The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there actually a good Studio pet?
Old 24th January 2007
Is there actually a good Studio pet?

dogs bark...cats chew on wires...birds are noisy...

Fish? Ferrets? Mice?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post

Fish? Ferrets? Mice?
a monkey!
they might help u MIX!thumbsup
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fish? Ferrets? Mice?
Dogs don't bark if you choose the right breed and train it properly.

Personally I think fish are the perfect studio pet. A 100+ gallon tank with an Oscar, a Florida Gar and a Clown Knife is a very cool thing to watch...Especially when you throw in a dozen or so goldfish.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Dogs, it is all in the training- but some breeds are less inclined to bark than others.
We have an English Bulldog who only barks if there is something seriously going wrong (break in or needs a poo- and the latter only when she can't come and tell me- like a door is closed.).

Get a bulldog- they rock
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Bulldogs were never my type, but your dog looks to cool. whats her name ?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj View Post
a monkey!
they might help u MIX!thumbsup
bat's can hear up to 90khz ! now that would be a good mixing assistant heh
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

The perfect studio pet is:

Wait for it...

(tongue in cheek)

A pet rock!

No mess, no noise (unless thrown!) and doesn't need feeding!

Other than that, I concur with fish and tank, tho the tanks can be a bit noisy (hum and burbling) they are very cool, and at least the fish are quiet!

best with it,
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

ferrets-

not only will they bite your clients and chew on wires, they will crawl behind the equipment and crap in places you can't find.
Old 24th January 2007
500 series nutjob

sam is the perfict pet
Attached Thumbnails
Is there actually a good Studio pet?-sam6.jpg  
Old 25th January 2007
cute rat..you can tell he's domesticated from his anus aparently (according to Larry the Cable guy lol)

do you have chewing problems with rats?
Old 25th January 2007
500 series nutjob

not really any problem but she dose like to chew on my wife's cloths.
she is the most loving animal you could imagine.
my daughter found her in a plastic box in the school parking lot a couple years back and i got stuck with her, i am very glad as i do love this little rat.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Chinchilla or hedgehog =) j/k They are cool though.

I like the snake idea, as they are low maitnence and really enertaining come feeding time for drunk/stoned musicians =)

P.S. Nice Bulldog James
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

A gimp?

(Can't believe I said that)....
Old 25th January 2007
I like rodents too much to feed a snake.

It's nice to hear the rat bastard found a good home...it takes a very special person to love a rat.

I don't know why, I think they're the coolest.

I'm really leaning towards ferret though...you can walk them.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
Bulldogs were never my type, but your dog looks to cool. whats her name ?
Her name is Scarlett O'Hairy
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards ferret though...you can walk them.
Get a male. My ex-girlfriend had three. One Female, Two Males. Bottom line in that species is Female Ferrets are VICIOUS!!! After being attacked countless times I believe her!

(Cool pet nonetheless) just get a male!
Old 25th January 2007
I hear the males are stinky though...

I never heard the female thing before...
I'd also adopt an adult rather than a baby one...the biting I don't really have a LOT of patience for.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I always dreamed of a tunnel (filled with water) right underneath the singing-booth.
I would raise sharks there as alternative to Auto-Tune.
Right to the console would be the lever for the floor(pit-)trap....
There's enough food out there for my little babies....
Old 25th January 2007
with freakin laserbeams on their heads
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear
abyssinian cats are phenomenal studio cats. they can be a little vocal sometimes, but i've got two and they don't chew on anything, they mind their manners and stay off the gear (it's one of the more intelligent breeds, incidentally, but not as bytchy as siamese) and they love to hang out on the couch or on top of the rack listening/watching as i work on music. abby's also tend not to be shed-crazy, dander-licious cats and so are great for people (like me) who have cat allergies. unless you're really hypersensitive, you won't suffer the burning eyes/running nose allergic reactions that happen with other cats.

then again, as against hypersensitive clients, cats generally may not be the best choice for your studio.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

When we were in our old building, (big loft space over-looking St. Louis), the studio owner thought it would be a good idea to get a big parrot and let it fly around free. We had lots of artificial plants and stuff every where, so it was kinda cool....for like 2 minutes.

It started sh*ting all over everything. The client couches, the live room floor, the secretaries papers, our big cool mirror in the lounge, the Control24....you name it.

Inevitably, as soon as you and that classical guitarist nailed a take that just took 2 hours to get right, you would call him into the control room just to notice a very, very faint "AWWK, AWWWK," halfway through it. Those damn birds are louder than you can imagine.
As we moved into our new, nicer building we were taking the bird in its cage down the elevator and a woman was talking about how much she loved birds and how beautiful our parrot was.
"It's yours" replied the studio owner.
Stay away from birds in the studio. I'm so glad to be rid of that thing.

The aquarium thing sounds pretty cool but I get irratated at the very quiet noise from the power amps and hard drives, I cant imagine having a bubbling sound on top of that.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
not really any problem but she dose like to chew on my wife's cloths.
she is the most loving animal you could imagine.
my daughter found her in a plastic box in the school parking lot a couple years back and i got stuck with her, i am very glad as i do love this little rat.
I don't want to alarm you, but I read that sometimes rats may be evil wizards transformed into animals. Animagi, to be precise. It was in a Harry Potter book so it has to be true. Of course, it's quite possible that your rat is an actual rat. But if it isn't, you may be in grave danger so, you know, you should keep an eye out for this.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...cats chew on wires...
I had a cat who chewed on wires, but only the crappy ones. She left the good stuff, the Canare cables alone (the cat had no sense of puns, I guess). Strange but true.
Old 29th January 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
I don't want to alarm you, but I read that sometimes rats may be evil wizards transformed into animals. Animagi, to be precise. It was in a Harry Potter book so it has to be true. Of course, it's quite possible that your rat is an actual rat. But if it isn't, you may be in grave danger so, you know, you should keep an eye out for this.
lol
heh heh
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

I have a Shiba Inu that has made a great studio dog. He has the demeanor of a cat, stays out of trouble and is very quiet unless he needs something. Even then, he'll usually walk up to me and nudge at my arms or legs to get my attention, he only vocalizes when I'm not paying attention (and when someone knocks on a door).

Once or twice a year though, this breed sheds, and it's scary. Clumps of fur everywhere. It usually lasts about a week.

His name is Kichiro, and his favorite thing to do is sleep.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

how about a nice pot-bellied pig?

they look like this when young:
Is there actually a good Studio pet?-pot-bellied-pig.jpg

and then grow to look like this:
Is there actually a good Studio pet?-arnoldpig.jpg

a face only a mother could love.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Get a drummer.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I just got a Great Dane pup for my wife for Christmas. I'm freaking a bit on how to train it to be a good studio dog. Any advice would be most welcome. It's about 11 weeks old right now. I'm not sure what the Frick I was thinking getting her this dog. Oh Well... The deed is done and She loves it (me too I think). That's the important thing.

Chris
Old 31st January 2007
500 series nutjob

dogs are so very willing to please reward them when they do what you want and a gruff vocal scolding or show of disapproval when they do not, they will train themselves.
as for house braking get a book called how to housebrake you dog in 7 days.
the method if followed works very well.
Old 31st January 2007
500 series nutjob

oh obedience class are always a good investment.
find someone in your area teaching a class they have them for puppies and up.
the class are generally limited in size so sine up asap.
it will pay of.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search