The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apple sucks sometimes
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Apple sucks sometimes

Just bought a new macpro and realized after getting it home that it does not come with an airport card. Ghetto.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

As opposed to PC desktop computers which all come with airport....
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
Just bought a new macpro and realized after getting it home that it does not come with an airport card. Ghetto.
My Mac didn't come with one either. WTF. ALSO my Mac didn't come with a 30" Cinema display!!! What's wrong with Apple? When are they gonna get their sh*t together!!!

Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I am about to buy one and didn't realize that either. Is the only option usb wireless stick or pci wireless airport card? I would have to waste a pci slot on that.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
As opposed to PC desktop computers which all come with airport....
The big difference is, that PC's have more than enough slots to add one, if you want.
Mac's don't.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

How about those proprietary power cables? Apple, you're on notice.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

gotta read the specs carefully. for that kinda dough i guess you expect airport. my imac came with airport, but i think that was true of certain models.
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

you can buy the airport card from any apple store for somewhere around $50. it has it's own slot of the logic board, so it doesn't take a pcie slot. apple's reasoning is that most professionals are on gigabit networks (hence the dual gigabit ports on the mac pro), and don't use wifi.

peace

chris
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had Airport and Bluetooth installed in my Mac Pro at an Apple store a couple of months ago. Its like $43 for the Airport and $22 for Bluetooth, with free installation. Nice thing is that it is installed into your motherboard so that it doesnt use up precious PCIe slots.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
The big difference is, that PC's have more than enough slots to add one, if you want.
Mac's don't.
That is not true. The airport and bluetooth have their own dedicated slots. No cards needed. Unlike most PCs which need the extra slots for that stuff.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsoloist9 View Post
you can buy the airport card from any apple store for somewhere around $50. it has it's own slot of the logic board, so it doesn't take a pcie slot. apple's reasoning is that most professionals are on gigabit networks (hence the dual gigabit ports on the mac pro), and don't use wifi.

peace

chris
Exactly what he said.

Its also a case of buyer beware. I am guilty of it to so don't take offense here, but thats why we gotta do our homework before we buy and know exactly what is included with the deal.

This isn't a lecture btw, just reminded myself and others.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mac's don't.
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless View Post
That is not true. The airport and bluetooth have their own dedicated slots. No cards needed. Unlike most PCs which need the extra slots for that stuff.
Uum, you can get MB's with built in wifi on the PC. heh
Old 29th January 2007
you know where this thread is going..

to hell.. or the moan-zone
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
you know where this thread is going..

to hell.. or the moan-zone
Harley said it right.
Whatever you get, double check the specs.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Harley said it right.
Whatever you get, double check the specs.
To Reinterate - treat any purchase like your buying a car. You wouldn't buy a car or house without knowing everything you need to know about it, so why do it with other things that are still important to you albiet cheaper. Still, we are all guilty of not doing our homework at somepoint or another.

Thanks Mark.

P.S. George, I'm out of this thread. I'm a big fan of leading by example, so lets all walk away from this thread.

-Uh oh... Batcountry
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mac's don't.
If you are going to continually slag Apple at least come up with something that makes sense.

How about just putting an airport card in?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
If you are going to continually slag Apple at least come up with something that makes sense.
He didn't know something, and now he knows. No need to stab at him. Ignorance sucks yes, but we all are guilty of it at some point.

Anyways - Just put in an airport card. Shop around for the cheapest.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Why are people so delighted to find fault with Apple?

It's almost like an easter egg hunt... they find something they think is a fault, experience a rush of adrenaline and declare it for all the world to see: Look everyone, I found one! I found a flaw in an apple product! See, not perfect!

There's so much verve to find fault with Apple that while obviously Apple has flaws, the excitement for some people to find them is so overwhelming that it often results in declarations of flaws that don't really exist.

There's never the same glee in finding fault with Microsoft. I'm not comparing PCs to Macs here, I'm comparing the sense of overwhelming delight (so overwhelming it must be shared immediately with as wide an audience as possible) whenever someone thinks they've found a zit on Apple's face, but the lack of similar exuberance when coming across flaws with MS.

If you look at this forum, there's declaration upon declaration that Apple Isn't Perfect, but not the same with MS. Is it because people expect Apple to be perfect, or they view Apple like the popular kid in highschool and are happy to find out that he's not perfect, or expectations for perfection with MS are simply not there to be joyfully punctured, or what?

In any case, it just kind of struck me that you get that all the time with Apple - "LOOK! Apple isn't perfect!!! Apple is dead!!! Apple doesn't come with a built in secretarial staff like my friend's law office that uses XP!!! My Apple crashed at extreme high altitude and refused to transport us down to sea level like even my Sikorsky helicopter used to be able to do!!!" etc - but not with MS.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post

How about just putting an airport card in?
Seems there's at leats oen Apple owner who was also unaware that the airport and bluetooth modules can be installed internally.
Old 29th January 2007
I was surpirsed to find out that the new 80GB Video iPods no longer include a power supply/charger. Yikes. If you want one it's $29 extra.

I remember when Digi took the printed manual out of the 001 in favor of popping a PDF on the installer CDROM. You can buy the full manual for $15.00.

Ever downward price pressure and squeezing margins are making me feeel the pinch.

As for the mac pro, when I sell them to clients I go down the list of options and add-ons and get a 'Yes' or "No" to each. I have several customers who specifically did NOT want the Airport card, as they were dedicating their Mac Pro to audio production and did not want to have wireles capability.

To each his own. Ignorance may be bliss, but it is no excuse.

-gil
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
"Apple is dead!!! Apple doesn't come with a built in secretarial staff like my friend's law office that uses XP!!! My Apple crashed at extreme high altitude and refused to transport us down to sea level...' snip snip
LoL - Very true. I had a half hour to kill at work one day, so i played a shootem up game online. Anyways some gamer was going so nuts about vista, and started calling me out (silent at the time I was) because my handle was "macbook user". Anyways cutting story at the knees I've never seen such pure ignorant defense of microsoft in my life, and I wasn't even trying to bash MS! Some people just have the blinders on. Like ProTools users *Thats for you Henchman*

Its really a question of do you prefer : Blue Screen of Death? Or Spinning Ball Dizziness?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
I remember when Digi took the printed manual out of the 001 in favor of popping a PDF on the installer CDROM. You can buy the full manual for $15.00.
Personally, even though it is totally off topic...

I am 50/50 on this. It sucks because you have no hard copy, and reading off the screen sometimes blows due to eyestrain. But on the flipside it saves trees, pollution due to printing presses, and the Digital PDF Version at least has a pretty fast and sweet search function.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Why are people so delighted to find fault with Apple?

It's almost like an easter egg hunt...
Hey, guys! I found ANOTHER one! Apple railroads it's users to buy new ipod cables since they made firewire obsolete on the new ipods! Woo hoo!!! I'm off to the Apple store now and I've already thrown my old cables away!!! Let me know if you find anymore because THIS IS FUN!!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems there's at leats oen Apple owner who was also unaware that the airport and bluetooth modules can be installed internally.

Just gotta RTFM. It's not like it's a big secret or anything.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly View Post
Hey, guys! I found ANOTHER one! Apple railroads it's users to buy new ipod cables since they made firewire obsolete on the new ipods! Woo hoo!!! I'm off to the Apple store now and I've already thrown my old cables away!!! Let me know if you find anymore because THIS IS FUN!!
Pardon my blissful ignorance, but what iPods are firewire??? I thought most if not all were usb 2.0.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
Pardon my blissful ignorance, but what iPods are firewire??? I thought most if not all were usb 2.0.
http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2..._firewire.html
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes they can. All of my Macs have airport cards in their airport (not PCI) slots.
Old 30th January 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

My macbooks came with airport cards. Non of my towers ever came with the cards.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uum, you can get MB's with built in wifi on the PC. heh
Oh so you are right then. Apple does suck because some PC manufacturers put wifi on the motherbaords as opposed to Apple who makes it available on ALL MBs.

How can you deny that you merely are on one of your anti Apple/Anti Protools rants? You were wrong, just leave it at that and leave it alone. You don't need to be insecure because you use a PC. They work jsut fine and won't work any better by trying to libel apple.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search