The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quit weed 5 weeks ago and feel like I lost creative inspiration
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
this is all such good stuff to hear ... right on to you !!!! i had to do a 17 hour day for a Live Concert Webcast - Ty Dolla $ign this past Sunday .. i was filling in as the Broadcast Tech Manager .. backstage was a Weed Fest .. so i had to walk through a Tsunami of Smoke most of the day .. it smelled so bad to me after a Month away from it .. and yesterday i stopped by the local pub because it was so hot i needed a little Air Con to help me sleep .. i did something i used to when not drinking many years ago .. Cranberry / Soda .. it was nice to see some friends and watch a little football .. did not stay long and had no cravings at all ..

have saved enough money to buy a new printer and few plugins .. and am now through what i would call my 1st round of Withdrawals and feel better .. not saying this is the end .. as i know it is not but it is a good beginning ..

i may have a beer one of these days but no time soon / not sure about the smoke as i want to get 3-6 months into this to get it mostly out of my system ..

i want to thank you for starting this thread as it got me thinking / and i have written a few things as well and my inspiration is getting better as well ..

cheers john
I didn't start the thread. I may have "started" the second page, not sure.

I also didn't "decide to quit." It was sort of an interactive process. Coming down, the baggage and downsides were obvious and pissed me off. WHY do I now face a week of fog and some pretty scary depression? Well...cuz I used up several months worth of dopamine in a few hours.

I am pretty thankful the process works in that order...if it was reversed...if it sucked to start but then got better...not sure I'd be clean now. As it was...the downside led to a decision to focus on the downside...make note of it and use those memories to counteract the Jones next time around.

And I didn't decide "never again" either...well...not till much later. What I decided was "not today". Knowing the rush wasn't "gone forever" made it a lot easier to avoid for now. Days of avoiding it stretched into weeks and during that time my overall perception changed. The negatives became more glaring and I worked into that. I reached for more positives specifically to replace all of that and it sort of turned into the opposite of a vicious circle.

The better I felt, the better I wanted to feel, and the more I stepped away from the party, the further and faster I wanted to be away from it.

So much evidence is clear to me now, but the one thing above all else...NObody I know who parties hard is happy. They all say they are but nothing else they say or do supports the claim. Always crying about just about everything.

Looking forward to a great day today. Another in a long string of them. Scored two massive old school style roadcases for $30 yesterday. Live rig cables go in one and the other has room to organize stuff I hadn't even considered yet. Kinda laughing at me...for getting so much mileage out of a couple beat to **** boxes on wheels...but its a GOOD thing.

With lights programmed and in the truck, I have a big piece of my house back. Not sure what to do with it yet but I know I'm going to enjoy figuring it out. Somewhere in there...guitar...bass...vox....who knows? Might just mix some old projects. Find a bridge I couldn't before.

I know this though. What I won't be doing today is digging holes, risking my freedom, chasing a dragon or going backwards. Come tonight I'll be smiling as much as now...or more.

:-)
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I didn't start the thread. I may have "started" the second page, not sure.

:-)
oh, you are so correct ...

Varun has not posted here since June .. hope he / she is doing well ..

i will do a quote to see if they respond ..

another good day for all !!!!

cheers john
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun213 View Post
Hi guys,

I quit smoking weed about 5 weeks ago for a job and everything is cool except my creativity feels like its gone.
hey Varun .. how are you doing ????
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Weed mostly inhibits my creativity. The only time it seems to work for that is when I've already recorded the chord progression of a song and I start writing the bass line. Don't know why but taking a hit of weed and grabbing a bass just works for me. However in any other circumstance it works against me. Strange.
Old 1st October 2016
maybe that bass is your "spirit instrument"?
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
maybe that bass is your "spirit instrument"?
I've been a guitarist since I was 12 but I've gotten way more compliments on my bass lines than anything else. Maybe you're right!
Old 1st October 2016
The beauty of stoping is your tolerance drops to zilch. So after a couple of weeks one or two hits do the trick. That little that infrequently is perhaps below the threshold.

Is it worth the risk?
Did getting real high on one hit after 6 weeks produce music?
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
hey Varun .. how are you doing ????
hey jwh1192, sorry for the late reply ive been off of gearslutz for a while. I have to say approaching my 6 month of sobriety that the creativity is only getting better to a point where I feel its better than when I was on weed!

Amazing and really appreciate the help and support I got over here.
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
hey jwh1192, sorry for the late reply ive been off of gearslutz for a while. I have to say approaching my 6 month of sobriety that the creativity is only getting better to a point where I feel its better than when I was on weed!

right on ... i am just over a month in ... went through few things but getting better all the time !!! thx for your inspiration to get started !!!

cheers john
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear
Smoking weed has nothing to do with enhancing creativity, but everything to do with getting high!! The byproduct of getting high in some people may be increased creativity, but that potential was already there whether or not they smoked the weed, took acid, hit the bottle, the needle, whipped themselves or snorted some coke or PCP.

Think of it like sexual lust/attraction from a heterosexual male's point of view. The intoxicant (weed, booze, amphetamine, psychotropics, meditation, self flagellation, etc.) is akin to an attractive woman's sexy looking body or maybe her pheromones. It is the STIMULANT that arouses sexual lust -- nothing more, nothing less. Yet without this stimulant there is no lust, no excitement, no passion, no drive but just the mundane, lame, regimented, robotic, predictable, boring everyday routine of a meaningless existence that for 99.9% of humanity amounts to an involuntary servitude to a fascist corpotocracy called "democracy". If you don't believe me and you are a heterosexual male, try getting it up thinking about your converter's jitter artifacts, or perhaps the Schroder integral on an ETC graph -- ya know, the kind of stuff that peeps around here are thinking about obsessively whilst they talk a big talk about not needing stimulants/drugs to initiate creativity.

So yes, feel no guilt whatsoever for indulging in as many intoxicants as possible. "It's better to burn out than fade away" in the lame, tame sanity=slavery game better known as (to those well initiated in the psychotropic arts) the holographic, dystopic illusion of unreality called the "real world."

But I forgot that this is a forum of geeks who obsess over what kind of cables to buy, or whether or not they are hearing jitter artifacts on their converters -- hardly the place to look for any constructive advice about the esoteric subtleties of mood, creativity, expanded consciousness, art, music, philosophy, etc.

The blind leading the blind -- same as it ever was.
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Smoking weed has nothing to do with enhancing creativity, but everything to do with getting high!! The byproduct of getting high in some people may be increased creativity, but that potential was already there whether or not they smoked the weed, took acid, hit the bottle, the needle, whipped themselves or snorted some coke or PCP.

Think of it like sexual lust/attraction from a heterosexual male's point of view. The intoxicant (weed, booze, amphetamine, psychotropics, meditation, self flagellation, etc.) is akin to an attractive woman's sexy looking body or maybe her pheromones. It is the STIMULANT that arouses sexual lust -- nothing more, nothing less. Yet without this stimulant there is no lust, no excitement, no passion, no drive but just the mundane, lame, regimented, robotic, predictable, boring everyday routine of a meaningless existence that for 99.9% of humanity amounts to an involuntary servitude to a fascist corpotocracy called "democracy". If you don't believe me and you are a heterosexual male, try getting it up thinking about your converter's jitter artifacts, or perhaps the Schroder integral on an ETC graph -- ya know, the kind of stuff that peeps around here are thinking about obsessively whilst they talk a big talk about not needing stimulants/drugs to initiate creativity.

So yes, feel no guilt whatsoever for indulging in as many intoxicants as possible. "It's better to burn out than fade away" in the lame, tame sanity=slavery game better known as (to those well initiated in the psychotropic arts) the holographic, dystopic illusion of unreality called the "real world."

But I forgot that this is a forum of geeks who obsess over what kind of cables to buy, or whether or not they are hearing jitter artifacts on their converters -- hardly the place to look for any constructive advice about the esoteric subtleties of mood, creativity, expanded consciousness, art, music, philosophy, etc.

The blind leading the blind -- same as it ever was.
High (Hi), "The blind leading the blind -- same as it ever was" ... excuse me, but can you point me to the Cliff Please, i cannot seem to find it on my own !!

Gems of something, but not sure what .. this is the Moan Zone not High End (PUN Intended)

please take this however you will, because i feel like if i say, please don't take this the wrong way, you would anyway .. so here goes my uninspiring Friend ..

like all the other threads out there that you speak about people wanking off about nothing .. you managed to Wank Off on us !!!

the key is, if you have nothing to say constructive in a thread like this, the best thing is to " i will let you fill in the blanks" !!!

cheers and beers, have a great day fellow gearslut !!!

now back to our regularly scheduled program .. the Beer Channel !!!

john
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Great to here this man.
Old 12th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
right on ... i am just over a month in ... went through few things but getting better all the time !!! thx for your inspiration to get started !!!

cheers john
It does get better but I still have the urges every now and then to just take a hit but its really like seeing your ex GF that you are completely over but wouldnt mind spending a few moments with. if that makes any sense haha Completely controllable. You are much more productive for sure.

All the best!

cheers
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

The 'does it enhance creativity" debate is an interesting one.

I've recorded demos for people on a local level for more that 40 years. I'm also one on the small segment of the population that weed doesn't seem to do much for, so I probably have a jaded view, but:

My own observations, culled from countless sessions are:

[1] weed smoking really seems to slow things down in the studio. After the weed comes out, the rate of progress usually drops noticeably, even if you remove the time actually taken to smoke.

[2] it seems to make musicians more introspective or internalized. I presume this is where the feeling of greater self-awareness and creativity comes in. However that same effect seems to make communication between band members more difficult. In extreme cases, even communication with the engineer is impaired, and simple requests like "stand a little further away from the mic" become hard to accomplish.

[3] Sometimes I've noticed that the smoking seems to actually overshadow the band or the purpose of rehearsing/recording. I've played in bands where I really got the impression that the main purpose of getting together was to smoke, rather than to work on music. If you're not a smoker, this is incredibly frustrating, as so little actually gets done.

this is not IME confined to weed. I've also played in (and left) bands where the singer or the guitarist was too drunk to stand reliably by the end of rehearsal. Again, it was a total waste of time.

Whether it has a more benign or helpful effect in the context of solo creativity, I don't know , because, as I said, it doesn't make me feel good at all. Anyone out there with a very different experience?
Old 14th October 2016
This might be of useful addition to the discussion:

Old 20th October 2016
Gear Guru

Some people do feel more creative with an altered state of mind. Maybe pick a different state to write in? My best ideas come to me after a night of dreaming or late at night when I should have been in bed hours ago. The thoughts just kinda stream together to form strange ideas. If my bedtime is 11 and I stay up until three or four in the morning, if I have a pen and pad with me, magic happens. I jot these ideas down, try them out in the studio when I'm more awake, and a lot of the time it works.
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Some people do feel more creative with an altered state of mind. Maybe pick a different state to write in? My best ideas come to me after a night of dreaming or late at night when I should have been in bed hours ago. The thoughts just kinda stream together to form strange ideas. If my bedtime is 11 and I stay up until three or four in the morning, if I have a pen and pad with me, magic happens. I jot these ideas down, try them out in the studio when I'm more awake, and a lot of the time it works.
nice, as i got up at 4am today (worked a Lauryn Hill show for 18 hours as tech manager on thursday and am still getting up early) .. i am watching the Ron Howard Beatles Doc and feeling inspired ..

very good point !!!
Old 22nd October 2016
No weed for me! Just my little studio and making music with my synths!

Oh yes, and a cup of coffee!
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Guru

Also, minimizing distractions helps a ton. I miss the days when PC's didn't have WiFi adaptors built into them. As long as I didn't run a network cable into the studio, the studio was for music only. Right now I'm in the middle of a project and here I am on GearSlutz again and shopping for gears.
Old 23rd October 2016
Gear Guru

i had a few beers yesterday hanging with some friends .. but staying off the Smoky Smoke .. not cravings which i feel is really good for me .. !!!
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

I'm an acupuncturist and from the perspective of Chinese Medicine, the fact that you aren't feeling as much inspiration makes total sense. Weed stimulates your liver and releases a lot of liver qi (energy). In Chinese Medicine, the liver energy is responsible for inspiration, vision, making plans, growth, etc. It is associated with the season of spring. The thing is, when we smoke, it causes our liver to release qi (energy) really quickly and creates a spike in creativity but over time actually diminishes the amount of energy that we have access to. That's why some people that smoke a lot won't feel this anymore, because they are depleted. It's like you are taking money out of the bank and lowering your deposits over time. If you stay off of it and let your liver and other organs replenish themselves, you will be able to build your natural capacity for creativity. It may not be released as rapidly as when you smoke weed, but that is depleting anyway, so really not sustainable.

I also am tempted by the creativity that weed helps me tap into. I think it is ok on rare occasions to shift perspective, but as a daily habit, it is actually diminishing your capacity for creativity, inspiration etc. Hope this helps!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I can say that smoking weed can give you a sort of hallucination, these are not real. These are just a piece of ****ed up mind from weed. True imagination comes from a clear mind that flies everywhere in this world and sees all thing without being there. I suggest you to quit smoking weed, it is really bad for your mind. You can become a psychopath. I suggest you to read this article how to mentally prepare to quit smoking weed and I am sure that you will quit smoking weed. It is not hard, you can do this. Believe me, you will have perfect inspiration after you fully quit smoking crap.
Old 4 weeks ago
An acupuncturist stumbles onto an audio forum and necros a 4 year old thread to babble about unmeasurable, made up energy from a pre-scientific age...

Sounds like the moan zone! Pass the bong!

p.s. Don't take advice about your liver on gearslutz, none of that made a lick of sense. See a doctor if you're worried about your liver. A real doctor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJasmineW View Post
I am feeling the same thing. I like to paint a lot and I smoked weed to paint something ( I got a lot of ideas when smoked) Now I don't smoke and I am feeling like I don't have any ideas. Can I get some help?
In all honesty, I'd suggest seeing a therapist. A new perspective might be needed and digging into your specific issues would be the best way to talk it out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best to check in with a weed-smoking therapist. Lots of visual artists indulge now 'n then, being legal (medical and recreational) where I live sure drives any paranoia down to controllable levels, same with beer and ale.... excessive use will kill the buzz, mess with your health, and goof with your well-being. In that order. * Can't give you any reeferals, though.
https://www.deviantart.com/

Last edited by AfterViewer; 4 weeks ago at 08:20 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Weed enhances your senses. Makes those Cheetos taste better than they really are. Makes your music sound better than it really is and that's why people think it helps their creativity. When pertaining to music that's the illusion I've fairly recently come to realize.

If weed turned people into creative juggernauts then the amount of great music that exists today would be 1,000,000 times more than it is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi, everybody. Honestly, I don't know what this might be related to. I don't think it's because of weed. I also didn't use weed for a long time, but I didn't see any changes after I stopped using it. In General, I advise you to change weed . I for example switched to CBD oil and I am happy. There is no sense of loss of creativity and inspiration. I suggest you try it . Or continue using it at all, since it's cool. Many of my friends also don't use weed anymore , but they didn't say anything about losing their creative inspiration. Now they've all switched to CBD oil, too. They also thank me for it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear