that it had nothing to do with sober and everything to do with
dedication. You will have to work just as hard and long as you always have - but you won't have the dulled senses to block the length of time out.


Embrace Sober - you will be enormously happier over the long run.
Old 18th June 2016
  #24
As an ex pot head, I agree with the statement that smoking pot only makes you 'think' you're good with it. But 'thinking' you're good is also part of what's in your mind that makes you creative. What your really 'want' to do is channel in your creativity 'without' smoking pot because in reality, being high actually makes people sloppy. It's been so long since I've been a pot head, smoking it now would totally mess me up where I couldn't play, sing or even record.

My suggestion would be to allow yourself to grow up...and I mean that in a nice way
Old 18th June 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Hey I forgot to mention that if you are near L.A. and have any weed that you are going to flush down the toilet or whatnot, I'll be glad to come by and remove any temptation.
L.
Old 18th June 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
These weed threads always entertain me. You have a bunch of gearslutz posting about how weed doesn't enhance creativity, yet probably none of you know the formulas of hit records or even recognize a hit record when you've 'stumbled' on a potential one. I love it when people blame weed on their lack of talent and abilities

"It's the weed man, it's holding me back"...

Like everything in life, moderation is the key.

Some people have a drink (or a few) before they hit the stage or studio, some people smoke a joint or take a few puffs. Some do both. And some are able to perform to the best of their ability under the influence or either or both.

It's not about getting blitzed and then looking for inspiration; it's really about getting in your comfort zone to perform or create. A bit of alcohol and/or good herb can definitely help with writer's block or performance jitters. This is common knowledge for **** sake. If you get stupid high and/or drunk and think you're gonna be at the top of your game, then you're an idiot...

If you can't produce the goods, it isn't the weed, it's you, unfortunately.

Find your comfort zone to realize your full potential, whatever that is...
Old 18th June 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
These weed threads always entertain me. You have a bunch of gearslutz posting about how weed doesn't enhance creativity, yet probably none of you know the formulas of hit records or even recognize a hit record when you've 'stumbled' on a potential one. I love it when people blame weed on their lack of talent and abilities

"It's the weed man, it's holding me back"...

Like everything in life, moderation is the key.

Some people have a drink (or a few) before they hit the stage or studio, some people smoke a joint or take a few puffs. Some do both. And some are able to perform to the best of their ability under the influence or either or both.

It's not about getting blitzed and then looking for inspiration; it's really about getting in your comfort zone to perform or create. A bit of alcohol and/or good herb can definitely help with writer's block or performance jitters. This is common knowledge for **** sake. If you get stupid high and/or drunk and think you're gonna be at the top of your game, then you're an idiot...

If you can't produce the goods, it isn't the weed, it's you, unfortunately.

Find your comfort zone to realize your full potential, whatever that is...
Right on! And completely sever ties with any substance you or close ones can't do in moderation. For me to stop the weed all those months ago, it was a matter of getting a PayPal card and wise buying habits on eBay and thrift stores, BestBuy and what not. But for the same money as to get high for a week, now I could buy a nice little tablet and have a different kind of high for far longer. And those buying highs are every bit as conducive to the good mood to create or at least be happy.

I ran into an old friend lately, and lets just say he reminded me of all the sleaze that can go on when you're not legal with it. Your "friends" are making a markup that's price gouging and you're one degree separation between some bad low lifes that are on much more controversial drugs.

I used to pride myself in making music for losers - thinking any old loser was a disaffected little angel that needed uplifting entertainment. Now I say it more like giving a bottle to a drunk. They pee on your lawn if you're lucky, come back for more and have nothing to lose in dragging you down.

Stick with the winners is another good rule, and if there aren't any, be one
Old 18th June 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Like everything in life, moderation is the key.
Some people have a drink (or a few) before they hit the stage or studio, some people smoke a joint or take a few puffs. Some do both. And some are able to perform to the best of their ability under the influence or either or both.
So true. When I was in college we started smoking when we got up and stopped when we went to bed. A lot of wasted days playing risk. These days I get high once or twice a month. It's a blast. And I seem to get a lot done. If playing guitar for a few hours straight is getting a lot done.
L.
Old 19th June 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

If you're struggling with inspiration, I'd try going back and listening to your favorite records. Pick one thing you love about a track and emulate it yourself, then write new and unique stuff around it to make it yours. There are lots of ways to do this that aren't plagiarizing but just great at drawing inspiration.
Old 19th June 2016
  #30
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Being a professional means having the skills to pull off your job even when you don't feel like it. People perform, write, cut the tracks, move the crowd, raise the roof, and rock out even when they have the flu, because the show must go on, and everyone is depending on them. Stay off the drugs. If you think they're doing something for you, figure out what that is, and take the time to learn how to do it reliably without them.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump