The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording has ruined my love for the guitar
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
Recording has ruined my love for the guitar

Now that I'm deep into it, have actual clients, and blow all my money (what little of it there is) on new gear, I've realized I haven't played guitar in about a month. Guitar used to be what defined me... I studied classical guitar in college, I spent hours and hours every day trying to perfect Clapton solos (still can't nail Crossroads and make it sound right!), and I think about guitar non-stop all day.

Now my guitars sit in the closet. I have no less than three pieces of studio gear open on my desk with schematics and soldering irons everywhere, I get emails from guitarists a month after I'm done with the recording complaining about little volume changes, you can't walk into my fake studio without tripping on an iso transformer or a bad insert snake, and my console is constantly in a state of disrepair as I attempt in vain to track down minor humming issues that drive me mad.

Now its this that consumes me. This is what defines me. What the hell happened?

My real profession is live sound. I work freelance for a number of companies and make a good living. Studio stuff is my hobby, and I guess my passion now. I haven't written a song or really tried to nail "Moto Perpetuo" in a long time, and the problem is: I'm not sure I really miss it. I feel like I should, but I kind of don't.

This kinda crap happen to anyone else?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Might just be a phase, not unusual......you ll pick up the gtr again.......or maybe not......doesnt really matter as long as it feels good.....people change

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Sometimes I feel exactly the same, especially after my band quitted... which meant even less playing...

You're not the only one!
Old 21st January 2007
500 series nutjob

i have my ups and downs.
i use to grab my guitar for a relaxing escape from reality now i grab the vodka and hit the couch.
Old 21st January 2007
actually the more I record the more I want to play guitar again, the escape comment is really true...Guitar becomes your hobby as recording becomes your livelihood.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Every now and then i take little breaks from playing the guitar (usually when i have alot of projects to work on) but i always come back to it. I dont think guitar playing will ever get old for me, thats like saying i could get tired of listening to music, theres always something new to listen to..or learn. For example I got into shredding and all that stuff a few years ago and i can sweep and tap pretty decently now (not saying im yngwie malmsteen or half as good as him) but after a while of that it just got kinda dull so recently ive been getting into alot of fingerstyle playing and some jazz. I also spend alot of time recording bands but about a quarter of that time, im working on my stuff..be it my band (metal) or a side project (jazz or something like that), i try to keep a big variety of styles in my playing. For me, recording started because of playing guitar, i wanted to record my own songs and eventually i figured it was a ton of fun and started recording other bands.

I dont think its over for you, when the work load lets up a little bit and things start running smoothly im sure you'll pick it up again.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
... and the problem is: I'm not sure I really miss it. I feel like I should, but I kind of don't...
If you don't miss it, there really isn't a problem, except for guilt.

One thing is as good as another as something to be into. In cosmic scheme of the universe, recording, guitar playing, stamp collecting, learning to speak ancient Greek are all more or less equal.

perhaps your guilt is coming from some kind of loyalty to your former self who put guitar first, and put so much energy into it. I wouldn't worry about it. Do what makes you happy now.

But I also wouldn't sell my guitars. It could very well be that the focus of your passions will change yet again.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

work, rest or play - we need em all and need to know which is which

and allocate enough time, effort and money to all !

Keeping the balance should settle your soul..

answer this?

Recording is................W,R, or P
Guitar playing is..........W,R or P

and then you'll know whats missing .....................anyway hope this
helps
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Now my guitars sit in the closet.
Take it out of the closet, out of the case, and put it within easy reach. Seeing it will make you want to pick it up and play more often. Playing is good for you.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Take it out of the closet, out of the case, and put it within easy reach. Seeing it will make you want to pick it up and play more often. Playing is good for you.
Seconded. I set my drums back up in our space last year when I realized "Holy Crap, do I ever miss playing real drums". (99.9% of the drums I do are programmed.) Even though I'm only playing for 30-45 minutes at a time, it's SERIOUSLY therapeutic, and I've gotten some of my chops back too!
Old 22nd January 2007
The funny thing for me is I love playing so much more now, that I don't have to take every dumb gig. I earned my living primarily as a guitar player, when I was 28 I started engineering. The thing that helped me was I still continued to work as a guitar guy. As time has gone on now the majority of my income is from my studio, but I still make a fair amount of money playing. During the winter if the studio is real busy I'll actually lose my callases. Lately my thing to prevent that has been to buy some more guitars, it kinda keeps me wanting to play all these toys.
Old 22nd January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Ill second this, though dont put it somewhere in the way you'll get annoyed with it and put it back in the closet. But i agree that its good for you. My whole thought pattern changes when i play an instrument as apposed to programming
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I know what you mean. Same thing here.

I used to go out and spend 2000 dollars on a vintage fender because I really wanted to play through it...

now I go out and spend 2000 on a vintage fender because I want to be able to switch out amps when a pop rock band comes in with a MesaBoogie Triple Rectifier.

I bought a Bassman and a VibroChamp last month and have only spent about 7 combined minutes playing through them. I still like buying guitars and snare drums but I cant even remember the last time I sat down to play drums unless it was for a jingle I was working on that needed real drums and I had no time to call in a drummer.

Kinda sad in a way.
Old 23rd January 2007
we should start a gearslutz band lol
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
we should start a gearslutz band lol
When we record, who would engineer it?
Old 24th January 2007
The guys from MARSH
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Now that I'm deep into it, have actual clients, and blow all my money (what little of it there is) on new gear, I've realized I haven't played guitar in about a month. Guitar used to be what defined me... I studied classical guitar in college, I spent hours and hours every day trying to perfect Clapton solos (still can't nail Crossroads and make it sound right!), and I think about guitar non-stop all day.

Now my guitars sit in the closet. I have no less than three pieces of studio gear open on my desk with schematics and soldering irons everywhere, I get emails from guitarists a month after I'm done with the recording complaining about little volume changes, you can't walk into my fake studio without tripping on an iso transformer or a bad insert snake, and my console is constantly in a state of disrepair as I attempt in vain to track down minor humming issues that drive me mad.

Now its this that consumes me. This is what defines me. What the hell happened?

My real profession is live sound. I work freelance for a number of companies and make a good living. Studio stuff is my hobby, and I guess my passion now. I haven't written a song or really tried to nail "Moto Perpetuo" in a long time, and the problem is: I'm not sure I really miss it. I feel like I should, but I kind of don't.

This kinda crap happen to anyone else?
Same here

I started getting intrested in recording, so i would be able to record my own music
Now i am able to record my own music and kinda lost interest in (intensive) playing.

ironic isn't it

Remco
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

All is good

I have been playing guitar since I was 10 years old. Everything that you said sounds all too familiar. I also started recording for my own stuff and later developed into a stronger interest. I don’t know if this will make you feel any better; but, here is how I look at it now:

I used to live and breathe guitar and wanted to be the best. As my interests broadened, I used to feel guilty about my “abandoning” my love for playing guitar. What I later realized (for me anyway) was that it really is being CREATIVE and (hopefully) making art that is fundamentally satisfying. I discovered that manipulating recorded sound could be just expressive and creative, albeit in a different way.

I still play guitar, drums & Bass, and often find that it can be refreshing to rediscover an instrument with a fresh perspective after a break. I suppose I could be considered a “Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. Who cares though? It is nice to be versatile. It keeps things fresh for me.

I certainly was never fortunate enough to make a lot of money playing guitar, and if I was in it for the money, I would have quit years ago. We do it because we love it. For those of us fortunate enough to have all these fun toys to play with; it sometimes can be comforting to consider how lucky we are. Besides, you can play guitar AND record. That’s better than only being able to play guitar, right?

This is a rare moment of optimism for me. Don’t expect many more of these mushy, “feel-good” replies from me anymore!

Cheer up, Man. You’re doing fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search